Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Audio Questions

Comments

• tolumtxtolumtx Member Posts: 3
    Hi:
    I got a 1 month G35 and just received a letter from XM radio to extend the services.. It is quite expensive.. does anyone received a special price for both services??? Thanks..
  • adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    Yes, either go to the website and see what deals there are or cancel the service and they'll send you a snailmail with a better deal.
  • sharkman78sharkman78 Member Posts: 10
    I have the 08 G35Xs nav, prem, sport with a 6 cd changer in the trunk. I know that it does not play MP3's and I know that my in dash player does play MP3's on a CD. So the question is will the in dash player play MP3's that I put on a DVD? And will the music box store MP3's?

thanks,

sharkman
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    Unfortunately, no and no. It won't play DVDs of any kind and the Music Box will only store music ripped from the CD player in the dash (no copying of MP3s from CD or CF).

kc
  • chill8chill8 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if the ipod integration (not the AUX cable) only comes with the 2008, and if so, can it be installed in the 2007? Has anyone done it?

Thanks a ton.
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    MY2008 was the first with the iPod integration. I doubt it could be retrofitted on a 2007 - both because of the missing cable and the stereo software/firmware to handle the iPod.

kc
  • chill8chill8 Member Posts: 2
    I spoke to an Infiniti service rep and he told me that it is true, you can't retrofit the 2007 to have the ipod integration similar to the 2008. However, he said you could do it after market. So I spoke to someone at Al and Ed's Autosound and they told me it would be around $350 for the part and installation. It would be controlled through the cd player controls, but I'm not sure how much "information" would be translated to the screen??

Here's the link:
    http://www.al-eds.com/product.php?productid=17145&cat=294&page=1

Has anyone out there attempted this yet??

Thanks.
  • codeman60codeman60 Member Posts: 6
    For those who've run into iPod problems, I just thought I'd toss out what I've learned with my 08 G35x w/Nav. My 8Gb 3G Nano had problems right from the start - battery drain with the car turned off and it would lock up when I disconnected it. So, I upgrade it to 1.1.3. That didn't help at all.

I also have an 160Gb Classic. With 1.0.3 on it, it works perfectly. I can leave it connected overnight without any battery drain. In fact, I haven't had any problems with it. I'm leary of putting 1.1.3 on it, so I'll probably hold off as long as I can on that.

I was kind of bummed about the Nano not working, as I was planning on keeping it in the car.
    Just an update...

This morning, I drove in to work with my Nano in use. When I parked, I switched to the radio, turned the radio off, then turned the car off. After unplugging the nano, it appeared to be locked up (connected screen), as usual. I tossed it in my my bag and went on in to work. After an hour, I remembered that I needed to reset the Nano. At first, the screen still said conneected, but as soon as I pressed the center of the wheel, the now playing screen displayed. It had been playing the whole time. Apparently, the Nano isn't receiving a signal to stop/pause, so it was still doing it's thing. It looks like that is the cause of the battery drain when it is left connected. But I can't think of a way to diagnose whether the stop/pause signal is not being sent or if it's the Nano that is simply not recognizing the signal. I suspect that it is the Nano, though, as my Classic has never had a problem. I always make sure that both "locks" engage on the cable, so I know that isn't the problem, and the Nano's port is clean.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have the premium package, so I'm using the dedicated iPod port/cable.
  • alang4alang4 Member Posts: 40
    I've read here that you're supposed to be able to watch DVD's on the in-dash NAV/GPS head....car in park, parking brake engaged. I'm not having any luck with this, does anyone have a suggestion?

I have an '08 G35x, with Premium and NAV.

Thanks!
  • coolguy8157coolguy8157 Member Posts: 29
    I dont think you can watch DVD's in the dash....but you can watch movies stored on your ipod or any portable DVD player by connecting the Yellow, Red, White cables in the center arm rest...
  • nissmo12nissmo12 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I have an '07 G35 Journey Sedan. I noticed the 2008 models come with a better ipod integration where you can control the ipod via the touchscreen and steering wheel controls. Since it is essentially the same user interface on the touchscreen; is there any way to add the same Apple 30 pin connector integration that the 2008 model has, to my 2007 model? If not, is there any aftermarket solution which will allow to control the ipod through my touchscreen? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • capopx3capopx3 Member Posts: 1
    The A/V display on my 2008 Infiniti G35X fails to display on occasion when I start the car. The radio, A/C-Heater, and other accessories work, but the screen does not display. I must stop the engine and restart the car (sometimes more than once) to get it to come on. The dealer has replaced the A/V unit twice and the problem still persists. Has anyone had the same problem?
  • lralra Member Posts: 13
    "The car must be in park with the E-Brake set for video to appear." Thanks to this post I was able to get the videos on my iPod Nano to play but this has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Who is going to sit in their car with the motor running, the car in park and the E-Brake engaged just to play a video on their Nano. Infiniti might as well have left this ability out if this is what it takes to play it.
  • lralra Member Posts: 13
    "I've read here that you're supposed to be able to watch DVD's on the in-dash NAV/GPS head....car in park, parking brake engaged" Alang4 I want you to think about what you just posted and ask yourself. Why are you in a car, parked with the parking brake engaged trying to watch a DVD?
  • silica1silica1 Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know if the new iPod Nano 4th generation is compatible with a 2008 G35? The new Nano was released last month (September), and I'm thinking of buying one primarily for use in my G35. I called Inifiniti and they didn't have any specific information on compatibility testing for the new iPod model.
    I found some information over on g35driver that indicates that the new 4th generation iPod Nano will work with the 2008 G35 iPod interface, but it will not charge the device. An adapter from a couple sources are in development to address this interface change (independent of the G35). Evidently, the iPhone 3G has the same issue.

Although disappointing, charging shouldn't be a huge issue for me for a Nano.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I have 08 G35XS with premium. I do like the IPOD interface and all, except, I cannot figure if there is a way to scroll through the songs faster. I have 1000+ songs. So when the system starts me at A-Songs and I want a song for example starting with letter M..using the Infiniti controller just takes forever to scroll through all the songs A-M...is there anything that can be done??
    The online scrollbar is faster sicne the up/down arrow does scrolls a page at a time instead of a song at a time, but with 4500+ songs, it's still too slow for me. My solution was to develop Smart playlists based on genre and ratings > 3 stars.
  • ffeelliixxffeelliixx Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I just purchased my 08 G35 last month and have just gotten done ripping about 150 cds to the music box hard drive. When I hit menu to choose the cd I want to hear in the Music Box, about 50% of the time, if not more, the text of my menu options will turn from white to grey and I cannot make a selection. I'm literally stuck listening to a cd that I can't change. This can last for minutes at a time before the text will turn from grey back to white, and I can continue with my menu options.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does the hard drive need to be replaced?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Never mind. I found the answer to my question on another forum. For those experiencing the same problem, the vehicle must be stopped in order to access the music box menu options for safety reasons. Sort of silly really given that you can scroll and choose using the steering wheel buttons. Seems analogous to making somebody stop the car to change the radio station. Anyway, I was relieved to find the answer.
  • brantlubrantlu Member Posts: 1
    I bought the new nano that is released this september and i have attached it to my 08' g35xs and it doesn't work. it can't play and won't recognize from the device. anyway this can work out?, any new adaptors or something??
  • bruce1852bruce1852 Member Posts: 2
    I've got the same problem on my '03 G35 sedan. Did you get an answer on how to fix this? other than going to the dealer. I got the same pricing - in the $500+ range...
  • bruce1852bruce1852 Member Posts: 2
    I just posted this same question to someone else (#330); did you ever get an answer on how to fix this without going to the dealer? otherwise, I got an estimate at the dealer for $500+, and I think that pretty stiff...
  • launlaun Member Posts: 1
    1st day with the G35x. Super psyched! I loaded CD's into the Music Box but can't seem to sort conveniently by artist or by album. It seems that I need to scroll through entire collection to find artist or album that I want. Can this be possible? Am I missing something?
  • asevilla0507asevilla0507 Member Posts: 1
    Hey has anyone tried or know if the compact flash will play videos on the nav screen?
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    any particular type
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    Wishlist...
    I wish they had put in a way to fast-forward within a song on CD, in Music-Box, or in Aux (i.e. , memory card). Sometimes I want to listen to a portion of a song over, and you have to play the whole song again. My older Jeep Grand Cherokee system allowed this.

Also wish there was a way to scroll through the tracks display without changing the song playing. This situation occurs as the display show 6-songs, of which one is playing, and you want to see which track is your favorite song, that unfortunately is not one of the 6-showing on the display, therefore it is on the next page. Only way to get there is to scroll down, which ends the current song playback.

And of course, not having the 'Select (Artist/Album)' menu disabled while the car is moving (apparently done for safety purposes). I have tried to convince myself of the safety factors, but find this disablement more of safety distractment than if it were available while moving. Why can't a passenger search for you, for instance? I actually look forward to 'red lights' at times because of this feature. But as luck would have it, I seem to always hit all the greens at those times. (Maybe this should become my secret for getting places quickly...just find a need to use 'Search'.)
  • coolguy8157coolguy8157 Member Posts: 29
    I believe you can Fast forward on a song by the seek buttons..just like searching for a radio station. :) Hope this helps
    > I believe you can Fast forward on a song by the seek buttons..just like searching for a radio station

Yes. You're right. Thanks for the tip.
  • rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    Yeah I HATE that you can't do anything really unless stopped. My passenger can do it in 95% of cars but not this one. NAV is crap too because of this, you have to pull over and stop to try to find a restaurant or gas station by searching. This is junk and to me makes the NAV and Music Box USELESS. They need some kinda feature where they unlock the block if a passenger is in the car, like what they do with airbags. Why can't they just have a warning about using while in motion and allow it? Hell ALL aftermarket NAVs let me access it while moving and so do most cars. If I had known this i would not have gotten the NAV, waste of $ now.
    It would be nice if you could choose the option of having the NAV/Musicbox enabled/disabled. They could record your response on the harddrive and then absolve themselves from responsibility.
  • jjackflashjjackflash Member Posts: 8
    I just noticed a weird thing happening the other day with the stereo in my '08 G35 Journey, Premium no Nav. It seems that when I start the car, no matter what music source I was listening to when I shut off the car (AM, FM or XM), upon starting the car, after a couple of seconds it switches over to the iPod source (though it doesn't start playing). That is to say, the iPod menu (songs, artists, playlists, albums, etc.) pops up on the display screen. It didn't do this the first couple of days that I had the car (I just bought it a week ago). Not that big of a deal, really, but it's annoying. Has anyone else encountered this? I tried shutting off the car and unplugging the iPod, and then when I restarted the car, it stayed with the radio station. But if the iPod is plugged in, it will switch over to the iPod.
  • adeeyladeeyl Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, ive recently bought a g35, and im struggling to connect my ipod nano to it. i want to connect the ipod such that the control is through the car's console and not through the ipod. would that mean using the composite cable connection? what devices would i require?
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    The black cable that came in the car's glove box. If you have the premium package this should work like a charm. If not consult your dealer.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    The only explanation I have is that your connection to the Ipod is loose? Cuz when you are listening to another source other that IPOD and then simply connect the Ipod, it automatically switches to the IPOD source. On my car, it starts at the last source I shut the car off with.
    thanks guys for the valuable advice. ill look for the black cable in the glove box (funny how ive not yet opened it). i hope this works.. thanks again!
    I think I figured it out. It will only do this when the iPod battery has run out. I still don't know WHY it does that (maybe to alert me to the fact?), but that's the only time it happens. It was through this that I discovered that the iPod itself doesn't shut off when you turn off the car. It stays on, though apparently without draining the car's battery (otherwise, the iPod would be getting recharged).
    As someone else mentioned, the car should have come with a connecting cable. Mine was originally in the trunk (in a plastic bag) when I test drove the car; however, the salesman put it inside the center console (where it plugs in) as part of the final prep of the vehicle before handing over the keys. This is all that is necessary to work the iPod through the steering wheel and console controls. I'm surprised that your salesperson didn't go through all of these things with you; mine did (and would have set up the Bluetooth system as well, except for the fact that I do not yet have a Bluetooth phone).
    After using my iPod Nano 4g for a few weeks, I admit it was a pain to recharge. I usually had to charge almost twice a week. I didn't notice any significant battery drain when the G35 was off.

The solution was an iPod power adapter by Scosche for an iPhone 3G. It can be purchased from a well known, large internet retailer. It worked perfectly with my 4g Nano. Now I only remove the iPod when I load more content. It's as if the iPod is part of the car now, and I don't think about it much.
    i have the same problem. not only did my salesperson not tell me about the cable or put it in the front, i don't have this connecting cable! :mad: though i would try to go back to the dealership and inquire, but can you please tell me what kinda cable is this? maybe i can look for it in some regular apple store (easier than going back to the dealership). for now i am using an AV cable to connect my ipod but i cant control the ipod through the car controls. Thanks!
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I bought my G35X in November There was a blue bag in my center console with the cable. The bag is marked;

HARN-AUX AUDIO SYSTEM
    NISSAN 284H2-1BA0B
    A2C53297014 Rev. 01
    Manufactured 10/07/08
    Made in China
    Plati 400 MM

There is than a BAR CODE with this number above it 370171920229

This is probably the nissan/Infiniti stock number

If you have and iphone 3G or a new IPOD you may want to read this msg 347
  • plograssoplograsso Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 G35 sedan with Bose stereo. The radio works fine when I start the car, but, after a variable period of time the right side front and back speakers have no sound output. It remains this way until I restart the car, all speakers work and then the right side will go out again. Is it the circuit board? the radio itself?
  • slurislurislurisluri Member Posts: 6
    If anyone has gotten the referral 150/500 promo, I am purchasing a new infiniti tomorrow and would like to go in it with someone. contact me at slurisluri@gmail.com thx
  • scottwinscottwin Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to get out of my lease of my '05 G35x and keep the same monthly payments. The only way I can do this is to get the G37x without the premium package (ie. "studio on wheels" audio system). Does anyone know how good/bad the standard audio system sounds? How does it compare with the standard system in the '05 G35x? I'm quite happy with my '05 audio which has plenty of clean highs and deep bass once speakers are broken in. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the sub-woofer in the '05 but I'm not sure if the standard system in the '07 comes with a sub, they only list it as a 6 speaker system (vs. 10 for the "studio on wheels" system). I'm not too concerned about the lack of the 6 disc changer, IPOD interface etc., I'm just concerned about the overall sound quality comparing listening to a CD between the 2 systems.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
  • scottwinscottwin Member Posts: 9
    Oh yeah, I should mention that I was at my dealer yesterday and they don't have any G37's on the lot, nor any that come in, without the premium package. Otherwise I would have figured this out on my own and did my own sound testing.
  • eagles1331eagles1331 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 G35. There is a cable in the glove box that my iPod connects to. It will charge the iPod but I cannot get it to play from the iPod. When I scroll through the "Radio" buttons, I get FM1, FM2, and AM but no satellite or auxilliary channels. What am I doing wrong? Is there further setup required to get my iPod to play through the car's audio system?
  • smithwick1smithwick1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there have a solution to this error being displayed on the audio system of my G35 Infinity? It only occurs when I attempt to play a CD.
  • wenkwenk Member Posts: 2
    i same problem like that. does anybody know what is wrong with?
  • wenkwenk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 G35 sedan with Bose stereo. The radio works fine when I start the car, but, after a variable period of time the right side front and back speakers have no sound output. It remains this way until I restart the car, all speakers work and then the right side will go out again. And this happen only on playing CD. Never happen when i am listening the radio.
  • pavan_123_indpavan_123_ind Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just encountered this problem with my G35 coupe today. My battery was dead and had to jump start it but while trying to jump start the cables were incorrectly connected. But later it was corrected and jump started and the car worked fine except that the console is not responsive and the AC is stuck at 75 with no controls responding. The windows and the door locks work and the keyless lock also works. Please let me know what you have done to get this resolved. My email is "pavan_123_ind@yahoo.com". Thanks in advance

Appreciate your help.

Regards,