Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW History and Engine Technology

2»

Comments

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Shipo, my Gosh, you are an encyclopedia of information! I have learned so much from reading these forums.

I am looking at a 2007 530i (CPO) with 27K miles, and a 2008 535i with 28K miles. I am very skeptical of the twin turbo on the 535i, I am driving a 328i (1996) and the engine has been wonderful for me. All repairs have been for peripheral stuff like computer lights, water pump went at 96K miles, stuff like that. But the engine has as much pep and energy today as it did when I got it (also CPO program). Am I right to be skeptical of the 535i? I am not into high powerered vehicles, but I sure do love that 535i that I saw. I just feel having twin turbos is another technical issue I don't need, and I don't understand them anyway.

What can you tell me about it. Thanks, warranty runs until 2013 on the 2008 and 2012 on the 530i.
    Gardis in Connecticut
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, wow, lots of stuff to cover here. ;-)

Personally I'm quite a fan of turbocharged motors; however, depending upon the application, they do require a bit more care and feeding than their normally aspirated brethren. As an example, anecdotal reports on the twin turbo 3.0 liter mill that BMW is putting in a few of their cars suggests that oil changes should be done every 5,000 miles (instead of the 15,000 miles recommended by BMW).

What should you do? Well, since you like the 535i, get it with the CPO warranty, and if it proves to be a reliable car through the warranty period, keep it even longer, however, if it seems to like more than its fair share of maintenance, then you have a decision to make by 2013. ;-)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • dede43dede43 Member Posts: 2
    I've read all the posted messages regarding 2000 BMW reverse failure. It happened to me last week. Was in the market to purchase a Mini Cooper now the is worthless. Do you have any information on this problem being recalled or any suggestion on what I should do?
    Your best bet is to have the transmission replaced and either keep the car or trade it in then. The good news here is that aftermarket rebuilt units are now becoming available at a relatively reasonable cost (the link below shows an automatic unit for a 2000 323i for $2,220).

http://market.autopartsfair.com/bmw-transmissions/find_product.html?make=bmw&mod- - - el=323i&year=2000

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • dede43dede43 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response. Now my 328CI is going into reverse. It drives the same as if nothing happened. I have not taking it to the shop as of yet want to sell it or tade in. Going to a Honda no more BMWs for me.
    Going to a Honda no more BMWs for me.

Kind of an interesting comment, especially so given that Honda has had WAY-WAY more problems with their automatic transmissions over the last ten years compared to BMW. Before you make the jump, you might want to do a little research on their transmission problems (which are allegedly fixed, yet problems are still cropping up).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • bmwannabe1bmwannabe1 Member Posts: 10
    that is a very interesting comment. i have been researching bmw's for a little bit, comparing them to many other cars. Honda's are very reliable, but when they do run in to a couple of problems here and there. then again, im not a complete "know it all". if i'm wrong, please let me know, still learning here.
    Specific to the comments that I was responding to last year, BMW had a problem with the 1999 and 2000 vintage 323i (GM produced) automatic transmissions not going into reverse after roughly 50,000 miles. Honda on the other hand has had an ongoing problem with the automatic transmissions used with their V6 engines, especially those on the Odyssey and larger Acura models. There are (or were) four Honda vehicles in our neighborhood so affected, our immediate neighbors being the worst hit in that their V6 Accord needed one transmission (covered under warranty) and their Odyssey needed two (neither of which was covered and each of which cost about $5,000. Ouch!

The above said, the easiest way to avoid automatic transmission problems is to buy a car with a stick shift. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    many of these issues is to only drive manual transmission-equipped cars.

Both BMW and Honda make excellent cars with manual transmissions. They almost never fail and are much more fun to drive.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Talk about "from the sublime to the ridiculous", an M3 is a much more highly strung car than a typical BMW, and while the E46 version is relatively reliable compared to Ms of old, they do require more care and feeding than say a 330i of the same model year.

Personally I'd avoid a second hand M3 unless I had tons of documentation in its maintenance history, better still if I knew the previous owner and how it was driven.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Agreed! :shades:
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "the E46 version is relatively reliable compared to Ms of old"

Hey, I resent that remark.

Except for replacing the transmission, clutch (twice), driveshaft, differential, 2 axles, AFM, brake master cylinder, 2 window switches, exhaust from the header back, control arms, tie-rod ends, rear shock mounts (twice), guibo, O2 sensor, sway bar links, subframe bushings, engine mounts, oil cooler, shifter bushings, 2 wheel bearings, flywheel sensors, and the alternator in the past 3 years, my M3 has been completely reliable!
    ;)
    haha thanks guys, but im also under a price limit. this is my first car, and my parents are not trying to get me something too expensive.
    Then do not get an M3, you'll be perfectly happy with a regular 3-Series. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    M series cars also don't have good resale value vis a vis their original premium price.
    Agreed. If money is a consideration, do not get an M. They cost more to purchase, and a lot more to maintain/repair.
    Alright. Good point. i love that kick that the BMW's have, but I'm not sure if the 3 Series will make up for the M3. You guys think I'll still be happy with a regular 3 series? :confuse:
    Funny, none of my BMW's ever kicked...

I think you should get a Mustang.
    A 3 series is fast enough to get you put on a highway cleanup gang for life. :P

The problem with the "M" are that, historically, they quickly become "yesterday's news" and with new technology, what was once a "fast" BMW becomes one that is slower than BMWs normal sedans in the upcoming years.
    I understand what you're saying. If you guys were to pick a very reliable car/getting a car for the money you pay, would BMW's be on top of your list?
    Depends if driving pleasure is a factor or not. If it's pure appliance-like reliability one is looking for, no matter how numb the car feels or no matter how generic it looks, then no, a BMW is not the best choice for that highest level of reliability above all else.
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    People buy cars for many reasons . . .

My 2008 BMW 535i is my first BMW. A new convert, the car is my "ultimate driving machine." That takes the car's utlility off the charts because the drive was my top priority.

I once purchased a 1999 Volvo S80, for the safety features, knowing that the transmission was a Chevy that Volvo used because it was the only one that would fit. Knowing that the tranny was likely to fail and it did -- under warranty, of course -- reliability was not that big a deal. Safety and comfort were my main concerns given the 50 mile commute up and down I-95 that I had to then endure.

On this BMW purchase, I wanted a great drive, power and speed and at least 24 mpg. Add the styling and the intangible of panache: case closed. As much as I hate to go on record admitting this, reliability is not always important to me (or to others who buy cars). Otherwise, who would buy a Mercedes or a Dodge? :)

What was the question.? Happy driving.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I understand what you're saying. If you guys were to pick a very reliable car/getting a car for the money you pay, would BMW's be on top of your list?

Given the above, no and no. If you want a "very reliable car/getting a car for the money you pay", buy an Accord or a Camry. A BMW is a lot more than just what you asked about.

Sounds like you really don't have your heart set on a BMW, in the sense that "I just gotta have one".
    I think you misunderstood. I truly do want a BMW, not because I can want one, but because I love them. I'm simply asking if they can be "reliable" cars because I've heard the maintenance can be expensive for BMW's, given the fact I'm 17, also due to the fact that I'm under a price range since my parents are buying me the car.
    Well since the parents are footing the bill here, I think *they* should be in on this discussion :P

Bring 'em over!
    Hahaha God No. They'll get so intense about it, let's just keep it the way it is? What were all of your first cars?
    You have very good taste. FYI - Car and Driver magazine ran a feature recently re: the best used cars under $20,000. The original 1999 M coupe was dubbed "a prime example of nerd chic: incredibly cool to those in the know." This car is supposedly fun to drive, with plenty of storage space, unlike most two-seaters. I have only seen a couple of these M coupes. Rare is always good. Back to your reliability question -- BMW repairs when off warranty are pricey. That might be a concern in your situation. Good luck with Santa.
    The world's fastest wooden shoe? :P
    - Yep, now that you mention it, shoe is a good one.

- My first car was a 1965 Ford Mustang.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Your tastes in cars exceeds the size of your wallet. Yeah, you probably don't want to bring your parents around. If you did, we would probably be recommending a nice 5 year old Accord or a Civic :shades:

What were all of your first cars?

Mine was a 1969 Camaro Z-28 (you can see from that I'm probably older than you parents :P ). Paid for myself, as I was working and going to school at night.
    I just don't know how a 17 year old will be able to support even the NORMAL maintenance requirements of a used BMW, much less the repairs, should they occur.

For any used German car, one has to realistically budget about $150 a month for maintenance and repairs, which includes "expendables" on the car (tires, brakes, wipers, tune up) but not gas/insurance/accident damage/catastrophic repairs.

So really, it's gonna cost, with insurance for a young 'un and gas for 12K miles, probably $4,000 a year to keep this car going...if everything goes pretty much okay with the car

so I trust parents have an extra $350 a month or so for this endeavor.

to be fair, much of this $$$ amount would apply to any car, but I suspect a used Toyota is going to cost you less to operate overall each year.
    I understand what you're saying and I agree. I'm going to look more into it and see what I can do. The plan is that I have to pay for some of the monthly bills. As long as I contribute, I'm able to keep the M3 I want.
    And of course the insurance company may nick you extra $$$ for the "M" model. You'd best check on that as well.
    They most definitely will. Because it's an even more of a sports model, I know for sure they will, which blows. Badly.
    that's not cheap, that's dealer retail.

Edmunds True Market Value
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    If you are hot to buy an M3 I'd suggest an E36. The S50 and S52 are dead-nuts reliable and do not require valve adjustments. You can pick up garage queens all day long for under $15K in coupe, convertible, and sedan versions.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This discussion has been closed.