Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Sprinter Tires & Wheels

bbird1bbird1 Member Posts: 8
Hi everyone

I have an 04 Sprinter cargo van 140" :)

I am running the new Firestone Transforce HT, has anyone else tried this tire. I may only see 40,000 miles :( . Need a higher mileage tire.

Have heard good things about the Michelin LTX/MS :) , but at $200.00 more a set tan the Firestones I better get over 60,000 miles

Comments

• bbird1bbird1 Member Posts: 8
    I am running the Nokian winter tires :) , 7,000 miles so far and no sighns of wear. Has anyone put some serious mileage on these tires :confuse: . Hoping to get get over 40,000
  • bbird1bbird1 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have some long lasting tires :) , I am talking 50,000+ miles. So far I have 11,000 miles on the Michelin LTX/MS 16" and no signs of wear ;)
  • northenernorthener Member Posts: 5
    I skipped out of northern maine before a flake fell. But I wonder how people have done in the snow with studded snow tires in winter conditions. Mine is a new 2500 140 WB. thanks,paul
  • surlyoldbillsurlyoldbill Member Posts: 36
    I got stuck on flat ground on 1" of packed down snow in a parking lot. Stock LTX tires. It just took a little push to get momentum, but I'm still surprised at how easy it got stuck. I'm hoping the 4x4 or all-wheel drive models will be in the works for North America.
  • kenbakerkenbaker Member Posts: 239
    that is a-typical behavior for a Sprinter... I have trudged around in pretty bad conditions including packed and loose and drifted snow, ice, sleet, re-frozen ice, etc. and the ESP/ASR/ASP/ei-ei-OH (alphabet soup) takes over and it just turns/runs/stops/starts straight and easy.

Starting up my driveway from a dead stop is not so good, but as icy as it gets it isn't even easy to stand up on it in very good cold weather hiking boots. Starting up is always problematic without chains/studs as the (transmission multiplied) torque has a tendency to overpower traction.

Yes, the Stock LTX tires are not optimum for snow, that is a given. As with all Anti-spin systems I have used so far, a little throttle goes faster than hitting it hard and fast as you can over-power its ability to decide how fast to start up. In a slow corner, then ESP also takes over and you will hear and feel the effects of wheel/brake interactions and the computer slows engine speed for near-zero acceleration.

KenB :shades:
  • toddh2toddh2 Member Posts: 3
    I have yet to drive a sprinter in snow, but I always think of an old timer I met many years ago in colorado who said he could go anywhere in his old 2wd pickup with winter tires, lots of weight in the back, and posi-traction. Following his advice I too have had much luck with 2wd pickups in a snowy climate (montana) where almost everyone HAS to have 4wd. So it is no surprise that that a sprinter with the stock tires (without weight) would get stuck easily (even with the traction control).

You know, most police cars in these parts are rear wheel drive (with good snow tires and all that crap they carry in the back!) ... further supporting my belief that the "need" for 4wd is a bit exaggerated.
  • chad140chad140 Member Posts: 3
    WOW,
    Hello all. Just read through all of the previous posts. Just bought a 2004 140" standard roof last week. So far so GOOD. Can anyone from up in the snow lands tell me what might be a better snow tire than the stock tires? Might be moving to Washington State in a few months. Thanks
  • toddh2toddh2 Member Posts: 3
    Nokian makes fantastic snow tires (all seasons or either studded or studless winter tires...check out tiresbyweb.com). Blizzaks (firestone?) are also quite good (studless) especially in the first year or two when the tread is new. A good review of snow tires can be found if you google "snow tire FAQ".
    You'll have to check and see if there are any RV tires that are made for snow. You can have studs put into just about any mud&snow tire. Be aware that you have to get high load rating tires for the Sprinter; which you may not find in stock at your local tire store.
  • chad140chad140 Member Posts: 3
    Okay after hours of reading the owners manual and pushing and turning everything on the dash I really only have one other question.....so far. On the air condition/ rest/ heater booster button.....Is the heater booster an option?? Either the button is jammed or its not connected. The little lamp/ bulb is there but it doesn't illuminate....any thoughts???
    I think the heater booster function is for heating the cab after the engine is turned off. It automatically turns itself off after 20-30 minutes. From what I understand, it runs the water pump to get hot water into the heater core to heat the cab, with the fan. It won't turn on with the motoe running or cold.
    1) top third is A/C
    2) middle third is heat/boost (push in once while running to heat up faster and maintain optimum heat in cold weather)
    3) bottom is REST (push once while NOT running and key off, to give heat/fresh air after stopping)

heater boost adds heat until engine gets up to 185 F., then cycles to low speed and only boosts when engine temp falls off (only use below 41 F) Probably only need when idling below 35 F (maybe colder) or running in the teens or lower (*especially into a cold wind*).

REST only works while the engine/key is off and adds residual heat from the engine to the cab (heater knob turned to HOT), or fresh air only if the knob is turned to cold. Run the auxillary water pump to circulate hot water in the heater core as neeed to use up the heat. Runs about 20-30 minutes as mentioned.

If you ever have the two vents on the top of the dash (either side of the radio) open, then those either get (ambient/cold) outside air, or cold inside air (prior to the heater core, but after the A/C coil).

pushing air to the windshield is when you turn the directional knob pointing UP (AND) turning off all of the dash vents!!! Remember the two on top of the dash if you need hot air on the windshield, and close them too!!!
  • sprinterdocsprinterdoc Member Posts: 11
    Heather booster is to warm up the engine quicker by heating up the coolant with diesel fuel. There are 3 options on heater booster: button on a/c switch, button on center console or top version is on the center console with programable feature. REST button is to keep inside of the cabin warm after engine is turn off.
  • bhmetbhmet Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 cab/chassis 3500 with a stakebed. The tires are Continental P195/70R15, load range 'D'. I am trying to replace 2 and I am getting 4 week lead time. Any one know why? Anyone know of similar tire from another mfr? :confuse: Bhmet
  • altered3altered3 Member Posts: 59
    Try Bridgestone and quote C=commercial rating for load control weight ratio
  • sppspp Member Posts: 13
    I'm reading some posts regarding the poor performance of the sprinter stock tire in snow. I just drove in a snow/sleet situation in the northeast and I have never had a scarier ride. I've been driving for 38 years in all conditions in numerous types of vehicles. I have never felt more UNSAFE than today in my 2006 sprinter. It surprises me that previous posts have been relatively calm! Dodge corporation equipping this vehicle with these tires is nothing short of CRIMINAL!!! You are unsafe with these tires in the snow, PERIOD! I believe dodge should replace these tires. After all they had to expect that the sprinter would be used in snow, and we as consumers should feel safe in the vehicle in this day and age! What do you think?
    Are you serious chrysler is in a heap of do do economically. their bean counters will not even entertain recalling and replacing unsafe tires on the sprinters. I'm sure their engineers knew of potential foul weather problems with the "stock" rubber! Maybe one of the engineers that monitors this site will be brave enough to come out from the cold and attest to the fact that chrysler knew that the sprinter would be unsafe in snow with the stock tire! Damn if they didn't test the vehichle in snow!!! If you own a sprinter and you drive or at least try to drive in snow or sleet you should be outraged. join me in protest and possible legal action to make others aware of chryslers negligence!
    We had a very bad winter (compared to recent ones) here in Oklahoma and I got around great in my Sprinter (with stock rubber) until the snow turned to ICE and was just about too slick to stand up on.

Every vehicle I have ever bought did NOT have stock tires even remotely optimum for extreames of weather (rain, snow, ice, mud). In fact, a great mud tire, although pretty good in snow is tragically bad in icy conditions and not all that great in the rain.

SPP, which "stock" tire did your Sprinter come with? What year, size, model Sprinter do you have? We can see that you are concerned, now give us the details. Since you didn't name the tire manufacturer can we presume that you think the tires are OK for the purpose they WERE designed for?

When you realized that the tires you had on your Sprinter did not match your driving needs, conditions, or habits what did you do about it? Go back to dealer, contact DC management, switch tires? What was the DODGE or DC response to you?

Let us know your total experience, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    KenB :confuse:

PS, the tire that is avaiable here in the USA and seems to satisfy many people for Snow and related conditions is the Bridgstone BLIZZAK model tire line. They won't hold their superior ice handling for the entire life of tread, so they may still be good for fair weather after their useful wintertime life is gone.

PSS I am a former user of Bridgestone tires, and never have been associated with them professionaly.
    Ken,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. my sprinter is a 2007 med. wheelbase high roof. The tires on my sprinter are Michlien ltx a/s ct225/75 r16. Absolutely worthless in the snow or light granular ice. I have approx. 16k on the vehichle and can guarantee you that the selling dealership, Lee dodge of commack ny would not even entertain any request to change these tires. I'm having trouble with both the dealership and dodge customer care ( all I hear is that this is an internal matter and I may or not hear back from anyone) to replace a broken switch that controls the interior wall lights from the rear double doors.
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    How much are you paying at the pump. Here in michigan it went from 259.9 to 299.9 almost over night. The highest I have seen it 313.9. Yikes, What is it in your state. Tom :mad: :cry:
    I agree with the dealer problems... these customer service problems are like a plague on the brand...

My dealer in OKC, Oklahoma is likely to be removed from 5-Star and Sprinter Dealer status very soon, leaving just about NO ONE to do warranty work in the entire central Oklahoma area!

I plan to start using a Mercedes shop as soon as the warranty is out (local non-factory MB shop).

Thanks,
    KenB

PS, check out the Bridgestone Bilzzaks for the Sprinter they really do look great for the application, including bad weather driving.
  • cornjoliocornjolio Member Posts: 5
    I have an 04 3500 with a harbor utility body. The 15" tires (195 vanco) apear as tinny doughnuts beneath my truck. Anybody gone to a much bigger tire? Problems? I may have 7 or 8 (one completly new) tires to get rid of without the 4 week lead time..(I went through that too!). Also I live where there is snow..(Iowa) any luck with the Blizzak line?

I have had lots of dealer problems too! I don't think I will go there if there is any possible way around them. Thanks for this forum..big help.
  • 2000_valk2000_valk Member Posts: 67
    Looks like a trip to the tire store. I have 78k one the original. I still have some good tread, But why chance anything. Any suggestions out there. Im in mich. I do 60/40 freeway and around town. Any tips, Thanks, Tom :shades:
  • minicoopersminicoopers Member Posts: 26
    When my '08 Sprinter shows up with the factory aluminum wheels I plan on sending them to SoCal to get plated. The going rate is $125 per wheel (anything 17" or smaller) plus freight. Has anyone had this done or for that matter, has anyone ordered these wheels from the factory? :shades:
    Tom,
    Personally I am still leaning toward Bridgestone Blizzak's,
    Otherwise, Bridgestone Duelers (if rated for the load) with enough tread profile to do some good in mud/snow (more than the H/L model Dueler).

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/SearchByVehicle_BS_EN.aspx?Year=2004- &Make=DODGE&Model=Sprinter+2500+w%2fCommercial+Tires+Only+(Std+Size)

KenB ;)
  • tismepaulitismepauli Member Posts: 5
    Hey I used the firestone Winterforce tires in a 215-70-15 in the back... dualies, and they worked great. Not 8 ply but I dont have a big load and I have four in the back right? The front I left stock for now.... any Ideas for them or to get an extra set of rims? peace, Paul
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Because this vehicle was designed in Europe, it has some peculiar tire requirements.

The vehicle either comes with LT tires or C tires (the European equivalent of LT tires.)

If you have the 15", they are C type.

In either case you should not use passenger car tires on it.

Be sure you get the right kind. They need to be capable of at least 65 psi. (There is one version of this truck that is going to require 80 psi.)
  • sprinter2007sprinter2007 Member Posts: 6
    I just went to a tire website. they suggested 4 snow tires. I have never heard of putting snow tires on the front of a rear wheel drive vehicle.
    can anyone tell me their opinion.
    The tires all have to match or the computer will turn on limp mode due to differential speeds of tires.

Sprinter turning radius gives a challenge to tires due to turn-in radius and the added traction is a great thing for the fronts as well as the rears.

Finally, the ASR/ESP/Antilock Brakes all work better with traction all around. In slippery conditions, these systems work together with alternating braking, acceleration, engine retardation, etc. to make turns and maneuvers safer.

All in all, it is recommended to match tires on a Sprinter, even though it is rear wheel drive only in the USA.

KenB ;)
    Hi ken<

What would Limp mode look like? I am running larger tires on the back duelies. They are passenger snow tires rated at 45 psi. I run 42 cold and get good wear, handling, and with my light loads and four tires I personally have no worries . Is there somethiong I am missing? P.S. I ran the snows through the summer since last year or 30,000+ miles. the only problem is that the cruise control doesnt work over 45 mph...
    Thanks For your input Paul
    Yes Paul,
    that is the first level of limp mode related to tire size mismatch... no Cruise Control over @ 45 MPH. I had forgotten that was the reported effect for (minor, but noticeable) tire mismatch.

I cannot remember all of the circumstances that will also turn on speed limiting, obviously a detected turbo failure (real or imagined, such as turbo resonator failure (loss of turbo boost pressure)); engine codes; etc. Perhaps more severe tire mismatches.

The other effect as I had mentioned is confusion of the ASR/ESP/ABS systems in slick conditions, such as turning on ice... when all the systems work together to stop spin, tire sliding, and stability issues.

• dcrosindcrosin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Sprinter 2500 with the high top. Last year I used 2 studded tires on the back but driving the Sprinter it felt less stable. I am looking to possibly go with the Blizzak W965's. Do I need to put 4 tires on or can I use just 2. I live in upstate NY and drive country roads a lot here as well as in Penn.

Dick R.
    Hi,
    What might the ramifications be if I am running passenger snows on the rear with the duellies. I am running 215-70-15's with 40
    psi and now moved up to a 215-75-15 firestone winterforce Studded in the rear. In the front I used a 225-70-15 load range d tires.
    With all four being much higher and the same height the ABS and ESP works fine.
    thanks for your help

Paul
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    ".........What might the ramifications be if I am running passenger snows on the rear with the duellies. I am running 215-70-15's with 40
    psi and now moved up to a 215-75-15 firestone winterforce Studded in the rear. In the front I used a 225-70-15 load range d tires........"

One of the ramifications would be a tire failure - and if this occurred at high speed - well......the results could be tragic.

This is why I posted my comment about the tire type. You have to use C type or LT type tires in order to have enough load carrying capacity.
    I plan to go with matched Blizzaks (all four).

KenB
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a 2006 sprinter 2500 cargo van 140". I need to get snows. I'm thinking of also geting new wheels for the snows. Can some one please tell me what are the largest size wheels and tires I could put on the sprinter 2500. Also, would you recommend a good snow tire. One tire dealer I use tells me to get cooper s/t. another says bridgestone blizzack w965. BTW are the wheels available in black, i'm tired of dirty looking brake dust. Thanks,
  • steveboustevebou Member Posts: 3
    Guys,

Keep the OE size as much as possible. if you start to change the overall diameter of the tire (rolling circumference), it may change the characteristics of the vehicle. Just as an example, your stopping distance may become longer due to the pulses on the ABS.

Also, if using winter tires, do your best to put on 4. If you can only afford 2, ALWAYS install them on the rear of the vehicle. If all of your traction is only on the front of the vehicle, you will likely lose the rear of the vehicle in a corner on slipery roads and end up in the ditch.

FYI - The Sprinters used by our courier company is equipped with Bridgestone Blizzak W965. They seem to work exceptionally well.
    Well...I have moved up from the stock 195-15 to a 215 75 15 and the van rides awesome. Studded snows in the back and goodyear cargo vectors 225-70-15's in the front! two inches larger diameter....the way it should have been! stops great. Speedometer is spot on correct to...go figure!
    Paul
    Your (analog) speedometer is now spot on... your (digital) odometer/engine management is now off... and you are putting more miles on the vehicle than your dash shows.

You must keep front and rear diameters very close or ASR/ESP/ABS, etc. will not be calibrated, and can even disable features (like no cruise control over 45 MPH).

• etroupetroup Member Posts: 7
    All streering and 75% of braking workload is on front tires. That is why four snow tires are a good idea.
  • metro60metro60 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, can anyone recomend some good all season tires I have no need for snow tires, but do need some tires that can carry a load

I have a 2002 2500 freightliner

Thank you
    I tend toward Bridgestone Light Truck/truck tires... they generally have stiffer sidewalls and hold up better than OEM tires I replaced them with.

Thanks,
    Kenneth :shades:
  • metro60metro60 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you

I see the snow tires but can't figure out which one is for trucks
    I'll figure itnout :)

Thank you
  • mongossmongoss Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

Have a few years of the Sprinters starting with an '06 model. My ? is how do you deactivate the ASR? My trucks are all cargo vans and I use them for carrying mostly flat boxes that I deliver to small companies

Myself including a few of my drivers keep getting stuck when the darn thing goes into effect.

I know its a safety thing but.... its also safety when I get stuck halfway up a tarmac street that is lightly covered in snow and I don't have the recommended 600 + lbs in the back for adequate weight over the rear wheels.

I had 1 of my drivers get stuck on a hill a few weeks ago on wet leaves! He proceeded to back down the hill with hazzards on using both of his mirrors and the backup camera and was struck from behind by a car coming up the hill.
  • mongossmongoss Member Posts: 2
    In the heat of the gas rapeing we took this past summer nationally, here in Eastern PA, I was paying $4.80-.90 something a gallon for diesel.!!!

Currently just purchased fuel yesterday at $3.21 a gallon.
  • pboothpbooth Member Posts: 5
    I only run the Michelin 225/75/16 M/S. Not cheap but my last set ran 85000, and I load my van.
  • rjp9rjp9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2500 diesel with 144 W.B. and the tires are about wore out with 14000 miles. Payload is about 1400 lbs.
    Does anyone have a good tire suggestion.
  • ponchovponchov Member Posts: 14
    Have gone to taller tires in the past to off set some of the lower rear end gearing on my other trucks. I understand the speedo will show some else.
    Would like to fit a taller, better tire from the stock Conti which are only going getting 30k miles at the most on my 08 144.
    Any suggestions for a longer milage tire w/ a taller profile?
    Thanks
  • minutzminutz Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought new tires. I went from Michellin LTX 225-75-R16 to Michelin LT 245-75-R16. My previous calculations - 18mpg average, 3 mph less real speed difference on radar and my speedometer. Lots and uncomfortable swaying.
    Now, with higher tires I feel more stability, and my speedometer matches radar speed readings. Only one dilema: mpg dropped from 18 to 14.
    Is it because I am finally getting real rolling miles? Or there is a discrepancy somwhere?
    Also, with smaller tires, there is more rotations per mile traveled. Don"t I accumulate more (fake) miles on my odometer?
    One more questions: What is the difference in feet or miles in rolling surface between a 225/75/R16 and 245/75/R16 ?
    If I gain 3 mph with the new tires (based on speedometer data), that means I am going to put less miles on my vehicle than before. It's logical, but what is the truth about this?

Thank you for reading my post.
  • hunghuahunghua Member Posts: 4
    I have an 08 with alloy wheels. I went from 245 75 16 stock continental garbage to
    235 85 16 Michelin LTX M&S 2, these are new M&S tires hence the 2, they ride great and MPH is now more accurate than with stock tires. I verified with GPS and am within 1 mph of what speedo is indicating. These have 70K treadlife warranty and were $820 out the door for 4. Car rides a little higher, and dealer didn't know if they would fit, they did and look great, fill up the wheel well nicely. Go with this size and you'll be smiling and your ride will smooth out.