Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima vs Toyota Camry

car111car111 Member Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in Nissan
Hello,
I am comparing new 2007 Altima with 2007 Camry in terms of handling, reliabity, safety ,depreciation, etc. If anyone has any input, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Strangely I have a 2007 CamryXLE V-6. I get a new car almost every year. The car I am considering is the new altima. I have done a lot of research, test drove one, and consider the Altima to be an excellent choice top replace my Camry. The Camry is a fine car, well built, very quick, a nice interior, but just isn't as tight in steering as the Altima. The Camry also gets excellent gas mileage dispite the large V-6. I can get 30 plus on the highway and 20 in town. The altima has a bigger trunk, but smaller back seat. It has come down to steering, color of the car, and looks for me. The Camry is a keeper if I don't find what I want in the Altima. It will not disappoint me to hold onto the Camry for longer. I did tint the windows and put new wwider tires on it so it looks very nice. I put about 24K miles on a car a year, and it is really my offcie so I like what I'm driving in. You'll just have to ask yourself what is more importanat to you, I truly believ you can't go wrong with either, but if mileage, quickness, refinement, and interior are important then the Camry. If steering, looks and trunk space the Altima. Good luck, either way, "enjoy the ride".
  • car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks. Please see my input today under the discussion : BMW vs Altima. Don't know if the CVT that makes the car go faster or the softer pedals ? Find the Camry easier to maintain the speed and also very responsive, especially on slopes.
  • vmokhutovvmokhutov Member Posts: 23
    Hello 2007 altima owners. It looks like altima's ground cleanace is lower than camry's. How do you find it's groud clearance when laden with 4-5 people and something in the trunk. Looks like it's gonna touch the smallest bumps on the road?
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    "I have a 2007 CamryXLE V-6. ... The Camry is a fine car, ..., but just isn't as tight in steering as the Altima."

Why not get the Camry SE V6 instead of the XLE if you wanted a taunt suspension and "tight" steering?
    Well an SE Camry may have done the trick and your point is well taken. Probably thought at the time he XLE was fine as it was such an improvement over my Avalon.
  • sailingbonniesailingbonnie Member Posts: 1
    After 18 years and six CamryXLE's, I made the switch to the Altima 2.5SL. Since my 96 Camry, I have felt the quality of the car has gone down: the steering is loose, leather cheap, more road noise . I had 4-cylinder engines and was very happy with the mileage.

I just got the Altima and am very happy. The car is tighter, the back seat is comfortable, the leather seats are leather and not the cheap leather trim of the Camry. It is quieter and rides well. I like the larger gas tank.

I am disappointed in the radio (minor), not sure if I like the push button start from a safety aspect. and it is too early to know if the mileage will be as great as the Camry.

Both cars are good choices but I am happy with my change to the Nissan.
  • neil0311neil0311 Member Posts: 8
    Well this thread is very timely considering that I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6, and I also was within minutes of trading it for an 07 Nissan Altima SE 3.5. My Camry has had its share of issues, including needing a replacement transaxle due to the shift flare, so I've been considering alternatives.

I went to my local Nissan dealer and test drove an Altima. The car was nice. It was so nice that I took it home for the night and drove it around (with the dealer's consent) to get a more in depth feel. In the end, I decided that the difference wasn't worth taking a hit for thousands of dollars. The fact that the Altima needs 91 octane fuel kind of sealed the deal. A few mpg less is one thing, but that combined with 20 cents a gallon more was more than I was prepared to do.

The one thing I have to take issue with though is the comment regarding the leather seats. I found the seats in the Altima to be stiff and "thin" feeling, whereas I think the leather in the Camry is much softer and more "luxurious" feeling. The seats in my Camry are a lot more comfortable. The Camry feels a lot more "solid" than the Altima to me as well. Bear in mind that I want to ditch the Camry and was prepared to buy the Altima, so I have no agenda.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I almost bought a camry too. I don't think either of them realy stands out that much from the other,(both are quality cars) and would have been happy with either. In the end, I more or less picked the atima simply because Nissan's have been very good to me, and I like the nissan dealership more than the toyota dealership. And a little bit because toyota's are everywhere now. Its nice to be a little different.
    Having now owned my Altima for 3 weeks and have 2,000 miles behind me, I had 20,000 on the '07 Camry when I traded it in, I think both these cars are great, but the Camry is more elegant inside, the Altima handles better, but the ride is firm and at times jittery. The Bose stereo is awesome, but so was the Toyota JBL system. The Altima is a lot sexier, and I just felt a bit old manish in the Camry. I have experimented with the premium vs. regular gas debacle. I have had several cars that "require" premium, the Altima recommends it. The car isn't going to explode if you put regular in. If you burn regular, still get a tank of premium about every fifth fill up. I never get spark knock, I do lose some horsepower, and I also lose about 2 miles to the gallon. But I save at the pump about 20 cents per gallon as you suggested. Both these cars are very nice, but the push-button start and seamless CVT tranny sold me on the Altima.
  • car111car111 Member Posts: 24
    hi, what is your safety concern with push button. i am thinking if I should get that in camry - "seems it can interfere with pacemakers, etc".
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I woudl have to agree with you. I owned a 89 Camry LE, 93 V6XLE, 97 Avalon and 07 Camry and Toyota quality is no where near what it used to be. I noticed the decline in the 97 Avlaon it was not quite as good as the 93 Camry, which was built like a tank. The 07 Camry felt poorly assembled and like all the parts were loosely fitted in comparison. Interior squeaks and rattles were bad due to sloppy design in the fit and finish dept. I have driven the 07 Altima twice now both times 2.5 SL with tech package and find it to be an awesome machine. I think the Bose is as good or maybe better than the JBL and both are far better than the wimpy 5.1 ELS in my current 07 Acura TL. The place the Altima looses ti for me is in the wimpy, numb no feedback or road feel steering. I find the Camry provided betetr steering than the Altima and Nissans should be a bit more sporty than the Toyotas. I coudl easily see me going form the TL to an Altima if they get the darn steering to haev some feedback and road feel.
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    I took a look at the Camry when I was shopping - both the XLE and SE versions. Not only did it not come near to the Altima in my assessment - it was 4 or 5 down the list when it came to final ranking and voting with my wallet.

The handling on the XLE is boatlike and floaty. The SE is quite a bit better, but quite a bit behind the more sporty sedan offerings (Mazda 6, Altima SE, TSX). The V6 motor in the Camry is strong, but the experience (like everything about the Camry) is muted and unexciting. You could have a small sewing machine under the hood for all the audible delight it offers.

Toyota is a company that holds driver isolation as a virtue and driver involvement as a vice - an outlook that is evident in everything about the Camry. If your outlook is the same, it should be a very good choice.

Jaeger
  • arthwerksarthwerks Member Posts: 14
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Just joined and wanted to chime in. I fuel up Nissans everyday. Yes, some Nissans do say on the inside of the fuel filler door "Premium fuel reccomended for maximum performance" but we put 87 octane in them everyday and according to Nissan, that is just fine. Look at it this way. You can get the 5.6 liter V8 in a Pathfinder in 2008. It has the label on the gas door. Yet the same V8 comes in a Titan and Armada with no label. Another thing to remember is, at least when it comes to the coupes, these are 2008 mileage ratings you see on the sticker. All cars will go down as soon as the 2008 models come out. If you go to www.fueleconomy.gov you can see what stickers will read on the 2008 models. It seem that Nissan will be the big winner next year. Most models will have more power and better gas mileage.
  • mikolasmikolas Member Posts: 1
    So... I'm rather new to cars and know very little about them. I've just got my license and will be choosing between two cars. I would rather get a used car as my first, but my mother is insisting on getting a new car because I will be driving it in the snowy region of Buffalo and she wishes it to last longer so that my sister can use it in about 3-5 years. Based on those 3 factors, that one I am inexperienced, two I'll be using it in snow, three it will need to last long enough so that it won't break down on my sister, I'm not sure which car to pick.

The choices are 2007 Camry LE vs 2007 Altima 2.5S .

From the research I've gathered or "general knowledge", the Camry is suppose to be far more reliable and longer lasting. The convenience package that it comes with seems far better then the altima's. But I've heard reports about some engine issues/ acceleration delay in the 2007 model. The 2007 altima however, seems more appealing with the keyless entry, CVT transmission, and from what I heard, a pretty powerful torque/horse power for a 4 cylinder car.

I ask you guys who are far more experienced and knowledgeable, which would you prefer if you had to pick between the two, and why? I personally like the Altima, but my mother (who is paying for much of it), had some bad experiences with Nissan with our old time Nissan quest, thus doesn't trust the reliability of Nissan. If the reliability of Nissan is that poor, I would take the camry to ensure my sister has a safe car when she keeps it.

P.S. Have any of you driven them and know the actual mpg of the two cars? From what I've seen, the numbers they give in the advertisements aren't accurate. Thanks!
    If your buying for reliability and longevity, then go for the camry. not that the altima won't last a long time, or aren't reliable, but toyota owns reliabitly. But, if you wan't a car with some soul, thats actully fun to drive.....then get the altima.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Well I had a chance to rent a 07 Camry 4cylinder couple months back. At first, I was so excited that I can rent one but once I started driving it, it was the most dissapointing experience ever. Trust me, I am not that picky when it comes to cars because I travel every week and rent different vehicles every time. Even a Hyundai Sonata or the Pontiac G4 is better than this camry. Of course the Altima is even better!!! The 4cyl Camry I drove is so sluggish and sloppy, it felt like I was in my old 1995 Corolla. I do like the styling on the outside, the inside is boring and the handling didn't match the styling cues.
  • kvwaterkvwater Member Posts: 3
    I've owned 2 Nissans. A 1991 300 ZX and a 1996 Maxima. They were both extremely reliable. Just the normal wear and tear stuff like breaks and tires. I recently test drove the Camry and the Altima. The Camry was nice, but boring. My father has a Camry. The Altima was fun and had features that the Camry didn't. Like keyless entry and CVT. I'm currently driving a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I purchased it because I live in the Syracuse NY area. Very close to Buffalo. I don't know where you live now but snow is an issue up here! SUV's are great in snow but I personally felt more control driving in a car.I recommend getting snow tires and a standard shift if you know how to use it. A standard shift is great for driving in the snow and fun for when the weather is warm. Good luck!
    I've made a couple of prior posts on the topic as I've owned both. I did test drive the 4cyl Altima and was impressed with the car. You should read consumer reports of about 3-4 months ago that did the comparo of these two cars. They loved the Altima and spoke very highly of the 4 banger. The Camry is truly reliable but lacks sole. It's basic transportation at its best. The Quest did have problems, but Altimas have faired much better. Sounds like you're fairly young........get the Altima and still get great gas mileage and have a car with some sexiness!
  • victrolajazzvictrolajazz Member Posts: 75
    "You should read consumer reports of about 3-4 months ago that did the comparo of these two cars. They loved the Altima and spoke very highly of the 4 banger."

Message #381 in 2007 Altima:

For the March issue, Consumer Reports magazine tested five family sedans (Kia Optima, Saturn Aura, Pontiac G6 and Chrysler Sebring), titled it Leaping Ahead, with the sub-title The Redesigned Nissan Altima Accelerates to the Top of Our Ratings. Also, they tested both four cylinder and V-6 versions in this comprehensive test. The four cylinder won almost all the acceleration tests--only beat by .2 of a second by the Saturn Aura 45-65, had the best gas mileage of all. The V-6 won ALL the acceleration tests (0-60 6.4), (45-65 3.9), 1/4 mile 15, and got best mileage of all tested. It begins by saying "The Altima 3.5 SE virtually ties with the Honda Accord V6, our top-rated family sedan. The four-cylinder Altima 2.5S is relatively refined. Both are coupled to a smooth continuously variable transmission, which helps them attain commendable fuel economy." CR continues: "Both engines deliver strong acceleration yet get commendable fuel economy. The 175-HP 2.5-litre four cylinder accelerates better than some V6s and returned 25 MPG overall on regular fuel. Although it requires premium fuel, the smooth and punchy 270-HP 3.5-litre V6 returns 23 MPG (I'm actually hoping for better) overall, comparable to some four-cylinder engines. Both are mated to a smooth CVT. Braking performance is very good. Both halogen and HID low beams perform well but have a sharp cutoff." About the interior it says "The Altima has nicely textured, well-fitting materials. Drivers have plenty of room in the cockpit, even with the optional sunroof. The steering wheel has an awkward telescope adjustment and coarse tilt settings. While rear-visibility is hampered by a high rear deck, the 3.5 SE's optional backup camera works well. The Altima's bright back-lighted gauges are easy to read. The controls are straightforward and the optional navigation system is easy to use." I will have to say, on my first highway trip, I did find the seats harder than usual, as some others have pointed out, but not badly so.
  • altimate2007altimate2007 Member Posts: 1
    The reason the 2007 Altima's steering feels that way is that Nissan is shooting for less torque steer otherwise known as the steering wheel which has a mind of its own when lighting the tires or doing other maneuvers. I own a 2007 Altima 3.5SE and love it. To me it accelerates, steers and handles like a BMW and cost far less than the comparable 3 Series. Road feel is great, the car is quieter than past offerings but not so quiet that you feel isolated from the road. Whoever rates the Camry above the Altima clearly has not DRIVEN this vehicle and either drives like granny and likes a numb feel suspension wise,or is just looking for a plain Jane daily driver. This car looks classy, has soul and begs you to DRIVE it. the stock sound system is ok, I usually upgrade that sooner or later any way. Go to a nearby dealer and tell them you are interested in test driving this car and really DRIVE THE CAR. Don't just tickle it or as they say, drive it like you own it! :D
  • refinedrefined Member Posts: 3
    My 4cyl. 2007 Altima purchased about two weeks ago was about $200 less than my comparably equipped (automatic) 2003 Altima 2.5S. That summarizes exactly how I feel about
    this car. In a word: WOW! The redesign is excellent inside
    and outside -- firmness of seating notwithstanding. Sportier
    than Toyota Camry and without the acceleration issues many
    consumers have ascribed to Camry. What's not to like about the 2007 2.5S Altima? The updated styling, automotive technology (CVT transmission), and affordable financing
    options available through Nissan are all -- first rate!

I won't bash the competition, however, I 'm not aware of a better car anywhere for a working man's price.
    You forgot to mention the Ikey
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    My wife and I thought th Camry interior was too plain. Like a Buick. No personality. We loved the leather interior on the 2.5SL and a test drive confirmed that the steering feel was better, and the power from the 2.5 was far superior to Toyotas now dated 2.4L which is way behind the curve in the HP wars. The Altima has 175HP and more improtant 180ft-lbs... there's power everywhere. The Accord makes 190HP now, but it's towing along almost 300lbs more than the Altima and makes less power at low RPM's where it's used most. Accord has a bigger backseat, but smaller trunk.

Basically, more power, better EPA ratings, smaller dimensions, bigger trunk and huge gas tank. Nissan also had better deals than Toyota.

We had 4 adults in out Altima last weekend and there weren't any complaints. Performance wise, you didn't even notice the weight. That CVT and 2.5L combination is sweet. Why bother with a V6.

To another poster... check you manual, but premium is only recommended in the V6 for best performance, but I don't think it's required. The engine will altimatically retard the timing to compensate for the fuel your using. You'll may lose 2-3% in mileage and about 30 peak horsepower but not much if any loss at low RPM's in normal driving.... but premium costs about 10% more than regular.

I have hte same issue wiht my BMW motorcyle. I usually just use premium since it gets 40+mpg anyway, but I can use regular and take a 5-10HP hit.
  • carguy65carguy65 Member Posts: 24
    I had a 2007 Camry, V6, I had problems so I went to a 2007 Altima SE V6, I thought the car was as good as the Camry, especially the CVT but I found the ride and Torque steer a problem. The Altima SE rides like a buckboard (an old wagon), but I know alot of people like the road feel, but I did not, in a cold climate and bad roads it sucked in that department. But if you want to feel the road that's the car, I bought a 2008 Camry, and I love the ride. The SE radio was better, blue tooth better, leather seats harder, and head room a bit more than the Camry, both cars great. But for me it's the Camry.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    You should have test drove the 3.5 SL then, softer ride than the SE which has the sport tuned suspension.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I'm suprised you didn't notice the stiffer ride in the SE when you test drove it. Yes, the SL has a softer ride. Torque steer is a fact of life with a torquey V6 and expecially with the responsive CVT. A conventional automatic gives you time to anticipate the steering wheel jerking a little, with CVT, the power is there immediately without waiting for a double, tripple or even a possible quadruple downshift as in the Camry.
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    When I was searching for a new car, I wanted something sporty, fun to drive, but good on gas. I had an '02 Toyota Solara that I adored. It was fun IMO, but the power in the 4-cyl was lacking compared to some more modern cars.

The first car I tested was an '08 Camry SE 4-cyl. I expected a car that was a lot like my Mom's '05 Camry LE 4-cyl; easy to drive, light, reliable, and considering what I'd heard about the SE version of the new Camry, it needed to be a fun car to drive. However, I was not impressed during my test drive. The engine felt underpowered, the wheel felt heavy, the features were lacking, and while it had cool gauges, the overall fit and finish in the car was severely lacking compared to my Solara. Don't get me wrong, it was clean, but a lot of stuff in the car felt "flimsy" to the touch.

Next, I went and test drove an '08 Accord EX 4-cyl, and boy was that nice. The engine was powerful, steering was light, response was great, and ride comfort was top notch. However, I hated the center stack, and the final price was about $1000 more than the Camry, and the EX I tested didn't even include leather, while the Camry SE I tested did. However, I loved how the Accord drove.

I didn't even think about the Altima until later, and I was put off by the thought of driving a car with a "rubbery" CVT. I finally decided it was worth a test drive, so I went and drove a 2.5 SL sedan... I was totally blown away! The car was quick, nimble, responsive, pleasing to look at, clean, and comfortable. It was an absolute blast to drive too! I've never had that much fun in a car before... and this was only the 4-cyl Sedan. The Ikey and CVT were the best bits about the car as well... neither of these features were on the Camry or Accord I was looking at. The leather is firm but comfortable, and the interior is very clean and functional. The Accord is a little more roomy and nicer on the inside, but the Altima was far more "user friendly" with its stereo and climate control.

A few weeks later, I bit the bullet and bought a loaded 2008 Altima 2.5 SL w/ connection pkg. and haven't regretted it one bit. It has been so much fun to drive, and the gas mileage has been supurb... 25-26mpg almost all city driving.

I will concede that if you want straight up comfort and ride manners, the Camry XLE is a much better choice as it has several more "luxury" options, but bear in mind, you pay for those options. I couldn't see myself using that stuff, and I value a responsive ride over numb comfort, so I chose the Altima. You need to test drive the Altima to know what I'm talking about... Its responsive, but the Altima also smooths over bumps and potholes much easier than my old Solara did. It's also a lot more fun to drive. I'm not sure how Nissan did it, but the Altima is the clear winner in my books.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    premium is only recommended in the V6 for best performance, but I don't think it's required. The engine will altimatically retard the timing to compensate for the fuel your using. You'll may lose 2-3% in mileage and about 30 peak horsepower but not much if any loss at low RPM's in normal driving.

I'd be surprised if the hp hit is as much as 13hp, much less 30hp!

Our Odyssey van (a 2000 model) had a 3.5L which asked for premium to make 210hp and 229lb-ft of torque. On regular, it made 205hp and 217lb-ft. Really not noticeable.

Can an Altima owner tell us the numbers?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since the advent of EFI and non-resonant knock/ping sensors ignition timing is no longer the first choice to combat engine knock/ping. The engine control ECU uses the crankshaft position to "time" the occurance of knock/ping to see if ignition is too early. In the case of low octane fuel the usual result is a slight enrichment of the A/F mixture to alleviate knock/ping, or maybe even a downshift if enrichment does do..
  • petrozeropetrozero Member Posts: 4
    On my 96 Infiniti I-30 (same as Nissan Maxima) when running on 87 octane, I get a check engine light with knock sensor code. This causes the computer to inject much more fuel than with higher octane blends, which I can attest significantly decreases my mpg. For example, with 87 octane I get about 275 miles range. With 93 octane I get close to 400 miles out of a tank. Big difference.

I've commented on this extensively at the PetroZero forums,
    More recent cars don't raise a ruckus like your old Infiniti does; our Odyssey that asked for premium ran with no noticeable difference in economy, or power (although technically it lost 5 horses according to the manual).
    That's exactly why most new cars have 6(9-10)(***) speed automatic transmissions, some now even with 8(12), increases the range of speeds and roadway conditions wherein a more optimal gear ratio can be used to avoid knock/ping due to lugging.

With one of these new 8(12) speed transmissions the FE difference between preminum and regular may not even be measureable.

*** Six "real" gear ratios plus 3 or 4 more using the lockup clutch to take the torque converter's "gear" reduction, and POOR efficiency, out of the loop.

Not to address the issue of CVT's having an infinite number of gear ratios.

But now everyone seems to be complaining about how often the transmissions "shift" gears.

Gas is above $4.00 and headed north, rapidly, live with it.
    Those 5 horses are lost only when compared with PEAK engine performance. At the lower RPM/throttle openings required for typical roadway cruising speeds the HP/torque difference may very well be negligible.
    Pretty much what I said; no noticeable difference. ;)
  • gregd1gregd1 Member Posts: 38
    Has anyone done research on the Nissan Altima hybrid vs Toyota Camry hybrid ?
    In the states that have Altima hybrids they seem to have lots.
    Camry hybrids seem to be rare everywhere.

Any ideas if you can get an Altima hybrid shipped to a non "allowed" state?
  • nhmtnbkrnhmtnbkr Member Posts: 2
    Hi all - last year I bought the Altima SE 3.5 after test driving practically every V6 midsize on the market and found that the Altima was vastly superior. Better fit and finish, handling, braking, acceleration, the whole nine yards. When I drove the Camry I found the handling very vague, the braking dangerously poor and the acceleration very inconsistent, something very suprising after driving Camry's in past test drives. Read a lot of posts that the Camry had major issues with the transmission not shifting, esp. in hard pushes. I also found the seats very short for a tall person like me at 6ft 3in.

By comparison I found the Altima to be quiter, with better braking and neck snapping acceleration if you're so inclined. I have nearly 16K miles without any problems other than an occasional glitch with the power seat not tracking 100% perfectly. My biggest beef with the car is the crappy OEM Bridgestone Turanza's, I'd love to see nissan put Goodyear Tripletred's on instead.

I highly recommend using at least midgrade gas, as I noticed a drop in mileage by about 4mpg when I tried regular and some noticeable HP drop too, despite having added a K&N air filter in.
  • pavelbarchukpavelbarchuk Member Posts: 14
    i drive a infiniti G35 which i believe is built on the nissan altima platform. Its really nice, good handling, but the worst thing about it, its very load, alot of road noise and infiniti is supposed to be a little better quality, its still loud. I sold toyotas for a long time, my favorite is the 4 cylinder camry xle. its very quiet, good handling and excellent resale value, with nissan on the other hand, they are merging with dodge, so resale values of nissan will probably go down with years to come.

Hmmmm.... You're comparing a 4 cyl Camry XLE to an Infiniti G35?!?!? Can you get any more different in terms of what cars are built for?

Camry: Calm, comfortable cruiser that has rock solid reliability and usability. It's usually considered a car that's "easy on the eyes" and the wallet, but it doesn't generate excitement when you drive it. It's affordable and easy to maintain. It's a great "grandma" car.

G35: Quick and exciting sport sedan. The G35 was built to handle curves with poise that is usually only beaten by BMW's 335i. The G35 also has a 306HP V6 with a 7500 RPM redline. The car is very fast, no matter what the conditions are. However, it was NOT engineered to be quiet and comfortable like the Camry. Adding extra sound deadening adds a lot of extra weight to the car. This would take away from the driving experience drastically. You can't get the thrills OR technology offered on the G35 on a Camry.

There's a reason the G35 costs more than a Camry. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Also, Nissan is NOT merging with Dodge. They're partnering together to engineer new vehicles much the same way Toyota and Pontiac partnered to create the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe.

Furthermore, when I was testing new vehicles, I tested both the Camry and the Altima... I bought the Altima. The Camry is a good car, but lets face it. The Camry is about as interesting as a log in the middle of a road; it's there and there's no way to avoid it. Go drive a Camry and an Altima on curvy roads and you'll quickly see why the I bought the Altima. The Altima is far and away the more competent handling sedan. Not to mention Nissan's 2.5L/CVT engine easily outpaces Toyota's 2.4L/5-speed automatic. There's no comparison.
    Not to mention Nissan's 2.5L/CVT engine easily outpaces Toyota's 2.4L/5-speed automatic. There's no comparison.

The revised 2010 Camry (due in early 2009) will feature the 2.5L I4 engine that is currently in the 2009 RAV4. It produces 179hp in that application.

Just thought I'd pass that on. :)

TheGrad
  • guyverfanboyguyverfanboy Member Posts: 20
    That is totally awesome news. :) I hope the 2010 camry is even better :)

Once, I pay off my 2008 Rav4 I'd eventually like to get an Altima.
    The revised 2010 Camry (due in early 2009) will feature the 2.5L I4 engine that is currently in the 2009 RAV4. It produces 179hp in that application.

That's only in the SE model. The I4 LE will only produce 169hp.

However, I'm interested in what Toyota will bring to the table with the introduction of this new engine. I may have to test drive one of these when they hit the sales floor in a couple of months. :)

However, the big IF on this car is will the SE model inherit good steering feel like a proper sport sedan? If it doesn't, It's still a lost cause. Throwing more power at a car with numb steering only leads to one thing.... a powerful car with numb steering. :P

If that's the case, I'll keep my Altima.
    "..a powerful car with numb stearing..."

With a powerful FWD you have only two choices, "numb" stearing or torque stearing that will yank the stearing wheel from your grasp.
    With a powerful FWD you have only two choices, "numb" stearing or torque stearing that will yank the stearing wheel from your grasp.

Or, you can buy an Altima/Maxima which can be equipped with either a 270HP or 290HP V6, and feel no torque steer at all. However, the steering wheel is still fully responsive and gives you plenty of road feel as well. That's another option. ;)
    "...and feel no torque stear at all.."

Many modern day FWD cars with high HP/torque engines are overcoming/alleviating torque stear by automatically derating the engine via DBW in low gear ratios or in an accelerating tight turn.

290HP...sometimes...
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I do agree both Lexus, Toyota, and Nissan use OEM Bridgestone Turanza's on their vehicles and they are indeed the crappiest tire on the market. I can vouch for that because my 2008 TL came with OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400 and they were the worst tire I have every had. Those tires were really loud, gave a bumpy and lousy ride quality to the vehicle and worst of all, anything above 50 mph gave terrible shimmy/vibrations through the steering wheel and seats of the car. Had a front wheel alignment done and still had the vibrations. Also, these tires gave virtually no traction or grip in wet weather. I wouldn't want to even imagine what they are like in snowy weather. Contacted bridgestone and was able to make a deal and have the top of the line Bridgestone serenity's put on the car. Only got Bridgestones because that was the only way we could get a deal because the OEM's where practically brand new with only about 2000k miles on them. THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!! The vibrations stopped at higth speeds and they are a lot quieter than the OEM Turanza's. The serenity's are nice but they are a really expensive tire (for a Acura TL they are about $245 a tire). Would never have Bridgestones on a sedan ever again. Better off with Michelin, Goodyear, or Yokies!!

Nissan has finally gotten their act together and are starting to put Michelin Primacy's on all versions of the altima except the SE which has the crappy OEM Turanza's EL400 still. While the Primacy's aren't the best tire they are ten times better than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's. If you get a camry or a lexus opt for the OEM Michelin Energy's if you can rather than the OEM Bridgestone Turanza's. The Michelin Energy's isn't a great tire either but it is the better of two evils. Avoid OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400 at all cost!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.