Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, if you go to SUVs Archived Discussions and scroll to Toyota Land Cruiser, for example, you will find posts older than October 1, '00. Please email me if this doesn't help you figure out how to find what you're looking for.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jianminjianmin Member Posts: 9
    We are buying a 94 TLC with 78000 miles. The dealer offered a extended warranty of 36-month or 48K miles for $1500 with $100 deductable.

Is this a good deal? We feel a little un-comfortable on that $100 deductable. Any comments or suggestion is appreciated.

J.C.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    This is truly a 6 of one, half doz of another question. I have a 87 TLC with 245k miles and have app 2k worth of "unscheduled" maintenance.

The problem is that the 87 is a different animal.

On the other hand I have app 90k on a 94 TLC with NO unscheduled maintenance. I also have indications that nothing is pressing.

Even the battery on the 87TLC went 10 yrs.

On a 91 TLC the original batt is still in use.

So if you think the truck has been ridden hard and put away wet, then do it. If it appears to have reasonable care, the money might be more reasonably spent in the next repair which most likely be a starter, alternator, or some AC recharging. Don't forget that the 1500 bucks will cost 100 bucks (x3) or 1800. See how much those POTENTIAL repairs might cost and compare. Another thing which may not mean anything to you but the 94TLC has the Toyota's BUS transmission.

So in the case of the 87 TLC I have spent 200 bucks more.
  • lc2000lc2000 Member Posts: 33
    Steve: Thanks, but it didn't help. Guess I'm getting old and stupid, but things seemed to go much better on this site before the recent changes. And how do I go about E-mailing you? Other than "Contact" (which no one responds to) I can't find your E-mail address on this site.
  • jianminjianmin Member Posts: 9
    The $100 deductable actually is not per year, it is per visit. The truck has passed the inspection and in a very good condition. I guess we can skip this one and save the money for the scheduled maintenance work. Appreciate your input.

J.C.
    There should be an email address in my profile, which you can access by clicking on my name (steve_ HOST) at top of this post or at the top of the Message Board where the discussions are listed. You can view any member's profile this way.

Steve
    Host
  • drpimper212drpimper212 Member Posts: 8
    I also have a 94 I bought w/89000 miles. I bought an extended warranty for $1314 w/ a $50 deductible. Due to the mileage I could only get it for 2 years. I've already had to replace the starter which would have cost me $400. I need to bring it in now to have the front axle seals replaced as they are leaking (covered under warranty) I heard this is very expensive; probably worth the cost of the warranty alone. If you do decide to purchase a warranty, be sure to check what is covered-not every thing is. Try to find one that has "seals and gaskets" coverage and "high tech electronics" coverage, that way oil leaks and fuel injection equip. will be covered. Like me, when you get 90000 miles you may need to change your front axle seals as well. Check around for prices v/s coverage(more expensive may be better). I bought mine through a company called American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc ph.#(800) 962 4720
  • hudson6hudson6 Member Posts: 17
    I recently wrestled with the same dilemma. Mine is a recently purchased 95 with 91,000 mi. The warranties are similar in cost, the one I was considering had a 30 day cancellation period. I used the full 30 days to consider but after monitoring my rig closely determined it was not necessary. (maybe an option for you, maybe not)
    As a former Windstar owner, it is fairly obvious why peace of mind was important to me. see "Vans: Windstar problems" in the town hall
    I recommend you do what I did, read all the messages to include those archived refering to the LC's. With the exception of a few Land Rover owners posing as disgruntled LC owners I think you will be impressed with what you find, there seemed to be no recurrent problems.
    My final thought is that if the warranty company didn't think they were going to make money off you, they wouldn't offer it.
  • hudson6hudson6 Member Posts: 17
    After reading post 661, I think another consideration is whether you are going to do your own work. In the case of axle seals labor will take up the majority of the bill. I don't even know what shops charge per hour. My own experience was the 90k service that a dealer wanted to charge $850 that I did for under $200.
  • chainsaw4130chainsaw4130 Member Posts: 7
    At what temperature does cold air blow out of the vents. I have to have the temp. set to 65 and anything higher than that blows hot air. Is this how it should be?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    It depends on the ambient temperature. If it is cold inside the vehicle, the climate control system will pump hot air until the selected temperature is achieved. You'll see the reverse effect in the summer.
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    annoying on my 98 4Runner, is present in cold weather...very irritating. So, this is going to happen to a 01 Land Cruiser that I'm probably going to get....great.
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    Never heard it on my 98 LC. Have been in sub-zero temps a couple of times and even after cold starts, do not remember any ticking. Is this one of those things you can only hear if you get out of the truck and open the hood?

HiC
  • joeeblow1joeeblow1 Member Posts: 238
    I think extended warranties are a waste of money, but others feel more comfortable with them. I would pass on a $100 deductible. It's highly unlikely you will need an extended warranty on that rig, but I also will not pay you money if yours craps out on you.
    Replacing the starter was more than likely unnecessary. You can brush up the contacts or replace the contacts for less than $20. Starters almost never crap out. The contacts wear, and they are easily replaced.

Axle seals are a maintenance item as it's a fulltime 4wd rig. It is expensive if you pay someone to do it, but it's not a difficult repair. A few basic tools, grease, and shop towels (and a Haynes manual), and you can save about $1000.

If you are not interested in working on your rig, it might be worth your while for a warranty.
    If it's only a cold weather problem, simply install a block heater.
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    clear when sitting in the vehicle, other than that ticking sound- the truck has been "extremely" reliable.
  • nikibluenikiblue Member Posts: 5
    Well, I'm finally fed up with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited V8. $40,000 piece of junk. I purchased that truck thinking I would keep it for 10 or more years, but it seems the truck is in the shop at least once a month.
    Anyway, I'm now considering purchasing a new 2001 Land cruiser. I test drove it. Although I hate my JGC, I love it's power. The LC does not seem to offer that initial boost of power. The reliability seems to be "bullet proof" according to consumer report and all other town hall folks. So are everybody happy with the new LC's power?. Are there really going to be an upgrade of engines for the new 2002? I can't find any info. in re: 2002 upgrades?
    Thank to all for very helpful information.
    How cold is it when you hear these noises? I've had my 2000 in some pretty cold weather, albeit not below freezing, and have never encountered the problem. Also, the information you got from the Toyota rep is sorta strange. Most engines will, in extremely cold weather, be slightly louder at startup.
    I've had mine below freezing on several occaisions (including two Winter trips to Wyoming).

No ticks, no slaps.

Also, I checked Alldata. No TSB's for 1998-2000 for ANY engine complaints.

I think this may be a BS troll story.

HiC
  • gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    This is my second LX 470 and have has no slap or ticking with either one. I live in Colorado so have lots of cold starts. I would check with another Toyota rep.
  • drpimper212drpimper212 Member Posts: 8
    My starter actually did need replacing, it shorted out. My truck's starter ran all the time; I had to disconnect the battery. Normally this and other maintaince I do myself. Being that I bought the vehicle used, I wanted the warranty for the engine, trans etc. I also find that electronics such as fuel injection sensors go out @ around my mileage. Electronics is not something I can trouble-shoot. The starter and axle seals are covered also, so what the hell.
    Land Rover Offers Return Policy

Steve
    Host
    Well, today, March 16, 2001, after six months of trying to get a Toyota mifwick to check my 2000 LC, they finally did. After a five minute drive (maybe less)the young Toyota rep made the following astute observation: "Duh, it's truck after all, you gotta expect a little vibration." What I in fact expected, was the answer he gave me.

While very polite (lots of smiles and hand shaking)the Toyota rep admitted upon questioning that he wasn't a mechanic, wasn't a technical expert of any kind, and knew virtually nothing about the throddle assembly of any vehicle, let alone a Land Cruiser. However, he did suggest that if I wanted to spend a $100K for a top line Mercedes, I could probably get one without a gas pedal vibration.

I gave him a stack of messages from this board (all pertaining to gas pedal and H/L shifter vibration)and asked him to show them to someone who cared--hopefully at Toyota :-)

Bottom line. Guess I'll just have to live with the tickle in my right foot. Thank goodness it goes away when the vehicle hits 40 mph. After a dozen calls, two inspections, and a surpurb line of BS from Toyota, I'm throwing in the towel. But don't get me wrong folks, I still love my LC.
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    The person posted that same message on the Sequoia board and withdrew it shortly thereafter, claiming Toyota had resolved the problem with him and he was now the happiest of campers. Several people asked what the resolution was, but there's been no response. I suspect the whole thing was phony to begin with (corporate reps., not just from Toyota, but from any big company, do not admit to problems to strangers over the phone), but that's JMO.
  • jtt4jtt4 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up new '01 LC. Love it, but hate radio. The bass is totally out of proportion and distorts whatever music I play. Has anyone else had this problem ? If so, how was it corrected ?
    Thanks.
  • edsel4uedsel4u Member Posts: 39
    Is there any purpose to the plastic "vanity" cover on the TLC engine. Is it safe to operate the vehicle without it?

I hate like heck not being able to see any potential problems developing. I know most car manufacturers cover their engines but I am clueless as to the reasons.

To: Jtt4 - I think JBL is replacing the defective units. Check with you Toyota Dealer, they should have a technical bulletin by now. Also check this forums archives. This was a big topic about 2-3 weeks ago. Congrats on the 2001 TLC btw!
  • kruiserjoneskruiserjones Member Posts: 2
    Purchased 98 LC w/40K miles 4 months ago. "Toyota Certified" and 6yr/100K warranty. There are what appears to be some kind of sensors (heat?) spliced into upper and lower radiator hoses, one in plastic air intake - between filter and engine, and another tapped into the rear differential! I never noticed these until the guy (Toyota)doing oil change pointed them out. He noticed coolant seepage from clamps on radiator hose and came looking for me to ask what I was monitoring. Imagine my dumbstruck look!

I went over to the 'pre-owned' department to discuss with my salesman - who was out. He called me later and suggested I bring it back to service department and see what could be done under the warranty and said their department would cover whatever the warranty wouldn't.

Before going back, I have several questions:

Any clues as to what these are and why someone would have had them on a leased vehicle?

Should their presence have been detected, and disclosed, as a result of Toyo's "certification"? If yes, what's the recourse?

Do dealers have a service history database? Can I see what they have on this vehicle?

If these sensors indicate some heavy duty, or mis-use of the vehicle - like regular towing of some extra heavy load, or supercharging, would the engine life probably be shortened?

If yes, should I ask for my money back? HA!

I've owned 3 Toyotas - 4Runner, Van, Pickup - and gotten 260,000, 180,000, and 300,000 miles, respectively, of mostly trouble-free miles before selling them - in good condition! I anticipated keeping the Land Cruiser ten years and getting similar mileage.

I'm just trying to understand what went on in order to properly evaluate what should be done. I know, I know. These are the questions I should have asked on the front end. The "Toyota Certified" really brought my guard down.

What would y'all do?????
  • nota4renota4re Member Posts: 54
    Well, if in fact there are aftermarket sensors in the areas you describe, my wild guess is that maybe you got a TLC test mule from Toyota. If someone was stress testing towing/load capabilities, it would be interesting to monitor temperatures up at the radiator as well as rear-diff temps to see how they reacted to towed loads. Now that's just a wild-[non-permissible content removed] guess.
  • crawindecrawinde Member Posts: 5
    Most dealers in Southern CA will not order a 2001 Landcruiser without a 3rd seat package. All other vehicles I have purchased were done via special order so that I could purchase something that suited my needs. The dealer position is that I could cancel my order therebye leaving the dealer with a vehicle that doesn't have a 3rd seat. Does anyone know of any dealer that caters to the customer rather than to their own interests and at a reasonable price? I guess the dealers don't think I am serious about a purchase. That of course is their misjudgement. Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • lpc68lpc68 Member Posts: 45
    the heat shield under the drivers seat is really starting to bug me with its constant rattling. It used to be only when i started and stopped the truck but now its pretty much constant.

could anyone tell me if removing the heat shield would cause any problems?
  • classicalgasclassicalgas Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what the landcruiser optional equipment codes MK10 and XG30 stand for?
  • drumbolddrumbold Member Posts: 22
    I currently have a 2001 TLC being built for me without the rear seat for under $50,000 through Beck Toyota just outside of Indianapolis, Indiana. Their Internet sales is handled by Tony Morgan who can be reached at becktoyota@earthlink.com or at (800) 541-7635. They are very nice and easy people to deal with. If you occasionally get this way, it may be worth looking in to.
  • h3ybfpfh3ybfpf Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone recommend a good bike rack for 2000 LC with rear tow hitch that could be used for transporting 2+ adult bikes? I would appreciate information on brand, prices, ease of installation/use and information on how to order one.

Thanks in advance.
  • kruiserjoneskruiserjones Member Posts: 2
    Performance Bicycle at http://www.performancebike.com/. Get hitch mount model. Order online.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Make sure you are not cutting off your nose to spite your face on this third seat issue. The seats are easy to remove if you don't want them and you get the rear AC along with it (Desert heat is a lot easier to handle with the dual AC). If you ever sell it, you'll have a very hard time because customers just expect the seat and the AC to be there. Resale would cost you everything you saved up front.

The other thing to consider is pricing. If a dealership is willing to order out of Japan, you are asking them to tie up their allocation for 3 to 6 months. Your salesman may not even work there when it arrives so he looses his commission. They run the risk that you will back out and they will have a nearly unsellable unit on the lot. To compensate for these costs and risks, they will generally ask for a higher profit than a more typical unit. You may find that you can get nearly the same price for one with a third seat at a motivated dealership.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I don't think the dealers would want to risk having a car without the third seat in stock. I don't think you'd do bad price-wise in your area anyway. If you check with dianne4toyota she'll probably tell you the same thing, and I know she sells a lot of LC's.
  • dianne4toyotadianne4toyota Member Posts: 343
    The problem with building this rig w/o the third seat or rear air package is very very clear: it's unpopular for a 55,000-60,000 car to have no 3rd rear seat and rear air. In CA, there is no keeping anyone's deposit, even if they change their mind, if the buyer's stake in the stock market crashed, or if the buyer's house went up in flames... the dealership cannot keep a cent of their deposit money to deflect the cost of keeping the beast til someone else lucked along to buy it. There's too much risk to have one out there somewhere for 4-5 months in advance. Perhaps checking with a local dealer as to how cheap they will sell a normal stock one for, never use the rear a/c and remove the seats for the next buyer would be a better investment. I know personally I'd sell a "Normal" BG CF C7 for less than I'd want to risk being on the other end of a very unpopular $55,000. car in a few months.

This isn't about catering to the customer's needs. This is all about taking a risk. A HUGE one. I sure hope you locate someone who doesn't mind the risk, because I like my job, and I don't want to risk it, or risk the very gracious ability I have here to build order cars in many other ways for others -- cars that are far better risk/option to build, which are 99% of my orders. You have to absolutely understand that, as it's business and nothing personal. Financially, the lease banks will deduct 5% of MSRP value if a LC doesn't have a third rear seat/rear air, meaning if you do not take it, 80% of the buyers out there will have to pay MORE for less car.

Not meaning to offend, but to instead explain why. An unusual built Highlander, no problem... an unusual Sequoia, I build them all the time, LOL! They go rapidly anyway. Camrys, Ravs... they are all going to go sooner or later. Landcruiser owners/buyers are different.

My advice is to nab a normal new car special...... save the seats for a rainly day or a saving grace for the resale value.

Dianne
  • sch2sch2 Member Posts: 8
    I am currently on my third LC. I have never had any need for the third seats. Nevertheless, all three of my LC's have had the package. As everyone has mentioned, for resale you need to have them.

The seats are very easy to remove and with the 98+ LC's there is nothing left in the cargo area except the seat belts which are easy to keep out of the way. I simply put the seats in plastic and store them until it is time to sell the vehicle.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Bike racks:

Whatever you get, make sure it is a swing-away type that allows you to open the rear drop gate when in use. OSI makes one and I am sure there are others. http://www.performanceproducts.com sells them.

A word of caution though: high speed driving on dirt or gravel roads with anything in the hitch will cause rocks to ricochet off the rack(or whatever else you're trailing) back into the rear of the car. Some costly paint work may be in your future.

HiC
  • jester42jester42 Member Posts: 1
    Another great source is rei.com.

They have a large selection from a variety of vendors. I am using the Yakima TerraFirma 4 Bike Hitch and have been very pleased with it.

Jester42
    Like a leather coat, leather seats need to breath. The first thing most leather coat makers tell you is don't store the coat in plastic. Not sure why, but I suspect that over an extended period of time, the leather becomes stiff with a tenancy to crack. Just a thought.
  • mapconsultantmapconsultant Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone measured how much fuel remains when the low fuel warning light first comes on? The fuel capacity in the 100 series is 25.4 gals. I wonder how far you can push this after the light tries to scare you into the next gas station?
  • ptownptown Member Posts: 9
    From what I can tell from my '97 80 series, there's at least 4 or 5 gallons still in the tank when the light goes on. I pushed it once and went another 40+ miles before I wussed out and pulled in to the station to quench the beast, and I still only got about 23 gallons in. Whether all LCs perform the same, though, I do not know...
  • macsfriendedmacsfriended Member Posts: 6
    Gentlemen,
    I am aiming at buying a '01 Toyata Tundra V-8 which is the same engine you TLC owners have been living with.
    I have perused your postings hoping to get some feel for the subject engine's "ease to live with" points over several years of operations.

Are you swearing by it or at it???

Haven't seen hardly any comments about that V-8 engine. Does no postings mean no problems???
    Any feedback about that powerplant (good or bad) would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed
  • dwrichadwricha Member Posts: 24
    During a visit to my barber one Saturday, I happened to park my 97 TLC right next to another 97 40th Anniversary TLC. The only thing I noticed was how much more after market parts this rig was equipped with (chrome wheels, bush bars, etc.)than mine. Mine don't look bad at all, but not as "equipped" as this was. Another barber was outside talking with someone when I arrived. I greeted them and went in to wait my turn. When the other barber came in he said that he looked at both and noticed that the 40th was noticeably bigger than mine. I told him I thought that they were the same, but I wasn't sure about it, so, I thought that I'd ask someone here. Is there really a difference in size with these 2 vehicles?
    mapconsultant:

Once went 75 miles after the warning light came on (all freeway). took 24.5 gallons at the pump that time. That's as far as I dare to go. Translated to just about 5 gallons in reserve when the light first went on.

macsfriended: I have a 98 that I purchased within two months of the V-8 being introduced. Engine has been flawless. More power than I expected, better climbing (laden or unladen), never burned any oil (5 qts of synthetic goes in and 4000 miles later 5 qts of syntethic drain out) and has never had the slightest hiccup in temps ranging from 115 degree Mojave desert heat to -20 degree Wyoming winters.

I've also been on this board from almost the beginning and cannot recall any engine specific complaints. Wind noise, lousy stereo, vibrating gas pedal, rattles here & there and two front diffs failing have been about it.

HiC
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    Woooooow......

I am surprised you are still driven it. TLC Holds 7.2 QTS of oil.. : )

MG
    So shoot me.

HiC