Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What is this thing worth?

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Has the market begun to soften on these, or is it in that 'good options' world of high prices?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A documented car that has low production numbers and good options will always at least retain value in this flat market (it may even drop in value if it was really overheated in price); but the clones and NOM cars and salvage cars and questionable vehicles will take a beating...are taking a beating. Also street rods, etc. are getting bloodied.

Many of these cars are now going overseas in large numbers, as Europeans are bargain shopping and don't much care about authenticity, or don't care as much.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Oh - I clearly recognize that a 1969 L78 HI-Perf 4 speed SS with build sheet and the other options would be "worth" more to someone looking for a prime example of 1960's Camaro Hi Performance than my TH400 street cruiser. Other than the Yenko 427s and the Nickey 427s and the COPO Camaros, that is the zenith of Camaro big block performance - AND in a convertible to boot. As they say, everything is for sale for the right price. The question is - what is the right price, and that may very from one to another in the free market. While some of these reproductions and clones may be immaculate, they are still not original factory cars, and in that sense. to my way of thinking, almost a kit car. It has seemed to me that cars with pedigrees are accorded some kind of premium in the market place. I suspect my car is "worth" in the $50-75,000 range - to the right person. ?Does not really matter other than for insurance - I am not selling! I proposed to my wife in that car, graduated law school, won pure stock E class drag races against 440 GTXs, 340 Dusters, other 396 Camaros in "grudge" matches and have just simply had a blast with it. Too many memories on top of its rarity. Would love to know the production numbers though - 1968 Camaro Convertibles with SS/RS, 396/350, TH400, let alone the color. Would any one know where to find them? I saw one other car like it about 4 years ago on ebay for $35,000. It was LOADED - including those fiber optic light things on the front fenders. Forgot to mention that mine also has the bumble bee stripe. Thanks for the responses and the advice.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    You should post some pics of it here, sounds like a lovely old beast.
    You can find production numbers for # of convertibles, # of L34s, # of RSs, # of TH400s, but you won't find numbers for each possible combination. Most people use a form of estimation to arrive at an accurate guess.

For instance, you know that they made 16,927 V8 convertibles, and you know that they made 167, 251 V8 coupes. So you have roughly a 1 to 10 ratio of convertibles to coupes.

Then you know that they made 2, 579 L34 SSs, so you could guessimate that about 10% of those were convertibles.

RSs they made tons of, so no help there (although you'll see claims of "knowing"). One could presume that not all convertible SS were RS. I'd guess maybe 1/4th of them were.

As for the TH400 M40, they made 5,466 of those and over 46,000 4-speeds. Here's a case of where rarity works against you---the 4 speeds, though more common, are worth more than the TH400. So I guess you could estimate total # of Camaros built and divide by 5, 466 and then extrapolate rarity of your car from these ratios.

As for color, I don' think there are any records on # of cars done in each color.

You have to be careful about "rarity of options". Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't matter at all.

Supply and demand dictates market, not rarity of options by themselves.

There are tons of good books and lots of internet info on production numbers. With some effort you could probably find out a great deal about your car.

As for value, here again, one has to see the car to really know. Personally I can't see a #3 car selling for $75K.

The appraiser doesn't work on one sale one time. The appraiser's job is to find the real market, and discount the "steals" who got one cheap from the widow, and the drunks who might have overbid at Barrett Jackson.
    Will take some shots and do so when I next get out to the country where it is garaged.
    No arggument with your opinion - I would say it is a #2/#3 in condition, but that is for the appraiser to say. But I will say this - it is a documented two owner rust free bondo free accident free car with an original 87,000 miles driven on weekends only after 1973, pure stock, all matching numbers. I dare say you don't see too many of those in Camaros - many cars are cobbled up, replacement engines, clones, not true SS's or RS's - there are so many visual tell tales - I see "SS/RS combinations" for sale all the time without the proper rear taillight arrangement - full tail light and back up lights below the bumper - improper gauges, 10 bolt rear ends with big block engines, the wrong "vents" on the hood, wrong tach for the engine supposedly in the car with the wrong redline, etc.. The value I would think would be in part because of its original immaculate condition versus a pristine clone, or for that matter even one with no numbers matching but otherwise a #2 car - and there are MANY of these out there. I will do some homework and see what I can find. Thanks again.
    Yes the originality of the car will be a big factor in value---that's why it's necessary to get some eyeballs on the car to make any kind of intelligent decision about value.

My attitude about old cars is the same as Carl Sagan's, that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", so, without seeing a car, I tend to be conservative in value estimates since it is so difficult for the owner to be impartial and objective (nor am I about my own cars--LOL!).

Even an appraisal isn't the fair market value sometimes---some appraisers get rather carried away....the soundness of their value is built upon the soundness of the evidence they include in the appraisal. What they "think" isn't the point.

But really original cars are fairly tasty meat for buyers---the only downside of buying an original car is that you can't compete in shows with restored cars and you don't want to mess up the originality with a restoration.

This is being addressed to some extent by car shows that now have a separate "survivor" class for judging.
    Thanks for the tip may just look into that - it might be fun. Certainly get enough thumbs up and heads turning when I drive it.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I like the "survivor" cars that haven't been over restored.

The little scratches, imperfect chrome, interiors that show wear and engine compartments that look like the did when I was a kid in high school etc.

They are only original once.
    "They are only original once. "

How much will that Chip Foose resto-rod with the two-tone paint and the 20" wheels be worth in 10 years? Not so much...
    At the car shows, I'll walk by the modified cars. Although I appreciate the work and expense that went into them, they don't appeal to me.

I know most of the others don't agree with me here but I think a 1956 Chevy should be a 1956 Chevy. It sould have drum brakes and a 265 engine. It shouldn't have a 383 "Stroker" engine or even "vintage air".

Please don't hang a hokey continental kit on it or fender skirts.

I never saw "blue dot" tailights on one as a kid and they do nothing for me now.

I don't care if all of the numbers match and I think modern seat belts and a battery disconnect are a good thing and I don't care if it has a "tar top" battery or the spring type hose clamps etc.

I just want it to look like they did in my youth.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Do you prefer bias ply tires? Some modern radials in a reasonable size are so much nicer.
    I am the same way. I really appreciate untouched original cars. The paint may not be so perfect and it could have a bump here and there - but it is as it was, and it is real. I know more and more shows have preservation classes, so this idea must be more popular. Not to mention it is simply more fiscally responsible than doing some extreme restoration.

I also don't have a problem with some modern driveability updates such as modern tires (they can look old) and electronic ignitions.
    I prefer bias ply tires but I suppose a set of radials that look original are OK.

The car doesn't need a modern electronic ignition syster or yellow spark pug wires either. Points and condenser still work fine. besides, I can "load" the old condensor and hand it to someone.

Our host knows what I'm talking about. :)

Oh, and if it's an old Chevy with a 6 cylinder, it's just fine if it has a split manifold and a sweet set of Smittys on it.
    I am speaking only from MB experience. I know tires are now reproduced that are very good copies of originals. And I just know from my car, the points are really getting hard to find, and they can be sensitive, especially to the weather here...my car got electronic ignition nearly 7 years ago, and I haven't had a need to touch it yet.
    I guess I'm in the middle on this. I have no problem with someone dumping a lot of money into a rusted out shell, 6 or V8, I just don't put the resulting resto rod in the same category as a well-maintained survivor. And as long as the modifications can be reversed, I have no problem with radials and electronic ignitions on those survivors to make day-to-day driving easier.
    It rather depends on what you intend on doing with the car. If you're going to drive it and enjoy it and take the family out in it, a 50s American car really needs better brakes, steering and mechanical upgrades.

Some 50s domestic cars are truly awful to drive in stock form. And on the freeway, you'll never stop in time to avoid rear-ending someone.

So if you plan to motor in it any distance, you have to do something. The foreign jobbies are actually pretty competent (most of them) for most modern roads, unless you get into the big heavy lumps like Jaguar Mark VIIs and other blivets like that.

60s American cars handle "ok". They're just huge is the problem and weigh a lot, so you can't be too frisky.

My view is that unless the car is rare--it's your car, do what you want to it. A '54 Chevy 4-door is not going to be a piece of history.
    If I still had my wonderful 54 Chevy (Bel Air 2 door Powerglide) I would keep it as stock as it was. I woudn't hesitate taking ion the freeway, BUT, I would make sure the brakes were in top shape and well adjusted. I would make sure my steering conponents were in good condition.

And I leave lots of room between me and the car ahead of me. I would stay in the right hand lane and not exceed the speed limit.

I know it would never be a peice of history, but a 54 Chevy just seems to represent all that was America in those years.

I would get personalized plates.." IKE'S ERA"
    Where on the other hand...in my fintail, which has dual circuit discs, radial tires, decent handling (even with the tamed swing axle) I will cruise at 75-80 on the highway and not be terribly worried - maybe only for the lap belts.
    There are many older domestic cars that are worth more as rods than as factory stock.
    And they have thier fans. I have no problem with that and I don't think these cars have been ruined forever.

They just don't appeal to me.
    I agree and disagree with some observations. 50's cars were certainly lacking, by today's standards, with drum brakes, unsophisticated suspension systems - coils front and leaf rear - that also happened to carry over into the pony cars of the 60's and 70's too, and recirculating ball steering.. Does that make them inherently unsafe? No. They are perfectly safe to take the family out in - like they were then. As safe as today? No. But using using the logic that the 50's cars were unsafe, and the speed limits then were 65 on the NYS Thruway for example, should the speed limit now be 80+ because of fully independent suspensions, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering radial tires, and airbags? And 60's American cars? Well, my father's '61 Pontiac Ventura handled very well, the mid 60's Chryslers (Fury , Polara) handled well, the '64 Pontiac GTO went head to head with a Ferrari GTO in C&D, and basically stock cars raced in Trans Am races initially - the '67 Z28 and '69 Boss 302 being bilt in order to homologate them for racing. Full size Chevies with the heavy duty, sports or the F41 suspension were very good handling full size cars - and I am sure other full size Ford and Chrysler cars had similar suspension options. Not everyone wants or needs a car that handles and rides like a sports car just to go to work and the grocery store. And the '65 Corvair Corsa was a phenomenal handling car with oversize drum brakes from the Chevelle (reversed front/rear) with which I shamed many an MGB, TR4, Sunbeam Alpine, other sports cars of similar caliber. Have full size cars been improved since then? Yes, just like Mercedes and VW have improved by dropping the swing axle suspension so criticized on the early Corvairs.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I don't mind the mild upgrades and even some of the heavy customs, but I am glad there are hardliners like you out there. Otherwise we might eventually end up without any original cars.
    Ditto! :)
    I still remember my father's '55 Chevy Bel Air 2 door sedan with the 265 V8 - turquoise blue with white top. We traveled on the NYS Thruway at 65 MPH (speed limit) in that car. Were the brakes, suspension and steering comparable to today's standards? Of course not. Was the car "unsafe" - - sure if driven imprudently, as is ANY car - even today's. If the car were driven within its liimits and for its intended purpose - a family sedan - go visit relatives, to the grocery store, to work, using proper judgment for braking distances like you still have to today regardless of what you are driving, it was a perfectly safe vehicle. Did padded dashes, seatbelts, shoulder harnesses, collapsing steering columns, crush zones, etc. make cars safer? Of course. My then 45 year old parents were hit head on in their '66 Bonneville Convertible on Central Ave. in Albany, NY by a guy drag racing from the other direction who lost control. They were injured, thankfully not badly, and the car totaled. Just recently my now 81 year old parents were broadsided in their 2008 Camry Hybrid - and not a scratch. So yes many of today's cars are have better brakes, steering, more sophisticated suspension systems, and are engineered for the cars to absorb impact and the passengers kept safe within a non-crushable space, further cocooned with air bags galore so when the car IS hit the interior is like being inside a marshmallow.

I agree with you about driving the '54 Chevy. Do it wisely, don't exceed the car's capabilities, and you will be fine. :)
    Since I get to drive quite a few 50s and 60s cars in my work, perhaps I am sensitive to their limitations. Their competence varies, but with many 50s cars, you'd have to drive so cautiously as to be a real hazard on a modern freeway.

Sure, as long as the modifications are not irreversible, I'd have no problem modifying any car, rare or not. You can always change them back.

You can't save everything. Most old cars are not worth saving in their original form. We have all the cars in all the museums we will ever need so as to remember what a '54 Chevy looked like. As well as all the stagecoaches, buggies, farm equipment and suits of armor we need.

If a person wants to spend $50,000 restoring a '51 Packard 4-door sedan, that's their business---go have fun---but don't act hurt and disappointed when a) nobody notices it and b) you are offered $6,000 for it. You can't have it both ways.
    "but with many 50s cars, you'd have to drive so cautiously as to be a real hazard on a modern freeway."

The biggest problem - brakes. Sure, a '55 can stop as well as it ever did, but now everyone around you has vastly superior brakes, and are used to it. The car in front nails his, you can't, uh-oh :sick:
    "...you'd have to drive so cautiously as to be a real hazard on a modern freeway."

So true! :) There is no question or argument - thank God we have come a long way. Remember vacuum operated windshield wipers! The faster you went the slower they moved! Brakes were horrible - but the worst car I ever drove for braking was my father's 1967 Eldorado - front wheel drive, DRUM brakes, 5500 pounds EMPTY. Want a real thrill - try stopping that thing in an emergency stop! The '68 had front discs. GM engineering never made sense to me - they put the '65 Chevelle brakes (reversed front/rear) in the Corvair giving it pretty decent stopping power for its time, 4 wheel discs in the Corvette in '65, but put a 5500 pound front wheel drive Cadillac(!?) on the street without discs???!!!! Why??? :confuse: That car, with a Pinto in front of it, would be a recipe for disaster!
    Sometimes when I drive the older cars, I forget how clumsy they are on twisty roads, and I really have to slow down (instead of doing a familiar turn at 50 mph I have to do it at 25), and man, the cars behind really pile up on you.

Also brake fade is treacherous when you forget to "nurse" them, say in the hills of San Francisco. You can lose brakes on a 50s car (snap!) just like that and go cruisin' right through an intersection.

But if you can nurse 'em through the turns and really soft-pedal the brakes, you can get by all right in a 50s car.

It's best to drive them in convoy on tours, on less-traveled roads and with a support vehicle.

There's no reason why you can't take a well-maintained 50s car all across the country--it's just going to take you a while.

This is why (to sorta get back on topic) the interest in old cars has shifted to a) the 60s cars and b) modifying the 50s cars.

People nowadays want to DRIVE and ENJOY their cars, and the 50s just doesn't cut it in stock form.
    While I think you can still drive a stock '50's car and enjoy it for what it is, as long as you stay within its limits, your remarks are otherwise well stated. A nice relaxing drive in the country in a '53 Buick Skylark, '57 Eldorado Biarritz, '57 Chevy Bel Air, or '57 DeSoto Convertible with the top down, temp in the 70's, in no hurry can be very cathartic.
    Exactly. If I buy another 1954 Chevy I probably wouldn't even take it on the freeway especially in heavy traffic.

Once when I was at an Army Summer Camp at Fort Chronkhite, a bunch of us piled in a 1959 Chevy Station Wagon and drove all through San Francisco.

After decending several STEEP hills, the brakes overheated and faded to the point that we slid through a red light. Luckilly the coast was clear but it scared the hell out of us.

For those who don't know, San Francisco has some hills so steep that the sidewalks have stairs and railings!

Today, I would know better and I wouldn't have pushed that old Chevy past it's limits. as long as you don't do that, you'll be fine.
    Re: San Francisco driving

Stopped at a stop sign in Pacific Heights in our 1998 Mercury Marquis rental 4 door sedan. The hill was so steep and the hood so long, I could not see over it whether the way was clear! You have to experience it to believe it, though the race scense and camera work in Bullitt do a pretty good job. Coudn't even see over the hood of that Mustang sometimes! Could not imagine drum brakes there.

I have experienced disc brake fade with only one car - the '68 Camaro. Was in a rally and got lost - had to make up time and really worked the car hard - even those dual piston front brakes heated up enough to fade on me. At least they did not get flooded with water the way the old drum brakes did when you went through a deep enough puddle.
    I was once driving through San Francisco when I came to an intersection with that had a sign that said " HILL". I thought, what the heck, this whole city is nothing but hills?

As I started to decend this hill, I realized this was the Mother Superior of all hills!

This was a HILL like I had never seen in my life!

Maybe the same hill you went down? I can't remember where in The City that hill was but it was something else!

Another time, I was driving up a very steep hill in my brand new Toyota Celica when I noticed there were street car tracks! I hoped I didn't run into one going down the hill but, sure enough, I heard the familiar bells!

In case anyone doesn't know, those things can't stop!

I had to throw the Celica in reverse and get out of there FAST!

Try backing down a steep, narrow hill with cars on both sides!

Luckilly, there was a small alley I was able to back into before the trolly clanged past me! I was sweating!
    There is the famous story oft told in San Francisco about the cable car banging its bell furiously for a car in front to get out of the way, and the driver casually lowered the window and attempted to wave the cable car around.

Actually the cable cars CAN stop really well, but that usually dumps all the passengers into the street, so they don't do that.

I once had to drive an old Bugatti through San Francisco with CABLE brakes. Luckily I knew the city well and went only on the flats.
    "Wave the cable car around"...Now THAT is funny!

I wonder how they managed in the days of the Model A's?
    I was stopped facing uphill. The car was literally pointing at the sky - that was all I could see out the windshield, the angle was so steep!

Well, back to subject. We got way off!
    "I wonder how they managed in the days of the Model A's? "

You might be surprised at what some of those old cars could handle - rutted, rough roads were often the only roads, and they had pretty low gearing to deal with it.
    I had a Model A.

Totally original and unrestored.

Mine actually stopped fairly well. If I slammed on the brakes one or two of the wheels would actually lock up and skid. Of course, 40 MPH was about it.

They were geared very low. I have no isea what the rear end ratio was.

I suppose people just put them in low gear and creeped down those steep hills.

In a Model A, it doesn't take much of an accident to get the occupants killed.
    The movies of the Model Ts on the dirt (mud) roads are good to watch. I grew up with a 1911 Regal, family went on tours frequently, some of my best memories.
    You can buy a nice Model A pretty cheap these days.

I'm partial to the 4-door Town Sedan because it's the only one with a decent amount of room for the driver. Americans must have been a lot smaller in 1928.
    How cheap? I kinda miss the one I had.

It was a 1930.

Mine was just a 2 door coupe witout a rumble seat. Beige with yellow wire wheels.

So, Calif rust free car that I bought from the second owner in about 1972. I remember he bought it from the first owner in 1948.

It ran good, and MAN could it ever backfire when I wanted to get rid of dogs that would chase it!
    I think I could find you a pretty decent Model A right now for about $6,000, ready to roll, and reasonably attractive. This is, of course, for the less popular body styles.
    My body style was one of the less desirable ones but it did have the cowl lights which gave it a good look.

Help me here...when I was a kid working in a gas station, we let a guy park his Model A on our lot with a For Sale sign in it. It was totally stock and it had a top that looked like a convertable top but I don't think it actually went down.

Am I right? It had a rumble seat,it ran OK and he wanted 250.00 for it if I recall correctly.

We also had a customer who traded his 1955 Chevy Bel Air for a 1931 Model A Victoria. Ever see one of those?
    I think the fake convertibles might have been called "sport coupes", these even had landau bars.

The victoria was a fairly elegant body for that car.
    Oh yeah, we still have a fair number of Model As running around California. I often see one at least once a week.

You have to remember, they made a LOT of them, and the aftermarket for Model As is probably the largest (or was) aftermarket in the world at one time.

My brother bought a Model A for $35, in 1964 I think it was, he told me (he's older than me, as you might gather).

I once won a '59 Chevy in a poker game, in lieu of $75 debt. I used it for a while when I taught high school in Brooklyn New York. It was a car they could not further destroy to get even with me. :P
    Speaking of Model A's.

A family member inherited one recently. It's a Model A Pickup truck.

Do it yourself restoration done years ago, then it was parked. It hasn't been started fior probably ten years. For many years, it was on display at a plumbing store in Portland Oregon. It had been the service truck for years before being restored and retired.

It is rust free and straight. The engine looks like it has just been overhauled and it turns over freely. The fenders are fiberglass but the originals are with the truck and they look so good I don't know why they were even replaced.

The family that owns it now has no interest in doing anything to it and it is stored in a garage and ignored.

The truck is totally original and nothing has been modified.

Are trucks worth more or less than cars? Shifty? Want to take a stab at it's value?

I'll bet I could get it running in an hour!
    Sounds like $3K-$4. The pickups are worth more than the A coupes but less than the open cars and about the same as the 4-door. You should lowball it and see what happens, since it's not running---offer $2,500, that's fair enough, You can always get it running and spiffed up a bit and flip it for $5K-$6K if you don't like it.

Model As are great fun and you can buy any part you need---ANY part, shipped right to your door. And of course, easy to fix except for a few items that take GRUNT like the rear leaf spring. The engine has about as many moving parts as a Vermont wood stove.

Biggest issue is fitting yourself behind the steering wheel. As are *very* tight in there. Not sure why Henry built 'em like that, but I'm sure he had a rational for it---he always did, even if it was totally wrong.

I just love flipping the advance lever and idle speed lever on the steering wheel and stromping down on the starter pedal and listening to that WHIRR....WHIRR....GASP....pocketa-pocketa......
    It's not for sale, at least not now anyway.

I remember once when one of our cars was in the shop, I had to press the Model A into daily service. Luckilly, my commute was only about five miles each way.

After work one day, the battery had run down and it wouldn't start.

I got out the crank but after hearing many scary stories, I was afraid to use it! I stuck it in the hole and gently turned it.

Then, this "old guy" he was probably 65, yelled at me...

" Hey there! do ya know what you're doing"

" Ah...not really"

He walked over..." Let me start that son of a &%$# for ya"

He adjusted the spark and throttle levers and walked to the front of the car.

" Now, if you advance the spark too much, the SOB will backfire and break your arm if you're not holding it right...here's how ya hold it!"

And he vigorously cranked it over and over until it gasped and started!

The, he jumped behind the wheel and expertly adjusted spark and throttle until it just purred!

" Does the horn still work? "

"Sure, try it"

Ah....oooooooga!

I got home just before dark which was a good thing. It still had the original headlights and the reflectors needed to be "resilvered"
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Now that is a funny story.