Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    This is actually an amphibious version of the Landcruiser they build for the next James Bond film.
  • linearchlinearch Member Posts: 2
    hey folks,
    nice to find this site.....
    i got an '89 TLC a few weeks ago, and i'm having issues with my brakes. they seem a little soft (not dangerous yet). when i come to a complete stop with my foot on the brake, the pedal will slowly lower further to the floor. i need to lift off and reengage to to have it come up again, and even then it slowly makes it's way to the floor again. seems like a pressure issue. a long red light will have me do this ~3 times. anybody seen this before or have any ideas as to what it could be?

just for fun, here is a pic of the ride:
    http://www.linearchitecture.com/dl/tlc.jpg

any help would be much appreciated.
    many thanks,
    charles
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I am no expert but my guess (from experience) is that you have air in the brake's hydraulic system - which is why you have so much play in your brake pedal (you are squeezing out the air when you apply pressure). Your brake cylinders will probably have to be bled and refilled - and you may need new seals (have you noticed brake fluid on the ground underneath the LC when you park?). If the above doesnt work you may need new brake cylinders. Keep us informed......
  • linearchlinearch Member Posts: 2
    thx grantchstr,
    i'll check the pavement and let you all know the final diagnosis. appreciate the response.
    //charles
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Good morning , I seldom post but I read alot of other posts.
    Three years ago I purchased a brand new 2003 TLC but just recently I noticed that the TLC has no skid plates (shields) . Is this normal ?
    Took it to the dealer where I bought it and they said, including the service manager the TLC does not come with skid plate. To me,it does not makes sense. I thought they would
    be standard equipment . OFF ROAD .
    Any advise , opinions will be welcome.
    While the dealer was changing oil and filter I sneaked in to watch and notice something or the lack of somethings.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lou
  • ternesternes Member Posts: 13
    Lou,

I have an '04 LC and it does have skid plates on the front suspension, fuel tank and transfer case. Don't know about the '03, but if you still have the '03 brochure the skid plates should be listed in the specification page. I would think they did come on the '03.
    Hi ternes, this morning I spoke with Toyota customer service , I was kept on the line on hold for almost 15 minutes waiting while this guy would find out about the SP to tell me that Toyota uses plastic , Black plastic under the gas tank and the oil pan.
    An OFF ROAD I can't believe it . Next I am going above this CS's and write a letter to Toyota in Japan.
    Thanks
    Lou
  • ternesternes Member Posts: 13
    Lou,

The skid plate that covers the entire front suspension is some type of black plastic or it could be a carbon fiber of some sore for all I know. It is very thick and appears to be very tough.

The skid plate that covers the transfer case is steel (a magnet will stick to it) and painted black.

The skid plate that covers the gas tank is all steel (magnet test again) and is huge. It not only covers the entire bottom but goes half way up the sides all around. There are drain holes and it is also painted black.

There is no skid plate under the oil pan as it set high up in the ladder frame very close to a cross member. Very well protected.

If you have any doubts as to how much engineering and thought Toy put into making it bulletproof look at the very thick u-shaped piece of steel that protects the end of the tailpipe. Unreal.

Regards,
    Jim
    Jim .
    Tomorrow morning I am going to take the LC to Prolube or Pep Boys and to take my time looking for what you mention if I can I will take pictures .
    What you describe I don't remember seen it. Due to my bad health dealing with prostate cancer for about 18 months and now with a extreme case of anemia perhaps is me , but since the local dealership and Toyota USA tell me that is not part the equipment , I will become Sherlock Holmes.
    Thanks , I will keep you posted.
    Lou
  • albivalbiv Member Posts: 35
    Lou

I have an '03 LC. There is a thick black plastic (or some kind of resin material) skid plate that protects the entire front underside all the way up to the tranny drain bolt. This skid plate needs to be removed to drain the oil during oil changes or when lubing the front universal joints. It does not protect the tranny drain pan. There is also a steel plate protecting the transfer case and a very robust looking skid plate protecting the gas tank. Hope this helps.

Albi
    About 17 month ago I had a piece of tile in the shape of a knife that blew up the rear right tire it could have gone thru the gas tank instead.
    Albi , what you describe I don't have.
    When the dealer says NO Skid Plates in the TLC.
    My wife told me stop litigating with them and look for aftermarket SP.
    Does you or Jim knows where to get the plates, info. will be most welcome.
    Thank you guys again.
    Lou
    Lou

I would try to contact a dealer through the internet to see if they can be special ordered. There's a poster on the FJ forum that is a dealer, you may want to try and contact him, goes by toyodlr.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef54305?displayRecent
    Thanks Albi.
    I send toyodl an E-mail.
    I will let you know as soon as I get something.
    Lou
    Lou

Glad to help

Albi
  • 4toys4toys Member Posts: 14
    I have a 1995 Land Cruiser and there seems to be some play in the steering. Is this typical of this Cruiser series?
    Got an E-mail from toyodl , he says skids plates are factory install and that Toyota does not sells them afterwards. And to check on after market products, also high performance shops.
    Albi , thanks for your help , I' ll keep you posted.
    Lou
    Changing the subject . I would like to add Headers and Dual Exhaust does anyone had done this to their TLC ? I got a 2003 LC
    Thanks for the E-mail, good site.
    Lou
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I noticed that you can get memory seats as an option in the Sequioa. I wonder why this is not an option on the Landcruiser. I can never seem to get my seat back to the same position after someone else has used the car. :(
    Also the Sequioa is considerably cheaper than the LC - it has no import tax as its made in the US.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • hprjrhprjr Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone recently had an O2 sensor replaced on their LC? I have an '01 and the dealership said sensor #1 on bank #1 was bad according to the computer readout. Estimated price was 150$/part and 1 hr. labor-does that sound about right? Thanks for any help.
  • seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Had it done late last year on my 2000 LC. Cost me about $280 after everything was said and done (with tax), so your estimate seems about right. Just out of curiosity, what's your mileage?
    mileage is 85,000-mostly highway miles-this will be the first non-scheduled service visit thus far. Thanks for your reply.
  • memphistlcmemphistlc Member Posts: 10
    Have a 2000 LC and want a quality low profile, noise reducing sunroof wind deflector? Suggestions and price?

Are the Toyota versions any better than a Lund or Ventshade brand? Thanks.
    You're welcome. Mine had to be replaced at 77,000, so that's in the same ballpark. Two weeks later the one in my Volvo went. :mad:
    Had it replaced today and LOF with synthetic for a total of $250. So far so good. Again, Thanks
  • engine54engine54 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 LC, just had fuel sender replaced in tank and now after driving for 15 min, can smell strong gasoline odor at left rear tire wheel well. No gas under car is visible. Dealer can not find and has no idea Any Ideas? They pressurized the system and did not find a leak. Odor is there for 15 minutes. Thanks for any suggestions
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    I am thinking about trading in my 2001 Land Cruiser in on a new LX470 but I can't find one without that hideous rear spoiler/ wind deflector. Does anyone know if it will be major surgery to remove it and put one on like my 2001 has. The '01 has the old style black one that was used for many years. Has anyone done this to theirs ??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a full blown interactive tour of the 2006 Land Cruiser:

Interactive Video Tour

Steve, Host
  • lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    Hi all,

wondering if anyone can help shed some light onto a problem that just popped up with my power steering. when i am turning the wheel fully in a parking situation the power steering seems to be choppy and cuts in and out. the steering is fine at higher speeds. wondering if this is indicative of the belts needing to be replaced or retensioned. the power steering fluid is ok and i had the pump rebuilt with new gaskets about 3-4 years ago.

thanks in advance for any info.
    So what was the problem?
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    I'm about ready to buy a new Land Cruiser, but these recent spikes in gas prices have me a bit wary of the purchase. Could anyone share their gas mileage experiences?
  • steenhsteenh Member Posts: 103
    My 99 gets about 13 city... stop and go, and 17 hwy at 75mph

My 97 gets 12 city and 15 hwy

Both well over 100k miles.
    '03 with 30k miles

15.5 city
    19 highway

But, I hardly ever rev over 2k RPM in city driving and I try to anticipate green lights in order to avoid starting from a dead stop.
  • qualitynutqualitynut Member Posts: 36
    I don't believe your comment about having to remove the skid plate to drain oil is correct. My 03 has two small removable covers; one to replace the filter and one to drain the oil (without removing the entire plate).

Rick
    I got appx 33000 miles.
    I am heavy footer. On a recent round trip of over 600 miles I average a little over 20 mpg
    at speeds of 80 + mph
    Oil and filter change every 3000 to 3500 miles using synthetic oil.

Speaking of Skid Plates my 03 TLC has none . Bought brand new from Toyota of Melbourne, Florida .
    I talk to them many times and they say the LC do not need them. Also call Toyota HQ and they were less than helpful , but same answer.
    Lou
    Assuming you drive 12,000 a year the extra cost of an LC over a 22mpg car will be ~$63 a month (assume $3 a gallon gas and 15 mpg). Thats pretty trivial for a $50,000 car - particulalry when you consider the low maintenance costs will save you a bundle.
    I average about 34,000 miles per year on my 4Runner, which now has 352,000 miles on the odo. This is my 3rd Toyota, and 2nd 4Runner. First Toyota was a Cressida back in the early 1980's. The 4Runner has been great, but now I need a bigger SUV. The Sequoia is bit too big, and personally do not like it. Land Cruiser has always been my favorite, and fits my photography business needs perfectly. I guess I'm just trying to justify the cost, as the Cruiser is about twice the price of the 4Runner. I could live w/20mpg hwy. Is this what most of you are getting on the new Land Cruisers?
    I just had a similar problem, brake pedal squishy to the floor and much reduced braking force. It turned out to be a failure in a rear brake line which had to be replaced - $180. I had the brake system flushed plus new brake fluid - $110..plus I got charged for an "inspection" ($39.95) and then $42.50 for a brake "adjustment" afterwards. I guess you could say my wallet was also flushed. :mad:
    Hi James.
    Since the day I bought I use Regular gas with no problems and between Rockledge , Cocoa, Cape Canaveral and Orlando I get most of the time a little bit above 20 mpg.
    the TLC rides very smooth.
    My 03' is Black Garnet beautiful color when is clean.
    Lou
    2000 LC, 78k miles, Mobil1: Never under 15 MPG in city driving (except for the most grueling stop and go traffic), 18-19 MPG highway. I am pretty light footed, though. I switch between regular, mid grade and premium and see very little to no impact on mileage or performance. Still, rationalize all you want, I don't think I'll get used to $60 fill-ups when in a not so distant past it cost less than $30.
  • spokomptonspokompton Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a fun A to B rig that will perform well with the occasional romp off road (not a daily commuter). I found a 1989 FJ 62 170K original miles. Only 20K since new factory Toyota engine was installed. The body is great; new paint (no signs of rust). I would gut the interior and start over again, but all in all it looks like a solid rig. I am going to test drive it today, what are some questions I should ask or things I should look for to determine if this is a good buy? Also is $8500 reasonable? Thanks
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Having owned a 1987 TLC FJ60 for 14 years and app 250,000 miles, if I may project 2 years to 1989, I would take a guess if there is no rust or accident damage that it will be good for a MINIMUM of another 15 years. The interiors can be as costly as going to junk yards to get used/replacement seats, etc, or buying kits to re upholster or even custom build to your specifications.

Granted the fuel mileage is probably not a strong selling point in todays' fuel prices scenario, but it is a very bullet proof vehicle. I would hesitate to comment on the prices (not seeing the vehicle or getting a better sense of things) but I sold mine for 9,000 dollars (and that was for a QUICK sale) in 2001!!!!! If I had marketed it better I could have gotten 10,000 to 11,000 !!

So on mine, you might want to look closely and ask about the radiator, mine gave out app the 13th year. Also when was the AC last serviced (freon). After app 12 years mine took app 1# of freon. I also had a clutch and it was almost literally bullet proof, so you might want to ask about the auto trans that comes on the 1989.

All in all in unscheduled maintenance, I had the master/slave cylinder go (400), starter and alternator (350), radiator (600). Since it was a business vehicle I took it to the dealer for the services. So if you are at all handy, these prices are inflated for the labor paid to the dealer.
  • spokomptonspokompton Member Posts: 6
    Thank you so much. I have long admired the TLC and dreamed of owning one someday. I am excited that "someday" might be here. Thanks for your helpful insights, they will be most useful.

http://www.wheeldeals.com/details.php?eqvehicleid=9033556&eqdealerid=150477

If you're curious you can click on the link above and check it out.

Thanks again
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "I could live w/20mpg hwy" I don't think you'll get 20 mpg highway from a Land Cruiser. My 2003 V8 4WD 4Runner gets 18 - 19.5 mpg highway at moderate speeds with the cruise control on.
  • riverstownriverstown Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 91 Land Cruiser (approx. 95,000 miles) that has recently developed an odd problem. The engine sputters and eventually stalls, increasingly so as the gas tank gets lower. Adding gas will either completely or substantially correct it (temporarily anyway), with some variation on how effective that is. The factors that seem to affect it are:

1.Worse in hot weather - I can drive down below 1/2 tank in cold weather, but it starts before 3/4 in hotter temps.

2. Worse under acceleration and or tilting - going up hill or around corners markedly increases the incidence. Just starting up and pressing the accelerator hard to rev up high won't usually make it happen.

3. Driving for a considerable length of time - on shorter trips, the problem generally doesn't happen above 1/2 or 1/3 tank in cool or moderate weather (3/4 in hot weather), and can usually be temporarily corrected by adding gas, but after 2 hours or so of running, it will recur very quickly even if I add gas, and within another hour or so, it will happen uncontrollably.

When the problem happens, the engine revs up and down, with the needle wavering, and then ultimately the engine just dies, as if it has run out of gas. Sometimes, but not always, if I try to press the accelerator harder in the midst of an occurence, there is a dull popping sound from the right-lower (?) side of the engine compartment. None of thisseems to happen at idle, even when it's at the point where it will stall when I try to accelerate.

Hmmmm...any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Two. First, I just had to replace a fuel pump and screen on my '99 Isuzu Trooper. Same exact symptoms. The fuel strainer on the pump got plugged to the point that it could no longer deliver enough fuel to the engine under load or with a low tank. Replacement of the pump and screen cured it.

Should also consider a fuel filter, which could cause similar symptoms.

Regards,
    Tom
  • worriedworried Member Posts: 2
    ndorsey

I had a similar experience. Did you find a solution to the whining problem?

Thanks,
    Worried
    Have anybody heard anything about the 4-wheel height control or AVS, on the 2006 Land Cruiser.
    I am planning on ordering a new TLC but I am not sure about this option.
    Thanks
    Lou
    Hey neighbor, are you trading in your 2003 TLC? That 4-wheel height control is a carry over from the LX470, and Lexus has been using it for a number of years. I haven't heard of any problems w/it, but you can bet it's expensive if it ever breaks! Saw 2 FJ Cruisers (blue & yellow) over @ Mike Erdman Toyota today. I'd probably get one but need a larger vehicle for my photography biz. That's the number one reason I want to move up from a 4Runner to a Land Cruiser.