Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

Comments

• triple_7triple_7 Member Posts: 63
    welcome to the forum, Hard to believe that you bought a used 07 g35 sedan. Not that you bought one, its a great car and I think you'll enjoy every bit of your drive, but that someone was not happy with the car and wanted to sell it is the surprising part. So far, the car has been great. A few quirks Im still figuring out but the drive has been great.

again welcome and hope you get your questions answered. By the way, the xm comes integrated with the cars system so the previous owner did not have it installed although it did come included with the package he purchased.
    Can someone help with me with this category??. I got some of my son's c/d's on the music box so when we go out on your little drive to help him fall asleep. in the category menu there is a section that says kids songs but I have not been able to figure out how to place any songs in that category. the man. is very vague and only says its allows to play kid songs but not how to label them in there. the other cat. are rarely played and fav. which the HDD does automatically.
    any help will be appreciated
  • yyztoolyyztool Member Posts: 4
    It is all about those Mood Lists..
    When you are listening to the MUSICBOX, you have the option of placing a song on one of four mood lists or dropping it from an existing mood list.
    A mood list is like a play list, it can be accessed from the touch screen or by voice "LIVELY MUSIC".
    Once you are listening to something on a mood list, if you "SELECT BY - ARTIST, ALBUM, REC.DATE" the system selects everything on the MUSICBOX that matches the song you are playing.
    You can scroll through those songs and play what you like,
    OR
    If you use the right scroll wheel on the dash, you can access all your music sorted by how you did "SELECT BY" above, starting from the currently playing item, by ALBUM, by ARTIST, by REC.DATE. ;)

We have two drivers in our car, so we each took two of the mood lists. 90% of the time, I will listen to just the songs on one of my mood lists, but if I ever want to hear the entire albums, or in the mood for an artist superset... It is just two-clicks away.

You can scroll with the Wheel-button as well, as other posts have detailed.

Now if I can only figure out how it does the BY CATEGORY, I'm laughing. :confuse:

6 CD Player - Albums I Love - Essentials From Start to Finish
    Music Box - Albums I Love, - But I delete the odd song now and then, play list by mood.
    In Dash Changer - MP3 files in folders, usually entire Artist Discography, or albums I know I will bore of, I usualy take these with me.
    If it makes my top 100 albums, I eventually burn it to the MUSICBOX.
    CF Card - Usually PODCAST's, or flash-in-the-pan playlists.
    Console IPOD jack - When all else fails !
    P.S. I don't really have an IPOD, I have a SANSA 6GB player which sees more MP3 turn-over than....
    APPLE - MUSIC RIGHTS??? WHAT?
    P.S. CD-RW plates work just fine over and over and over. :P
    My "Kids Music" does not even light up.
    Is it because I have nothing tagged "Childrens Songs"
    I also can not figure out Favorites, or Hits yet..
    Rarely played, I think will be just that, after a few years :shades:
    P.S. Why is there no Industrial or Alternative or Indie in the Category tags :cry:
    The SCAN/RPT key works on all music input sources - except the AUX jack of course.
    Whether the MUSICBOX, or the CF Card, or the CD plate of MP3 files, set it to MIX and jump around with the steering wheel selector - you never know what might come up !!!
    STUDIO ON WHEELS - My word ! :blush:
    Your not going crazy - sometimes it changes on it's own and mixes from just a single folder on your MP3 CD plate...

You can even have it mix your mood playlist, with MIX-PLAYLIST. Just remember that in MIX mode selecting the next item appearing on the screen ain't going to happen - Touch the screen for that :D
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    When viewing the MusicBox screen, choose the Edit button.
    From there, you can add tags to albums/songs, etc.

Once they are tagged, they will appear under the corresponding category.
  • steiny1227steiny1227 Member Posts: 11
    yyztool, I was able to set it to a CF Card Mix mode, but the only way to randomly go to the next song is with the Scan Forward key. If I use the up/down selector on the steering wheel it just goes to the very next song in the list and automatically removes the random. Is there anyway to maintain the randomness and use the controls on the wheel?
    I totally agree with kring. I had a 2004 G35 Coupe before my '07 Sedan and although the Bose system was loud, it never really lived up to to my Quality standards. It sounded pretty bad when you cranked it up.

This new system is kick *ss - it's so much clearer than the old system and the bass output is actually a lot better. I do agree it is very front loaded and actually had a couple passengers make comments, but I'm pretty selfish and since I'm the one driving f*ck the people in the back seat. :) Even at loud volumes the system holds to very good quality.
    kring, how do you use this software? I just downloaded the trial copy to try it out but it sure isn't the most straightforward to use. I'm trying to use the options to grab all files from my CF card, convert them and then write them back to the CF card. It says it can do that and preserve folder structures, etc. but I can't get it to find all the folders when I just put the root drive letter in. Help!!!
  • mguralnimguralni Member Posts: 2
    I am somewhat ignorant wrt cf cards. I know there are different physical sizes as well as different storage sizes. I bought a kingston 2 GB card with a reader but it looks too small to fit in the CF port of my G35. Is there a specific card size i should be using?
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Make sure it's a compact flash (CF) card.
    Z
  • ssscompssscomp Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 G35S with all the bells and whistles. The bluetooth with my HP6945 works great, connects seamlessly and is crystal clear. I have set up phonebook numbers and they work great. Then I attach a Voicetag to some of the phonebook items and that works fine. Turn the car off, come back and they usually work again. Turn it off again and come back and all the Voicetags are gone and need to be redone. Happens repeatedly. Anyone have a good idea?

Thanks.
    RS
    I've heard of this happening to others as well... I'll have to check to see if they found a resolution.
  • mguralnimguralni Member Posts: 2
    but is it the type I or II?
    Can be either.
    Z
    Type II is just faster than I, meaning that you can write files to it quicker.
    Both are the same size.

Remember that once you take the cover off of the slot in the dash, the actual card slot is a little smaller.
    That may be throwing you off a little too.
    I can't link you to the other forum, but it's happening to more than just a few people.
    There's no found resolution though.

We all need to bring it to Infiniti's attention so they can find a cure.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    An informational link is acceptable. ;)
    Dont remember reading this yet so thought i might share.

when using sat radio, pressing the tune arrow up or down will scan through about ten channels. I think it jumps up to the next genre. example rock to dance to jazz.
    hopes this helps someone out there. turning the knob is to much work these days ;)
    That's exactly what it's doing... it jumps to the next "category"
  • 2ndg352ndg35 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my G35X tonight and have the same problem. I am using a portable DVD cable which works fine with my DVD player (while parked) and the sound is perfect with the IPOD. Video on the Ipod comes through distorted with good sound. I tried all the available settings. Maybe we need a better cord? Has anyone had success with Video Ipod?
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    I'm considering a G35x with Premium and debating whether or not I would spend the extra 2K on the Nav package. I currently have a Nuvi and an iPod. From reading some comments on this thread, it seems as though the MusicBox may be more cumbersome than just plugging an iPod into the A/V jacks and playing songs from there - or even just burning CDs and putting them in the changer. And from my brief experience playing with the Nav system, I didn't see a lot of advantages over a Nuvi (which can also be set up to get real-time traffic via XM). Don't really need/want XM radio. That leaves the voice commands - I do like the idea of less distractions while driving so if they work well and help on that front, I can see some value there. Plus the value they would add to Nav over a Nuvi which cannot currently be controlled by voice. (And they are kinda cool.)

I realize everyone has their own priorities/needs, etc. - but for those of you who have the Nav package, what are your thoughts on all of the above? Is the package worth the $? Knowing what you do now, would you still have opted for it?
  • rubicon4rubicon4 Member Posts: 6
    Is there a way to control IPOD (select playlists, songs, etc) using the 07 G35's stereo controls?
    Yes, some people do complain about the controls/features... but I have a fully loaded G and I'm loving the Musicbox feature, and wouldn't give it up for anything.

I suggest playing with it at the dealer before deciding.
    I didn't.. I just took the chance and I'm still happy that I did.
  • jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    I only use the MusicBox to play all the music I listen to. It really makes all other sources quite useless. However, I've noticed that when I filter the playlist (ie. select a "Mood" or filter on genre), the stereo doesn't allow me to play the list in random. If I press the SCAN/RPT button in normal mode, the MusicBox switches between track/playlist/all/repeat/mix. But when I'm playing a single Mood or a category, the SCAN/RPT button is disabled and I can't mix the playlist. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • go92651go92651 Member Posts: 1
    I finally stumbled into a way to randomize the entire music box or subsets.

Use the Search Song Details command. For example, if you leave the categories set to ALL and then do the search you'll end up with a random playlist of the entire catalog. I used category:Rock and now have a random list of 600 or so songs.

Finally being able to "Shuffle" the Music Box has added to an already great experience with the car.

btw, as you probably already know, the Search function can only be done when the car is at a stop, but the list stays active until you change it.

Good luck
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    I picked up my G35x without navigation package last week, and am loving it so far. But I tried the satellite radio last night and all I can seem to get are about 5-6 statiions. I read the manual and it says that using the scan button skips you to the next leading category station. But turning the tuning dial still skips me to the next leading category station, not the ones in between.

So I go from something like station 3, to 50, to 71, to 128 and can't get to the ones in the middle. How do I get to these?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Hey Bob... congrats on the new ride!!!
    I've seen some others with this same issue, but I have never seen it in mine.
    First thing I would try is hitting the Seek-Cat button once.
    I know that once it's set to category, your scrolling will just bring you through the different Sat cats, like Rock, Jazz, Kids, etc...
    Once you are on seek, the tuning knob should bring you from one station to the next in numerical order. (That's what mine does)

I hope that works for ya.
    I have Navi in mine and the function buttons are slightly different.
  • sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Yes...but have you also noticed that it doesn't seem to go thru ALL of the channels? I noticed that I can scan up to like the 170s or something like that and then it skips a bunch and then starts over. It seems to skip the sports sections (which is one of the only things I actually listen to on XM). :confuse:
  • larrydrumslarrydrums Member Posts: 6
    I picked up a new G35 6MT Sport with Nav and had the same experiences with XM. You need to activate the radio to get all the channels. You can do this via an 800# or the XM website (www.xmradio.com). Activation should be free and you have a 3 month free trial. You need to provide your radio number which displays on channel 0. I did this over the phone, and once I activated the radio I now get all XM channels.
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info, I figured it must be a start up/subscription thing.

I don't plan on keeping XM Sat radio in the long term, but I am curious about it. Once the 3 free months run out will it all cut off or will I get those same lead in stations that I'm getting now?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    More important than the nav itself is the option of the tech package...for which you need nav. Backup camera alone (To me) is worth the 1K, let alone the intelligent cruise and the articulating headlights. I passed on nav on the tl I just got out of...this time I took it. I also have a portable gps and mps player which work great. The music box feature is spectacular. Borrow a friends CD at work...walk out to the car..rip it, and you're done : )
    This sounds like something different.
    When you have not activated XM, you should be getting the preview channel, along with the emergency channel, and not much else.
    If you are getting some music channels and not others, you may have something else going on.

As for whether or not it's worth the price... I just got my renewal form in the mail last night...Ugh!
    $200- a yr for Nav traffic and XM radio!

I have the 06 MDX which also came with a 3 month XM subscription.
    I opted not to pay for more, as I had Sirius also installed.

XM started to send new offers once a month, and the lowest I was offered was $4.95 per month.
    I'm going to wait this out and hope for a lower offer.
  • kandbert1kandbert1 Member Posts: 9
    This there a reason that the 6 disc changer only shows the current song selected rather than all songs on the disc. The music box shows all songs on the selected album or artist. The in dash shows all songs on the cd.
  • hswhsw Member Posts: 26
    Can anyone verify that the CF card reader can only read and display around 600 songs?
    Confirmed
    512 songs and I believe, 256 folders.
  • yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi all

Am I wrong to assume the 6 disc changer can play mp3? When I load a CD-R (mp3) in the single feed it works, but it won't play when I load it in the changer. Your help would be most helpful. Thanks!
    The single disc plays MP3s, but the 6 disc changer does not support the MP3 format.
    It's stated in the manual somewhere... and yes, we're bummed out about it.
    Someone on this forum posted a "music matrix" which showed exactly what you could do with the music box, flash card, single CD in dash, changer in dash and the changer in the trunk and what each could do regarding playback/storage, recording and file structures and track info. VERY handy piece of paper...suggest you search all the threads to see if you can find it.
    Z
    That was me, "Mr. Pro G" :shades:

• jburlowskijburlowski Member Posts: 3
    I got my 2007 G35x about a month ago and have had the same program. After getting nowhere with the service techs at the dealership ("according to the factory, no one has reported a problem like this"), I made multiple calls to Infiniti Bluetooth service line. Finally I found a tech who didn't immediately blow me off, and was told that it is " a known problem" and requires a part replacement in the bluetooth unit.

My dealer has ordered the part and I am awaiting word when it can be installed.
    Well duh, I should've known! :) .... Mr. Pro-G to the rescue! (It IS an excellent cheat-sheet...)
    Z
  • yaeger1yaeger1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks guys, this is really helpful!!

I populated my 2gig CF card with songs with 180mb to spare. My computer said I had 312 songs in there and each folder has less than 90 songs each. However, some of my folders only display a couple of the tracks! I thought if we exceed the limit the audio player won't display some songs. Any thoughts?
  • lisamellisamel Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. The phonebook was losing entries and not dialing by voice.
    I had the same run around with the bluetooth hotline. They said it was a known issue, yet my dealer knew nothing.
    THey replaced my bluetooth unit and now it works like a charm.
    And..since I made such a stink over my 6 day old car not working, they tinted my windows for free!
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Big disappointment. Here I was ready to go buy a 16-GB CF and put all the MP3s on it. Oh well, everything else about the car I still love.

Anybody know if the CF reader is for Type-1, or Type-2, or whatever is the latest version?

Also am in my 3-month free XM Satellite period and am getting hooked. "Deeptracks' is great. Can't remember the last time I heard Procul Harem, Robin Trower, Eric Burden, etc., and not just their big hits.
    Anybody know if the CF reader is for Type-1, or Type-2, or whatever is the latest version?

It accepts both. ;)
  • yifeiyifei Member Posts: 12
    Hi everyone,

Could you please give me a clear answer that how to use Ipod mp3 player in G35X without Nav?

Thank you so much!
    Hi yifei... welcome to the forums!

I cannot help too much cause I hear that Navi/Non-Navi units differ a little but I'll try to start with the basics.

You can hook your I-Pod up to the Aux hookup within the console and then set your stereo to Aux.
    You can then use your controls on the I-Pod to scroll through, play, etc.

Any non-navi's here that can help further than my pathetic answer?
    Glad I found this forum. I originally sent this question to Infiniti "Contact Us', and pretty much got a worthless form letter reply (so much for Customer Service).

My inquiry was regarding the limitations of storage size for a Compact Flash card. I was hoping to get a larger one (8-GB) to maximize the MP3 storage. Their 'very poor' reply was check out the Manual. Well, the G35X manual never states size or type to buy (e.g., Type 1, II). Aggravating!

But back to this forum. I believe I read in a post that it would only recognize 512 songs. So at what point would I be wasting my money by buying a over-size CF card where songs would not be recognized by the G35X player?
    Has anybody else noticed the volume for an iPod connection (via the RCA plugs) is not at the levels of the other available sources on the G35?

I have the iPod volume limiter turned off. Still, I need to crank the G35 volume up somewhat for the iPod to match the other sources (e.g., CD, radio).