Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Gas Mileage

richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
hi all! what is your average gas mil. on yr Vette out there? On paper, it says 28 hgwy, but i highly doubt it. This means, the Vette is more gas-efficient than the Z or even the new G35 sedan :confuse: :confuse: Please advise. Thanks

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Mine has gotten 28.0 at 75 to 79 mph (4 over the speed limit).

Base model/motor with 6 speed automatic. Car had about 2,000 miles on it.

People have reported over 30 when driven conservatively at 60-65.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    My overall average, in 5,360 miles, is 22.48 MPG. This is primarily commuting, in and out of MidTown Atlanta. NOT conducive to best fuel mileage.

I took my first long trip in the Corvette over last Thanksgiving. Northeast of Atlanta ( Duluth ) to Carrabelle, FL – and back.

Trip: Approx. 725 miles, mostly over 2 travel days.

Average MPG = 28.25 ( Excel & DIC nearly identical )

My 2005 Grand Prix GXP ( 5.3L V8, 3600#, DoD 4-speed automatic) when well broken in managed approx. 24 MPG, on exactly the same trip and time of year, with essentially the same load & road conditions.

This trip even included a couple of ‘demonstration’ acceleration runs: 15 MPH to 95 or so. NOT exactly the best conditions for fuel economy . . .

Interesting – particularly given that the GXP’s Highway estimate is exactly the same as the C6 automatic – GXP is 18 \ 27 vs C6 = 17 \ 27.

The one time I have had an opportunity to try for maximum, steady state MPG under near ideal conditions was on this trip to Florida.

On a deserted stretch of Fla. 319 between Sopchoppy ( no, I am not making up that name ) and Lanark Village. Nearly level ( only a few feet above Gulf level ) and generally straight, almost no traffic & with only a few gentle curves. I tried several steady speeds. At 60 to 65 – 70 MPH, on cruise control, once the set speed was established - the instant MPG display would quickly stabilize at 32 ( plus or minus 1 ) I did not dare trying any higher speeds, as this is a rural 2 lane road & often patrolled.

Conditions: Roughly 60 degrees & clear – A/C off.
    Car 2007 C6 Coupe A6

- Ray
    Happy with that fuel efficiency!
    2022 X3 M40i
    Yep, we own economy cars.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Gas mileage is awesome mainly because of the tall 6th gear.
    Z06 here, and I routinely get 27+ at 70-80 mph.
    Followed my sons towing a race car on a trailer to Michigan (interstates), average about 60mph---got 32+ mpg.
    I DO drive an economy car!
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    I think having a C5 vs. 400hp Z06 or C6 gives just another
    little advantage in MPG. I've gotten 30mpg on the DIC going from Fernley, NV back to the SF bay area, now admittedly that is a lot of down hill but I wasn't going slow either. Best mileage using the calc and refills was 28.5 for a 500 mile round trip out to Yosemite and back. Then again I get around 7mpg when I go on track. My local average DIC is usually 22/24 with both freeway and local streets, gosh, sitting at lights will kill mileage.
    Randy
  • baldeglbaldegl Member Posts: 16
    The 28 mpg on the highway is a realistic number, HaHave occassionally done better with cruise control on even with the top down in my 2006.
    What kills the MPG on the C5 is running at night, lights up
    is probably going to cut it by almost 2mpg based on what I
    see.
  • jiminthehillsjiminthehills Member Posts: 60
    "...gosh, sitting at lights will kill mileage."

I had to laugh at that one...I thought the same thing just idleing while getting out to get the mail from the mailbox. After I got back in the car a couple minutes later, the DIC dropped a half a mile per gallon average....

My 2004 Z06 seems to get a tad less than you folks have described here on the freeway. I'm running 32PSI in the tires, too.

On a recent trip to Vegas from the LA area, I averaged 27 on the way there vs 27.7 on the way back, doing 70 to 80 MPH. The ambient temperature on the way back was from 95 to 60 degrees, with a slight headwind leaving Vegas.

Since there wasn't anything else to do but watch the rear-view mirror and the other poor guys being pulled over by the CHP, I started experimenting w/ trying to maximize the mileage. The difference on the way back could be attributed to running in neutral on the down-hill sections to see what that might do.

All in all, it's one fine economy car!!!

(I should add that the A/C was on most of the time, although I even experimented w/ turning that off on the steepest up-hill sections, too.)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I have a 04 coupe with automatic tranny. Out the door of the showroom the car averaged 31 mpg at highway speed. If I run between 65-70 I alway average over 30. We don't need no stinkin hybrids. Around town I am running about 25 mpg, but of course, I am usually doing cruising in this car. See you at the Woodward Dream Cruise.
  • dbr3nnandbr3nnan Member Posts: 14
    Corvettes getting good mileage is nothing new... my '90 gets high 20's on the highway. Just doin' our bit for the environment!! ;)
  • vettevervettever Member Posts: 20
    Holy cow, I couldn't believe it but on a 250 mile trip (speeds between 50 and 100, 100 only briefly) I got 31 MPG.
    Tires just all aired up to 33 psi and a new air filter. Can you say economy car!
    Now mileage is all about set up and the 6sp C5 or C6 is going
    to do amazing things. In my stock engine C5 coupe at 1500
    rpm I'm doing just below 70mph and gettin just over 30mpg.

Yesterday I drove two hours to Thunderhill Raceway (137miles)
    and got 31mpg on the tank I left with when filling up at the
    last station before the track. I then got about 7.5mpg for
    the 100+ track miles I did and again got 30+ on the way home.
    I wouldn't run at 33lbs cold pressure.

What I've read, you are going to get significant wear in the center of the tires if you constantly run this high a pressure.

The recommended 30 is better.

Oh, and I recently set a new record for my car. In the southern Colorado mountains, from Durango north at speeds of about 45mph, for about half a tank, I got 33mpg! Another half tank on the trip gave 32mph. No AC, much of this was downhill out of the mountains.
    I would agree with the lower pressure recommendation. I run
    higher pressure at the track to combat side wall roll over,
    but on the road I run down to 28 cold and still get extra
    center line wear. This is usually offset by the extra wear
    on the edges I get at the track.
    More mileage while wearing out $1500 tire sets is probably
    not a paying option.
    Best method of improving mileage as we all know is to slow
    down. Problem with that is how long a trip takes. Now I
    don't mind a few extra minutes locally when I plan for it,
    but on a long trip it can makes hours of difference. Ten
    miles per hour for a 7 hour trip puts you in about an hour
    earlier and if that costs 2 mpg, then it's under $10 cost.
    That is one of the cheaper hours I'll ever get.
    Randy
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I made a trip to East Tn. this weekend (800 miles) and got an average of 30 mpg. @ 75 mph. in my 2007 C6. This is a great car to drive on a trip.
  • silverback4silverback4 Member Posts: 3
    My A4 2003 coupe got 29.5 mpg straight highway, and in the lower 20's around town with the stock 2.73 rear. Recently, I changed to a 3.42 ZO6 rear for better performance.The car definitely is faster, but the mileage has dropped several mpg. It's still better than any other performance car out there. If you're worried about mpg, by a Prius. If you want $ for $ performance, and pretty good mpg, get a vette.
  • caronecarone Member Posts: 1
    The gas mileage seems very good for an 8 cylinder car.
    I've been staying away from 8 cyl engines because for me - gas mileage is a big
    consideration. I want to put miles on a car but don't have unlimited funds for gas.
    Why would a vette have better mileage than a G35, Z, & many other 6 cyl cars?
    Are the gas mileage results that anyone is getting calculated by the car's
    computer - or by manual calculation?
    (How does the car gas mileage calculator work?).

With the gas mileage that people are getting, maybe I'll take my civic si money
    & put it towards a vette (now - how about insurance costs)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    A large part of the reason is that the Corvette is geared for reasonable fuel mileage at cruise. Approx. 1550 RPM at 70 MPH in both the M6 and A6. This allows the V8 to “loaf” at stead highway speeds.

City driving & ( many ) bursts of WOT will absolutely result in poor fuel mileage.

Although the DIC in my Corvette has proven quite accurate, my calculations and posted MPG are always the result of plugging actual miles & actual gallons into Excel. Overall average right now ( after over 20,000 miles ) on my 2007 A6 Coupe stands at: 21.8 MPG And that includes a generous portion of stop \ slow traffic driving each week – commuting in & out of MidTown Atlanta.

My best full tank was with my Daughter & long weekend luggage in the car on a drive from near Atlanta to the Gulf Coast \ Panhandle of Florida and back: 29.04 MPG and 467 miles.

Regarding insurance – my Corvette ( Daily Driver & approx. 15,000 miles per year ) actually costs me about $25/year ** LESS ** than my previous car – a Grand Prix GXP ) . . .

Good luck.
    - Ray
    Never expecting Civic SI city MPG . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The key to good mileage as noted is to stay off the throttle. Also, I think the 6sp
    will get better mileage than the auto, which has two rear end ratios. One is pretty
    good for mileage and the other is not very good in the auto. This is for C5's but is
    probably close for the c6 as well. My best trip was close to 30mpg from Fernley,
    NV to the SF bay area, which of course has lots of down hill :), and that was pencil
    and paper calc. Mileage drops off as you start to push past 70mph, as would be
    expected.
    Randy
  • dwarfl0rddwarfl0rd Member Posts: 12
    I have a '09 Auto Coupe C6 Vette with 5,xxx miles on it. I just took a 1,3xx mile trip from Va. to TN and back and I averaged 31MPG for the entire trip. Wait till this car is broken in! I also averaged 70.4MPH. This car gets great Hwy fuel economy because its revs are so low. My car has 430+HP and is the most efficient Hwy car I own. City driving is not so good. Im in Stop/Go traffic the whole 12 miles of my commute to work and get about 18MPG, which is not bad at all for that kind of driving.
  • gearup72gearup72 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2008 corvette base with Auto, F55, and dual mode exhaust.

I get 25 to 27 MPG on the highway at speeds of 70-80.

I get 20 to 22 MPG in mixed driving.
  • vettevervettever Member Posts: 20
    Anyone use regular or mid grade? I had to put reg in my 02 ZO6 and it ran fine. Even hard accelration from 900 RPM in 6st, no lugging or pinging.
    Ah, but the question is, why no pinging? The C5's and most newer cars have
    ECU's that register the grade of the fuel burning and when they get the news
    that the octane is down, they just detune the car to run with less zip. Not
    bad for the engine or anything. You just aren't getting the same performance
    you would get with 91 or higher grade. Then again, for fun you can add 100
    octane unleaded at the track to top up the tank, about 1/4 tank to average up
    to 93 octane or 1/2 tank to get just past 95 octane, it does make a difference.
    Just make sure you never get to the leaded race gas, expensive to replace
    the cat's.
    Randy
  • gmscamgmscam Member Posts: 7
    My baby averages 17-19 city and log hauls 29 give or take a a mile. Don't really watch it that often or notice changes with speed but that's pretty consistant for her when I do check. Glad to know I'm not crazy when I tell people what I'm getting they say can't be.
  • dchalkydchalky Member Posts: 4
    Actually, C5's cannot determine grade of fuel, whether it be E10, non-ethanol, 87,89,91 or 93 octane. What does happen is if engine knock sensors detect any knock, the ecm will resort to using a lower timing table, in effect, pulling timing until knock is gone. The ecm contains two timing tables. Every day driving and no knock, engine will use more agressive of the two tables. If engine identifies knock, it will default to lower table and actually start to learn and blend both low and high timing tables until max timing can be used without knock. Over time and with no knock, engine will try to return to using higher/more agressive timing tables.
  • kentmagnusonkentmagnuson Member Posts: 4
    Wife and recently took control of our first Corvette. Is a 2010 LT2 Coupe, Blade Silver, 6 speed manual with Callaway shift linkage, upgrade chrome wheels, all body-color attachments (door handles, trunk spoiler light) and grill, exhaust and side cove inserts of the screen. Beautiful setup by Harchelroad Motors, Imperial,NE. Thanks folks. Well done. We get great fuel mileage of 34mpg at 65mph and 25mpg at 80mph. Is as much fun to look at, for us, as to drive. We love the car. Takes some jockeying to get the seat comfy on driver side, being one with long legs. At any rate, this is huge fun for both of us. I hope many of you can recall your first...Vette.
  • kentmagnusonkentmagnuson Member Posts: 4
    Wife and I driving our first Vette. Is a 2010 LT2 coupe with manual tranny. We just got the car a week ago. Getting 34mpg at 65mph and 25mpg at 80mpg. We are sure surprised and happy with that.
    Ok, after your 4th post, I've got to tell you it's a 2LT, not a LT2.
  • cruisinloucruisinlou Member Posts: 27
    I have had several cars with V6 engines and most under 230 Hp,My last one was a 2008 Pontiac Coverta hardtop which gave me about 25 mpg hwy and about 16 city
    I traded it in for a 2003 Corvette convert with a 6 speed, the only downside is that it is not a winter car like the pontiac could be with FWD but I love the power and better gas mileage that I get with the Corvette and since I can use my wifes 2009 Pontiac Vibe with AWD I let the Corvette hibernate for a few months and I will drive the Corvette from March until November (weather permitting) I love the trunk room I get with the Corvette even with the top down, the pontiac has no trunk room with the top down and only the back seat for storage this was a good trade. :)
    I just bought a 2003 Corvette (not a Z06) and have been putting mid grade gas in it which I believe is 89 octane I have not felt any knocking or anything that makes me feel I am losing power.
    I realize that I may have had some premium gas in the tank when I filled it with the mid grade so I am going to experiment after I awaken my car from hibernation and begin using midgrade and then going down to 87 octane just to see what develops.
    I believe that no damage can happen to the car unless you get your gas in a foreign country.
    I tried 87 octane gas in a Pontiac Solstice with the turbocharged engine and it still worked well but if your car usually uses Premium gas because of the power you will lose a little power by dropping the grades but if you drive in city traffic a lot you will hardly notice the difference.
    I just bought a Corvette this past November, It is a 2003 convertible with a 6 speed manual and my first Corvette.
    I am 68 years old and hope that I can continue to enjoy this car for many years to come, I told my 34 year old son to be nice to me and he may get this Corvette someday and I know he loves the car.
    The gas mileage is very good and the power of this car is awesome at least my wife tells me this when I take her for drives.
    I really wish that I didn't wait so long to buy a 'Vette but mortgages,children,etc got in the way so I can see why GM says the Corvette was aimed at the 55+ year old crowd.
    Being that this is my first Corvette a 2003 I was surprised that the 6 speed floor shift has a computerized shifting that at low rpm's the computer will shift you from 1st gear right over to 4th gear skipping the 2nd and 3rd gear as a way to gain better gas mileage and satisfy CAFE standards.
    There is a warning that if you try to go into 2nd gear at low rpm's you may damage the transmission although as long as your rpm's are high enough as in competition you can go through all 6 gears without a problem.
    In most city driving I find that unless I really need the smoking takeoff the shift to 4th gear places me in the gear that is best suited for city driving.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    That feature was developed to avoid the EPA mandated gas guzzler tax. It is easily defeated by a 98 cent Radioshack resistor, or a 20 buck aftermarket doodad. You can google "CAGS defeat" if interested in more information.
    vcheng, thanks for the info on defeating the 1st to 4th shift but I wonder why anyone would want to defeat that feature when all you need to do is raise your RPM when shifting, although I guess being able to shift through all gears without thinking about raising your RPM,s is what most people are used to.
    I wonder if defeating that feature might cause some problems down the road?
    The CAGS override has been around for years and I've not heard of it causing problems. There is also fuse-pulling, which I think can cause problems because the fuse controls other things.

I think you just pull a plug off the tranny and plug a little gizmo into the connector, and you can then get to 2nd and 3rd at any rpm.
    Thanks bolivar for the info. I may try to defeat this 1 to 4 shift item after I drive my 'Vette for a few thousand miles to see if this is what I would want and after talking to other 'Vette owners.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    I have owned a 2003 since new, and I would advise you to get the CAGS defeat gizmo. The reason is, without it there are situations, such as in traffic, where you are forced to stay in 1st longer than you want to because you can't get enough speed to shift out without being forced into 4th. As much torque as this car has, you can handle 2nd pretty much from dead slow, but it can't handle 4th without essentially losing your ability to accelerate. The CAGS is a cheap and easy way to avoid the dreaded gas guzzler tax, but it can screw you up royally in some circumstances.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Have to beg to differ, I've got 103k on a 92 C5 coupe with 6 sp that I also ran
    around race tracks for most of 5 years and I've never had much of an issue with
    the skip shift. It is like anything else you 'learn', I know when to stay in 1st and
    that is always fun, given an after market exhaust :), then again I do a lot of 1st
    to 3rd shifts and almost always get just beyond 2200 rpm so that isn't an issue
    either.
    As for the CAGS defeat not causing long term issues, I'd have to agree as I spend
    time with other Vette drivers who track their cars, many of which have had the
    plug in for years and never heard of an issue.
    Randy

Still getting 22+ combined around town and local hwys.
  • bryan1968bryan1968 Member Posts: 2
    Could someone please help with a few questions related to gearing and fuel economy?

On the 2003 50th Anniversary Edition with the 4sp automatic and 2.73's in the back, how much would the rpms increase in 4th gear if I replaced with 3.15's? Will there be a noticable difference in quickness? Also, will fuel economy suffer greatly?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • bryan1968bryan1968 Member Posts: 2
    Could someone please help with a few questions related to gearing and fuel economy?

On the 2003 50th Anniversary Edition with the 4sp automatic and 2.73's in the back, how much would the rpms increase in 4th gear if I replaced with 3.15's? Will there be a noticable difference in quickness? Also, will fuel economy suffer greatly?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    I know several that put performance rear ends into A4 C5's and they all loved
    the extra grunt off the line. I does take a toll on mpg however, can't say how
    much but I'd say on a street car that isn't set up for drags you would probably
    not like it after a while of driving. imho
    Randy
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I just bought a new 2010 Corvette base coupe w/automatic. Computer showed first tank of gas averaged 20 MPG (Chevron 91 octane premium with 10% ethanol) and mixed driving. However, the dealer set the tire pressure high (34 lbs cold). I have since lowered tire pressure to 30 lbs cold as recommended. Have you had a chance to try 100% gasoline vs 10% ethanol blend? Did it make any difference?
    Ethanol is one of my current bit*hes. I feel I've lost about 2mpg on all my cars because of ethanol. This includes my 2007 Corvette.
  • newvibebuyernewvibebuyer Member Posts: 14
    I'll concur with those that don't see the need to defeat the CAGS. Mine forces a 1-4 shift when I short-shift it at low rpm's as I move through a parking lot, for example. Otherwise, I rev it to 2k and it doesn't force the 1-4 shift. According to the owner's manual, my dash was supposed to have a "1-4" light that came on when appropriate and also an arrow light to let me know when it was best to shift for economy (which I would ignore anyway ...), but neither feature works. Maybe the manual was printed before these features were eliminated?? I bought the car used, and it does force the low-speed 1-4 shift.

2008/C6, 20k, 6-speed manual
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    if my camaro-based knowledge is any use, then the rpm increase would be precisely by ratio 3.15/2.73 and yes it should be noticeably quicker.
    and highway fuel economy will likely drop by approximately the ratio 2.73/3.15 .
This discussion has been closed.