Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    I suspect the recommendation for chains on the rear is more of a safety issue than a mechanical one. Imagine two senarios, one with chains on the rear and one with the chains on the front:

In High range, with the center diff unlocked, your torque tends to go wherever the resistance is the least. In a very low traction situation (glare ice, for instance), the chained axle (say front, in this case) will have the resistance and the rear will not. The result is the rear spinning. If you are accelerating around a curve, or perhaps, going downhill into a curve under braking, you might find yourself pointing in the wrong direction in a hurry when the tractionless rear breaks loose. This sudden about-face will also probably put you in the oncoming lanes, assuming you were lucky enough to keep 5200 lbs of momentum on the road that is. You get a much different result though if those chains are on the rear: Not too much sudden directional control, but braking action to control speed and traction in the back that keeps your behind behind you.

Mechanically, with the open center diff, it really should make no difference. If you lock the diff though you CANNOT put chains on only one axle unless you are in the deep sloppy stuff where the un-chained axle can spin at a faster rate than the rear. This is a great way to get stuck, BTW. Even with chains on both axles though you should not lock the center diff unless in the slop or travelling in a straight line.

Since keeping all of that in mind can be quite a bit of work, the manual offers the simplest, and least dangerous recommendation: Put them in the rear.

BTW: I'm not sure how well this applies to the 2000+ versions with all the TC and VSC doodads. It holds true for my '98 though, as well as my prior 4Runner and prior to that, my 4WD P/U

HiC
  • britthobrittho Member Posts: 1
    May I first say hello and thank you for all of the great information that I have read on this board. I am looking to purchase a Cruiser in the next weekend or so and it will be our first. I do have one question about the stereo in the 98 model. Does the 98 have the 7 speaker stereo that had the bass issues or does it only have 6 speaker system without a sub? The dealer informed me that it had a 6 speaker system but I did not get a chance to listen the last time I was in the vehicle. Did they make the change to a 7 speaker system in 01? Thanks for any help.
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    The 98 LC only has the 6-speaker system. You are correct with the JBL being 1st introducted in the 2001 model.

The 6-speaker system is just OK in my opinion: it has fairly good frequency response & not too much distortion; but in a top-of-the-line SUV, one should expect at least a better-than-average stereo.
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Leasing a 01 TLC. Wanted to check out the new 5-spd auto box on the 03. Closest dealer with rig is Lexus. My question: is there more sound insulation in the Lexus, or is it an aural illusion? It's not a newness thing, because even with 64,000 miles on my TLC, it doesn't have a rattle or squeak! The Lexus seemed to be even quieter on the road.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I've heard that theory but have nothing to confirm it. The new 5 speed is supposed to be quieter than the older one so you would need to drive an '03 LC to know.
  • loosebottlesloosebottles Member Posts: 21
    I find that I'm always having to verify that the doors are actually locked after using the key to lock/arm the system. There is no audible chirp as in most other systems out there. I know the lights blink when locked but I'm not always in eye shot of the front/rear when locking/unlocking the LC.I'm wondering if it is possible to have the dealer add a "chirp","chirp,chirp" for locked/unlocked with the factory keyless entry? Thanks.
  • pamgreenpamgreen Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information! I checked out www.lightsout.org as you suggested - great site! I have an appointment with a dealer next week to either disable the running lights or change the light sensitivity using the sensor on the dash which the manual says is possible, though the service manager seemed sceptical. We constantly have pedestrians and other drivers pointing at our lights or honking to tell us that they're on - so possibly our lights are even brighter than normal running lights. I hope to solve this annoying problem soon.
  • mk85mk85 Member Posts: 7
    Changed my front pads on my 97 lx450 and now my brake pedal goes down too much. I did bleed the brake lines but did not help.

What could this be???? Bad caliper.
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Did you do all the work yourself on the brakes?

IdahoDoug
  • mk85mk85 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I did the brakes. Usually bleeding the lines takes care of the problem but did not this time. hmmmm.
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    Unless you opened up the system to air, there should be no reason to bleed the brakes. Normally new pads need to bed into the rotor, so it will take a few stops to get things in place.
    The cheapest thing to do would be to rebleed the brakes, using a large container of fresh fluid so you can just pump like crazy through the first caliper in the sequence. I'm guessing you got a bit of air in the lines and a fast pump through will carry the bubbles out on most vehicles. Be advised that some master cylinders need to be removed and bench bled if they get too much air in them.

That's what I'd do first. I know it's a pain but it's the first thing a garage would charge you to do.

IdahoDoug
    You can bench bleed the master cyl while it's installed. Same principle as on the bench.
  • internalmedinternalmed Member Posts: 3
    What is a good time to change out the brake pads? I have a 2001 LC and i am about to hit 29000. I have noticed a little shimmy in the wheel when i stop. The majority of the miles are highway so i don't know what that would do to the brake life. I also was looking at getting some new tires, preferably some bigger ones. I have the GPS Nav and the dealer told me that changing tire size will affect how the computer calibrates the speed, distance and time to destination. Is this true?
    "the dealer told me that changing tire size will affect how the computer calibrates the speed, distance and time to destination"

I dunno if the NAV system is tied into the wheel speed information from the ECM, but regular, hand-held GPS is not affected by tire size changes (obviously). Tire height changes will affect your speedometer and odometer.

A good time to change your pads is when the pad thickness is near or at the minimum assuming they are in good shape. Pull the wheels and look through the caliper to see how thick the pads are. A shimmy could be due to a warped rotor or unbalanced tires, etc.
  • bplacebplace Member Posts: 9
    Where is the best place to buy seat covers and a cargo mat for a 99 Land Crusier? Thanks
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    Seat covers - Canvas type, not water proof just dog resistant - www.sor.com

Husky Cargo Mat - Do a web search on Husky cargo liner, then check prices and look for the added bonus of free shipping. I have the husky liners, front, middle and rear and would never run a vehicle without them.

Enjoy that '99 LC.

Later,

fj100
    '99 LC, 68k miles, bfg at's 285's, ome lift, sway away torsion bars, arb winch bumper

check out http://www.pbase.com/roane10/inbox for pics of my modified LC
  • johnedavies1johnedavies1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi -I've read back thru message 2000, but I got bored and thought I'd post my questions.

I am considering a '95 thru '97 series 80. I have run into conflicting info on the locking diferentials: were they or were they not standard equipment?

If they were optional, how can I positively i.d. the axles to be sure that they have lockers - are there air hoses or electrical wires going to the pumpkins? Where are the dash switches located?

How is this model LC on ice, with proper winter tires? I am assuming the diffs act as open units when they are unlocked. I would prefer to have traction control for snowy roads, but I really like the solid axles and lockers for off-road use.

I am also considering a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II S (US$35K), but the reliability problems, lack of a locking center diff, and miserable resale value have got me scared. So I am contemplating a 6 year old LC for about $18K-$20K instead of the new Disco to get the solid axles and off-road capability at a price I can afford.

Comments are very welcome.
    The locking diffs is a confusing question because it depends on which differentials you are talking about. The center differential is locking and that was standard. The front and rear differential had optional lockers. It is easy to figure out if the vehicle had this because there is a rotary dial on the left side of the dash to operate them.
    John,

The optional front and rear diff lock switch is to the left of the steering wheel. Here is a pic of what you are looking for. Also, you will need to add a center diff lock switch, very simple procedure and the wiring harness is already there. The switch from toyota is like $51 and takes about 10 minutes to install.

Check out the following link for the pic of the diff locker switch.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_locker.htm

Check out the following link for the pic of the center diff lock.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_interior_main.htm
    Thanks for the info. I guess I need to ask any seller if he has that round knob on the panel. I would guess a large number of LC owners aren't even aware that lockers were an option, so when they say "all options" it doesn't necessarily mean that.
    John,

The 80 series will do very well on ice and snow. We have used studded and siped mud tires for years and switched this winter to Michelin's new 4X4 Arctic Alpin. Improvement in onroad conditions for sure, offroad I don't know yet - didn't do any wheeling this winter.

I think FJ100 knows this, but you don't need to add a center locking diff switch as the 80's automatically lock the center diff in low range. If you want complete control of the center diff in high range, the switch is worth having.

As to your other questions, yes the diffs are open when not locked. On the Rangie - they do have a locking center diff in low range just like the 80 has. But you're wise to steer clear of them if you want reliability as well as offroad capability in one package.

IdahoDoug
    The problem for me is that the Discovery IIs have NOT had a locking center diff since mid-2000. For 2003, with the redesign of the Disco, overseas markets got an option for a CDL, but we in the USA still can't get it. I would be willing to live with traction control if I had the CDL, but not by itself. I have read too many stories at DiscoWeb about people getting out of control backing down steep hills without CDL.

Thanks for the other comments about LC and snow driving.
    I am going to look at a USA spec '96 Lexus LX450 with diff locks and 83,000 highway miles tomorrow morning. I understand that it is basically a "tarted up" Land Cruiser. Can someone tell me what is different about the Lexus?

Is the suspension lower/ softer with the Lexus?

Any specific reasons to either choose or avoid the Lexus? I believe '96 was the first year for the LX450....

Would people think I'm crazy if I drove a Lexus down a muddy trail?

I will be installing OME springs and bigger tires anyway, so the suspension is a minor issue.

TIA.
    The differences are very minor, like they picked the quietest tranny and transfer cases for the lexi. The interior is a little different and may have auto climate control. Body cladding and different wheels. The suspension was softer and needs replacing with the OME.

People will think your crazy for driving a Lexus down a muddy trail but you have front and rear diff locks.

I would highly recommend installing the center diff lock button. It gives you more control over your drivetrain. Also discounnect the wiring for the automatic engagment of the center diff in low range. After you install the center diff button of course. This allows you to disengage the center diff in low range and regain your turning radius or for backing heavy trailers in low range. I have my wiring unplugged and people can not believe highly tightly I can turn around in low range.

Later,

fj100
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Can anyone point me towards some relatively tame off roading area's in central Ma.? I've had my 2000 LC since it was new and haven't tried it in the woods yet. Truth is I've never been off roading at all. Any links to websites or local clubs would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Jay
    It's a myth that Toyota picked parts for individual vehicles. I would go for the LX450 over the '96/'97 fzj80 for the slight upgrades, and the prices are comparable for the 2 rigs.

For trails in Taxachusetts, go to the TLCA website and look for local clubs. Yankee Toys are in Boston, and they are an active club (www.yankeetoys.org)
    It may be a myth however the myth was started by Toyota and Lexus and propageted by Araco (the company that builds LC's).
  • scifiscifi Member Posts: 54
    When they allegedly picked parts for particular vehicles, was this a line of parts (type of transfer case) or individual parts (this specific transfer case from this line of transfer cases)?
    Supposedly Toyota picked individual parts off the lines that meet certain higher standards. These parts were then designated for the LX vs the LC.
    The "special parts" thing is a myth. There is additional soundproofing and some related differences on the Lexus, but otherwise identical.

IdahoDoug

(Former employee of Lexus and Toyota US HQ)
    I have found a PRIME immaculate 2-owner '96 Lexus LX450 with 83,000
    miles, F and R locking diffs and the extra goodies that Lexus
    installs - more wood inside, nicer leather, 195(?) watt stereo with
    CD changer, analog built-in car phone, rear heater, running boards
    (poo!).... Everything works and looks great, with no kiddie stains
    or bad smells. It has obviously never been seriously off-road. It
    spent most of it's life in AZ and UT before being sold at auction to
    the dealer here, so it is not at risk for salt damage.

The dealer (in Seattle, Washington) wants US$20K, which I think is a
    _very_ fair price considering the cherry condition of the vehicle.
    The Carfax report is clean. I do not yet know the repair history,
    but all the engine fluids looked fresh and everything works well. I
    intend to check the drivetrain when I get a chance. The dealer had
    the car inspected by a Toyota dealer and it turned up clean.

My wife was test-driving it when we narrowly missed T-boning a Ford
    pickup that had skidded and slammed sideways into the concrete
    retaining wall at the edge of the highway. She threaded the Lexus
    through the narrow opening between another sliding car and that
    truck with great finesse. She was calm until we pulled over and
    stopped - then she started shaking and told me "We have got to buy
    this truck - that was karma!" Who am I to argue?

Questions:

Are there any problems fitting Land Cruiser aftermarket bits to the
    Lexus? I intend to install OME springs, larger tires, and front and
    rear off-road bumpers. I also need a rear tire carrier. In other
    words, is the Lexus a perfect clone to the LC mechanically? Will the
    bumpers clear the Lexus front body trim bits?

The truck seemed much more lively than the LC I drove recently.
    Lexus recommends premium gas. Does Toyota recommend premium for the
    LC? I thought that might account for the perceived differennce in
    performance.

Any other reasons NOT to buy this truck over a similar (hard to
    find) LC?

Any links to checklists for inspecting used LCs, like valve
    clearance check and so on?

Any and all comments welcome - I will in all likelihood own this
    truck by the weekend. So I need answers quickly please.

TIA.

PS: Will I still be allowed in this group if I drive a Lexus? I
    promise not to make snooty remarks.
    One thing to check is the VIN on each body panel. If the vehicle has been in an accident the VIN will be missing. There is a vin on each panel for total of 9 or 10. They appear to be stickers however if removed the # is etched into the metal. You can not buy replacement panels with VIN numbers. This may not keep you from buying but may allow you to negotiate more off the price.

Later,

fj100
  • rleongrleong Member Posts: 41
    It sounds like you are ready to buy the lx450. I don't know how long you have been searching, but I would suggest looking at more 96/97 LC & LX450 before buy the "one". A few years ago, I was in the market for a good low mileage fzj80.

I have an old 96 Land Cruiser brochure and maybe 96 Lx450 somewhere. Let me know if questions about colors and options.
  • wawrzyng1wawrzyng1 Member Posts: 16
    I recently purchased a '96 LX450 with 82K. I paid $15K and spent an additional $1.1K for the regular maintenance(changed all fluids, etc) and to repair an oil leak.
    The Carfax was clear except for an accident about 2 years ago. The repairs were done very well.
    I do not go off-road and really like on-road ride. I bought it because I have owned Toyotas for approximately 30 years but never had an LC. I shopped for LC's and would up buying the LX.
    So far, so good!
    Here is the challenge. I am looking for a NAv system to replace my stereo/cd player (double din). I would like the screen to be about the size of the double din stereo unit, include am/fm/xm and behind the fold down screen would be a cd slot. They have these in japan and australia, I just want to know if anyone is importing them yet. Imagine all the Toyotas, Fords, Chevy, etc with double DIN that these systems could go in.

This is for a '99 100 Series.
    Thinking about buying a Weston Grille Guard for a 99 LC. Does anyone have any experience with the brand, or suggests another brand? Thanks
    Yes, they're a mechanical twin to the Cruiser, and ARBs, lifts, springs, shocks and such will fit the same on the front.

IdahoDoug
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    We are currently leasing a 01 TLC. Lease expires Oct 04. Conventional wisdom would say not to purchase a vehicle with 100,000 miles (estimated mileage by Oct 04). But I know the history of this vehicle and how it has been maintained. And it is a TLC. Any parts replacement issues (because of mileage) that should make me strongly consider returning this one for a new one? Or am I looking at another 100,000 with minimal costs? (I use mine as truck - both on and off-road). Currently have 64,000+ miles - and have yet to develop a rattle or squeak!!! Thanks!
    You're going to have 100K miles at the end of your lease? Ouch! Be careful on this. By buying it out, you will not pay the mileage penalty but you may be overpaying for a used Cruiser by more than the cost of the miles.

To give you an idea of this using hypothetical numbers, look at it this way. Let's say you owed $6000 in mileage penalties but could avoid them by paying $25K to buy it out. Sounds like a good deal right? Well, not if you could go out and buy a used one with the same miles for $16K.
    Cliffy's got it as for economics, so be sure this makes financial sense. I wouldn't be worried about a 100k TLC - particularly if it's been well cared for and I drove it those 100k miles. For me, it would all come down to price, though I'd put a thumb on the scale in my favor to account for the "known vehicle" factor. No known replacement issues as for parts, either.

I recently went through something like this and elected to not buy the vehicle I'd planned on purchasing after using it for a company lease. The purchase price was simply too high and the mfr would not negotiate with me. I've had friends who leased through local banks or leasing agents and they were willing to deal and discount at lease end. Unfortunately, the mfrs simply cannot do this as they have so many leases out it would be a huge job to handle these many negotiations, vs tossing them all in to auctions.

IdahoDoug
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    I found through Yahoo a 99' LX470 in Chicago area asking $20,000. I send the seller an email and received the following message. I never heard this kind of story. Anyone knows it is true or fraud? Any comments?

Bill

The received message:

Katy Cepraga wrote:

HELLO
    I see that you have some interes for this vehicule that I want to sell so these are some details about it. The car has never been involved in any accidents and it is in perfect condition.It is registered in USA and it has all the necessary papers.You will get that and the title also with the car. For now I'm in Deutchland with the car because I have some bussiness here. But this doesn't involves any problem for you becouse I will pay all the shipping fees. I will also pay in advance for the situation when you are not satisfaied with the car and you want to return it. Because this is an oversea transaction the only way to do it in a safe way for both of us is an escrow service. The service that I chose and trust is: www.stcentral.net Like this we are both secure becouse they guarranty that you will get the car and I will get the money. Please check it out and let me kow if you are ready to do this. This is how this thing works. First you have to enter www.stcentral.net and register. You will get an username. Having this username you can initiate the transaction mentioning me as your partener.After the transaction has been initiated you can now send the money to escrow company. They will receive the amount and they will let me know. Now is the moment when I send the vehicule to your home address or whereever you want me to.You get the car and you have a poriod to inspect it. If everyhting is Ok and you want to keep it then you advice the escrow company to releas the money to me. In that moment I can get the money so only if you want to.I repeat I will get the money only after you inspect the car and decide either it is Ok or not. If you can not agree with this terms please do not start a transaction. I accept only this form of paymet.I'm waiting for your email soon. If you have more questions feel free to ask me. I will check my emails once a day due to my work, so don't worry if I don't answer very often.THANKS
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    I'd avoid that one like the plague !!!!

They set up fake escrow companies and keep your money.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I concur with SteveB. Also, the volume of misspellings in the communication implies less than professional standards. Be careful!

tidester, host
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    If they call back, tell them you just fell off a turnip truck. :)
  • bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    Have recently purchased a 99 LC and am thinking of putting a Grille Guard, Wind Deflector, and those sun reflectors on the windows. I dont want to ruin the looks of this fine vehicle by putting these on there if they dont look nice. Any input would be appreciate? Thanks
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    I'm about ready to get a 2003 LC or LX470, but see that everybody else has similar torque, but more HP. For example, Range Rover is 282HP, Touareg will be 310HP, Lincoln is 300+HP, etc.

I know that Toyota is VERY competitive and I'm worried that a LC or LX470 will have another 50-75 HP if I wait for an '04. Plus maybe Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, which would be nice.

So, my question is: when will the 2004 models be available? In 2002 when did the 2003 models go on sale?

Thanks!
    Don't worry about it. The RR may have 282 bhp because of its new-this-year BMW engine, but the Discovery II certainly won't get that engine. What you really should be waiting for is the Touareg twin turbo V10 diesel with 310 bhp and 550 ft lbs torque.

Torque is what makes you smile when you put your foot down. Torque is your friend - horsepower is for hot-rodding around. A big heavy SUV needs a high torque engine, and the hp rating is secondary.

If you like the 4.7 liter Land Cruiser, go ahead and buy one this year and install the "warranty safe" TRD supercharger and then you will really be happy. The kit is around $3000 online and is not labor intensive to install. For more info, just do a web search for "TRD supercharger".
  • wawrzyng1wawrzyng1 Member Posts: 16
    I own a '96 LX450 and noticed a vibration at approximately 18k rpm's. This happens on acceleration and also at a constant speed, but always at approximately 18k rpm's.
    Could it be the exhaust system, transmission?
    It also idles pretty rough when in gear.
    Any input is appreciated.

Thanks