Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good new photos up over on Straightline this morning.
  • 3carlady3carlady Member Posts: 2
    Funny I should run across this...I also own a 2000 LC and the brakes have started to feel like the ABS activates almost every time I brake harder than usual (down hill) bur certainly not hard enough to activate the ABS.

I am bringing my car in for an oil change later this week and am going to mention it. The dealer is trying HARD to sell me a new one so I'll use that as leverage for this problem.

I'll kep you posted on their opinion!
  • jake49jake49 Member Posts: 3
    Brake problems are no fun. My 1998 is fine but wonder what the dealer will say. If you do buy the new LC what will you need for your 2000, wife needs a new ride.
  • steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    To those with the brake "shudder"--have you checked your brake pads, shims, retaining springs etc? You'd be amazed at the smallish pieces of hardware that keep these things in place. The retaining "clips" etc can be easily bent. I keep a couple as spares, for just this purpose, when I change out my brake pads--just did all 4 wheels about a month ago.

Also, how are your rotors? Heavily scored or warped?
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    It's nice to see objective data confirms what a great vehicle this is.

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/reliable/9.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And that's just the price. :D

"Toyota adds lots of muscle and high-tech features to its flagship SUV — but be prepared to shell out a lot of cash if you want one."

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Gets Goodies -- and a Big Price Hike

• pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Great to see that they have redesigned this truck. I am hopeful that they have addressed the short comings my 2006 has relative to other vehicles in the same $60K class. Starting with the little things like memory seats and auto dimming rearview mirrors...all the way up to fixing the body on frame "roll" and overall sloppy handling that has been the Land Cruiser trade mark for many years.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    2008 Toyota Land Cruiser have arrived at the Toyota website.
    New exterior colors .
    The base price of $63200.

Lou
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    There are some interesting details about the suspension modifications here.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=123006/pageNumber=1
  • jlewis102jlewis102 Member Posts: 3
    I need a pair of rear seats in tan, do you still have, or does anyone else have a pair for sale?
  • runskirunski Member Posts: 4
    Just in case. I have a GREY rear seats, never been used, in storage. Bought my LC July, 2006 brand new.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    Well its finally happened at 123,000 - my exhaust is blowing. Whats amazing isthat only three months ago it passed the Emissions Test. So maybe the converter and sensors are OK?

But now comes the pain of replacing both the mufflers etc etc. The manifold is OK apparently.

Advice?

Is the Borla Exhaust System worth getting? :sick:
  • bryan8966bryan8966 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2000 TLC that just turned 100,00 miles. The other day while driving I lost power and heard a horrible noise from underneath the vehicle. I put it Park, it sounded fine, but when I went to try to put it in Drive there was a loud grinding screeching noise. I Called Toyota and had it towed in. Dealership called and said the back axle broke loose and shoved back into Wheel Hub and the transfer case. $5,000 bill to fix. I am very disappointed as my LC has been babied(no off roading) and all service done. I certainly didn't expect kind of breakdown from a LC. Anyone heard of this happening before and if so how did Toyota handle? Warranty or did you have to pay out of pocket. The dealer is talking with Toyota to see if they will cover(not too hopeful on this). I have been very happy with my LC and had not problems until now.
    Thanks for your input....
    Are you the first owner? Do you have all service records etc. Be polite but persistent with the dealer. Seek inputs from the area tech rep if needed. My hunch is Toyota will help you with some of this, due to this being a problem with a "core" component.

I hope they do and that you will post your results here for us to see.
  • wns8810wns8810 Member Posts: 1
    I have an intermittent (significant) vibration coming from the rear of my 1994 TLC (original owner, 235k miles). Occurs every 50 or so miles, most often at highway speed under light, if any, acceleration - difficult to replicate when called upon! I have had the tires balanced, rotors checked, etc. Any suggestions?
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    One possibility is that the one or more universal joints are worn out, especially if they are the originals. Do you also sometimes hear an intermittent clicking sound at very low speeds, particularly in reverse? In any event, best to have those checked ASAP.
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    Any advice on replacement tires for an '03 with 18" wheels? Bridgestone Dueler H/T, michelin pilot each get average reviews for the snow and I live in CT where we do get some winter weather.
  • phuthumaphuthuma Member Posts: 12
    I need a new CDROM/disc to update my nav system...is a dealer the only choice? Way too $$$ last time I checked
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I live in CT and I am replacing my Duelers with the Nokian WR - "Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations". There is NO other choice and I have the equivalent on all my cars.
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    Well, my 2001 LC with 65,000 miles that has been cared for extremely well went through its tranny back in the summer. The tech's at my Toy dealership said they have never seen this before in a LC. Especially one with so few miles. My saving grace was that I had about 1 month left on my extended warranty. The bill came to something around $4K I think..Whew !! Then, 3 weeks after my warranty expired my NAV system went out...I'm a longtime LC owner and am extremely disapointed that these things have gone bad on my vehicle. Oh, the price for fixing (replacing) the Nav reader is something like $1,700.00, I haven't had it fixed yet. I was looking at a new '08 but I'm not too sure at this point. :cry:
  • twisterchasertwisterchaser Member Posts: 26
    Try ebay. I bought and update disc there hoping that was what was wrong on my 2001's Nav system. It wasn't. Bummer for me. Now I have 2 discs but nothing to use them on !! :cry:
  • rainbowfarmrainbowfarm Member Posts: 59
    Hello. I joined this forum because I just bought a 1987 HJ60 with the 6 inline diesel engine (4.0 litre here in Canada), 24-volt system with some 12-volt bits. I am the 2nd owner. It was rust-proofed at birth and since. I had it up on the hoist for 2 hours prior to purchase.

I am looking for forums/fans of older Land Cruisers. I have some questions that are being answered one at a time. I figure fan forums are the best place to hang out.

Are there other good forums for LCs, especially the older ones?

On wikipedia.org, I read that the 70 model (probably not sold in the US) had an optional 2nd fuel tank (90 litres, or 23.8 gallons). My HJ60 (most likely sold in the US as FJ60) has the 90-litre tank, and until I get it back up on a hoist, I wonder if anyone knows whether the 2nd tank was an option (if so, the space to mount it will be available, making it easier). I want a 2nd tank with vegetable oil in it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are there other good forums for LCs, especially the older ones?

Yes, there are but we don't see the point in making other forums a topic of discussion here. There are lots of friendly folks right here who'd love discuss the older LCs with you. I recommend the 1st Generation Toyota 4Runners (84-89) discussion for starters.

And welcome aboard! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks, Tidester. I am sure the 4Runner forum would be a great place to talk about my Land Cruiser.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    the 4Runner forum would be a great place to talk about my Land Cruiser …

Well, why not? It's a great group and they love to discuss just about anything! :)

Seriously, I apologize for the error. I clicked a little too hastily on my list and didn't double check. In any case, just say the word and we'll be happy to set up a discussion of old Land Cruisers.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Actually, this is probably a better link than the 4Runner link. Two different vehicles all together. Separate discussions for the 60 series.

http://www.ih8mud.com/

HTH
    Thanks, SteelCruiser, mud is where I ended up, just did not want to say it too loud.

Great Cruiser resources for sure!
    I've posted that link before and the mods were OK with it. Another resource to try is Spector Off Road. Marv Spector is Mr. Landcruiser and if you're ever in the southern California area, you owe it to yourself to visit his place. It's a Cruiser head's nirvana!
  • oralandooralando Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I hope somebody can help me. I have been looking for a supercharger for a land cruiser 1997, L6, 4.5L without any luck if anybody in this forum can help me locate one i will be very, very thaknfully for any clue on where to get it. thank you.
    Check with Slee Off Road or Man-A-Fre. Though you say super charger, do you mean turbo charger? I know that both of the mentioned vendors did have turbos, but I'm not sure about super chargers.

HTH
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Every once in a while I get antsy for something different and check out the Land Rover and TLC Boards. Afterall, I'm a buy and hold kind of guy and am a sucker for the idea of buying something iconic that will last. For example, I buy Brooks Bros shirts and when the collars fray I simply have them flipped, my 1987 F150 Supercab and 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer get detailed twice a year, run Mobil1 and 21 years later still get used every weekend, etc. etc.

Try though as hard as I do to understand it, the TLC thing just puzzles me. Two recent posts talked about rear axle and transmission failure in non-off roaded vehicles with 100,000 miles or less on them. Guys, IMHO the TLC is simply an image thing developed years ago when the TLC were fairly inexpensive, used in Africa not Rodeao Drive, and the interior could be hosed out. The current versions have little in common with those legacy vehicles. The current ones are heavy, expensive, laden with electrical components and ill-suited for the cut 'n thrust of US driving, circa 2008. For those that want to buy a TLC and hold it for 12 years, for what a new TLC costs, you could buy a new Tahoe every 4 years for less money. You say that a Tahoe doesn't have enough panache for you, doctor? OK, consider this. A new Porsche Cayenne V6 is 45K with very good resale, better handling, equally good off road, etc. And you have 20K left over to buy an emerging market bond fund (they have returned 10% a year on average for the last five years, sports fans.)!

OK, what then about the idea of buying a used TLC?? This may be even a worse idea. The TLC depreciation is so slow that 30K doesn't even get you one still in Toyota warranty and the wear parts are very expensive. Someone a year or so posted that a starter was $700 or so and required removing the exhaust manifold. Hello?? Whats wrong with this picture?

Please don't get me going on the whole LR thing. That is even worse than the TLC (e.g, the Disco's engine until recently was a warmed over 1961 Buick Skylark V8, the auto transmission doesn't have a dipstick to check fluid levels and to change the fluid requires prying the frame rails apart with a porta-power).
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    1) A Cayenne is far smaller than a TLC.

2) "For those that want to buy a TLC and hold it for 12 years, for what a new TLC costs, you could buy a new Tahoe every 4 years for less money."

Completely untrue. You can easily option a Tahoe up over $50,000 and it will depreciate far faster than a TLC.

There are certainly things that I don't like about the TLC, but your arguments are entirely specious.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I love the TLC/470's. I would be ecstatic to be able to own one! But you are right about the loss of real value over the years. Your Tahoe comparison is not quite accurate once you equip them close to comparably, but the economic decision you note still favors the Tahoe - which I do not like. By the way - I also flip my collars! I drove my 2003 Volvo until it was totaled in a rear ender (It had 200k and is still in service, but unsightly, somewhere!) These days I walk, or take the transit.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    "...your arguments are entirely specious."

OK, lets see. A nicely equipped Tahoe, not one maxxed out with hip-hop type wheels and nonsensical add-ons, with leather and some decent options can be purchased all day long at dealer invoice LESS whatever the General decides the rebate is going to be that month. Say, a drive-away price of somewhere in the mid-30's once the dust clears.

A new TLC has an MSRP of 71K (see the piece in the current issue of Automobile that the mailman delivered today). There are minimal discounts on the TLC despite the fact that for 71K you don't even get a heated steering wheel (the 45K Cayenne does, incidentally), so figure that you have a drive away cost of 68K. Certainly no less.

Now, lets do the math: the new Tahoe costs 35K. Four years later, you trade it in for a new one and get at least 40% of the MSRP of 45K which is 18K on your trade. You throw down another 18K and drive home with a new Tahoe. Eight years after your first Tahoe purchase you do it again. At the end of 12 years, you have spent a total of 71K and have a four year Tahoe worth 18K. Sell the Tahoe and you will have a final cost of 53K. Seventy-five percent of your driving will have been done under the manufacturer's warranty. All of your driving would have been done in a vehicle with current technology and with under 60K on the odometer.

Twelve years after buying your TLC you will have a 12 year old TLC with perhaps 170K on the odometer. It will be 9 years out of warranty. Certainly, no one is going to give you much money for it. To cut your losses, your best bet might be to hang a plow on it to snow plow your weekend home's driveway. But wait, you can't mount a conventional plow on a TLC without a lot of custom fabrication. See, no one uses a TLC for anything practical anymore!
  • tglctglc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 TLC which I bought in 03. I noticed that when it was wet outside and after just starting up it hesitated on acceleration. It has gotten progressively worse over the years and now does it fairly regularly especially when I use 10% ethanol gas. A mechanic thought it was the o2 sensor so I had it replaced, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Has anyone else run into this problem and what did you do? Thanks!
    Have you cleaned the throttle body?
  • tglctglc Member Posts: 2
    I admit that I have not, but I do not know what it is. Can you give me a reference to where I can find out more info on taking care of it? Thank you!
    You might search the archives of this Yahoo group. It's for the 80 series LCs and is populated with both US and Oz members. Lots of useful info and tips posted there.

It's an easy DIY, however, I don't have any pic links to post for you

HTH

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone purchased a new Land Cruiser yet? I've only seen one posting on the Lexus LX 570 site where one had been purchased but none on the LC site.
    We bought the Sequoia Platinum but really liked the Lexus if only it and the LC had useable third row seating.
    Anyway, we still think both the LC and 570 are great SUV's but a little too expensive as opposed to the Sequoia and were wondering if they were selling very many of them or offering incentives on them.
    One thing, the fewer they sell the greater the exclusivity appeal would be.
    Just wondering.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Has anyone purchased a new Land Cruiser yet?

I guess no1 is here

I am very sure if they offered the v6 in the US it would definitely sell better.

In other countries there are many kind of cruisers.

the beginning is

G standard v 6

GX some options v6

GX.R options v6 or v8 to choose.

VX.R full option v8. also v6 maybe.

then the US VX.R which is not sold in many countries I guess. because the power is 5.7 as for other countries 4.7 for the v8 and 4.0 for the v6.

You can search in google for more info.
  • jpbledsoejpbledsoe Member Posts: 20
    I need a safer vehicle for my wife to shuttle kids to school. I like Toyotas for their relilability and resale. I have an 85 pickup (odo=197k) and a 98 Avalon (odo=100k). I like to keep vehicles for the long haul and I commute to work, thus the low mileage on my pickup. (I've recently started visiting a local salvage yard to minimize costs for some parts on the truck.) I'm an engineer and I take it as a challenge to troubleshoot problems.

I'm shopping for a ~ 97 TLC because (correct me if I'm wrong) it's the newest model with the I6 engine. I like the inline engines because I'd expect it's easier to maintain than a V6 or V8. For the 97 TLC I'm seeing prices in the $9,000 range for some 97 TLCs with between 130,000 and 150,000 miles. Some of them are being sold by Toyota dealers. One individual owner wants $15k for a 97 TLC and it's probably in super-mint condition.

Some questions about the 97 TLC for those who own a 97 or one of a similar vintage:

Is the gas tank located somewhere in the middle like a pickup, i.e., not right in front of the rear bumper like my Avalon's tank?

What might I expect, maintenance wise, between 150 and 200 k miles?

I've read that the gas mileage runs about 13 to 17 (city to highway). Any ways of improving those numbers by adding performance parts?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Bledsoe
    Weatherford TX
  • builtfromtanksbuiltfromtanks Member Posts: 2
    First of all, Thanks to all who are on here. I have gleaned alot of useful info here. I hope this is the correct venue to ask opinions on the purchase I made recently. I got a 96 Land Cruiser with 63 k miles on it. Purchase price, $10,700. Did I pay a fair price? One owner, looks like it has been garage kept. I have been trying to find out the maintenance and repair records, but since I got it at a dealer, that is still in progress. My biggest concern after reading a few thousand posts is what is the best way to deal with the potential leaking head gasket problem and the front wheel seal issue. Also, where is IdahoDoug at, I really learned alot from his posts. Sorry for the longwindedness, I will keep it shorter in the future. Thanks, dg in pa.
    I've been looking at prices for a 96/97 TLC and I think your deal is a good one...10.7k$ is the higher end of what I've seen for 97 models with 140k miles. For example, I was looking at a 97 with 147k miles for about 9k$. I haven't seen any 96 or 97 models with such low mileage as your deal.

I hadn't heard of the head gasket and wheel seal problems. Is the wheel seal problem related to it being 4-wheel drive or is this a standard type of wheel seal ?

Jeff
  • builtfromtanksbuiltfromtanks Member Posts: 2
    If you look back through the posts, there are various ones relating to the seals in the front wheels, somewhere in the region of the steering knuckle if I remember correctly. There was a very good explanation about the proper way to deal with them by IdahoDoug a few years back in the forum. I think that a factory manual or a good shop manual will explain it better. I also remember several posts talking about the importance of maintaining the Birfield joints properly. They are also in the front axle on those years. I think I lucked into a cream puff. It is very clean and drives with no rattles at all. The owner was literally an old lady whose husband kept after the upkeep until his illness a year or so ago. But I have still not been able to track down the repair bills back further than a year and a half ago, so I may be fooling myself. I have learned on this forum the importance of looking for a vehicle with a trackable service record. But since this vehicle will be a 2nd and even 3rd vehicle, I am not as worried as I would be if it were my only ride.
    As for the head gasket problems, I have only seen that listed here in a couple of posts. Others have said that the 4.5l inline 6 motor is well built but certainly no speed demon. It sounds a little anemic when you give it the gas but it moves the vehicle along good enough for me. If I had the money, I think the v-8 is more desirable, but my budget wouldn't allow it. Best of luck in your search, I don't think you will be disappointed whichever cruiser you get. Dg in pa.
  • grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
    Jeff,

THat price might be high now. My dad is upgrading his 97 LX450/landcruiser to a 05. If you would like to see some pictures let me know. His has 123k miles.
  • caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    This morning, my 2000 LC stop moving, transmission dead (only have 95000 mile). I noticed other have transmission problem with 2000 model year. I am in Edison, NJ, any suggestion, input are welcome.
    Thanks
    I'd ask around for a reputable Toyota repair shop. Go to a dealer as a last resort.

There are Yahoo! groups where they discuss problems with Toyotas. I used to log on to one of them when I was having trouble with my Avalon strut plates. I'm sure there are Toyota groups at Google and other places.

It's probably something simple and not really a total transmission failure. Did you buy this LC new?

Jeff
  • caidwcaidw Member Posts: 18
    I bought certified used from Toyota dealer in 2002 with 30 k mile on it. I found another forum (ih8mud site) quite a few 2000 landcruiser / lx 470 have transmission failure due to quality problem.

Do AAMCO or Transmissionciti do a good job to repair transmission? There are a lot of negative reports about both companies.

Toyota Dealer is going to charge about $4000 to replace it.
    I'll ask my two favorite Toyota repair shops (Import Masters in Weatherford TX and Excel Auto in Fort Worth TX) for a ballpark idea of what they would charge for a transmission replacement (new and remanufactured options). I'll also ask what they know about chronic transmission failures in 2000 LC.

As far as the possibility of repair, a good independent garage would have one or more transmission shops that they trust with their business. I still recommend going to a trusted independent Toyota shop who will then advise you how he'll approach the repair. His trusted shop might be able to diagnose the transmission problem without even removing it from the vehicle.

Jeff