Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    prity much bolt on can get at auto zone or such
  • scooterfxrscooterfxr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a cherokee with 200k 4.0. it starts and runs great for about 10 miles then it starts to die. If i step on it it pops thru throttle body but will fly. have replaced cap rorot wires coil and fuel filter. tried the banging on tank to check fuel pump that didn't help. check engine light on says 02 sensors but have had others with 02 sensor removed and never drove like this. if it idles or is shut off for a while starts to run great again but only for short trips any ideas thanks
  • hmessingerhmessinger Member Posts: 3
    awhile back i had a 5th cylinder misfire and advanced auto checked it on their computer confirming the problem. well i had the mechanic install a new coil pack in the cylinder, and even after taht every time i drive uphill it just misses and jumps back and forth. i really want to get my jeep in working order. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    :confuse:
    Do a compresson test to see what compression is sounds as if have bad valve
    sounds as if you have a bad distrubeter bearing or a vacuem leak caused by a valve that opens when hot
  • slaught1slaught1 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry it is so long between posts, I gave up for a while.

Problem is still there but your lucky the mechanic is telling you there are actual engine code. I receive no engine or service codes. The dealership eventually kept it for 2 days and Had "there best guy" looking into it.

They tested everything, compression, timing, replaced spark plugs, wires, unplugged the mds and never did amount to anything. One thing that seemed to help for a few days though was the they cleared the memory on the some sort of system that attempts to account for the drivers habit. By clearing the memory it lessened the problem for about 2-3 days but picked off where it left off.

This past weekend I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, which did not help and I will eventually replace the camshaft position sensor. I really hate to throw parts at it but, I have taken it to two different dealers and nobody can seem to figure it out. I have ext. warranty but what good does that do me when they can't find the problem.

How about you, did you what was causing your issue?
  • slaught1slaught1 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Landj68,

What year and model was your JGC?
  • jgc5jgc5 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry. One more time: I have a 2001 JGC with 93000 well cared for miles on it.

The other day I was parking in a parking structure & easing forward into the space, when the throttle opened wide. The jeep jumped forward and crashed into the cement support pillar in front of me before I could do anything. Damage is about $5K.

This has happened twice before (same conditions..easing forward into a parking space) but the first two times I was able to stop. I couldn't track it down because it didn't happen again. This time was worse. Had I been in either parking space adjacent to me I'm sure I would have bolted through the retaining wall and hit the street below. If someone were in front of me, they'd still be scraping them off the wall. I found all sorts of references to this on the web but the local dealer says they aren't aware of a fix (though they were of the problem). No recalls listed either.

The only thing I can figure is the throttle position sensor - or the computer - someone is sending the signal to race when I am parking. Anyone know of this??

HELP
  • jgj2jgj2 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2001 JGC V8 and for the past 3 weeks the OBDII light (I think thats what its called) has lit up on and off, and the car has stalled about 10 times while at stopped or going very slow. It goes right back on when I start it up again. It has also shaked violently back and forth while accelerating. The manual says it might have something to do with a loose gas cap or bad gas, but it has been through several tanks of gas now and the fuel cap is not loose. I do notice that when I open the gas cap I used to hear air escaping, but I don't anymore.
    So I got an oil change, they check all the fluids, I replaced the air filter, and then had the Auto Zone guy plug in his computer and it said I had 4 issues, all relating to the crank sensor. Just today I bought a $45 crank sensor but haven't had it put in yet.
    If anyone else has had this problem or thinks they know what it is let me know please! thanks
  • momavengermomavenger Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone else had this problem?? Traveling at 65 mph, lightly took my foot off of the accelerator and the car totally shut down, leaving me no control - happened to me 3 times on an 8 hr. drive @ 2 weeks ago (car has 20,000 miles - all service performed by dealer) - immediately brought the car to a dealer & was told that the dealers had received a service bulletin describing this issue, but no recall was going out - I was told it was a malfunction of the on board computer program and I needed to have the program updated and reloaded - once completed should have no further problems - EXCEPT, the same darn thing happened to me yesterday - traveling back home on a major road (@50 mph this time) and same thing occurred twice - slightly took my foot off the gas and the car completely shut down - Does anyone have a copy of the Dealer Bulletin about this? I've reported this to safercars.gov - anyplace else I can go? Just want to get rid of this hunk of junk pronto!!! Thanks for comments!
  • clouds99clouds99 Member Posts: 1
    After being parked for 4-6 hrs it will start just fine, but as soon as I hit reverse, & drive out it will die- I have to put it in park and re-start it again. The dealer has kept it for days and tells me it never happened to them, and they cannot determine what it could be. It has also started making a loud "Cracking" noise, when I turn, go in reverse, I am so frustrated... HELP PLEASE.
    I've called my lawyer and written a letter to Nardelli!
  • jgc5jgc5 Member Posts: 2
    after my episode with sudden accleration and the concrete wall, I'm in the mode for another vehicle. I went and looked at an 05 GCJ and really like it but am afraid I can't buy another jeep after all I continue to read. It could have ended differently for me with my collision....I don't want to take the chance with my family, or letting one of my family drive.

a real shame
  • 99jeepgcl99jeepgcl Member Posts: 1
    Ok this is very strange I have a 4.7 V8 I can start my Jeep it will run perfect for 1 hour to 2 days then it will miss, back fire I let it sit for 3 hours and it will run perfect for about 1/2 to 3/4 of hour perfect then start missing and back firing again If I let it sit over night then it will run perfect 1 hour to 2 days????? I had the timing belts changed which as you know requires removing the whole front clip I'm not exaggerating by much replaced every sensor on the engine, catalytic converter, all of the coil packs, plugs, fuel filter which cost 90 bucks. Has anybody had to deal with this same problem?
  • jgj2jgj2 Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: Car is running perfect now for a week. Bought a $45 crank sensor at AutoZone, local garage put it in for $75. No more warning light, no more stalling.
  • colborn1colborn1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently changed my spark plugs on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, 4.7v8. I have started to get a miss at high speeds. Gas mileage has gotten poor. Local mechanic says transfer case. I think bad coil plug. No codes shown when tested twice though. Any ideas?
    try new set of plugs use the ones that are called for under the hood
    the plugs I put in were called for. Autozone looked them up for me before I purchased them to make sure they were the right ones.
  • blueworlddreamblueworlddream Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Jeep GC Laredo straight 6 with 200K+ miles on it. It was running just fine until recently. When I drive it, the engine will shut down sometimes, if I'm doing less than 40 mph. I'll flip the ignition off and on a few times without engaging the engine and it will start up again. Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes, but it always restarts. We have replaced the coil, wires and plugs. Also replaced the auto-shut down and fuel pump relays. Still have the problem. But it only stalls on me! :cry: Last Friday, it stalled 3 times within a few miles of my house. I was able to drive it back home and drove my car to work. My husband drove it Friday, and all weekend with no issues what so ever. I tried to drive it to work today, and it won't even start! All the accessories came on so the battery had juice. My husband checked later and it started fine for him. :mad:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Despite the problem, I really like my Jeep and I'd like to continue driving it!
    i think that you use ac plugs the number is rc12mccy gap at .040 i was informed that you should not use any other type plug as tge computer uses the resistanct in the plug to help set timing etc so stay with orignal eq on mine and have 185000 miles and n o prob
    have you replaced the ingnetion switch?
    do you have a lot of keys on your key ring? if so remove all but the jeep key and see if that don't take care of prob
  • madwestsidermadwestsider Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem and it drove me and the mechanic crazy. Most likely it's the the crankshaft position sensor. About $140 P & L and it's fixed. Good luck.
    I put bosch plugs in. The ones it called for at autozone. I was told bosch was best you could get. Thats why I went with them. Should I change back to the ones you advised? Would it straighten the problem out possibly? Or did I mess up the timing?
    bosch plugs are realy good plugs BUT the computer in the jeep with the 4.7 dosen't like them as it uses the resistance in the plug voltage to set timing and as the timing is set by the computer and can also be diffrent for each plug i would put in oem plugs and see if takes care of prob.

you can not change the timing just by changing plugs as it is all controled by crank senser and cam sensers

and the computer
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I'm open to any ideas. I have a 1997 JGC 2wd 4.0 L6. It always runs smooth except for when it suddenly stalls. It gives no warning it is about to stall such as stumbling or running rough. I am getting no warning lights on the dash and so far it has only happened when the car is stopped at a stop light or pulling into a parking spot. I did change the plugs (Bosch) and the cap and rotor three weeks ago as part of routine maintenance but encountered no problems right after doing that.
    Thanks alot. I took your advice and changed them to the oem plugs. I also disconnected the positive wire to battery for about 10 minutes to possibly reset the computer. I appreciate your help. Could it take a little bit for the computer to re-recognize the change? Should change be immediate?
  • jeepman06jeepman06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Cherokee, inline 6, 4.0 liter, Manual Tran.....Great engine..310K and still going.

My jeep was parked by my brother because he said it overheated, I lifted the hood and saw a heater hose disconnection. I fixed the problem and turn the the jeep on. I notice no coolant was being sucked from the overflow tank so I thought it was good to go and did not loose any fluid. Tried driving home, Big Mistake. First I heard a clicking noise from the engine coming and going, I was in 4th gear and notice I couldn't increase speed or decrease speed, when I pushed the clutch down, the RPMs raced to about 5K. I took the next exit and came to a stop by pushing the clutch down and letting my RPMs just race at 5K, dropped it into 2nd and managed my way to the closes gas station. I rolled in and right as is stopped all hell broke loose and white smoak or steam went everywhere. The first thing that came to mine, was that the Head Gasket Blew. I found out later that one of the main hose connection from the radiator completly broke off and I had no coolant The overflow tank didn't work because I'm guessing the radiator could not hold pressure. I replace the radiator and I'm about the go after the Head Gasket and all other related parts...Can someone give me some advise, before I do all that work for nothing..and explain why my RPMs wouldn't go down...Could it be from a Vacuum leak.
    computer learns your driving habits takes bout week depending on your driving amount
    I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, 4.7v8. I have started to get a miss while driving on inclines at a speed of 60mph and up. Gas mileage has gotten poor.2 mechanics have put on an engine diagnostic check and found no codes. One mechanic was at a local dodge dealership. Took it for a test ride, with computer hooked up, felt and observed the miss fire and still has no clue what it is because of no codes. Told me I was better of if it quit all together, then they would have a better idea. I cant afford to wait til that happens. Can anyone help? I dont know what else to do. Dont want to cause more damage to the engine.
    how many miles on your jeep?

if it were me i would change the oxy sencers on the exaust and see if that helps as they ware out and if still in pramaters of computer will add gas as if running lean when your not thus over fueling engine under load prob have two one in front of cat converter and one behind change them both
    I have 160000 miles on it. If the o2 sensor is going out would it show up on the diagnostic check? I will give it a try. I am sure they do need changed. I appreciate the advice!!!
    wouldnt show up as long as it is in fac spect bur could be on the edge of bad with 160000 miles has had to work like h ll so could be worn out as stated i shoes to much oxigen in exaust tikink engine is running lean adds more gas
  • retamoceretamoce Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with 15000 kms, I had it for the last 8 month (very impressive vehicle), in the last couple of month in two separate occasions when driving below 5kms the engine suddenly went off, I only get the hand brake light on, immediately turn the key on and the engine starts as if nothing had happened.
    Has anyone got a suggestion?
  • retamoceretamoce Member Posts: 3
    something important that I must mentioned is that this problem only happened when I was about to pull over, once happened at the traffic lights and another time at the car park.
  • srajewelersrajeweler Member Posts: 2
    I had a miss at 60mph and up with my 1999 grand cherokee as well. Not 02 sensor that fixed it. Took it to Jeep Dealer and they did not know, finally a transmission shop figured it out. It was bad tires causing the transfer case to shift in and out of four wheel drive. Replaced tires and the problem went away.
  • srajewelersrajeweler Member Posts: 2
    Did you change the wires as well? I would replace them . During the change you may have developed a crack in one which arcs at high speed...
  • jilld73jilld73 Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone can provide a picture, diagram or description of the TPS location on a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Is this part easy to install? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I'm trying to fix this check engine light on a tight budget and this is what the code Auto Zone pulled for me pointed to. :confuse:
  • helixmanhelixman Member Posts: 3
    Over the last 3-4 days, my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo has gradually increased in intermitten loss of power. I notice that when it has not been driven for 10-12 hours it runs fine for 20-30 minutes. But if I turn it off, I notice a stumbling at start, shakes, low RPMs and little power. It will slowly pick up power, but if I increase gas pedal to quickly, it looses power and may eventually come to a stop. It continues to run, but at very low RPMs and stumbling. As I begin to pickup speed, it occasionally gives small backfires in rapid succession. if I increase the gas too much. I have changed fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I have put half a tank of gas in from several different stations, thinking it was water in the gas. Help!?!
    I have individual spark plug coils. So no wires to change. I have replaced four of the eight coil plugs and no change. Sounds different when it starts. All started when plugs were changed. I am at a loss.
  • cheley30cheley30 Member Posts: 1
    This exact thing has happened to me about 6 times. I'm looking for an answer too...if you happen to find out anything about what it is, or what the fix is please email me at Cheley30@yahoo.com. I have the Hemi if that matters?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me ...

Let's keep the discussion here. To do otherwise deprives members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • strohldestrohlde Member Posts: 5
    1999 6cyl Grand Cherokee

ok...I've replaced the relay a couple times now but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I noticed that the fan wasn't running at all after I put a new relay in so I just spun it a bit by hand and it started right up....doesn't seem to be running quite as fast as it should. Is this something that just needs lubrication? Or do I need a new fan? Getting tired of driving around Austin with the heat on;)

Thanks!
    needs new fan and motor
  • eddeheddeh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee Laredo v6 and have been having problems for the past couple of months first the car shakes very bad when i get to 45MPH and if i put it in overdrive it will stop until 65 MPH and then i have to take it back out of overdrive also if i dont take it back out of overdrive and get to 70MPH the govenor will turn on and i will have no control of the speed until it goes back down to 60MPH and recently the engine has been cutting off randomly while driving at low speeds 15-25MPH not sure what to do besides taking it to a mechanic but wanted to check online first any ideas?
    car also turns off when turning corners and if it doesnt turn off it will lose power slightly until it kicks back in
  • clareannclareann Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited and having the same problem....ever discover why and what the problem is??
    ClareAnn
    nothing yet im going to replace the fuel injectors today and see what that does to help
    I've asked the dealer about this - says has nothing to do with the problem - the idiots still can't figure out - but I'm sure the Lemon Law suit I've filed may provide some incentive! :lemon:
  • drdon3drdon3 Member Posts: 1
    my jeep grand has a 4.0l engine...trouble is its runs and dies.....no real pattern. no engine lite...no codes...i have replaced the crank postion sensor, the coil,and the module in the dist. still does the same thing....when it quites it has no spark. any ideas?? ecm maybe?? i am a loss here. thank for any help
  • strohldestrohlde Member Posts: 5
    Ya. I figured as much. Got a new fan and put it in yesterday....getting that one bottom bolt out is a PITA!!!. But it's in there and seems to work just fine. So hopefully that'll do it;) Just have to wait for the next thing.