Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Patriot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dastilesdastiles Posts: 6
    I'm pretty happy with mine. It's a gas saver, got a classic Jeep look and the 158 horses gets me around just fine. Not bad for the 15,500 I paid for it. I think the GAMA world engine is strong and the CVT tranny is responsive. I could have plucked down a few more thousand for a Honda or Scion but this Pat's got a look of it's own.

Plus the powertrain warranty will be one less headache.
  • 37,000 miles and no real complaints about ours. I've had it in a couple times for minor warranty work and they've been more than accomodating. As far as the warranty still existing after bankruptcy, it is REQUIRED that either the government or the car company still honor the warranty that you get with your vehicle= no worries down the road with the powertrain. I put a hitch on mine and have pulled around my & my wife's motorcycles a few times (1,300 lbs total, w/ trailer) and have no complaints. The engine does run at a higher RPM but it doesn't seem to have any problems. Also, I take the Freedom Drive II 4x4 Pat to work when it snows instead of my 4X4 truck- it is AMAZING in the snow. I've not once felt unstable in it in inclement weather. All in all, we really like the versatility of the Pat. PLENTY of room for us, the dogs, and all of our gear for an extended trip. Gas mileage is a big plus, and you can't beat an unlimited warranty on the powertrain. Just make sure you get the one you want and that you plan on keeping it for a while- resale value on these is lacking!
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 122
    thank you for your replies! I appreciate you taking time for this. You both seem to reaffirm my thoughts that the actual owners are happy with their purchase. I think the Pat. is unique from the rest of the small suv's, as well, making it more eye-catching than the others. I've never owned any Jeep product and have actually always hailed Toyota, but they seem to out-price my income. I might just have to go for a test drive in one! :)
  • profrubydprofrubyd Posts: 1
    I had a scary event happen and the dealereships can't id. the problem. I was on a trip and after taking a break and restarting my car, it started to sputter, especially going uphill. It got worse and turned into "bucking". I was a long way from any town, so I kept going. After a while, it started to accelerate and the tach climbed. The car was at 10K ft. bucking and accellerating uphill with the engine racing and the tach flying up to 5500 rpm. When we leveled off, the sputtering continued and the engine raced. I could feel a surge. I put the car in neutral and hit the breaks. The breaks were hard and did not respond. I put it in neutral and turned off the key. It took 3 hard tugs on the E-brake to stop. I thought the engine was going to blow up. The dealership nearby has had it for 3 days and can't find anything wrong. Apparently it did not even register in the computer.
    Has anyone out there had a similar problem???
    I am afraid to drive the car. I have had it 100 days! It is still under warranty, but they can't find anything wrong!
    @profrubyd

Interesting problem you got there. I've had a couple of problem where the engine would not start... but after turning key all the way off and retrying .....every thing ok.
    It sounded like you had a sensor intermittent failure for sure and it had something to do with control fuel or air mixture. If you were going through a pass on a trip a barometric sensor may react that way. If it felt like you had "bad gas" I would look there. Do you remember your "check engine" light coming on at all? Good Luck
  • dbee2dbee2 Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem but was in New York during rush hour traffic. Did you notice any lights on? I had a warning light. I was able to pull off the road and turned the ignition off. When I started the car it was fine. I reached for the manual and the only thing I could find was something related to an electronic throttle control. That was the only time it happened. I have a 2007 Patriot with 81,000 miles. My problems now are all about the suspension.
  • dbee2dbee2 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Patriot with 81,000 miles (yes I travel a lot). I started to hear a thumping and felt a wobble that at first I thought was related to tires. Turned out the car needed front end work - ball joints and control arms. But the noise only got worse. Went to a different dealer - one that didn't charge $120 just to take it around the block. Learned that the right rear ball joint was shot. When they took the tire and rotor off, the rust of the hub was so bad it stripped threads and I now await a new axle. This is insane for a car that is just 3 years old. I had a Cherokee for years, my step son now drives that and it's close to 200,000 with no issues even close to this. What's up with the Patriot? Did they forget about the expectations and reputation of Jeeps? Has anyone else experienced similar suspension issues. Should I unload the car, and if I do is there a new Jeep model that lives up to the old reputation?
  • catncalcatncal Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Went to buy a 2010 Jeep Patriot today. Saw my first one 2 days ago, loved the look. Did the research on it, decided to buy if test drive went OK and trying to do my part to “buy American”. Liked everything about it, height, power, size etc, except rear headrests. About 3 blocks into the test drive, I told the salesman I need to pull over and remove the back seat headrests because when I look over my right shoulder to merge, all I see is the 12 inch tall headrest and that blocking of my view is dangerous, (I have them off in my current vehicle as well). He said they are fixed, part of the seat and they can't be removed. This is a change in the 2010 Patriot and it was done for "safety" reasons. What !?. This is definitely not a safety feature for me. This is another example of things being built for men and not taking into account the size and proportions of women, and why we need women engineers as well. The specifics in this case are: Men are short in the leg and long in the trunk; women are long in the leg and short in the trunk. A 6'2" man and 5'8" woman will both wear a 32" pant leg. Likewise when a 5' 8" man and woman are seated, the man will have a head height 4" taller than the woman.(Men also have longer arms than women of the same height, hence his ability to lounge the car seat back and still reach the radio whereas she has to sit upright) This extra seated height gives him the ability to see over that head rest where my eyes hit just about center. You would think design engineers would be aware of these differences, after all any tailor or seamstress knows this. Anyhow, frustration and disappointment aside, the question is, can anything be done about the headrests, like would it be possible to switch out the seats and put a back seat from a 2009 Patriot that has removable headrests in the 2010 instead ? Any ideas, anyone ? :(
  • trek87trek87 Posts: 49
    edited August 2010
    I suggest either putting the back seat down that's obstructing your view, or reclining the backseat backward (you can do both in the 2010 Patriot). Otherwise, try adjusting your side-view mirror to look more toward the back corner of the vehicle - this will move your blind spot farther away from your car and you won't have to look back at such as extreme angle (allowing you to check your blind spot more easily through the rear passenger window).

I'm 5'7" (barely); my wife is 5'0". Neither of us experience any difficulty in our 2010 Patriot. Good luck.
  • I got my 2009 and I get that same thumping noise on the rare occasion. I stop the care and It goes away. It sounds like I got a rock or something on the wheel. A steady dull thump,thump,thump...... and increases with road speed and not engine speed. SOB driving me nuts trying to locate.
  • Need to change spark plugs on my '08 patriot. What should I know, how many, torque, gap, what kind? Is there one kind for ignition and another for exhaust? Have heard about 4 copper for ignition and 4 platinum for exhaust, is this true? Does anyone know of a repair manual for the patriot out there? Any help would be appreciated.
  • jrinmnjrinmn Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    There are 4 plugs on the top of the block. EASILY accessible. Remove the plastic shroud on top and there they are. Pull the plug boots and you'll be able to get your socket over them. Give them a few light tweaks to see if they'll break loose easily. If not, tweak them IN just a fraction of a turn, then try again to remove them. Don't apply too much pressure to a stubborn plug if it won't come out- you run a good chance of breaking the plug loose from the threads which will be expensive to fix. Be sure to use anti-seize lubricant on the new ones when you install them.

As for which plugs to buy, any auto parts store that's worth a darn will be able to get you the right kind you need. I wouldn't recommend anything fancy (ie: 2 or 4 post plugs) as they showed zero improvement over the factory ones in my experience with the Patriot. Plus, you'll likely be replacing them in 30,000 miles again, so the extra cost is REALLY not worth it. Save a few bucks and get yourself a set of basic, one-post plugs and you'll be fine.
  • Thanks alot for the input! You made my work and decision making alot easier!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I realize you've probably already changed your spark plugs, but I did read somewhere that the copper plug work better in this situation, so there's no need to spend extra $$ for platinum or whatever. Apparently the copper perform better, but don't last as long...but they're so easy to replace and inexpensive, it's easier/better to change them out regularly than go with something longer lasting (that won't perform as well).
  • pal10pal10 Posts: 1
    so far I have replaced 2 sensors, now the 3rd one has acted up after only 15 miles
  • I only have a little over 1000 miles on the new patriot and already the ETC light came on and blinking. I don't understand why it came on but I guess I gotta take the car to the shop tomorrow to see if they can find the problem. Not a good start of a possible Jeep lover. Could anyone out there tell me what could be the normal malfunctions with this vehicle???

Al :mad:
  • The Jeep Patriot is a useless piece of metal garbage. I bought a new one (2008) from a British Columbia dealership (Canada) in Vancouver and had nothing but chronic problems with the arrogance and ineptitude of the dealership and this stressful hunk of junk. We had it warranty fixed five times with various manual transmission gear chronic problems that were defective, lost confidence in the safety and reliabilty of the lame product and suffered enjoyment loss with immense frustration and down time from both this inane dealership and the head quarters company who merely endorses the action of the car lot in turning a blind eye to our chronic headaches that has victimized us for years. In Canada the government protects the crooked auto industry to the detriment of the consumer whereas, in the USA they have the "lemon aid" law that shields buyers from nauseating car problems and bullying tactics by the auto giants. This car is the worst vehicle I have ever owned and they put on cheap junk in this inferior product. The value of this unreliable vehicle, like all other Jeeps, plummets quickly as opposed to better quality suv's like the ford escape that retain their market value. I have no faith in Jeep Canada or useless programs like the Vehicle Sales Authority or CamVamp which is an arbritration board style body that convenes on disputes from customers with the cars and/or dealership. The Jeep Patriot is a lemon and many would not recommend it despite the Canadian government giving buyers a rebate for its gas consumption. There are chronic problems with manual transmissions with Jeep Patriots and other disgruntled consumers I spoke to had immense stress parallel to ours with multiple efforts to fix their inferior product that fails to live up to its promise and expectations in their promotions of this crap vehicle. It is poorly designed with cup holders on the floor (rear) and poor visibility (hummer like style) of windows for tall drivers with several blind spots which hinders driving habits such as looking to the rear over your right shoulder to see vehicles in the other lane. Quite frankly, the Patriot is a huge disappointment and I would not recommend the product, go to a competitor for something better as the Patriot like the Compass lacks class and dependability. Even the dealership put it in writing we suffered huge discomforts that are warranty defects and Jeep Canada, being spineless, looks the other way rather than make amends to a justifiably angry customer who has been victimized with safety and a peace of mind in a weak product that deserves the title "lemon". I hope Chrysler/Jeep goes down the gutter with their laughable service, joke product, aggressive sales tactics that has a very nasty reputation in this area and the deceit in their bogus claims.
    Man Canada.....sorry about your ride. May I ask how many miles on your pat? I have a 2009 with 17000 miles with a CVT tranny. So far so good. No codes, or any problems yet. Just a comment that when bought mine before Jeep dealership went bankrupt they sold my ride with lifetime warranty on engine and tranny. I would now only hope that the body lasts as long as the powertrain. I know my road is different than yours. If you can afford...perhaps a toyota or something else. Good luck
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,313

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• johndunnjrjohndunnjr Posts: 1
    I purchased a Limited Model 2007 and she now has just over 25K on the clock and its a great running Jeep. Gas mileage is very good and its fun to drive. Now dont expect warp speed, but I can assure you, you can get a speeding ticket ! I did, but I still Love My Jeep !

Thanks

John Dunn
    VA BEACH, VA
  • elrlawelrlaw Posts: 20
    edited March 2012
    In August 2011 I bought a 2008 Patriot auto-trans w/58,000 miles; now it has 61,500. Check engine light's come on and per my mechanic code says tran's in "limp" mode. In much kinder words he says I'm screwed: car is likely suffering from a computer problem & an internal mechanical trans problem. Car drives but from a stop acceleration is very slow & top speed is about 40 (except on the downhill) & RPM's won't exceed approx 1800. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What di you do? What are my options/alternative fixes? Will I end up having to buy a new transmission? I'm in the Chicago area. Many thanks.
  • borjas85borjas85 Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I had tons of issues with my patriot and I had got the car new at dallas dodge and every time it was towed to the dealership they looked at me like I was the number one problem that the it was going back for repairs like 20 times in 6 months, yea I said it 20 times, ridiculous! I drove like all kinds of rental cars while my car was in the shop and dallas dodge paid for it and they would give me ISSUES that they had to or that it was very obvious that the car was a junk jeep, the messed up part about me bring my jeep pat back to the shop for repairs there was oil stains every were, and it was a new car. yea I paid 23,000$. For my jeep patriot, I sued Chrysler and won my case, oooh and if u wont a complete buy back from the dealership you need to make sure you get a lawyer with in the first year of purchase, new buyers only have 1 year to qualify for the buy back in the state of TX, but if you still want to sue then you can and that is what I did, I was 3 month to late for the buy back so I just sued for pain and what I went through with my jeep patriot and I won and got $ 5,500 and if you ask me it was better then not getting nothing, ooh and keep every single piece of paper work u get from the shop when getting repairs done. “Work orders” the lawyer will need this for the case and if anyone needs a lawyer I have one.

Alex Simanovsky & Associates LLC, 2300 Henderson Mill Rd, suite 300, Atlanta, Ga, 30345

Wish all the patriot owners the best!
  • I have a Patriot 2008 2X. Last week I had a light on (the engenie) I went with the dealer and they gave app two day later. At the next day the light went off, I call and they told me it was the gas tap maybe it was not correct close. Anyway now one week later I went to fill gas nearly full, I did 60 km all day and my gas is half. I am so worry what happen!! nearly half tank in 60 kms. Where can be the problem!!!
    Please help me!!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,313
    edited October 2012
    No one experiencing stalling issues?

Feds investigate Jeep Patriot stalling problem ((Detroit Free Press))

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I am writing this so maybe this may help someone else with the same problem I experienced in my 2008 Patriot 4x4 2.4L CVT auto trans. While my wife was driving it the other day it sudden lost a significant amount of power and felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. The ESP traction control light and the ETC light came on but no check engine light. I had it towed back to the house and a friend of mine who is a Toyota mechanic and I looked it over. After gathering some info from various forums and connecting a dealer quality scanner to it we found the culprit: Water in the traction control harness connectors at the module.

Since it was new the factory sunroof has leaked constantly. It has been to the dealer 4 times but was never corrected. When the warranty was up we stopped taking it to the dealer mostly because of poor service and also because if those brain surgeons haven't fixed it in the first 4 times on their dime they aren't going to fix it on mine. Anyway, several forums stated the sunroof is an extremely common problem with these as is corrosion of the wire harness. We removed the drivers side kick panel and lifted the rug to check the harness and found about an inch of water in the floor pan, no surprise here. It has a drain plug so we pulled it so it could dry out. We followed the wires up to a silver module with two separate plugs going it by where your left foot would rest( you don't need to remove the kick panel to see it just stick you head under the dash ). This is the traction control module that communicates with the trans module AND the ECM. we unplugged the connector from the module and noticed some minor corrosion on the module pins but the big surprise is when we used compressed air to blow out the connectors. A ton of water blew out from both connectors! We then sprayed some of that electrical dry out spray on the pins and connectors and let it dry. About 10 mins later we plugged the connectors back in and started it up. It ran perfectly! Upon further inspection we came to the conclusion that judging from the visible rust behind the kick panel water was leaking from the sunroof and traveling down the drivers "A" pillar (windshield post), following the wires straight down into the connectors, dripping off and continuing on down to the floor where it collects under the rug. Drove it 40 miles to work today and no problems so far. This has been a problem child and only has 33k on it so we are definitely trading it in on a Toyota in a few days before this problem destroys the module and it gets really expensive. I hope this helps other Patriot owners!
    edited December 2012
    Thank you for your post (message #48.) Our 2008 Patriot suffers from the exact same problem only we don't even have a sun roof. The trouble shooting information you provided is much appreciated. Would it be possible for you to post links to the "various forums" from which you collected your additional information? Thank you!
  • type in "Jeep Patriot loss of power" or "Jeep Patriot water in harness" in yahoo search engine and they all should come up. I personally don't think our sunroof was the problem I think either the windshield was leaking or more likely the roof rack hardware that secures the roof rack to the roof weren't sealed properly. The only way to find out for sure would be to drop the headliner and all the A, B, C, D pillar covers and put a hose on the roof and wait..a day after we fixed we traded it in on a new Toyota while it still ran correctly. Its a shame to see what jeep has become:( Good luck to you.
    Sounds good. Thanks.
  • david314david314 Posts: 3
    Unfortunately I bought a Jeep P N and it is not a true off road machine. at best it gets your groceries reliably when it snows. that's if the tranny and clutch and everything else works. I have owned cars for 35 years and never had the bad luck to own such an unreliable piece of rubbish, nor to have such inept service and diagnosis as I received from Comox Valley Dodge.
    I suggest you do as I will, and sell. at least before you have the issues I have had, unless you have a fondness for engine trouble lights that mean nothing, or something, nobody knows. Not sure if I will buy another 4x4 or get a car that is better on the highway, maybe look for an old Land Cruiser or something. But unless I shop out of town I will avoid that dealer, our only one, so no more abuse for me from them.
    Sell, before it disappoints. Leave her before she leaves you!