Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Nissan Titan preview

razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
edited March 2014 in Nissan
It looks like not much has changed. What did they do just add wood paneling, guess to upgrade just buy the wood dash kit from Ebay. Personally, I like the 2007 Toyota Tundra better, looks like a better all-around product. Tundra has a better brake system; the rotors are bigger and designed for a large truck so you won't keep getting those warped rotors and worn brake pads like on Nissan Titan. Also, the hauling power is better, with the 5.7L engine your hauling 10,500. And the control are driver oriented for better viewing. My guess is Nissan will lose market share to Toyota, especially if Nissan can't get the customer service issues straightened out.

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    FYI the 08 is not depicted above correctly. The rotor problem was fixed in late 05. And the Titan is way bigger than the Tundra. This also isn't a comparo to the Tundra board please see "Titan v. Tundra" discussion for that.

-mike
  • razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    FYI. Thats actually not correct the 2008 Titan is .8 inch bigger in front head room, and .2 inch bigger in rear head room, however the 2007 Tundra is bigger in front shoulder (+.5 in), rear shoulder (+.8 in) , front hip (+1.9 in), rear hip (+1.9 in), front leg (+.9 in), and rear leg room (1.7 in). And in the exterior the 2007 Tundra is larger on all aspects. Despite the larger interior room the Tundra also gets 2 MPG more than Titan, and 1400 lbs towing capacity. Please post the correct information, if your going to try to make a remark or create a board 'false statements' and post there.
    Have you actually sat in one? I could care less about the "numbers" I'm talking about the feel you get when you are in it. I sat in both and drove both and the Tundra still feels much smaller.

-mike
    Do you measure that feeling in the english or metric system? Also just wondereing if you got to experience the feeling of being stranded in the middle of nowhere, outside cell phone coverage, when the Body Control Module system in the 2004 Nissan Titan fails for the second time, as Nissan blew you off; 'unable to replicate fault.', and then your are unable to operate the vehicle, hiking for so distance to find a ride. Or the feeling of paying $800 out of pocket to get your brakes (rotors and brake pads) repaired for the fourth time because Nissan refused to perform warranty work at 30 months 24000 miles, and released a vehicle without a functional braking system and came out with no creditable solution.
    Nope, my Armada has never stranded me, and Nissan has been aces on repairing my First Model Year brakes with larger ones. I tow for 90% of my driving with a 6,000lb trailer and a 9,000lb trailer, no brake issues or BCM issues. As I said the first model years (04/05) had insufficient brakes and this issue was resolved with updated pads and rotors and brackets on mine at 3,000 miles and no problems since. Let's not forget the Tundra and Sequoia had the same exact brake issues on their first generation of full sized trucks.

-mike

PS: Since your comments don't concern the 2008 model, please keep them in the Titan compaints/problems thread instead of this thread which is to discuss the new 08 Titan.
    History of the model and its engineering and customer service does concern the release of the 2008 Nissan Titan Model. So these comments are appropriately posted in the preview section of the 2008 Nissan Titan. And, again you are generating false comparison, the severity of the Nissan Titan Brake Defect is much worse, which has yet to be resolved in many Nissan vehicles. Braking in vehicles is ultimately generated by heat and friction. The calipers on the 2004 Nissan Titans are faulty and so are the materials and overall design. The rotors are to small, and made of poor material, as the brake pads rub up and down against the rotor due to the faulty calipers this causes the rotors to warp and the brake pads to prematurely wear out. As the rotors warped, the heat and friction weren't enough to stop a vehicle safely. In addition, this would send out vibrations through-out the vehicle, so violently drivers would be unable to hold on the the steering wheel and lose control of the vehicle. Nissan released thousands of vehicles in this condition, they stipulate these facts by issuing 4 technical service bulletins, and one recall, trying to fix it. As a first year Titan owner, this the the foundation and reputation that Nissan launched its new line of Nissan Titans. After four attempts of repairs, and Nissan still has failed to resolve this issue on my vehicle. You can see why I'm not impressed with the 2008 line of Nissan Titans.
    However your concerns are with your 04MY, not the 08MY. Do you know anything about the 08MY, the brake issues were fixed with the 06MY and very few complaints have been lodged for those years and the years afterward. So how can you project that because you had a problem with your 04MY Titan, there will be a problem with the 08MY.

Jeez, some people just don't get it do they....

-mike
    Would you buy from a company that releases thousands of unsafe and unreliable vehicles? Has failed to come up with a viable solution to solve its break defect. And even fails to honor its written warranty in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. If even Nissan doesn't back its product, why should I?

Jeeez, some people are brain-washed huh? Does Nissan tell you that garbage, like the truck is actually smaller but feels bigger. Ignore are parts defects, and treat those customers like garbage, and lie to them and break federal law buy not honoring warranties. Who cares about the lives that are at stake, its all about out bottomline.
    Actually this is my first Nissan I've ever owned.

I had brake problems, I knew that about the Japanese full size trucks going in (Toyota had the same problem it's first year of the Tundra/Sequoia).

Nissan fixed my truck's brake problems, Larger Rotors, Pads and Caliper Brackets. I tow large loads (9,000lb boat trailer, 6,000lb car trailer) and since the brake fixes, no issues.

No one has "brainwashed" me into liking my truck, heck I had a deposit on a Suburban before I even looked at my 04 Armada.

Just because YOUR PARTICULAR dealer isn't helpful, doesn't mean all of them are not helpful.

-mike
    Again you are posting hogwash. It is a systemic problem, many people are facing the same issues with the Nissan Titan trucks. Just look at the numerous blog discussions on this site. The problem encompasses multiple franchised owned dealerships, and Nissan North America has a whole. It boils down to a cost benefit analysis, why would you fix the problem when you can deny it exists, offer cheap solutions or even refuse to service vehicles, and just try to minimize losses. They offer quick solutions that take customers to outside the warranty period and not 10 year, 120,000 mile solutions. You put your consumers lives in danger in order to have a greater bottom line (profit) in a competitive vehicle market. Your very naive if you think this is just a particular dealership versus a company strategy.
    How is it then that me, towing 9,000lb trailers, 6,000lb trailers and when I'm not towing my race cars, I'm a fairly "aggressive" driver and after the last fix, almost 33,000 miles ago, I haven't had a problem?????

Try to explain that then?

-mike
    I ALSO ASKED YOU TO KEEP YOUR COMMENTS IN THE PROPER DISCUSSION, this is a discussion about the features, etc. of the 2008 Titan, not a place for you to air your complaints, please see the PROPER DISCUSSIONS where your complaints should be places like "Problems, Issue, etc" or start your own topic to air your complaints!

-mike
    I asked you to post your comments in "false statements," because most of what you say is hogwash. If Nissan isn't willing to back its vehicles, even those brand new with valid written warranties people should know that before considering purchasing a 2008 Nissan Titan. Because saying a vehicle has a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty, and then not providing warranty service at 30 months and 24000 miles is a big issue that consumer should know about. So, again this is the proper board for this discussion, so readers can examine these considerations before making a decision.
    "I asked you to post your comments in "false statements," because most of what you say is hogwash."

See the difference between you and I is this, I am posting about MY OWN EXPERIENCE, not making widespread generalizations about the vehicle as a whole, the company as a whole or all their dealerships as a whole.

What exactly did I lie about???? What false statements have I made??? NOW I'M MAD! I never personally attacked you or said that your particular vehicle doesn't have a problem (as I can't vouche for something that I haven't seen) and I never said that Nissan was or wasn't treating you properly, as I don't have all the details.

I simply stated that your comments are not relevant to this topic as they are about a different model year before the brake issues were address. Have you even researched the 08 model to see if they have the same brakes as yours?

I'm done with this conversation, as once you start making personal attacks as you have, I have no time for your antics.

-mike
    Ok. The false statement was when you said the 2008 Titan was larger than the 2007 Tundra, and I have provided you the measurements. Then you compared the Nissan brake defeat with Tundra which was an apples and oranges comparison since Nissan has really not fixed there problem, and in a cost benefit analysis errors on the side of profit as a company strategy. You stated it was one particular dealership, however, I went to 3 dealerships to get the issue fixed; none of them honored the warranty, and then went to Midas to get my rotors and brake pads replaced for the 4th time. I even called Nissan North America and no action was taken. Bottom line that doesn't sound like one particular dealership to me.

As far the relevance to this topic area. Why would you buy a 2008 Nissan Titan, if Nissan doesn't even back previous years model by honoring its warranty. If a decision comes between protecting your life by repairing defects or saving the company bottom line (profit), they choose profit. People should know that before purchasing their next vehicle.
  • muskyfevermuskyfever Member Posts: 20
    My buddy bought a Titan and says it's the best truck he has ever owned bar none. The dealer I bought my Pathfinder from was ranked as the number one dealer in 06' also.

I think I would trust a Nissan over any American truck.
    Thats great to hear. I thought the same thing until I replaced the rotors and brake pads 4 times. Nissan stopped backing the warranty at 24000 miles and 30 months. Then I replaced the BCM for the fourth time. But I towed the vehicle to a BBB arbitrition hearing since Nissan wouldn't volunteerly buy back the vehicle and it wasn't even in working condition and the arbitrated obviously awarded buy-back for the safety and reliability issues in a consent decision. The hearing was a waste of time since the facts were clear and I had all my work history and documentation. In fact Nissan didn't even present a case, they concurred at the hearing, basically I guess just wondered if I would show up. But I won't go though that nightmare vehicle again. I understand they fixed the brake issue in 2005, but they shouldn't have released faulty unsafe vehicles in 2004 and then stop backing the warranty.
    I'm waiting for the MY2012, after Nissan fixes the issues with the 2008s. OR maybe I'll wait until MY2016, after they fix the problems with the 2012 models. I guess there is no good time to buy a Nissan, so maybe I'll just buy something else.
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    You are absolutelly right...

Please, don't buy a Nissan and leave us alone!
    ----

Seems like the guy is unstopable even being told so by Hosts.
    Seems like to me you can post what you want, if you have a positive experience with Nissan. Otherwise, you have to keep your remarks to yourself because your not part of the Nissan Lovers Club. Unstopable is right, I drove a 2004 Nissan Titan with brake defect. What did your comment have to do with the 2008 Nissan Preview? Please post your remarks in "I love my Nissan Truck and it is the bestest truck in the whole-wide world" forum.
    Again same story :), how about your 666 repairs?
    Or better yet .. inaudible
    I didn't get my vehicle repaired 666 times. This discussion is getting old. Move on.
  • mick14mick14 Member Posts: 30
    Razorthunder is still crying.......WAHHHHHHHH :cry:
    :shades:
    Nor has my Titan. This is the best truck I have ever owned hands down. Hey paisan, how is the ride in the 'mada? Is it possible to put the rear IRS into a Titan? Hmmmmm......
    Ride and handling on the Armada is great. It rides like a caddy, handles like a car.

Really feels like a big Outback. I am not sure what would need to be done to get the IRS into the Titan, I bet it could be done, although the frame in the rear section may be different.

The auto-load leveling suspension is great. I'll grab some pics next weekend with the 34ft Cigarette Boat triple axle trailer on it when I pick it up. Hoping that the 9100lb towing capacity is enough for it. :)

-mike
    Upgrade the tires, the Contis sucked in the snow on my truck. Once I upgraded to Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos it's like night and day. In the snow they've totally been great, was stuck in ice-encrusted snow banks here in NYC yesterday and just put it in 4-lo and pulled out. Amazing stuff.

-mike
    Mike,

I read many technical articles, most of them on "tirerack" about different tires and my personal conclusion was there is no big difference between different tires, of course we are not talking about formula-1 or anything in that category. Even comparing normal all season snow/mud tire to pure snow tires, the difference is not much.

I don't doubt your experience with Revos, but could it be you impression is partly because these are new, compared the ones you replaced, which were obviusly old. My point is, let say you had old Duler and replaced them with Conti's, would you notice a good improvement?
    The reason I am asking this questions, is because
    my personal experience with Conti's are very good, except I cannot compare with anything else yet. On the offroading trip up in mountains in CA, lots of snow and mud, I never had any problem. Recently in Texas on a loose gravel, again no problems.
    I've owned a lot of tires over the years and there are major differences. I am also comparing them to my truck when I had new Contis on. The Conties were fine in rain, dry on-road but were horrible offroad and in snow.

-mike
    I've used a lot of AT tires on my SUVs over the years and this isn't a placebo effect for sure.

-mike
    Try the BFG TA/KO tires. I have them and they seem to be rock solid. I think the new compound is 10-ply. They used
    to be 8-ply. They work good in everything but snow and ice........ :)
    Yeah TA/KOs are great, my buddy runs them. I couldn't go larger than stock so I stuck with the Bridgestones.

-mike
  • think38think38 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know when the 2008s will be available?

And no, I don't want to read about brake problems on a 2004 truck (four model years later).
    Haven't heard of a release date yet, looking forward to it myself. Although I'm really looking forward to the 2010 model.

-mike
    I agree. The 2008s aren't much change from the previous years models, just a few interior changes, even Edmunds criticized it for not being competitive enough in terms of different engine options and styling upgrades.

Think38 - Those people with previous years brake and paint problems, just need to accept and live with it; since they will all be finally solved in the 2008 models. Bottomline, they know the risks invloved when purchasing a Nissan. So if problems occur, they should live with it.
  • cory8899cory8899 Member Posts: 2
    The 2008 Nissan titan is more than changing enough to compare with its competitors. Take any of the toyota line and put it next to the new Nissan Titan trim level (Pro -4x) and then talk about how it doesn't compare. Titan or tundra????? TITAN ANY DAY!
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I know this is off topic, but I cannot resist. Every single time I drive my Frontier 4x4 Nismo I can't help but smile. Titan's little brother is nothing less than a hoot for my wife and I to drive, wherever it may be. In my mind, there is no competition. There is no "perfect" vehicle, yet this is the closest to it that I have ever known.
    Keep it up Nissan! And thanks Titan.
    Now I'll head on back to the Frontier board.

Mick
  • cory8899cory8899 Member Posts: 2
    The frontier 4x4 is definitly a good vehicle; Especially being the NISMO. Your right about there not being a perfect vehicle, everyone has there own personal preference. I used to think that the titans might have been over priced, but once i took a minute to read up a little bit on the specs i started to realize that its priced right. And you get the Nissan name which means that it will last you more than a long time. Would you say that you might would look into gettin into a Titan?
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    The Titan is too much truck for my needs. If I was in need of a heavy duty hauler, perhaps pulling more than 3 tons, I'd certainly consider the Titan. My Frontier suits me perfectly, just the right fit and size. And my garage is only 10'x 18'. Being a titch over 17' my Nismo fits nicely.
    We have 4 Nissans in our family, an Access, a Pathfinder, and 2 Frontiers, all in great shape and good running order.
    They have all been very reliable, costing us very little to maintain. I believe that is the key though,to getting good long term duty out of any vehicle, proper maintanence.
    Enjoy your Titan!
    Nissan is great and do last a long time, my Titan last 24000 miles and 30 months before being deemed unrepairable. It almost made it out of the warranty period. GO NISSAN! :lemon:
  • think38think38 Member Posts: 2
    I was merely making a snide remark that your brake problems on your 2004 truck do not need to dominate every thread in these discussions. I found the first couple posts of your experience informative, the next few dozen repetitive, then the rest down right annoying. More so when presented off topic.
    I was merely making a snide remark that your brake problems on your 2004 truck do not need to dominate every thread in these discussions. I found the first couple posts of your experience informative, the next few dozen repetitive, then the rest down right annoying. More so when presented off topic.

Like owning a Nissan, it was great to start, then the repairs were repetitive, and then out-right annoying especially when you have things to do and your truck doesn't work. I'm glad my points were received exactly has intended ..... I appreciate the feedback.
  • treehuggerjaketreehuggerjake Member Posts: 14
    I have not owned a pickup in about 15 years, and that one was 10 years old when I let go of it.

I am considering purchasing a 2007 pickup, half ton. I need the larger double cab, full double cab. I will need to use the back seat often for kids and dogs. I want the truck to be able to tow 7,500 pounds, perhaps a little more. I would prefer as good gas mileage as possible. I want the truck to last for years and across the 100,000 mile mark without major repairs.

Should I wait for 2008 to see if problems with the new 2007s have been corrected?

If I purchase this year, what would someone suggest?
  • gina3998gina3998 Member Posts: 7
    I have the 2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab. I love my truck. I have 4 kids that go along with it and it works out great. I bought the truck with about 9,500 miles on it and a couple of months later and just over 14,500 later; no problems. KNOCK ON WOOD. My truck has been great. We just moved ourselves and load both of our trucks up many times and my truck did awesome. :shades:
  • brewdog2001brewdog2001 Member Posts: 1
    I bought just recently a 2008 Nissan Titan LE CrewCab SWB. After having owned an 04 chevy silverado, and my brother owning 3 silverados, as well as my father's 2 ford pickups, I can say the Titan does stand up to them. I find that the 08 titan is a very well put together truck, as I have tested its hauling and towing capacity towing a 10000lb trailer with weight distributing hitch just to see what the Titan was made of. I have had no issues with any of the functionality or features of the truck. I would say that it is as well built as my 02 Mercedes-Benz SLK230.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Got a message from Consumer Reports that it is featuring the new Nissan Titan in the April 08 publication. It will be in the Annual Automobile issue. Should be available in 3-4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.