Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    I got to thinking about blckislandguy's comment about the "bling bling" factor in choosing a TLC. I wonder if the average buyer that has the resources to buy one even cares about such things?

I would think that the younger buyers (in other words, mostly male buyers in their 20's) would be the stereotypical "bling" buyer - driving the flashy Mercedes, Tahoe with 20" wheels, souped up Honda rice burner, or whatever the fashion of the day happens to be.

I have a John Deere tractor - but not because of what my neighbors think about it (I hope they have better things to do than worry about what I mow my lawn with) - I bought it because it's dependable, and it NEVER breaks down. Same goes for my reasoning with buying a used LC - if we buy one, it sure as heck won't be because we're worried about what the neighbors think - it will be because it's roomy, quiet, comfortable to travel in, and reliable.
  • bcb1bcb1 Member Posts: 149
    My wife's Intrepid has been a great vehicle, but we'll soon be in the market for a new vehicle for her. My '00 Yukon has 100K on the clock and still looks and runs like brand new, and I just can't bring myself to get rid of it...but that's another story.

My initial thought it a '99 or '00 Toyota LC for her. However, I'm also considering an '01 Sequoia and a BMW X5.

Land Cruiser - seems to be best deal for the money. $17.5K to $21K for '98, 99, or 2000 model. Have heard very good comments.

Sequoia - '01 models still go for $20K to $24K depending on miles. Larger size would be a plus. But we think the styling is rather bland compared to the LC.

BMW X5 - Comparing apples to oranges, I realize. Much smaller, couldn't haul more than 4 people, probably couldn't haul a bunch of bags of mulch or junk from Lowes, but probably a LOT more fun to drive to the ski resort! Reliability really concerns me after reading some of the X5 owner groups. I have heard enough horror stories to just about scare me away from buying one.

Any comments on any or all of the above would help us. We're still in the deciding mode....
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    As someone in the market for an LC, I can say that the last thing on my mind is bling bling value. I dont' even know if the LC has any bling bling value at all. Why would you give up a Cadillac Escalade Platinum to buy an LC if you wanted bling??

The reasons I am buying an LC are:

LC Heritage
    Off Roadability
    Right Size for me > 4Runner < Sequioa
    Full Time 4WD.
    Toyota dependability

I have done a lot of reasearch and the LC/LX470 gets excellent reviews from owners. In most message boards LC/LX average above 9 on 10 for consumer ratings vs 7 on for Amercian SUVs and 8 out of 10 for German SUVs.

Honestly, I think the styling and amenities in an LC are dated compared to what the competition is offering now, but I still woudn't get anything else on the market now.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Sorry, guys. I wasn't clear. Mercara is right. I meant that those interested in bling bling would probably NOT buy a TLC but a new Sequoia. I tried to illustrate it with running shoes (New Balance is about as far from bling bling as you can get) and using synthetic oil in an older car (to even be concerned with oil is not bling bling). Sorry for the confusion.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I dont have the faintest idea what bling is, or supposed to be...I presume you mean flashy? :)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Yes, flashy. Maybe as Jeremy Clarkson would say in Top Gear, something a punter would buy.
  • tropicsilktropicsilk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 landcruiser and a new 28ft boat. Can I improve the capacity of my vehicle from the original tow package? I need about 9000 pounds of capacity for short runs of 5-6miles. Please help I want to go fishing.
    Thanks from Maui Dave
  • shutoutshutout Member Posts: 5
    My dealer is attempting to contact the manufacturer of the nav unit in an effort to work out a core exchange but it may take several months. The screen on the nav system is not separate but part of the whole unit. What did you end up doing with your problem with the anti-reflective coating coming off the screen?
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Are there hills or is it flat?
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    I'm going to buy a TLC. I would also like to know when Toyota is planning the next body upgrade for the TLC, as this may effect my decision.

I know about the new FJ Cruiser, but from what I've ready, this is a different car than the Land Cruiser and it doesn't appear that this new FJ Cruiser will, in any way, effect the body of the TLC.

Has anyone heard when Toyota is planning on making changes to the existing TLC body?
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Supposedly there are a few tweaks in the works for 2006, front and back lights along with front grill, nothing major. Attached is a link to the Japan Toyota site, which appears to have the aforementioned changes(http://toyota.jp/landcruiser100/index.html). Rumor is the VVTi engine may be in the 2006. Who knows if the US LC will get the refreshening, but one has to wonder why Toyota would go to the trouble to implement these modifications, drop in an updated engine and kill the vehicle in the same year. IMO, I would suspect this refreshening buys Toyota another two years before they commit to an all new design for 2008. I would imagine their immediate focus is on the purported 2007 Sequoia/LX 470 redesign, then will release the new LC. All of this is really based on opinions/rumors, but its good to see they are being cautious. Wish they would just leave it alone - its a classic as it is.
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    Hello again,

I went out and bought a used 2003 TLC yesterday. There are, however, three accessories it does not have that I want to have put on.

The main one I'd like to have that I'm unsure of is the BlueTooth telephone option. It does not have this but I'd like to have it installed. Is that possible?
    I couldn'tt wait any longer for the next 100. I bought a used 2002 with Nav and DVD with 35000 miles. Will hold onto it untill the next one comes out in 2008 or whatever.
  • jorgeejorgee Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 97 Land Cruiser and had the following problem while changing the transmission oil: the owner's manual says the transmission uses 2 quarts of oil. I drained the oil and collected 5 quarts. I have two explanations for the discrepancy: either the capacity listed in the owner's manual wrong or the dipstick does not belong to this car. Can somebody help?
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Wonder if you might be thinking of the differntial rather than the transmission? The total capacity of the transmission is more than 5 qts, however the pan capacity is in the range of 5 qts. Remember to check the markings on the dip stick for the ATF and note the position of the marks for hot and cold levels.

Hope this helps
  • carcrazednutcarcrazednut Member Posts: 3
    Expect the 2006 Landcruiser to have minor changes, like colors and slight fascia changes. The 2007 model year is THE year for the major LandCruiser change. That's been confirmed by excellent sources and expect the motor to rise to a well-over 300 HP size, with plenty of torque and a huge tow capacity. Hybrid *option* is also in the discussions with the V8 hybrid being tested as we speak. But, they may run with both hybrid and non hybrid! At this time, no one knows. Right now, with USA fuel pricing at al all time high, they are looking at all otions to get every car better fuel economy. I hope that hybrid choice comes to pass. I personally have a 1998 LandCruiser I am trying to sell that's immaculate and even in its great shape and at really fair pricing, I am not getting many serious inquiries. I thought it would sell fast as lightning. I wish it was a hybrid! I'd keep it!

CrazedCarNut :shades:
    Was told by someone "in the know" that Toy is aiming to have Hybrid offerings across the full model range in 08.

As to selling your '98, just be glad you're not trying to sell a RR =))
  • spitfire73spitfire73 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having trouble with their main axle? I own a 2002 LC and at 40K miles it started clunking. The dealer claims that is normal wear on the splines when stopping and starting, and won't do anything about it. I find that hard to believe with a vehicle so well built. Any one experience this??
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    I have a 2002 LC not having that problem but i will listen out for it and let you know. I have about 33K miles I can't believe the dealer would tell you some crap like that. I would take it to another dealer and have it check out. :mad:
    The good thing is that LC have a 5 year 60K Powertrain warranty so you should be covered.
    Possible reason--the slip yokes need to be lubed. If you get under your rig you should be able to see the lube fittings from the drive shaft to the axle and from the drive shaft to the transfer case. (Note: you'll need to remove the under engine cover to see the front axle fitting) And a cautionary note too: you can put quite a bit of lube from the drive shaft to the axle, but you only need to put a SMALL amount from the drive shaft to the transfer case fitting.

Keep in mind you've got two axles, two drive shafts (and a transfer case in between) comprising your "driveline". While this clunk is common, and probably unavoidable as your truck gets older and has more miles on it, proper lubrication will reduce or eliminate it. I'm surprised your dealer didn't "explain" this to you. This clunk is most noticable if you're stopping or starting at rather low speeds, right? e.g. just getting underway in a parking lot and you almost stop after gaining minimum momentum, then re-accelerate to maybe let someone cross in front of you?

From what you describe, it sounds like you've just got the typical LC driveline "clunk". And it's pretty true that "they all do it". You may want to check with another dealer to confirm this (a second opinion)
  • mdsequoiamdsequoia Member Posts: 22
    Its been a long time and found myself reading throught the last two years worth of posts to get caught up. A long while back I wanted a TLC but went with the Sequoia. Great ride, very enjoyable but the move is on again and my plan was next summer/fall 2006 to get my first TLC. Big question will be is 2007 model year the year for all the changes. I joined the $50 club in my Seq long ago but I didn't buy it for the gas but for what I can do and where I live.

Looking forward to keeping up and being a part of the next chapter in the TLC landscape. :)
  • sun_diegosun_diego Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '99 TLC last year and love it. It's a major improvement over the 4Runner which it replaced (with the exception of gas mileage, which is 12.5 mpg). A new set of Bilsteins has made a huge difference and I plan on upgrading the brakes to help slow this monster down. Since there are a lot out there, you can get one cheap.

My wife drives a 2001 3.0 X5 which I consider more of a sedan that sits up high. Much more fun to drive the X5, but once l leave the asphalt, I'd rather be in the LC (probably more so bc I don't want to damage it). The X5 has been a great car, not one problem, and is truly fun to drive. Gas mileage has been close to 18 mpg.

Apples and Oranges. Good luck.
    I recently had my front brakes replaced and I was told had rotor "warping" or rings which needed machining. The trouble is that my indy informed me that he had to do a partial teardown to get at the rotors. Apparently this isnt a problem on the more recent LCs (Fj100S?). Just in case there are any LC folks still logging in here - any observations on this issue? It certainly makes a simple brake job a very expensive proposition. The alternative was to just replace the pads for $200 (with no machining/rebuild etc @$300) and then possibly be subjected to less breaking power owing to the uneven rotors and possible (eeeek!) squealing brakes. I didnt choose the cheaper alternative - was I wasting my money and was the "squealing brakes" a genuine factor? And would a Toyota dealer do a cheaper rotor job on the basis of experience = less hours labor? Or would they just REPLACE the rotors at greater expense?
    I think you did the right thing. I'm sure others may have input on this subject, but.....IIRC you have a '91 so surely you're no stranger to brake "issues" with an 80 series. =)

There&#146;s certainly more than one opinion on rotor turning v. rotor replacement on an 80. My rule of thumb on an 80 is you can turn the fronts once and the rears maybe once, but replacement is preferable.

If the rotors were warped and grooved, that means your existing pads would have some corresponding grooves as well. So you wouldn&#146;t want to use old pads with new (or turned) rotors or new pads with old rotors for the same reason. I&#146;m not sure what you mean by a partial tear down to get at the rotors. It&#146;s not a simple matter of taking the wheel off and then the rotor though, so perhaps that&#146;s what your mechanic was referring to?

I haven&#146;t done anything to the brakes (yet) on my 100 series, but I typically get around 40K miles and change on TRD pads on the fronts on my 80 and about the same, maybe a bit more, with stock pads on the rears. I put new rotors all the way around at 80K on the 80.

If you haven't tried the TRD pads, I think you'd prefer them to stock Toy pads. Longer lasting and they do improve the braking a bit too.
    The indy who did the work (I wish I was handy enough and had the tools to do it myself) reckons that its not easy to get at the rotors on the Fj80 and (as I recall what he said) you have to remove the hub?? and repack?? etc etc after putting the rotors back on - very expensive man-hours. Sounds like a crap design if its not easy to do a brake job! Still my front brakes (new pads and turned rotors) lasted 37,000 - but on second thoughts that worked out at 1.135 cents per mile just for the brakes......!!!! And the lastest job was 20% more expensive than the previous time (the $420 cost went up to $500). But would a dealer have charged more or less (I am sure the dealer would have replaced the rotors and not turned them btw).
    Sounds like you got good value for your repair $. 37,000 miles is far better than most get out of pads and rotors on an 80 before some kind of maintenance is needed. Hard to say what the dealer would have charged you. Replacing v. turning the rotors (should) depend on the amount of scoring/warping in the old rotors.

As to the design issue.....if you haven't had to replace the lower heater hose (driver's side, under the exhaust manifold and near the firewall) hope you don't have to. Now that's an example of a non user friendly repair!
    I hope you sources are accurate because my dealer indicated that the LC is being discontinued. Said they have been in the process for a couple of years now to phase it out. Given that the dealers are usually the last to know, I would take with a grain of salt. Makes you wonder though, whether Toyota/Lexus may be transitioning the LX for the U.S. only and keep the LC overseas. Obviously, they would be insane to get rid of the LC "brand equity" nameplate, but its clearly better recognized/appreciated abroad.
    I am pretty sure I had to get that replaced - I recall my indy bitching long and hard about replacing a hose and would bet a dime to a donut that was it!
    Don't think the LC will ever be discontinued....speculation has been ongoing for a long time now about whether or not it will continue to be imported to the US. Remember we heard similar rumors when the 100 series replaced the 80 series. Only then it was whether or not Toy would continue to sell the LC or have Lexus sell it.

The LC market appears to still be strong here in So Cal--at least judging by the used car ads and what I see at the dealers here. They seem to be gone just as soon as the dealer puts them on the lot.

The Sequoia has certainly affected LC sales. Prior to the introduction of the Seq, the LC was the full sized SUV for Toy. Just think of all the LCs that would be on the road now, if Toy hadn't introduced the Seq here.

Can't imagine Toy opting out of the luxury SUV market in the US and letting RR take it over.

As always, I'm guilty of coloring my comments with my alter ego who wishes he were in charge of LC design and distribution here =)
    I bet you're right about that. If not the worst, it's got to be close to the worst replacement to perform. There's virtually no room to work in, the hose is very short and really crammed in to an incredibly small space. Would like to meet the person responsible for both its design and location!!
  • mdsequoiamdsequoia Member Posts: 22
    I have always looked at it this way, Toyota knows what makes money and makes sense. They will offer the LC as long as it makes money and good sense. I have a Sequoia but I can honestly say I look forward to getting a LC there is a big difference between the two.
    Believe the LC is the top selling SUV in the world. Of course we get only one (well two counting the LX) version here.

Don't know about your part of the country, but here in SoCal I never see any LC specials advertised. I've been driving them for so long, don't know what I'd do without one.

I think they're the best vehicle on the road--and yes I'm pretty biased =))
    Well I grew up in Africa and Australia so I have seen a ton of Landcruisers and Landrovers of all vintages doing their thing in the outback. I cant imagine Toyota eliminating a global brand........but Toyota will have to focus on fuel-efficiency perhaps a bit more....like introduce the turbo-diesel version in the US?
    Hmmmm, we can only hope =) for a diesel. My guess is we'll get both LC and LXs here (new models), but in the limited #s we've seen since introduction of the Seqouia.

Lower #s will help CAFE mileage. I'd guess new one will have 15 or 16 city rating and 20 highway ratings? Will be interesting to see the hybrid version.
  • lccressidalccressida Member Posts: 5
    I believe the TLC will still be around, but the Lexus LX will be replaced by the next gen Sequoia, probably will be named VX 540. I think Lexus is going to compete with the Infinity version of the Armada, and the Navigator.
    Today's WSJ has an article on double digit declining sales of SUVs and pickups--including Sequoia-- in TX. "Compete" with the Navigator? That's not a fair fight =)
    I saw the article - sales are down across the board for SUVs somewhat unsurprisingly because of fuel costs. Every cloud has a silver lining - now one can get a nice used LC on the cheap. As I have posted before, the very low maintenance costs (front brakes aside!) of the LC make up for sticker shock at the gas pump.
    Guess what surprised me was that this was in TX, where I thought gas was almost free =)
  • skijeff123skijeff123 Member Posts: 1
    Shutout,
    Do you still have the rattling problems? I had a 2002 with similar issues. Many dashboard rattles, beginng about 12,000 miles. The dealer disassembled the dash, and reassembles. They made significant improvements (this was around 36,000 miles). I would have them do it. Since then, I traded the 2002 in on a 2005. Good luck with it.
  • rpsbrpsb Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to pull the trigger on a '05 Land Cruiser this weekend. The one that I was looking at does not have the rear DVD player installed. Was mulling over wether to find one with rear DVD or go after market. Does anyone have any expereince in getting a rear DVD installed .. overhead or in head rests? Any brands to look for? or dealers in the MD/VA/DC area?
    I would suggest going without the DVD from the dealer.

Firstly it is not a Factory option but dealer installed. Secondly the dealers don't install it in their shop, they outsource it to shops that install accessories. I know this because my cousin has a business that does this for some dealers. The factory dvd has only a 7 inch display and costs about 1700 bucks. You can get a really good aftermarket Sony system with a 9 inch screeen and two wireless headphones for about 800 bucks installed. 6th Avenue electronics a NY metro area electronics retailer has this sytem on sale.
  • rpsbrpsb Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I went without the dealer installed DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations in the DC/MD/VA area?
  • trdcruisertrdcruiser Member Posts: 2
    Hope I am not to late. I bought a 05 LC earlier this year from Miller in Manassas, great sales force, but they know nothing about the LC. Anyways, I had the Convenience Package and DVD player installed at the dealer when I bought the Land Cruiser and boy was it a mistake. The Sunroof wind deflector (SD) comes off everytime I hit 70+mph on I-66 and the DVD player they installed stained (with oil streaks) my visor that I push back to open the sunroof. If I were you I would make sure these are already installed. Another thing the sales people told me was that I could control the rear DVD from the center console where the 6 CD player is, but that is not correct. There is a separate DVD player in the back right of the vehicle by the 3rd row. good luck, you can not go wrong with Toyota and especially the Land Cruiser.
    Read this on another forum....

Land Cruiser enters the 2006 model year with several changes that add style, refinement and safety to the legendary off-road king. For the 2006 model year, the Land Cruiser receives an all new front fascia including an upscale grille and refined headlamp housings. Also, new rear tail lamps and a high gloss wheel finish raise Land Cruiser&#146;s image to a higher level. To better handle normal road conditions and off-road trekking, Land Cruiser&#146;s engine performance is greatly enhanced. With the addition of Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-i), the 4.7L V8 now delivers 275 HP and 332 lb-ft of torque, for an increase of 40 HP and 12 lb-ft from 2005. Following our strategy to provide the safest vehicles on the road, Tire Pressure Monitor System has been incorporated as standard equipment.

Additionally, optional 4-wheel Automatic Height Control is now available to further advance Land Cruiser&#146;s renowned off-road abilities. With all of these great enhancements, Land Cruiser&#146;s base MSRP will increase a modest $490 (+0.9%) to $55,815.

OPTIONS
    Please note, new options available for &#145;06MY Land Cruiser are as follows:
    Description Spec Code 2006 MSRP 4-Wheel Height Control NF $1,620 Rear Spoiler RF $280
  • jumper4x4jumper4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I have been 4x4ing my 1985 FJ60 with stock suspension for almost a year now but I want to upgrade to larger wheels. But to do so I need more wheel well clearence. I have found lift packages from old man emu and bds for over 800 bucks for only 2.5". I have also heard of a different lift called a leaf over lift? If anybody has any experience and knowledge of lifting FJ60's, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I've now heard from two different "connected" people that the '07 LC (US version) may be built on a Sequoia frame. I hope this is not true =(

Getting an '06 may be the last time, if you live in the US, to get a real Landcruiser?
    Hard to imagine Toy would go through the trouble of updating the engine and make the aformentioned cosmetic changes and then redesign for 2007. Do your connections think the 2006 enhancements buy the 100 more than one model year or is 2006 indeed the last year for the real LC?
  • jslcruiserjslcruiser Member Posts: 2
    I'm the proud owner of a 1997 Land Cruiser - I absolutely love this vehicle, even though I've had multiple mechanical problems (wholly attributable to the previous owner) since I bought it a couple of years ago (with only ~ 35k miles on it). I am looking forward to participating in discussion and learning as much as I can!
    FF4L-

Adding up the various bits and pieces of info I've heard and throwing in a liberal amount of self speculation, I think the 100 series is done after the '06MY.

If this were 25 years ago I could understand Toy opting the LC out of the US market because of the cost to certify the vehicle here--but, I think most new vehicles are "green" friendly now. That is emissions etc are pretty much standard worldwide. Of course as time goes on fewer SUV customers want to pony up the extra $$$ for the smaller LC when they just look at the LC and compare it to a Sequoia.

My plea to Toy is to continue with the real LC here in order to satisfy that niche market. Can't fathom seeing a Sequoia with Landcruiser badging! Hopefully, we'll get some solid info before the new one comes out and we can jump on an '06 100 if it is indeed the last of the real LCs.

:(