Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Engine and Performance Problems

Comments

• ste_rexste_rex Member Posts: 2
    I'm a 23 year old female, and I know very little about cars. I have a '99 Cherokee Sport, about 170k on it. My oil pressure has always ran at 40. My buddy changed the oil 3 months ago, and every since it's ran at 80. They said it was probably because they put 10W30 in it in instead of 10W40. (I have no idea why this would change anything, as stated, I don't know much about cars.) Other than running at 80 psi, I haven't had a problem out if it. No noises, no burning oil smell, etc. About three weeks ago, I found a small amount of oil on my driveway, but can't find where it's leaking from. HERE'S MY MAJOR PROBLEM: Today while driving, my oil pressure dropped to 0 and my check engine light came on. Then, like nothing happened, it shot back up to 80 and the light went off. It continued to do that the entire time I was driving. I checked my oil, and it was a little low, so I added a quart. It drove fine for about 20 minutes, then it started doing it again. It will drop all the way to 0, stay there anywhere from 1-20 seconds, then go back to normal.

I have found things online about people having similar problems to this, but theirs usually involves the oil pressure dropping when they're stopped, and rising again as they accelerate. Mine happens regardless of acceleration or stopping, and I have no clue what it is. Could it be the sensor? Could it be caused by the leak? If so, where should I check for said leak? Please help. It's not just my car, it's my baby. :(
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You need to get this checked out ASAP. Even with oil in the engine, low oil pressure can do serious damage to an engine. First, I would have the oil changed back to what's recommended in your owner's manual (either 10w30 or 10w40 or whatever). Only use the proper oil as recommended in your owner's manual. Second, with the mileage that you have, I would have the oil pressure sending unit checked out. A good mechanic should be able to check this out for you. Good luck.
  • ste_rexste_rex Member Posts: 2
    I actually looked at it today, and it was definitely not in good shape. It was basically falling off, and I could see the oil inside of the sensor on the wiring. I went and bought one at Autozone and had someone put it on. As soon as I started the car, the pressure gauge went back to 40 like it was originally. I drove it around for a little while, and the pressure never went higher than 40, and it didn't drop to 0 once. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I think that fixed the problem. Thank you!
  • lori34lori34 Member Posts: 1
    Hello!
    My 07 Grand Cherokee is now on its 3rd tow to the dealership with the EXACT problem that you had and i was hoping before i replace the starter (which they are assuring me that is the problem and i doubt that it is...) if your car is now running fine after replacing the solenoid wire end. Thanks for your list though! When i speak to the dealer tomorrow im quoting it verbatim!!

Thank-You!
  • abkvideoabkvideo Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 99 Cherokee Spot 4.0 Liter with 38,000 miles on it...
    It has a smooth idle but it seems to skip a beat or miss and I feel it it, and hear it. Then it is smooth, then it misses a few times and runs smooth... It will do it in Neutral and in gear. If in neutral and given slight acceleration, it will not "miss". I did a few bottles of injector cleaner (chevron) and the problem seemed to have stopped, but it returned again... The stuff I put in is 6 bucks a bottle and the way this thing chews up gas (16 mpg) adding a bottle w/ every fill up is too expensive... Is it a clogged injector? Is there another issue? Any one else have this problem? Is it a sensor? Any and all ideas are welcome!!! Thanks in advance... ABK
  • tom1969tom1969 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought her a month ago she was hard to start when I got her and she start missing after 3000 rpm I've replaced the dist, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, coil, and I've checked the fuel psi 38 psi in idle and about 32 psi when giving it some gas and only lost around 10 psi after shutting it down and letting it sit for 20 mins. And then friday she got worse can't drive her she starts missing after 1200 rpms very hard to start! thou some times I can start her again and she will run like when I first got her so won't start missing until 3000 rpm! so what else can I chk before I send her to the shop!!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    sounds as if you have junk on the plug that goes in to your computer just disconnect the battery and then plug and unplug the connector a couple times to clean the connector see if takes care of problem
  • cjs811cjs811 Member Posts: 4
    My son purchased this Jeep yesterday. He put it on the road only to find out it is powerless. It idles perfectly but once you give it gas or try to pull a hill--it has very little power--it gives a big jerk or two and then takes off good for awhile. He is very disappointed. It is the 6 cylinder version with the automatic transmission. Any body here have the same problem with an answer for him?
  • greene02greene02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lori,
    My jeep is having the same problem as yours along with several other people. I am wondering if you got your problem fixed with the Jeep transmission over temp and not starting.
  • mattdugmattdug Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    We have an 04 limited with a clicking noise that the mechanic can't figure out. Just got it 4 months ago and had in to the dealer three times and he said that nothing was wrong and now it is out of warranty and still making that noise. Any suggetions as to what it can be? It is an in line 6
  • josegbjosegb Member Posts: 1
    i ran my jeep unknowing it was out of oil, i need a short block asap. i'm from dominican republic and it's hard and expensive to get. i'll appreciatte your recommendations
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    ticking noise where
    by engine when running?
    front or back of engine
    pep boys
    or auto zone sell a mech stescope with a long rod on the end, touch parts of engine (BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU DONT TOUCH MOVING PARTS) as it is running and the tapping will be isolated then maybe able to help you find prob.
  • mightyonemightyone Member Posts: 1
    intermitten starting problem replaced fuel pump still the same,any ideas?
  • js93js93 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem. Any luck with your problem? I need to know how to fix it please help.
  • mkantormkantor Member Posts: 4
    hi I have problem with grand cherokee its dont whona start ?
  • mkantormkantor Member Posts: 4
    hi my grand cherokee dont whona start its problem with baterry????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you need a new battery.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • abkvideoabkvideo Member Posts: 2
    Still have the problem. No help here as of yet. You have any ideas?
  • imagenthisimagenthis Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this truck, and it drove fine for 500 miles, I got near my home and the truck started sputtering like it had no gas in it. I let off the gas and it just cut off. The truck started right back up, but once I placed it in drive and tried to drive off it wouldn't get over 20 mph and sputtered then cut back off.

Once I got it home and let it sit in the driveway for about 40 minutes the truck would idle just fine then it just cut off on it's own. It has no codes or check engine light, can anyone please tell me what steps I should take?

Thank you
  • 2004jeepgirl2004jeepgirl Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to see if you ever found out what was wrong with your Jeep?

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition Laredo. Sounds like I have a similar problem like yours but mine is misfiring in cylinder 1.

We replaced the coil and spark plugs, and then found out wrong "type" of spark plugs. My husband replaced the spark plug #1 on Saturday with the correct one, even though I think they all should have been replaced. Engine light went out but only to come back on today.

He also noticed my reservoir for the anti-freeze/coolant was empty. He just put some in about a month ago, when he put the new spark plugs in. No leaks on the ground/white smoke coming from the tail pipe.

I'm taking it in for inspection tonight since it's due, hopefully, they can tell me what is wrong with it.
  • channonchannon Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 jeep grand cheorkee limited I brought used in 2009. Six months later I had to replace the engine. And now 7 months later my engine light came on reading a misfire in cylinder 7 i took it back to the dealership I purchased it from who also replaced my engine at my exspense of course. It's been there almost two weeks and they have yet to tell me whats wrong. From the reasearch I have done I think it's my head gasket too. I am waiting to get a confirmation of that and than I am going to do more reasearch because something is not right with this suv, I have had it one year 9 months and I still owe on it. Something is just not right. What did you find out about your issue?
  • sgonzasgonza Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    my jeep needs an engine according to mechanic. It overheated and apparently there was no water in radiator. Its frozen. first of all hes charging me 1,800 to replace engine.Prior to this the computer kept stating coolant engine low. I would put water in it. Then it would say coolant sensor bad. It had been saying this for months now. I would put water in it. It was also dripping water from bottom, but i kept putting water in plastic container that connected to radiator. Thats when it broke down on the freeway. My husband told him to take as long as it takes. Has anyone had this done and is the price reasonable and how long should the duration be for repair. any advice. I would appreciate it!!!
  • gseterrygseterry Member Posts: 13
    First after checking and replacing all normal PM parts, Fuel Filter, Plugs, Cap, Wires AND AIR FILTER, if this does NOT cure the hi-load sluggishness, its your Catalitic Convertor. Replace it - or eliminate it.
    Best test - most economical - is to disconect eahaust engine side of convertor and go do your hill climb.
    Gonna be a bit noisy but if this cures it your Convertor is what is called BLINDED - Plugged.
    T
  • jerry2070jerry2070 Member Posts: 1
    I changed the oil put in 20w-50 after that i noticed the first 15 min of driving the oil pressure shot up to 80psi after 15 min the oil pressure is normal so I changed the oil back to 10w-30 put in a k&n filter and it still does it, could I have messed up the sending unit or is the oil relief valve stuck I had a new oil pump installed 2 yrs ago
  • ablakemoreablakemore Member Posts: 2
    I am not positive about the 94 model, but on the 95 there is no EGR on the 4.0.
  • ablakemoreablakemore Member Posts: 2
    I just got through putting a rebuilt engine into my 95 Grand Cherokee and found through lots of frustrating trial and error that the 4.0 will run marginally with the distributor a tooth off. This is due to the tip of the rotor being about a half inch long and the timing being controlled by a delay or advance in the firing of the coil. The thing is, when the spark advances too much (at around 3000-3500 RPM) the spark fires to the wrong post on the distributor. This causes major backfiring and a loss of power. While trolling for answers on the internet I found several posts that said that it would not run if the distributor is a tooth off, so I figured that this tidbit of info would be handy to post.
  • binnersbinners Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Got the Jeep from my dad. He apparently had problems with the driver door, because it looks like the bottom hinge has been re-welded back onto the door itself. Now, the weld has broken off, and the door doesn't close all the way. My husband had to take the bottom pin out of the hinge, just to get the door to drop into place. It still does not close all the way, but now, the interior lights stay on. I have taken out the fuse for the interior lights, but the console reading lights, and middle console light stays on. Aside from disconnecting the battery, which I have done, how can I get the lights to stay off so it doesn't drain the battery? I am afraid to open the door again, for fear of not getting it to latch so I can use it for transportation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
  • fitz4ufitz4u Member Posts: 2
    Good Evening:
    I'm looking for some assistance with the above codes. They are the result of the Electronic Throttle Control warning and check engine like coming on. I've been able to reproduce the codes and warnings with hard acceleration, but also with steady city cruising.
    I've reset the codes, numerous times, and also had the codes and check engine light reset themselves!
    I've run fuel dryer, and fuel conditioner twice, because i thought I picked up a tank of bad diesel, without results. Latest has been to replace the fuel filter. The codes apparently refer to high and low pressure at the solinoid on the fuel rail. Of course Chrysler won't just sell the solinoid and would prefer I spend $1000 for a new fuel rail.
    Has anyone run into this issue with the diesel?
    your assistance is appreciated.
  • halo2halo2 Member Posts: 11
    Recently bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited---between 30-65 mph while maintaining speed or slightly accelerating, engine misfires/hesitates frequently. Service Dept can't find anything wrong---service manager rode with me and felt the misfires---he stated that it had something to do with the cylinders shutting down to save gas and then firing back up for more power. Maybe so but this should not be doing this as much as it is. terribly annoying after I spent so much money on it. Filed complaint with Jeep customer service in detroit. they contacted the service manager who rode with me. they can't do anything unless they find something wrong on the computer---This is nonsense---Something is wrong with this hemi engine and probably with others---anyone else experiencing this problemChrysler customer service
  • deeceesddeeceesd Member Posts: 5
    halo2
    Thanks for the post. I am having the same problem with my 11 GC Limited 4x4. Service dept didn't admit there was a problem when I returned it within the first week of ownership back in early Oct. I've finally got them to admit there is a problem but they can't figure out the reason or how to fix it. They are waiting for Jeep Engineers in Detroit to get back to them. Glad to see I'm not alone with this issue... I hope Chrysler stands behind their product!!!
    Since I posted this-- I drove a new one at a dealership and it is doing the same thing-----I then took it to a small town dealership and the service manager rode with me and felt the hesitation---He went on the computer and found a company tech notice that described the problem to a tee. the fix was to re boot the software in the jeep computer with a fix. they tried but found that it had already been done, which I was never told about. It did not fix it. My jeep has a serios heart problem and his is continually skipping a beat. the service manager at the small dealership stated that the diagnostic computer will not find software issues, just mechanical. Chrysler better get a fix---I am very close to making a lemon law claim---This is my 4th Jeep---This 2011, I love everything about it except the engine issue. Please keep me posted.
    During the recent check they did take a look at Service Bulletin # 21-004-10 Rev A which I was hoping, like you, would fix the problem. Unfortunately, I was told the same thing. The DTCM software and flash reprogramming had been done as well with no improvement. I have made three visits so far to Jeep dealer who sold me the vehicle... Not sure if I should try another Service Dept to see if their techs are any better. Thanks for the update and I will keep you posted on my progress, if any.
  • agallmanagallman Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same problems with the gargling/sloshing of coolant from behind the passenger dash/glove compartment. What did you find out was the cause? Thanks.
  • 11ovrlnd11ovrlnd Member Posts: 4
    Anything new on your issue? I have Overland w/hemi and found when new the miss was noticeable but after having the updates, I believe it is actually worse and is constantly getting worse. About 9,000 Km on it now. It has been back three times and no answers. My belief is that there is not a fix for this issue and dealers are just trying to put people off untill Chrysler comes up with the fix. First time in dealer told me it needed the updates, second time they said it was just because it was going into ECO mode and this last time, no explanation as of yet except to say they may hook up scan tool that I will drive with for a couple days so they can see what is occuring....as I said, stall tactics untill a fix come from Chrysler. It feels like a fuel mapping issue IMO. Definitely not just when going into eco mode as I can get engine to miss while loading it up with brakes on fully (not moving) to 1300 - 1500 RPM, No way the system would be trying to go into ECO mode under this circumstance. Only recourse is for all to demand a fix from their dealers and if unable, then get in touch with Chysler and screem. These are great looking, great driving vehicles they have come up with but no way anyone should have to put up with this issue on a vehicle we paid a good amount of money for.....We could have a 10,000 fing Hyundai that would not have this running issue.

All...keep posting info on these forums and push dealers and Chrsyler for the fix. Just my 2 cents!! DB
  • bill202bill202 Member Posts: 4
    I had a blown head gasket
    DB
    Thanks for jumping in with your situation. I've been back to the original dealer who sold me the vehicle and now a second Jeep dealer with similar results and stories from the dealers. They are now trying to give me the same story that it relates to the EDO mode function. I will be talking to Chrysler rep tomorrow to voice my displeasure. As you mentioned, we paid serious bucks for this brand new vehicle and it is totally unacceptable to have this constant fluttering/hesitation. New Jeep GC 2011 buyers beware...
    DC
  • 11ovrlnd11ovrlnd Member Posts: 4
    DC,

Please let me know what the Chrysler rep had to say to you about this. Mine is scheduled to go back in on Tuesday the 25th. I have told dealer in no uncertain terms that I want answers....whether or not it does any good I will see. Even if Chrysler would just own up and say there is an issue they are working on, it then wouldn't bother me near as bad.

On another note...have you checked your front tire wear? I found feathering on the front tires starting around 3,000KM. It was to be checked last time it was in and they indicated alignment was NOT in spec in "Auto" mode (which is the default ride height setting) but when they switched it to "sport mode" it came into specs. I screamed bloody murder at them for this also and they are suppose to have answers regarding this also. Makes no sense to have alignment specs set in "sport" mode which lowers the ride height a bit especially when the default setting is in "auto".

Thanks for the reply and look forward to reading what the rep told you about running issue.

DB
    I went back to the dealership and service advisor said they had no other complaints. One of the mechanics was sitting there and he told me that it was difinitely the MDS system and there was no fix for it at this time. I have done a lot of research and there are a lot of blogging about this issue in all Chrysler/ Jeep/ Dodge vehicles with the Hemi MDS system I f you put it in tow/haul mode it will turn the mds off. I tried it and it seamed to work---but as we know I shouldn't have to do this. Also, they are saying that Jeep service can turn the MDS system. Apparently it will affect gas mileage a little. Bottom line, I am going file an official complaint under my states Lemon Law and see what Jeep says. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks
    Filed a request for a Lemon Law buyback through Chrysler Customer Service last Friday. Received a call from Chrysler Regional Dealer Rep on Tuesday and again today. Asked to set up appointment to drive the vehicle next Wednesday. Thanks for passing along the latest information on the MDS. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes next week and please post any new updates on your situations. Together maybe we can finally get to the bottom of this problem since it seems at least the dealers are still in denial there is even a problem.
    I have not filed yet--let me know what he says---I really dont want a buy back--just want it fixed---but will do it if I have to---Thanks for the update
  • khullingerkhullinger Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I am working on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L engine, I had the heads off because of the vehicle overheating and had the heads milled and all valves and seats replaced, while into the engine I replaced the timing chains and guides, now I can't get it set up right, I keep bending the intake valve on cylinder #1 and I don't know what I am doing wrong, I have all the timing marks lined up according to my information from jeep, with the crank marks at 12 and 6 o'clock and the cam sprockets lined up with the L on the the left side and the R on the right side, then after rotating the engine 2 revolutions the v8 marks are at 12 o'clock and the crank is at 12 and 6 o'clock, but I still bend the valve, any suggestions on what i am doing wrong?
  • harryenglshharryenglsh Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 jeep Gr. Cher. Loredo starts but will suddenly die. there is no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Sometimes it will start after a while. Very intermittent issue. Not convinced it is the fuel pump b/c the pump makes the right sound when ignition is turned on.
  • tht828tht828 Member Posts: 4
    Since the problem is very intermittent you could have something that is being sucked up and clogging the pickup tube or fuel screen of the fuel pump. After the vaccuum bleeds down the object falls odd and allpws the fuel tankin the gas tank. After the vacuum
  • rbwbrbwb Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know where to go from here. Misfire on #4 (P0304), have replaced plugs, coil and fuel injector. The after erasing the code, it came back, erased code again. Code stayed off for two weeks then came back. Replaced one plug at #4, swapped coil, run inhector cleaner through and erased the code. Code came back on the next day. Erased code, copde came back on within two weeks. What now?
  • tht828tht828 Member Posts: 4
    Had a similar intermittent problem with my '04 4.0. Turned out to be a bad wire going to the fuel injector. Seems I over stretched the wire while changing the coil rail. Drove me crazy for until I took it to the dealer.
  • finest018finest018 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 grand Cherokee 4x4 Laredo. I noticed that it is very sluggish. It takes a lot of effort to accelerate the vehicle. About a week later I had to drive a loaner car while I had something fixed. The loaner car was the exact same model just 2 years older. It was 2 identical cars but the loaner car was not sluggish at all. If you step lightly on the has the car would move fast. Why the difference?
    Sorry for the delayed update.. I finally met with Chrysler west coast dealer rep and engineer who went for several rides and recorded data on the engine performance. Bottom line is that the hesitation / fluttering is not the engine according to the test results. Instead, they "believe" it may be a bad torque converter that is causing the problem. I'm scheduled to have that part replaced later this week. The saga continues....
    Thanks for the update---Will be looking forward to hearing if the fix worked.
  • wolfcat244wolfcat244 Member Posts: 2
    i have had the same problem. I bought my jeep in august, had about 30000 miles i got extended warranty i had it three months when it started to act up. it would not start and had the trans over temp message. then it worked fine. one day it would not. had it towed and dealer said it was starter. worked fine for 3 more months. it did it again on thursday but started. worked fine sunday and would not start sunday night. had it towed again, the dealer now said it is a module that will cost me $650 because it is not covered under the warranty i purchased. i now have 35500 miles on it. :mad:
  • virginianjeepvirginianjeep Member Posts: 8
    I also have a terrible "hesitation" in my 2011 GJC. Its was manufactured 8/10, and I've now taken it in twice and the dealer insures me they have updated it for the flash update. It still does the exact same thing... low speed hesitation and then a quick surge. Pretty sad, especially in snow or wet conditions. Has anyone had any luck with a fix?