Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• 2000 LC, 78k miles, Mobil1: Never under 15 MPG in city driving (except for the most grueling stop and go traffic), 18-19 MPG highway. I am pretty light footed, though. I switch between regular, mid grade and premium and see very little to no impact on mileage or performance. Still, rationalize all you want, I don't think I'll get used to $60 fill-ups when in a not so distant past it cost less than $30.
  • I am in the market for a fun A to B rig that will perform well with the occasional romp off road (not a daily commuter). I found a 1989 FJ 62 170K original miles. Only 20K since new factory Toyota engine was installed. The body is great; new paint (no signs of rust). I would gut the interior and start over again, but all in all it looks like a solid rig. I am going to test drive it today, what are some questions I should ask or things I should look for to determine if this is a good buy? Also is $8500 reasonable? Thanks
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,979
    Having owned a 1987 TLC FJ60 for 14 years and app 250,000 miles, if I may project 2 years to 1989, I would take a guess if there is no rust or accident damage that it will be good for a MINIMUM of another 15 years. The interiors can be as costly as going to junk yards to get used/replacement seats, etc, or buying kits to re upholster or even custom build to your specifications.

Granted the fuel mileage is probably not a strong selling point in todays' fuel prices scenario, but it is a very bullet proof vehicle. I would hesitate to comment on the prices (not seeing the vehicle or getting a better sense of things) but I sold mine for 9,000 dollars (and that was for a QUICK sale) in 2001!!!!! If I had marketed it better I could have gotten 10,000 to 11,000 !!

So on mine, you might want to look closely and ask about the radiator, mine gave out app the 13th year. Also when was the AC last serviced (freon). After app 12 years mine took app 1# of freon. I also had a clutch and it was almost literally bullet proof, so you might want to ask about the auto trans that comes on the 1989.

All in all in unscheduled maintenance, I had the master/slave cylinder go (400), starter and alternator (350), radiator (600). Since it was a business vehicle I took it to the dealer for the services. So if you are at all handy, these prices are inflated for the labor paid to the dealer.
  • Thank you so much. I have long admired the TLC and dreamed of owning one someday. I am excited that "someday" might be here. Thanks for your helpful insights, they will be most useful.

http://www.wheeldeals.com/details.php?eqvehicleid=9033556&eqdealerid=150477

If you're curious you can click on the link above and check it out.

Thanks again
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    "I could live w/20mpg hwy" I don't think you'll get 20 mpg highway from a Land Cruiser. My 2003 V8 4WD 4Runner gets 18 - 19.5 mpg highway at moderate speeds with the cruise control on.
  • riverstownriverstown Posts: 1
    I've got a 91 Land Cruiser (approx. 95,000 miles) that has recently developed an odd problem. The engine sputters and eventually stalls, increasingly so as the gas tank gets lower. Adding gas will either completely or substantially correct it (temporarily anyway), with some variation on how effective that is. The factors that seem to affect it are:

1.Worse in hot weather - I can drive down below 1/2 tank in cold weather, but it starts before 3/4 in hotter temps.

2. Worse under acceleration and or tilting - going up hill or around corners markedly increases the incidence. Just starting up and pressing the accelerator hard to rev up high won't usually make it happen.

3. Driving for a considerable length of time - on shorter trips, the problem generally doesn't happen above 1/2 or 1/3 tank in cool or moderate weather (3/4 in hot weather), and can usually be temporarily corrected by adding gas, but after 2 hours or so of running, it will recur very quickly even if I add gas, and within another hour or so, it will happen uncontrollably.

When the problem happens, the engine revs up and down, with the needle wavering, and then ultimately the engine just dies, as if it has run out of gas. Sometimes, but not always, if I try to press the accelerator harder in the midst of an occurence, there is a dull popping sound from the right-lower (?) side of the engine compartment. None of thisseems to happen at idle, even when it's at the point where it will stall when I try to accelerate.

Hmmmm...any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    Two. First, I just had to replace a fuel pump and screen on my '99 Isuzu Trooper. Same exact symptoms. The fuel strainer on the pump got plugged to the point that it could no longer deliver enough fuel to the engine under load or with a low tank. Replacement of the pump and screen cured it.

Should also consider a fuel filter, which could cause similar symptoms.

Regards,
    Tom
  • worriedworried Posts: 2
    ndorsey

I had a similar experience. Did you find a solution to the whining problem?

Thanks,
    Worried
  • luckylouluckylou Posts: 308
    Have anybody heard anything about the 4-wheel height control or AVS, on the 2006 Land Cruiser.
    I am planning on ordering a new TLC but I am not sure about this option.
    Thanks
    Lou
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Posts: 75
    Hey neighbor, are you trading in your 2003 TLC? That 4-wheel height control is a carry over from the LX470, and Lexus has been using it for a number of years. I haven't heard of any problems w/it, but you can bet it's expensive if it ever breaks! Saw 2 FJ Cruisers (blue & yellow) over @ Mike Erdman Toyota today. I'd probably get one but need a larger vehicle for my photography biz. That's the number one reason I want to move up from a 4Runner to a Land Cruiser.
    I was at Mike Erdman on Tuesday , had the TLC detailed . I would rather sell it than Trade-in.
    James my Email address is in my profile, lets get in touch.
    I am actually looking for a good home for the TLC. BTW what is the name of your photography business ??
    My TLC has always been treated with TLC.
    Lou

Thanks for the info.
  • cumbycumby Posts: 6
    Ive seen different things reporting that LC's require premium gas. Is this correct? If so, does anyone run regular without problems?
    I got a 2003 TLC bought brand new with 6 miles. Since day one the only gas I have used is 87 Octane better known as regular gas.
    No Problemo at all.

Lou
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    My handbook says 87 Octane.....so go with the handbook. Hell - my BMW's handbook says premium is required but I use 89 and its no problem.....no pinking or power drop-off.
    Good morning.
    Is anyone familiar with Demos, to me it means a glorified used car ???
    Any opinions ??
    Thanks.
    Lou
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,309
    Dealers sure like to price them like new cars!

A similar question was asked in a recent Letters to the Editors.

"There is a gray area when assessing the value of a "demo." It has not been registered so the dealership will want to tell you that it is a new car. However, there is wear and tear on the vehicle, as well as 6,500 miles. You have not included the year of the car. If we have it in our Used Car TMV, evaluate it accordingly. If not, evaluate the car as new, then subtract a certain amount per mile, say 15 cents. Also, deduct some money for wear and tear. Deduct these figures from the TMV new price, not from the dealer's asking price."

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Hi Steve ,
    I placed the same post in the Lexus section, which is what I am looking for, the LX470, 2006. This particular vehicle has about 2400 miles , MSRP $68500.00 appx. discount of $6000.00.
    I am uneasy about the word Demo/Used. All vehicles need a breaking period.
    This particular dealership is know for a very little flexibility in prices.
    We are doing lots of shopping around. In Florida Lexus dealers are few.
    If I were in a better health I would try to sell the two vehicles that will be trade-in instead ( 2003 Land Cruiser and 2005 Honda Odyssey ).
    I am going read Letters to the Editors.
    Thank you.
    Lou
  • antonbeckantonbeck Posts: 1
    I am looking for some recommendations for a great place to have work done on a 1974 FJ40. Can anyone make a recommendation?
    Thanks,
    Anton Beck
    Anyone bought one or seen yet?
    A neighbor four houses down the street has been driving a Black Cherry FJ off and on for the last week. I think he owns it now, and his MINI seems to be missing. Hard to be sure since we just occasionally wave in passing; his kids all drive and there's usually 6 or more cars around his house.

I'm not wild about the white roof with the Black Cherry and think it'd look a little better in a solid cherry; the light blue ones with the white roofs appeal to me more. One of the editors here prefers that color though.

There's 4 or 5 FJ discussions in the FJ board.

Steve, Host

Yes, my local dealer has two...one blue & the other yellow. I test drove the yellow FJ which had the 4WD Automatic. Really a fun vehicle to drive,and looks to be another successful Toyota. I'd wait awhile to purchase though, as my dealer had a $4000 markup from a MSRP of $30,000. I wonder how the FJ would matchup against a 2006 4Runner V8 4WD offroading? Right now, they're priced fairly evenly, and I test drove the 4Runner SE V8 4WD right after the FJ Cruiser. The 4Runner had more bang for the buck, but the FJ was more fun to drive!
    Some (one anyway) of the big box dealers are selling FJs below MSRP already, but supply is the problem.

Does this interest mean you guys are abandoning the Land Cruiser?

Steve, Host

No, I'll never abandon Land Cruiser, but just checking around for options and general interests in Toyota's line. But Steve, when the price of a LC equals approx. 2x 4Runners it makes a guy think, ya know.
    I would never abandon my Landcruiser! I will keep my FJ80 until the wheels fall off but I am thinking of buying an FJ as a replacement for one of my three other cars.
    Ok guys, just checking. :shades:

More food for thought for your second car:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. 2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

• mdsdmdsd Posts: 26
    Which gas should i use for my 2006 TLC ?

thanks everyone
  • joe116joe116 Posts: 3
    I've been using regular since day 1. no problems
  • jhandfordjhandford Posts: 1
    Is there any other modifications i have to do other than suspension lift to put 33"x12.5" tires on my 84 model cruiser troopy. Don't know much about cruisers any info would be appreciated.
    thanks Joe116...i guess i'll stick to the regular, i just bought my TLC last May 15 and already put in premium gas twice...so doggone expensive
    i bought the 2006 TLC last May 15 and it came with these options:

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Adjustable Height Control (AHC) and automatic load leveling