Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    $1300 over for an 06? Take it! Good deal, especially since there is no factory-to-dealer money available on the TLC.
  • sf_cruisersf_cruiser Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. I wasn't sure what the amount over invoice was for an '06 TLC.
    Hi, I'm purchasing a '06 TLC, which for me, unfortunately, comes with a Rear Spoiler (code: RF). I tried to get the dealer to take it off, but they said it isn't the same spoiler as an '04 or '05, and has the center light built into it! Any suggestions?

I was hoping to remove it, but didn't know if anyone has experience with the 2006 model, and whether that screws anything up to take it off. Apparently there are some wires (for the center rear light) in the spoiler...

Do you think a body shop could do a good job of taking that off? What about a Toyota service center? Would they do that?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Any decent body shop should be able to do it for you. Should be about 4 bolts holding the spoiler on and maybe one additional for the wiring. They'd have to fill them and paint the area.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want it off? It does a very good job of keeping the spray/dust/grime off the rear window.

Ken
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I like the classic look of the TLC without the RX300 or Sequoia-looking spoiler.

In terms of the spoiler, do you know that it is 4 bolts + 1 wiring for the 2006 model year? I was told it was different from the '04 or '05 model spoilers. How would I add back a rear center brake light, since the '06 apparently is on the spoiler itself? Thanks for your thoughts.
    NP. I haven't seen an '06 yet, so can't say that there is a significant difference. My guess is that the only option would be to mount a light inside of the rear window though. When we get one, I'll be happy to look, but my guess is that may be too late for you. Sorry I don't have other info. As for the number of bolts, etc. I'm going on the current layout for the LC, Seq, 4Runner, Highlander, RAV-4, etc. They're all pretty much the same layout.

Ken
  • fishooked2fishooked2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,

Sorta new here - go easy on me, lol. Anyway, I really like the older styling LC's and may be looking to unload my Jeep Cherokee (ugh) for a used LC. Im probably looking for something in the year range of 1996-1999 I think - can't really afford to spend more than 10K max.

I know I'll be looking at something with over 100K miles on it, but for a Toyota thats really not a major concern - I was just wondering if you LC experts can help me what to look for, what to avoid, etc, maintenance costs, etc. Thanks!
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone seen the 06 yet? I'm thinking about getting one.
  • berkoberko Member Posts: 1
    To all : I have a 01 LC with 55K on it (picked it up in 03) and finally got rid of the horrible Dunlops GrandTreks. After 10+ years in 4Runners running several brands (GY, Dunlop, Mich LTX, Bridgestone) and after much research and price shopping, I selected the Yokohama Geolander HT-S this time and have been very impressed. Ordered direct from discounttire.com (free shipping!) and they were at my house in 3 days. Smooth, quiet, great traction (rain and dirt road only so far) and good looking with a unique side wall (blackwalls side out of course!). Highly recommended for anyone looking for a new set of tires for the LC 275/70 16.
  • tuition06tuition06 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 97 LX 450, only 61,000 miles. Awesome condition. Can anyone advise me - can I have aftermarket ARB locker/s installed? Is the cost prohibitive? Main use is deep snow only. Monmouth County area, NJ.

Thanks
  • peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    I have seen one and driven one. Very nice to drive, smoother and more power than my 04. The one I drove was fully loaded with a sticker of $65,000, they would give me $2,000 off list price that it. All in all very nice, but I don't know if I would pay up when you can probably get a new 05 fully loaded for around $55,000. Also, I thought the spoiler looked fine. Good luck!
    Thanks for the report, did it have the air suspension? How did it work? Does it drop pretty low for access?
  • peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    It did have the air suspension and it was very nice, that's probably why it rode better than my 04. In normal mode it was smoother than my 04, and in sport it handled the turns flatter. I did not try the access mode though so I can't really comment on that.
  • bigmtnsnwbrdrbigmtnsnwbrdr Member Posts: 4
    I'd love to know which decision you make and how it turns out. I'm die hard about getting a 40th Anniversary Edition '97. People know I'm price cautious but I have the time and patience for upgrades. I would love it if I could find one with a 2inch suspension lift, new chasis anchored bumpers & GPS. My boss used to be a Land Rover driving school instructor. So I'll have the opportunity to find some crazy terrain in the Tahoe area to play around.
  • dhobsondhobson Member Posts: 1
    Slide the passenger seat all the way to the front and tip up the back for more room. Enter the back door, under the passenger seat you will find a plastic cover on the floor. Remove the (2) plastic screws and the cover (yes they are screws not snaps). This is the navigation unit. On the left side of the unit there is a lock, slide the lock to the right. Turn on the ignition switch. Push the eject button on the nav unit (under the seat, in the lock you just slid to the right) . The disk will come out. Check and see what version you have. REMEMBER WHEN YOU INSTALL THE NEW VERSION, YOU CAN NOT RETURN TO THE OLDER VERSION AS IT ALSO UPDATES SOFTWARE IN THE UNIT! Congratulations... you just saved $42 for 3 minutes work.

I have the 2002 Toyota Landcruiser with the 2001 dvd, I upgraded to the 2004 dvd. Now my neighborhood and lots of other streets show up for Houston.

I purchased the dvd from Toyota for $250, but I think you can get it for half that on ebay from someone selling lexus nav dvd's.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Following a major storm through here recently I noticed a sloshing sound everytime I braked suddenly. I checked the doors, no water there. Is it possible that there are drainage holes blocked somewhere and water is collecting under the floor somehow? HELP ......this cant be doing any good at all.

Update, could this be water trapped in the wall between the passenger and engine compartments? The grill area near the base of the window wipers might be blocked and water going in the wrong direction?
    I have identified the problem via Slee Off Road - water got into the rocker panels. I pulled out one of the rubber plugs underneath the panel on the passenger side and got about 4 gallons of water out....

I was told that the sunroof drains through the rocker panels but I am still unsure how I ended up with this problem. And how do the rocker panels drain if water makes it inside? I cant find any drain outlets. :cry:
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    I have a Black 2000 TLC with 50k miles on it - great truck and I love it - the wife wants to give me her white 2004 BMW 545i as a trade and sell the TLC cause she has her eye on a new White RR - all dolled up and such - she likes the air suspension system (go figure)

I have read through the previous posts about a major upgrade coming soon and would like to put her off until the new model is available to compare with the RR - based upon what is known now - any idea how the new TLC will match up against a RR? Will it look like a larger 4Runner? Thanks in advance

Bullethead
    The 06 TLC are out already and there are no "major" changes, so I guess it'll be at least a year before they give it a total redesign. I'd go and get the 06 RR if you can afford it, its just got a facelift with some nice upgrades.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Yeah, get the RR, if you enjoy having a vehicle in the shop all the time, plummeting re-sale value, interior trim pieces that fall off, turn signals that come on when you use the windshiled wiper control, center consoles that come apart when you want to use a cup holder, unexplained oil leaks, inoperable windows....

Visit an RR discussion board. Or you might like to know about the 80 some new RRs rec'd at the processing center that all had water in the transmissions instead of transmission fluid, or the huge # of them that can't keep a charge on the battery. (Good old RR electrical systems) RR is consistently at the bottom of JD Powers customer satisfaction ratings. (But they are sexy looking)

Better yet, just send me the money you're planning on using to buy that RR =)
    Yeah, get the RR, if you enjoy having a vehicle in the shop all the time

Thats why I bought an Fj80 over the RR when I got my first LC.......
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Just look at the Edmunds TMV for a 2000 RR. It is actually lower than that of a 2000 LC, which was a less expensive vehicle at the time. I also like to look at the water that gets trapped in the headlights and side blinkers whenever I see one in rainy weather. ;-)
    Check my above post and you will see that I had water in my rocker panels :cry: - but that is I am sure because of a blockage resulting from parking outside for years....
    Wow! Did your Mom get run over by a Range Rover? So much hate. Well anyway, its not like you can't find problems even on this forum about the TLC. I've driven the RR and its a very nice modern Luxury SUV. Take that as you wish.
    I've driven the RR and its a very nice modern Luxury SUV. Take that as you wish.

Thats true - when the RR is actually on the road. :sick:
  • memphistlcmemphistlc Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone suggest a good leather upholstery cleaner and conditioner to extend life of leather? I've heard Lexol products are good. Any ideas?
    Lexol are the only products that I would ever recommend using on any leather product. Car, home, or apparel.

Ken
  • musicrowmusicrow Member Posts: 2
    can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Nashville area for a l988 Toyota Land Cruiser. thanks
    OK got a quote for an 06 TLC, list is $66K discount price is $59K. Is this a good deal? Comes with Nav, Air suspension, Airbags, DVD, and roofrack/sidesteps.
  • curious54curious54 Member Posts: 47
    I HAVE A 2005 TLC AND I AM THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A 5500LBS TRAVEL TRAILER. I PLAN TO USE THIS VEHICLE FOR A LONG TIME AND I WILL ONLY BE TOWING IT AROUND 4 TIMES A YEAR. MY QUESTION IS THAT WILL I LOOSE THE RELIABILITY AND LONGEVITY ON MY CAR BY TOWING IT.
    Provided your trailer is within the spec size for your LC I wouldnt think that 4 times a year would be a factor - more important is the kind of drive you make with the trailer. If its all highway, no sweat. To illustrate: a Boeing 747 has a much longer useful life and requires less maintenance than than a Boeing 737 - the latter makes many many more landings. In any event go easy when towing if you want to keep the LC for a long time. :)
  • graylcgraylc Member Posts: 16
    Sound like a very good price.
    Not sure;
    may be torque convertor shudder;
    usually that occurs under light load, like going up a
    slight hill under light pedal pressure; or even
    on a level road under light pedal;
    and I mean very light pedal pressure.
    It will go away with heavy pedal pressure,
    that is until it fails entirely.

I would put the tranny shifter in drive and leave it there
    during your driving and testing.

You could try dropping the pan, changing/cleaning the filter screen,
    and then using the Toyota approved tranny fluid.

Sometimes, if you are really lucky, it is just a bad
    torque convertor solenoid; but you would have to find
    a very very good mechanic, who was also very very honest
    to diagnose that properly, and not try to sell you a new unit;
    only happens once a year on Christmas Eve.

Look for bits of metal on the dip stick also under
    bright sunlight; this is usually a tell tale sign that
    the tranny is being eaten up somewhere.

You could also pay $100 to have the tranny flushed;
    but I would still drop the pan and clean it out first.

good luck
    g
    Some of those prices are high; sound like they saw you coming.
    usually they will have a package price for all the gear boxes
    both diffs and transfer case.

I would recommend shopping around for a shop that will let
    use your fluid, that is, if they do not carry Mobil 1
    synthetic GEAR OIL; you could go to any of the parts stores
    and buy your own.

Also, find LUBEGUARD additive for gear boxes;
    Napa usually carries the line; not cheap, but if you change
    everything to synthetic, and add lubeguard, you will not
    have to do it again for at least a few years.

You can drain, or suck out, the fluid from your powering steering unit;

Buy a suction gun at the auto parts store; like Napa;
    and just suck it out a little at a time, replacing it with
    new fluid, run it a minute, and repeat 4-6 times. Done.

I would recommend having the tranny flushed; but make sure they
    fill the flush machine with enough fluid to completely flush your old
    fluid out; that should be around 14-16 quarts;
    I got smarter after I learned the local Toyota dealers were only
    using 6 quarts!
    The LC has a big tranny.

The fuel injection cleaning for $55 is only a can of stuff they put in your tank;
    the dealer uses a high pressure can they attach directly to the fuel rail
    does a better job.

Toyota's use a special long life radiator fluid;
    I would only have a dealer do that service

Bottomline;
    I would go to the Toyota dealer for everything;
    OR, do it myself.

Good luck.
    g
    I own a 96 LC, and like it, but there are trade-offs.

The 97 uses a real timing chain, not a belt, that does not need changing;
    ever.
    So it is odd that he changed it; must have been something wrong with
    the engine.
    13K is a lot of work; like a complete engine rebuild.

Does depend on the deal you are getting.

Only problems I have had has been a vibration that no one can
    figure out, and a loud whistling noise from the exhaust;
    sound like a jet engine when I accelerate.

When you have to replace the front rotors on the 97, it is a big
    and expensive job; about 8 hours labor, plus parts.

On the 98, you do have to replace the timing belt at 80,000 miles;
    and it costs around 1200, as they replace the water pump at the same time.
    But then, as it has an independant front suspension,
    the rotors are easy to replace.

Whichever way you go; use synthetics.
    I use gear oil (Mobil 1),
    synthetic engine oil(Mobil 1 extended life)
    and a K&N air filter; and get much better pick-up
    and around 17mpg in the 97.

g
    Shop around; these are not selling as fast as they used to
    do to the cost of gas;
    you should be paying $5000 LESS than sticker.
    g
    This vehicle should have come with locking diffs standard;
    are you sure you don;t have them already?
    g
    Easy way to check
    pour a small amount of colored water into the
    grill in front of the windshield,
    and see if it dribbles out on the ground.

There should be a clean out port on the firewall for that area.

If you part under a tree that drops a lot of junk
    on the car, the drain hole could get plugged.

The doors and the floor also have drain holes;
    get under the car and look for them near the edges
    there are also rubber plugs on the inside of the rocker panels.

A Toyota dealer should be able to help
    g
    Is RR for Range Rover?
    If so, run very very fast (from the RR)

The LC is 10 times the vehicle..

good luck
    g
    Major body style change planned for the 2007 LC.
    g
    Who makes the shocks for late model TLC's...is it Toyota? I love the ride on my 2000 and want to replace the shocks on my '99 Isuzu Trooper with similar shocks.
    Center diff is the only one that's standard on this vehicle--front and rear lockers were an option.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Has anyone put a K&N intake kit on to a 2000 Land Cruiser? If so, how much power gain did you feel, how was gas millage affected, and how was the sound?
    I didn't put the kit on but I did put a K&N filter in my 2000 recently. Too early to tell and not sure I'll really be able to discern. I figure that a simple mod like a K&N can only help all the way around.
  • dsmcruiserdsmcruiser Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just picked up a 1997 TLC. How do you guys change your oil? The filter is located up top so I am afraid to dump oil from there. Can I just unscrew it let it drip down to a pan on the floor or do u guys have a special way to stick a longneck funnel somehow? Also, Has anyone installed a K&N on the 97 version? Whats the recommended /best spark plugs and wires to use? Thanks in advance guys. John
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. When I referred to "invoice" I am describing Dealer Invoice, not MSRP. I got my '06 LC for $800 over dealer invoice + $500 to Cartelligent, for a total of $1,300 over dealer invoice, and about $6,000 below MSRP. Thanks.
    You might try wrapping a "baggie" around the filter as you loosen it to minimize oil dripping down the side of the block, even so it's almost unavoidable to not have some oil drip down and on the top of the axle housing. It's pretty tight in there and if the filter's on real snug, you'll probably need to use a filter wrench. As access is a problem from the top, I go underneath to get a filter wrench on the filter and break it free. Just wipe off the oil from the side of the block, top of the axle etc after you remove the filter before putting the new one on. And smear some oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter before you install it.

I'd stick with factory recommended plugs and wires.

HTH
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Is it worth it to switch to a full synthetic oil verses a conventual oil?
  • bradespbradesp Member Posts: 21
    Guys,

I'm looking to buy a used Landcruiser year 1999 or 2000 or a Sequoia year 2001 or 2002. Aside from the Sequoia being newer, are there any other pros' / con's to looking at purchasing one of these two vehicles?

Thanks!

bradesp