Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    Anyone know what the FJ100 lower tailgate is made of? It appears to be either fiberglass or aluminum. On my FJ80 I have no qualms of standing on the tailgate to reach the roof rack but the FJ100 seems very delicate. Thanks!
  • Options
    stuhugh1stuhugh1 Member Posts: 1
    Is a landcruiser with 100,000 miles worth $13,900 if in excellent shape and well equipped?

Thanx
    Steve
  • Options
    zuma13zuma13 Member Posts: 35
    Having the identical stereo problem occasioned by ALL 2001 TLC owners, I decided to take matters into my own hands and have a stereo expert look at the system and attempt a "fix". Equipped with an audio system schematic I went to the stereo shop and proceeded to explain the offending symptoms.

After explaining the problem I turned on the ignition and radio first with the engine not running and then with the engine running. The techician was of the opinion that there was a definite problem and design defect. He found it most curious that the low frequency "booming" had no adjustment other than fading toward the rear speakers.

After examining the system first hand and analyzing the audio schematic, he concluded that the problem cannot be addressed mechanically. The entire system is integrated and controlled through the vehicles ECU (primary on board computer).

There is no way to by-pass the problem or adjust it without reprogramming the computer. Which I was advised by Toyota. The mischief was actually programmed by the Toyota and JBL technicians and could only be reprogrammed by them.

My question is. Why not a more timely fix? I cannot imagine Toyota is unaware of the problem and therefore not have in the "wings" a procedure to repair or fix this obvious flaw.

I now intend to commence a four time dealer visit with the problem. The law in California is quite specific. If the problem cannot be fixed after four attempts, the vehicle qualifies as a "lemon" within the purview of the California "Lemon Law".

At this time I don't want a new vehicle or my money back. I really enjoy this vehicle but for the audio problems. However, if a fix isn't offered in a reasonable time frame, I will pursue a legal remedy.
  • Options
    joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    You won't like to read this, but the uzj100 tailgate is much stronger than the 80 series tailgate due to its laminate construction. I would not stand in the middle of the 80 series tailgate as it will eventually bow outward in the middle. It's nothing like the 60 series tank-like tailgate. Go ahead and stand on the 100 tailgate.
  • Options
    bloodybeefbloodybeef Member Posts: 18
    Did you ever get it in writing from Toyota, that they acknowledge the fact that the system is broken? I have had problems convincing Toyota that this is not functioning correctly. I think a lot of us here has had similar problem...so if you have a written letter of any sort, could you scan it in and post it? The problem we seem to have is that when individuals go to the dealers or call the hotline they tell us it's all in our head and no one else has this problem. If we all have some kinda proof in hand that this is a problem, we might be able to push them a little harder together.
  • Options
    maxfieldmaxfield Member Posts: 5
    Hello all, I've been driving my new 2001 TLC for a few weeks now including 12" of snow yesterday. (Milwaukee, WI) I'm ready to review. The TLC replaced a 1994 Ford Probe so there is no practical comparison. The SUVs I've driven most are a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1999 Chevy Blazer. The TLC easily outclasses either of those vehicles. The ride is smooth and quieter than my wife's 1999 Nissan Maxima. Acceleration is excellent for the size. Despite the huge difference in size the TLC is easy to maneuver and seems to have a very tight turning radius for its length.

Its taken me to Chicago twice now and was very comfortable in heavy expressway traffic. Performance on the snow was excellent. Only jack-rabbit starts activated the active trac and acceleration was strong and smooth even in 6-8 inches of snow. While pushing through turns the skid compensation activated twice. (with a furiously flashing red indicator and loud alarm beep!!) The truck fishtailed minimally each time then resumed the desired curve.

The final fun was a 60 foot run up my sloping driveway covered with 16-36" drifts. (up to the headlights!) Man what fun! It ground right through with out hesitation. It was so much fun I turned around and ran up and down a few more times.

Now the problems. Not many.

Stopping distance seemed long compared to other SUVs I've played with in the snow. The ABS prevented skids but the size of the TLC leads to much longer stopping distances that the smaller Jeep with out ABS.

The stereo sucks. Man does it suck. (JBL 6-disk, no Nav system). When I test drove it sounded a little boomy but we were concentrating on other things and had the volume way down. Even with the bass at -5 the low end distorts to a loud, one-note, thump. The problem almost disappears with the engine off.

Reading here I see I'm not alone in my dismay at the stereo. The pattern seems to be they tell potential buyers that a fix is on the way and tell paid customers that it is not a problem. I'm guessing that it is a very difficult fix or it would be done.

Lawyers are good attack dogs but they can buy lots of lawyers of their own. I think that the press might be a more effective influence. If we don't get a fix we should write auto reviewers for newspapers, magazines and webpages and ask them to comment on the TLC stereo issue. Most big companies survive the financial burden of lawsuits easily. They are less likely to shake off bad press.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Your post is exactly what I have been looking for here. I want to ask a few questions about your uphill drive through snow. Did you have the center differential locked? If not, did the TRACS system activate? If it did, was it just the brakes or did it slow the engine as well?

The reason I am asking is because of a debate on the Sequoia topic related to these issues. The Sequoia 4WD system is identical to the post 2000 LC with the exception that the Sequoia can go into 2WD as well.

Thanks for the review.
  • Options
    grogman1grogman1 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks for the review and can you post some information regarding how much you paid for your LC ??
  • Options
    joeeblow1

Thank you for the insight. Compared to my 91 FJ80, the tailgate on the 100 feels very light. Is the laminate fiberglass?
  • Options
    lcboundlcbound Member Posts: 15
    Unlike some other owners, we need good 4WD for the deep sand in Hatteras, NC. Cliffy, I read your earlier posts on the 2001 4WD -- can the LC handle deep sand (i.e., does the Active Trac really act like a virtual lock on the rear diff?)

If the LC can handle the Hatteras sands, I'm ready to buy it.

BUT... what's your position on the JBL Stereo problem? I'm not going to tolerate any Toyota BS for a $55,000+ vehicle. Is your dealership willing to agree in writing that the JBL defect will be repaired free of charge once a fix is found?

Incidentally, I looked at your dealership web page at Stock #NN31573. What's the FE Option?

Look forward to your response. I'm in Alexandria, so I'm thinking of getting the LC by end of year. Thanks.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Ah, the fun of closed architecture! Looks like Toyota and JBL shot themselves in the foot with this one. I have never liked any of the stereo products that TLC's have come with. I just see the provided stereo as a compromise made to get the best 4WD on the consumer's planet.
  • Options
    fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    I know you are asking about a '01 but I have a '99 LC and I was in Hatteras this past November. The LC performed in the sand with no problems what so ever, I was even making very tight turns on purpose and the LC could not be stopped. I even let a buddy of mine (who owns a Chevy) drive and he was trying his hardest to get the LC stuck and couldn't. At one point I turned directly across the deep ruts and slowed to stop then tried to go and it went right across. The V8 and all that torque just kept going. We were running the tires at 18 psi.

Then at the end of the weekend another guy needed to ride back with us, there 4 guys with gear, sleeping bags, luggage, tackle boxes, waders and the LC swallowed all that equipment ease.

I run a rear trailer hitch hauler from Cabela's and made some homemade pvc rod holders for the sides.

I hope the '01 works as well. Hatteras is great place to test a vehicle.
  • Options
    FJ100, thanks for the update. Do you lock the center and rear diffs at Hatteras? My only concern with the '01 (regarding Hatteras) is Toyota replacing the rear diff lock with its traction control computer.

(Don't want to get stuck at the narrows near the point!)

Thanks.
  • Options
    fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    We ran with the center diff locked. Never went into low range or locked the rear diff.

The '01 should be able to determine the amount of slip at each wheel and compensate. The system should not even allow the wheels to spin which is perfect for sand and if you have to go to low range then the center diff is locked and you will crawl right out.

I would talk to the dealer or call Toyota help line and ask specifically about sand. I know you are laughing but that is a major concern and Toyota should be able to address it.
  • Options
    maxfieldmaxfield Member Posts: 5
    Cliffy, the center differential was unlocked, the 4wd was in high. Multiple shallow climbs and descents in deep to really deep snow were made at 5-10 mph. The active trac only activated if you really floored it otherwise it just pushed on without a problem. I found it easier to activate the active trac on snow packed streets accelerating away from intersections. Again this was only when you really floored it. The engine did not seem to slow at any point.

Grogman1, my TLC has the rear seat, the convenience package, wind deflectors for the hood sunroof and rear. Carpet mats and cargo net. Sticker was $59k, invoice estimate was ~$52k per Edmunds. They would not go lower that 54,500 but then went $2000 over bluebook on my trade.(That almost doubled the BB value of my beat up 94 Ford Probe with a cracked front fender.) Overall I probably paid a little over invoice and they likely pocketed a big holdback since it had not been on the lot long. It took about three hours of the usual, "You have to come down on the price", "I'll go check with my manager." song and dance. I bought at the end of the month during the "Sellathon" so the dealer was looking to build his sales numbers. I went in late and kept them afterhours with both my kids.

Overall it feels like a nice blend of cushy luxury car and capable 4wd truck. My only reservation is the stereo. God I hope Toyota or JBL find a fix!
  • Options
    yisteryister Member Posts: 5
    Hi all. I've been test driving SUV for the past several weeks. I'm starting a new job and my new employer is buying me a car of my choice. Anyway, didn't mean to brag. I've test drove the TLC and at the end of the test drive, noticed a booming. Couldn't turn the damn thing off. Of course, the salesman didn't know anything about it. I though it might be my imagination, then I checked this discussion group Went back to the dealership and test drove TLC again, and this time the salesman acknowledged that there was a problem. He was going to offer me $500 over invoice, but I wasn't going to buy with that damn stereo. Great bargain though. I asked them if they could replace it with another radio, maybe the Mark/Levinsen, the same as the Lexus. They checked and Mark/Levinsen is specifically for Lexus. Couldn't live with that stereo. Now, I'm trying to bargain to get a good deal from Lexus. Those arrogant bastards feel like they are doing you a favor. I would go with another vehicle just to spite them but the TLC and LX are really sweet.
  • Options
    1tlclover1tlclover Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 97 LC and have debated whether or not to buy from the dealer or private party. First question, I think the 97 LC came with a transferable 100,000 mile/6 year drivetrain warranty. If this transfer form is no longer in the owner's manual, is it still possible to transfer the warranty? If so, how? Second question regards the purchase of an extended warranty (without getting into the issue of whether they are worth it). The dealer said I could purchase an extended warranty after the sale (probably at a higher cost)prior to the expiration of the warranty (whether this was the basic 6 yr/100k drivetrain warranty or the part of the certified vehicle warranty I don not know). Does this only apply to dealer sold LCs or could I buy my LC from a private party and go into my Toyota dealer and purchase an extended warranty? Thanks in advance for your help. Also, what kind of price should I expect to pay?
  • Options
    The current 4WD system has only been around since the 2000 model year. There was speculation that the use of three open differentials with traction control may create a difficulty in certain situations. The theory runs like this. In snow and sand, it is necessary to gun the engine to keep up momentum. Wheels will spin. When wheels spin, the traction control computer takes over and engages the brakes and slows the engine. This robs you of the forward momentum you need. That is the theory.

A counter theory runs like this. The TRACS system monitors slip relative to the other wheels. If all wheels are slipping equally, the system will not slow your momentum.

This is why I asked about how it did uphill in snow. As much as I do know, I don't know how this system would deal with snow and sand. On the plus side, if you lock the center differential, the TRACS system is disconnected so you really don't have to worry about it. Sequoia owners on the other hand, have no such option.

I've stayed out of the stereo discussion. I have listened to them and they don't really bother me but I can understand why it bothers others. I hope a fix will be forthcoming.
  • Options
    grogman1grogman1 Member Posts: 76
    Maxfield,

Thanks for the info.......interesting. I had similar experience, that is the dealer here reached a point where they would go no lower on the LC price, and then hinted at giving me a little extra money for my trade. Maybe I was too quick to hit the door, when I should have given them more time to kick the tires again and give it that second test drive.

BTW - great idea to bring the kids for the after hours party. Maybe that's what I should have done and I could have closed the deal.
  • Options
    You might try emailing Dianne and see what she could do for you. I'm not trying to push anyone on you, but for approximately what Maxfield paid...I also got Nav and wood dash...basically the only thing I didn't get from the list of options were the gold emblems, brush guard and the spare tire lock. My only bad experience in buying the new LC is calling local dealers with Dianne's offer and have them try to match it. Most of them just laughed really rudely and told me something to the equivalent of a "snowball's chance in hell"...one even came close to accusing me of lying to them.
  • Options
    sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    the PacNW dealers that I talked with were all over the map. The best deal I got was $1K over invoice for the loaded TLC with Nav. Also got $1.5K over from another dealer. I passed and bought the Lexus.
  • Options
    Did a bunch of stuff get deleted in the board during the move? I finally got off my whining [non-permissible content removed] and went to the local stereo shop to see what they could do for me and they pretty much told me what Zuma posted. With my Nav, everything is all nicely integrated so they can not just replace random parts of the thing. Also there was a post about disconnecting some subwoofer thing or rewiring it? Well if you read Steve's post about the time they took a stereo apart to attempt a fix, they found no subwoofer...heck even if they had one, the technician I spoke to said the bass problem is definitely coming from the front speakers only... So...I'll have to sit on my whining [non-permissible content removed] some more and hope that Toyota comes up with something.
  • Options
    Bloody beef, so sorry you are having so much trouble with your sound system. Same here. Today had to be one of the most beautiful here in Carpinteria, California. It was 70 degrees with in excess of 50 mile visability. I was driving along the coast with the sun roof open. Reluctantly turned on the stereo to listen to some sounds and the annoying "booming" again ruined a perfectly wonderful ride.

I cannot imagine what the Toyota delay is. Where's the fix? There is no other sport ute on the market with such a "scrappy" sound system. I hope this is fixed soon.

What happened to the board? Most of the prior posting are difficult to find if at all.
  • Options
    dvs61dvs61 Member Posts: 1
    Big disappointment with my 93 LC 125,000 miles, last month the transmission failed, yes i changed fluid regularly,
    rebuild bill $3,200. This week the engine blew head gasket and need valve job and maybe more, water and oil levels
    were normal, no leaks visible or drip spots on driveway. Very disappointed in LC. Has anyone had similar experience?

I live in Texas, so flat land, no towing to stress transmission or engine.
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Wow. Transmission and head gasket so close together sounds like some problem with the cooling system. Did it tend to run hot? Did it ever overheat? Levels may have been normal, but cooling ports clogged. Sorry, but they can't all be perfect.

HiC
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Sorry to be so scarce for ya'll... am recovering from a terrible flu. I'll be back to my old self tomorrow, I am sure.
    I am down to 3 LCs left thru the end of the year... a couple of 2000's and a couple of 2001's, none with NAV systems.

-Di
  • Options
    cack999cack999 Member Posts: 4
    If the Sequoia is bigger, why would someone get a Land Cruiser that's $20K more? Just curious... What does it have that costs that much more??? I'm very confused...
  • Options
    cack999cack999 Member Posts: 4
    OK, I'm starting look into comparing these now, I just looked at the engine, and what do you know, the Sequoia has 10 more hp than the Land Cruiser. What will I find next with this $20 less expensive vehicle.
  • Options
    rewyllysrewyllys Member Posts: 24
    Dianne,

Hope you've recovered fully from the flu by now and are ready to enjoy a Merry Christmas.

Ron Wyllys
  • Options
    lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    cack999: What will you find different? In one word "Quality." Drive the AC around the block, then climb into a Sequoia. There is no comparison between the ride and feel of these two vehicles. A Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser, etc., etc.
  • Options
    lawhamptonslawhamptons Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of '01 Land Cruiser this week and as you all did immediately noticed the bass booming, and the shaking of the front speakers. Interestingly, this was more pronounced on FM than using a CD. Communicated with JBL who makes the speakers, and they said that they believed it was an automatic loudness circuit in the head unit. JBL suggested I contact the manufacturer of the electronics, and I sent e-mail to dealer over the holiday weekend. If JBL is right, then possibly a knowledgable auto stereo person can pull the head unit out and disconnect the automatic loudness circuit, assuming it is a dedicated circuit. Do any of you know who the manufacturer of the electronics is? I will keep you advised as I get more info, but it is downright annoying in a 50K + vehicle. lawhamptons@aol.com
  • Options
    In a previous post lawhamptons advised he had contacted JBL, the manufacturer of the 2001 TLC speakers. Regarding the low range bass problem inherent in the new system JBL stated their belief the problem was associated with an automatic loudness circuit in the head unit. The question was posed who manufacturers the electronics of the audio system.

Today I was advised by my dealer that Harmon Kardon makes the electronics. Perhaps they would know how to disconnect the automatic loudness circuit.
  • Options
    petercrasepetercrase Member Posts: 19
    Wow, what a car buying experience. It began with a test drive at Toyota of Stockton, CA, and ended about a month later with a purchase, at Florin Road Toyota in Sacramento, on July 29, 2000.
    In-between included a cancelled order with carOrder.com, who subsequently shut down their web site, and internet/phone negotiations with many dealers, through cars.com.
    I bought a 00 TLC, river rock green mica exterior/oak interior with the third seat package, carpet mat set, C7 convenience package, wood dash, alloy wheel locks, black pearl emblems, hood protector, spare tire lock and moonroof wind deflector. The MSRP on this vehicle is 57,854, my out the door price was 55,150, including doc fee of 45, sales tax of 3,916 (7.75%), and first year license fee of 698.
    Each negotiation is different, but the lesson for me was to decide on a price (I used carOrder's price), then find a dealer willing to sell for that price. It took a lot of work, some frayed nerves, frustration and even anger, but in the end I felt in control of the process, not manipulated and controlled by the dealer as I have in past car buying experiences.
    I hope my experiences can help some of you out there who are hoping to buy a car soon.
    BTW, silly question, does anyone know where or how I can get the black pearl finish on the 00 TLC wheels?
    Thanks
    Peter
  • Options
    bs1313bs1313 Member Posts: 2
    Have you tested these theories about the new LC 4WD system or has anyone out there? I live in colorado where this situation (uphill in snow) is common. I'm very interested in your thoughts in comparing the LC's new [electronic] system with the Jeep Grand's Quadradrive. The QD system uses servo-mechanical couplers (similar to a limited diff) to put 100% of power to the wheel with grip and can activate within 1/4 wheel turn and is always 'on'. No electronics, no brakes, no buttons, no levers, no lockers needed. This approach seems ideal and I'm wondering why Toyota never came up with something simlar. The concept of using brakes to stop wheels from turning to gain forward momentum seems unintuitive. In addition, can you 'overheat' this system? Please don't get me wrong, I HATE my JGC due to quality issues and am looking at the LC, but the 4WD system does seem superior. How does the Land Rover system work? One more thing: my 4W excursions usually take me into either ice/snow or through muddy/sand washes and hills- exactly where I can't get stuck. Thanks.
  • Options
    If the QD system uses "servo-mechanical couplers", you've got plenty of electronics to worry about. Beyond that, no, I have not tried the new system on snow but I have on ice. I took a 4Runner (same Active-Trac 4WD system) and sat on sheet ice on an incline. I floored it. The TRACS system took over and I could really feel it engage. I very rapidly was off and running and the rev limiter never kicked in. I believe it takes a good amount of time and slip before the limiter would trip on.

Now, I don't know about the Rover but I can tell you that the Hummer uses the same basic system as the Cruiser. They switched to this system in the '99 model year from a torsen system. I have serious doubts that they would do this if there was a question as to its off road capabilities.
  • Options
    bs1313bs1313 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Good point about the hummer as I was unaware they switched the system. Also, a correction on my part- its not 'servo-mechanical', but rather 'gerotor couplings' as in the following description from elsewhere on this site:

"speed-sensing torque transfer coupling to the Quadra-Trac II transfer case along with Vari-Lok progressively locking front and rear axles. Gerotor couplings in both axles and a gerotor pump in the transfer case provide instantaneous pressure to transfer power from side to side and from axle to axle as needed.

Jeep officials said the system is quick at sensing traction demands since it does not need to wait for electronics to gather data and then react. Rather, it is a mechanical system built to instantly respond on its own. Jeep said its system is designed to keep "the vehicle moving even if only one wheel has minimal traction," and it doesn't need any driver involvement"
  • Options
    e33e33 Member Posts: 8
    I may have missed this discussion, but I was told by a Lexus salesman that 2001 was the last year for the TLC. He said that LX 470 has consistently eroded TLC sales and Toyota now has Sequoia which Lexus won't get.

Is this true?
  • Options
    rajuncajun1rajuncajun1 Member Posts: 3
    e33,
    I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago by a saleswoman who, interestingly enough, is no longer working at the dealership. Is it just "talk" to help Sequoia sales or is there some truth?
  • Options
    Fact is, Toyota brass have not decided if they are going to discontinue selling the LC in the states. All depends on how well sales of the LC hold up with the Sequoia now in the picture. Expect some sign of a decision after the Sequoia has been in the market for a year. A recession, or even a stagnate economy, could convince them to pull it out of the market though.

Toyota will ALWAYS manufacture the LC. It sells worldwide and the Sequoia is not exported to many places: it was designed specifically for North America. Australia would invade Japan if they stopped selling the LC down under. They take the Landcruiser quite seriously there.

HiC
  • Options
    freebird3freebird3 Member Posts: 12
    I have been debating purchasing the Sequoia new or a used 1998 TLC or Lexus LX450. Has anyone owned the Lexus LX 450? Are the differences between its V6 and limited luxury options vast enough to justify paying $8000-12,000 more for a 1998 TLC with V8 and more upgrades? The more I talk to dealers holding to within 2,000 of MSRP on Sequoia the more I am drawn back to these reliable used SUV options. I have been unable to find an archive site for the Lexus LX450 and have found little in the way of posts related to the 1998 TLC. I would appreciate comments/criticisms from those who have owned these vehicles before making my decision. Thanks in advance and happy new year.
  • Options
    jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    I have a 98 4-Runner LTD, and am going to get a TLC in a few months........looked at the LX470, not worth the extra $ IMO. Also considered the new 2002 Escalade (not out yet)- but, I don't think I want to spend $50k on a gussied up Tahoe (the motor is going to be hot though).

That ridiculous stereo problem has to be fixed first though, because it would annoy me to no end if it was present in my truck and nothing could be done about it.....in regards to this issue, has anyone had any further progress made in getting the problem fixed.
  • Options
    I looked at the 97 LC's and LX's when they were new, prior to the release of the 98 LC. I wanted a landcruiser/lx in a bad way, and didn't want to wait until the 100 series came out. After test driving the 4.5 liter I6 though, I was underwhelmed, to say the least. Even unladen the thing had trouble getting out of it's own way. EPA rated at 12-15 didn't help matters. I waited. When the 98's came out I test drove the first one delivered to my local dealer (this was April of 98). The difference was astounding in acceleration feel. This puppy could scoot. EPA #'s were better too (14-16), emissions were 40% lower, towing capacity was higher, cargo capacity and load was bigger, ride was more comfortable, handling was better, braking was better, ergonomics were WAY better (the 97 looked more like my 92 4-Runner inside than a 50k Ute). My decision was made about 5 minutes into the test drive. The ONLY advantage of the pre-98's I can think of (aside from $$), is that the 80 series is better for rough off-roading (class 4+ trails). It has more suspension articulation (at least in the front axle), wheel travel (marginal), and had optional locking front diff. Unless you are a serious off-roader though (and willing to spend some serious after-market money on that hobby), the 100 series is the only way to go.

My .02 anyway.

HiC
  • Options
    dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    Amen! I haven't been able to post for days -- this new system's been so screwy.

Happy Holidays all! I know a few Edmunds members here had new Landcruisers and Sequoias for their Holiday time... it's really been a very busy Holiday Season for me. Have I missed any questions? Answers? The winning Lotto numbers? LOL! Still fixated on the JBL bass boom bug. Still have one 2000 black/oak LC with CF C7 BG very cheap. Am awaitin' the arrival of a 2001 thundercloud with gray leather and BG CF C7. LC's scarce right now, especially with the NAV system. ::waving to my customers in River Island, NY and in Anchorage, Alaska for the last NAV system cars I had::!

Someone mentioned about LC being discontinued, I disagree. That Lexus salesman is doing his job the wrong way, with supposition and scare tactics vs. plain old selling quality. Shame. And, during the month of November, when Toyota had projected 2000 Sequoia sales, dealers actually sold 4700. December Sequoia sales are already off the charts in droves, and I have to say I don't find the same buyers at all. Nor do we need "help" selling Sequoia. It isn't a Landcruiser, but with the LC sticker being $15,000 higher, some salespeople prefer to switch prospective buyers to make more $ as Sequoia's so much more close to the MSRP for selling price. There's less resistance to the sales peocess with a lot lower payment, so the switch to the Sequoia is often the choice of the salesperson, and might not be in the customer's best interests for a lot of reasons: resale, agility, quality, and the plain fact that LC is the "ultimate". Anything that's made in limited numbers vs. mass produced like Tundra, Sequoia, etc (built here in USA) is going to hold value a lot better.

-Di
  • Options
    freebird3freebird3 Member Posts: 12
    I take it from your post that you purchsed the 1998 TLC -- any problems, input on service cost, any idea why Toyota dealers price the used 1998 TLC so far above the Edmunds pricing. Is it just that I am looking to early for trades coming in off leases? Thanks for your comments and I would appreciate any help with these questions as well.
    Best regards.
  • Options
    frankwillisfrankwillis Member Posts: 1
    My new 2001 Land Cruiser has this awful booming sound in the radio when the engine is running. When you turn the engine off, the booming stops. It is unbelievable that this could happen. I checked with someone else who bought a Land Cruiser last week, and they have the same problem.

Also, my clock resets itself each time I start the car to 1:00. Has anybody seen this?

Electric door locks dont work with the key turned off. Isn't this dangerous?
  • Options
    sweetv12sweetv12 Member Posts: 58
    [x-posted]
    We finally decided to buy an '01 LX470 with Nav AND the '01 LS430 w/ euro-tuned suspension (which btw, is THE mandatory option one should buy the LS430 with).

Therefore, our '00 LX470 is available. Has all options except phone. Black/Ivory with 7K miles. Taking all offers. Car is in the PacNW.
  • Options
    Frank, I should be picking up my new LC today or tomorrow -- can you describe exactly what this problem is and I'll try to recreate it on delivery?

Can you still open the doors from the inside with the key turned off? That seems to be the safety issue.

Thanks.
  • Options
    petercrasepetercrase Member Posts: 19
    I have a river rock green with black pearl emblems 2000 Land Cruiser. To my eye, the stock wheels (dull aluminum color) do not complement the dark gray green color of the bruiser. Has anyone seen a better looking wheel on the river rock green TLC?
    The chrome version of the stock wheel I've seen doesn't look that great with this color either.
    Thanks
    Peter
  • Options
    Try www.tirerack.com and drill down to where you can try different wheel designs on an image of the 2000 Land Cruiser. You will probably need to change wheel sizes to find a better selection.
  • Options
    rob1971rob1971 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 1994 LandCruiser. It only has 33,000 miles on it. Has leather interior seems to be in great shape. I have not driven it because it is in another state. I pulled the auto fax on it and was in a minor accident on the left side that the sales man has informed me was only body damage and has been fixed very well.
    What should I look for when I go check out this Landcruiser? Did the 1994 Landcruiser have any problems I should look out for?
    They have come off of $22500 to $21,000 what should I offer?