Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Comments

• fourteen14fourteen14 Member Posts: 85
    I cleaned my 2006 Azera, put my checkbook in my pocket, and went to my local Hyundai dealer intent upon ordering a new Genesis Coupe. Unfortunately, I will not be driving this car that looks so good online and on paper! Everything was good to go! The Coupe is much nicer in person than online! Then I climbed into the driver’s seat. Ouch! Let me out of here! The seats are absolutely horrible!! Like sitting on a 5-gallon pail with the open side up! The bolsters are so aggressive, so vertical, so close together, and so hard that they make sitting in the Coupe unbearable! The flat part of the seat, where I should be sitting, is so narrow that my hip bones rest on the bolsters rather than the flat of the seat. At 6’-1” and 220# I am not a Korean teenager, but not really that large for an American male either!
    The hunt for a new car goes on! BTW, the seats in the Nissan 370Z are even worse!!

:lemon:
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    You might want to try one of the D3 muscle car coupes. Their seats are designed for big AmeriCANs. :P
    ""go from 210 to near 230 horses which should improve your 0-60 times from 7.2-7.5 sec to 6.7-6-9 range""

WOW! Cut 0-60 by over half a second with less than 20 extra horsepower!!! Those Korean horses must be H U G E !!!!
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Sounds to me like your a lil too big around the hips for this car. Beteer off in one of the D3 coupes. Sorry
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Well the Genesis Coupe is on my shortlist for my next new car. I am a sucker for the new models, currently batting .500 on my last 4 cars. Troubles with a ‘98 Olds Intrigue, ‘01 Acura CL had transmission issues. Currently have an ‘03 Mazda 6, and an ‘05 Nissan Xterra. Owned a lot of different brands over the years, but never a Hyundai.

I test droved the Genesis sedan, like it a lot just not sure I want to spend mid 30 or more. Didn’t have time to drive the coupe as it was closing time. But I sat in a 3.8 Grand Touring it to make certain it was a fit for me. I like the setup inside, colors, material on seem pretty decent for a 30k coupe. Love the looks, and RWD setup.

Here are my negative thoughts, I’m a bit disappointed that the steering wheel does not telescope. I don’t think it will be a big factor for me personally, however the other half may have a bit of a problem. No memory seats ?? Heated seats with only an on/off, no hi/lo or variable settings. Even a 25k Mazda-3 has variable heated seats. Love the A/C seats in the sedan, but they should be for the passenger too !!

I’m anxiously waiting for some feedback from owners.
    Not Camaro! Both my wife (5'-9" & 140#) and I (6'-1" & 220#) found the Camaro's passenger seat too low, too narrow, and not even power on the 'top of the line' SS/RS!!

Actually, it's not about me! It's about why do automakers design 'sporty' models with little seats with big bolsters! Are all people over 6' and 200# supposed to only drive SUV or trucks!??!

PS: I don't know of anyone who has fallen out of a car seat because the bolsters weren't big enough!!!!

PPS: So far this year I have been 99% ready to buy first the Genesis Coupe, then the Nissan 370Z, and then the Camaro SS!! I rejected all three because of their small uncomfortable seats!!

• nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    Not overly impressed- way too much road noise and the turbo was a disppointment. I am a fan of Hyundai-own a 05 elantra Gt and previously owned 5 other Hyundai's
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    what' really not to like here? I mean, yeah, nitpicking this beauty to death will be practiced ad naseum, I'd just like to enjoy this pup from a distance and not pick it to pieces. White does it right, bro's.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• dczarkdczark Member Posts: 19
    Got a Red V6, 6 speed manual transmission. Fully loaded (Nav-Bluetooth-upgraded Infinity sound).

They could not get me a Track so they agreed to put the rear spoiler on which I think looks nice and is reported to have functionality at approx 100MPH which my car hits on a semi-regular basis. I also own the V8 Sedan. The V8 is markedly faster, and the 17 speaker Lexicon is also noticeably better (acoustics are incredible in the sedan), but no biggie as the Coupe does what I need it to do. Kick off the ESC and Drift around turns smoking the tires all the way. Very fun to drive...

Love them both... So for just over $65k I have 2 outstanding performing cars. Virtually every option you can imagine (need). Hyundai continues to excel and I'm a convert since my first Sonata back in 2006.

Great cars, great value... I'm not into "badges"/ "over paying". I happily (and safely)blow away the more expensive Lexus, BMW's Acuras on a regular basis.. Especially in the V8 sedan. That car is incredibly fast and controlable in all conditions. Then I slow down so they can see what just just smoked them... Yep..A Hyundai !! More of my friends now realize that they are overpaying for their "badges" and are considering Hyundais next time around. Smart friends I have...

The Coupe rides on a rail. Although I wanted the Track edition, I'm happy now that I get a bit of a better ride and still outstanding handling.
    have you had any problems with the handling and ride of your Genesis sedan? I remember reading people complaining of a noise from the front suspension like a tennis ball bouncing around or something.

And, from what I've read of Hyundai's reaction to the complaints, they haven't come up with any fix for this "problem." Is that happening to your Genesis sedan?

BTW-congrats on your new Genesis'. Great acquisitions!

Post a pic of your red Coupe if you can, OK? I love red cars. My current car, that I just love, is a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red color.

• wben99wben99 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought the 3.8 Grand Touring version with the integrated Nav/Bluetooth System. My iPhone paired right away with the Bluetooth, but none of my contacts transferred so I have nothing in the Nav's Phonebook. Also, the system doesn't look like it lets you enter phone contacts manually.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Hi wben99,

My phone pairs automatically and then "asks" me to allow the contacts to pair. works great !! The car is so new I have not gotten into seeing if I can "permanently upload my contacts once...I would suggest talking to your dealer to see if they can trouble shoot. It should work..
    Hi iluvmysephia1,

I have had no noise issues with my V8 Genesis Sedan with regards to suspension. Also, I find the suspension just fine. Is it like a Lexus 460LS? No...not that smooth-spongy, but then again, the Lexus is $75k. I decided to save $35k and forego a ride that is so soft you can't be sure if you are really driving, [non-permissible content removed] gas mileage, not as quick (even though it's got more HP-the 2009) heated and a/c in the rear seats for the much more affordable and IMHO, better performing Genesis.

I feel the suspension issues are overblown. Car rides great... Not looking to get into it with anyone, but if they feel there is an issue, they are likely used to the cushy ride of other luxury sedans. Don't get me wrong, this car rides great. 80 - 100 MPH and you would think your doing 50 MPH. But does the rear take a horizontal bump as well as the over priced competition, no. But is it a problem? Again, not in my humble opinion.
    Hello again iluvmysephia1

I'll get pics up of the Red Genesis coupe.... Before and after I have the rear spoiler installed next week.
    With regards to handling?? Lets just say no luxury sedan has stayed with me into and through some nice highway turns (and I'm not a professional driver) and that includes a Nissan Z. But I think the Nissan Z driver had no clue what his car could do. The Genesis sedan handles incredibly well. No cushy BS here... Lay it into the corner and it holds... Scares the crap out of some of my passengers-but I get their permission first as I'm not not scaring people unexpectedly, even when I know the turn and know I can do it 15-20 MPH faster as I have in the past... The car does not want to leave the road...
    Thanks dczark.

Is the phone you are using an iPhone 3G too?

I actually did spend a couple hours Friday at the dealer. As you said, the Hyundai nav/bluetooth system is so new that they really haven't had enough experience to be any help. Interestingly, the brand of phone that seems to work best with the system is "LG". We fooled with it for a while, but I still couldn't get it to upload any of the "contacts" from my iPhone. They also couldn't figure out how to manually enter the contacts individually. More research required.
    thanks for the Genesis sedan suspension update. Actually the complaints have been lodged but specifically just what is bothering them I don't know. It did sound like something that wouldn't bother me anyway, either.

Yeah, just whenever you get your spoiler put on take a pic of two and post them on your Carspace page. Then copy them over here. Love to see them. Enjoy your Genesis'!

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Smart friends I have..."

Well, actually, not really. If they were truly smart, they wouldn't have been sucked to the the overpriced "badges" the first time! :P ;)
    With all due respect to "smart friends".. I find the smartest people are capable of keeping an "open mind" and had no idea how good a car Hyundai was putting out. Once they saw the Hyundais I have purchased the past few years (Sonata, Santa Fe, Azera, Genesis Sedan and now the Genesis Coupe), they get to see "real world" what these cars can do.

On the other hand, I feel there is one thing to be said when you buy a BMW, Lexus, Acura etc... for the uneducated buyer... you are sure to get a solidly built car that performs well. The brands I mentioned above are great cars, no debate there... However, Hyundais are as good or better in some respects and less in others, but from a "price point" Hyundai is the clear winner, by far !!
    Hello again wben99...

I have an LG now that you mention it... I just checked... It's a basic phone, nothing fancy... When I start the car, it automatically pairs and accepts my contacts. Since the Nav and Blue tooth just came out on the Coupe a couple months ago and the hardware and software are clearly different then what is in the Genesis Sedan, I would guess they need a software upgrade to accept the i Phone. I suggest calling corporate. I found them to be very receptive to Genesis inquires. They are very eager to help and actually follow up with a phone call or two to make sure things are ok.

My wife has been driving the Sedan and paired her phone and IPOD with the Sedan. She said that my phone contacts and IPOD songs are permanently stored on the sedan.

Happy Holidays !!
    Yeah, I agree about the "open mind" thing. I don't think we can lump Acura with the rest of the premium brands, even though I own one. I think if Honda is not careful, the Koreans are going to overtake them. I have some problem with the direction Honda is going with their newer models.
    There is no question in my mind that the Koreans are out to get a "much" bigger piece of the American car market and the only way to do that is to build very high quality cars and under price them to make up for the garbage they used to build in the 1990's. Hyundai had a bad rap, and earned it.. Now we are benefiting by getting these outstanding cars for great prices... Resale value still lags significantly, but that will adjust in time.

IMHO, the entire car industry needs to worry as Hyundai continues to produce outstanding vehicles, increased styles and incredible prices...
    with higher Hyundai and Kia vehicle pricing, a better build quality reputation, as is happening, good consumer reports on their cars, which is also happening, resale values ought to be rising for both of these S.Korean carmakers. Like right now it should be happening. At least it should be in the process of improving significantly.

Hi dczark

Thanks for the tip on calling corporate. I'll try them. It has to be a major headache for all of the car manufacturers to keep up with all the different phones that come on the market, but the iPhone is so popular that I bet they'll make an effort to get it right.

LG makes the more basic phones, and is in Hyundai's backyard in Korea, so I'm not surprised that the system is "tuned" to the LG phones.

Thanks for your responses!
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    I just got a quote from a Hyundai dealer in Dallas, TX for a 3.8 Track V6 MT w/Nav coupe for $28,588? Does that sound like a good deal? I'm new to the forum. Thanks............
    I think that's a good price... I would still try to get another $500 off and maybe split the difference if he won't go that far... I also assume this car has Sunroof and is fully loaded, since it has the Nav it's likely fully loaded... Also, I suggest you ask about the miles hopefully no more than 30 miles on it... I'm not a fan of Demos on performance cars... But if your leasing it's not as important... Buying, your stuck with it if someone beat the piss out of it for 100 + miles... I had that experience with a Mitsubishi Turbo Eclipse in 1999 and learned my mistake... Car had 200 miles on it and was nothing but a headache...

Good Luck !!
    I think the CEOs of all the Japanese car manufacturers were interviewed recently, and to a man, they all said Hyundai is the one company they fear the most. Not the German brands, of course not the American Big 3, but the Koreans.

The Koreans are basically using the same strategy the Japanese used year ago --- high-quality, high-content vehicles at a bargain price.
    Short of driving it into a lake, I'm not sure any significant longterm damage can be done in 100 miles for so. You gotta remember, the drop-outs that they hire to load and unload cars at the docks drive the sh*t out of the vehicles.
    Thanks for the tip about multible miles on the car. Sounds like a good thing to look for, of which, I will certainly do. I like "new" to be "new".

The Internet salesman's email reads in part........."your New 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track pkg with navigation which lists for $31,465 at a reduced rate of $28,588 plus TT&L." That's $2,977 off MSRP and $1,032 under Invoice. I agree with you that I should bargain the additional $500 off. I mean, who pays the dealer his first asking price anyway, whatever it may be? Right??? ;)
    Do you know if Hyundai is offering any rebates/incentives on the coupe at this time?

Thanks again!
  • kwakasmithkwakasmith Member Posts: 29
    cards28, the following link suggests that dealers had $1000 upto yesterday. Guess the Dec incentives won't be clear until tomorrow.

http://www.creditunionsvc.com/auto/ratesnew.cfm?thetype=Dealer

Rgds
  • montereycamontereyca Member Posts: 1
    My 350z got stolen last month so I was forced to look for a new vehicle. In the past I've owned a Camaro, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Altima, Nissan Frontier, Ford Mustang and Toyota MR2. I thought I'd buy a BMW, Audi, Lexus or Infiniti to replace my Z. Well, after driving my rental (Sonata) for a couple of weeks I became impressed with the Hyundai so I checked out their dealership along with everyone elses. I was impressed with the Hyundai Salesman and impressed with the Hyundai lineup. I ended up buying the Genesis Coupe V6 GT. The Honda dealer tried to tell me I made a poor decision and that I should have went with a Honda because they last forever... my answer to him was that if they were so confident about their vehicle then put a 10yr warranty on it. I know Honda and Toyota sells quality vehicles but from what I have experienced so far - so does Hyundai. I used to be a Nissan faithful but I think Hyundai may have converted me for good.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    1 thing for sure, not all 350Z's last forever! Sorry for your troubles!

Don't let Hyundai convert you for good. It's a great car at a great price (and warranty!) now, but if something better comes along later, go for it. Don't be loyal to 1 brand. Many, many people miss out on a good thing by being brand loyal. Brand loyalty makes no sense these days, because all major brands have great quality. Do what's best for you, and force the car makers fight for your business!

Happy New Year to all,,,
  • artsportsartsports Member Posts: 2
    Performance & ecu tuning company

Turbo kit
    Supercharger kit
    Metal clutch kit
    Navigation indash kit

check link title

• carnut86carnut86 Member Posts: 16
    Just helped mom purchase sonata LTD today. In the process I test drove genesis coupe V6 with track package & nav. Aswm car. I personaly never liked hyundai at all. Never liked any of thier cars but this car changed my mind about Hyundai. I will b purchasing this car in June of this year. I'm looking for 3 yr 36 lease. I'm putting $0 down and would like my payments to be Between $300.00 & $350.00 per month. Only interested in 3.8 with nav.
  • tucatuca Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    there was a demo car with 3k miles
    3.8 track with auto and navi... had special lease for...$299 with $3500 down for 36 month, 12k/yr..

is this good lease deal?
    Leasing a car is never a good way to get a car. Answer the question: Who owns the car at the end of the lease period? Answer: The dealer. You've made all those monthly payments and come away with nothing. The equity goes to the dealer. And, if you do read the contract carefully. If you go over the mileage for the lease period you'll have to pay a stiff penalty for each mile over the limit and watch out out for normal wear and tear clause. Don't do it!!!
    In some cases, your lease payments wouldn't be much different from the depreciation suffered after a similar time period. And if you're unfortunately enought to have a major accident with the car, or the car turns out to be a lemon, your depreciation may be much greater than the total of your lease payments. :cry:
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    Leasing a car is never a good way to get a car.

That is certainly your opinion. There are pluses and minuses to it as with everything. If you don't mind always having a car payment and only drive 12 - 15k a year leasing isn't that bad. You basically are paying the depriciation with no variables. The maintenance costs are minimal and the car is under warranty the entire time you own it. I do believe that if you buy a car and drive it until the wheels fall off you will spend less money in the long run, however if you trade out every 3 - 4 years leasing becomes a much better option.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Good points, but I'd add one to it - do NOT put "money down" on a lease. All you're doing is lowering the payment, and if the car were to be totaled, that downpayment is gone.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yep, and a common misconception is gap insurance would cover the money down. It won't.

Nope - it only covers the amount owed if it's higher than the vehicle's value. If you put money down, you owe less... so the (usually required) gap insurance would be of less value to you too.

Save the downpayment money, and just use it to help cover the lease payments.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

GAP insurance is provided by the Lessor though, right?
    I'm not a leasing expert, nor do I play one in these forums. :) I *believe* it is provided through them, though the lessee will, of course, pay for it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

It depends on the leasing company. For example, last I checked Toyota Financial does not include GAP in its leases but has no disposition fee, Hyundai Financial includes GAP but also has a $450 dispo fee. You pay for it one way or another. Either way check with the dealer if its included or not, chances are if its not included they will be interested in selling it to you.

I am open to being corrected, but I believe that most lease finance companies require gap insurance.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I would like to hear some reports from Coupe owners. How does is drive? How is the comfort and quiet at highway speed, and how is handling when you push it on twisty roads?
    but I believe that most lease finance companies require gap insurance.

I am not sure, however, I would say that most just include it. The last three vehicles I leased (two through Hann financial, and one through Hyundai Financial did. However, back in 2000 on my Solara it was optional with Toyota Financial.

• roll875roll875 Member Posts: 4
    anyone have major trouble driving genesis coupe in snow and ice
    What's disposition fee?