Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Fusion Spy Shots

andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
Spy shots like that don't tell us much. All we can tell is that they've sanded off the edges and rounded the shape. The current Fusion is less crisp and good-looking that the original, let's hope this one isn't.

Those wheels look pretty ugly.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Looks like the first implementation of the new face/grill of the Ford Evos concept. Goodbye Gillette - Hello Catfish!!

As for the rims, they are covered in the same swirly camo as some of the car itself.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Goodbye Gillette - Hello Catfish!!

Uh-oh...I'm getting a premonition of "Suddenly it's 1996!" As in, Ford Taurus. Gawd, I hope not!
    It's not bad IMHO. I think Ford got to keep some design cues from Aston and Jaguar after the sales. This is the Evos:

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'm not digging the new Ford look like on Fiesta and Focus (and don't care for the Hyundai Sonata much either), but I give them credit for differentiating their vehicle styles. I also don't care much for the new interiors.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    If it is anything like the Mondeo, it is going to be a nice looking car. I am loving that automakers are putting some style in each vehicle to differentiate from the pack. With reliaiblity/quality stats being so close now, this is one way to gain market share. Another is safety improvements.
  • sassy1866sassy1866 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard if Ford is dropping the V6 and going with the I4? I'm torn because I do like the new look of the Fusion, but I want the V6. If it comes down to I'll buy the 2012 over the 2013 just to get it.
    More than likely the V6 will not be offered in 2013. All the spy reports say the 2.0 Ecoboost will be the performance motor.
  • uccucc Member Posts: 2
    Will 4 cyl engine even be able to move that car? I have '10 Fusion with V6 and I like it with 4 cyl its more of a Grandma car
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
    Well we can now see the car in it's entirety. Ford has pic's on its web site. I like it, it does have a bit of jaguar to it, much more modern than the old model it replaces. The interior is where I think we see the biggest difference, as much as the old car still had exterior styling, it did nothing for me on the inside. This one is much more attractive in its finishes.

I am going to predict that this car will give Hyundia Sonata's recent success a run for its money. Much more so than the new Malibu or especially the new Camry. What were those guys at Toyota smoking, that Camry looks so plain Jane it is pitiful. I believe that consumers are looking for more these days. :D
    Well we can now see the car in it's entirety. Ford has pic's on its web site. I like it, it does have a bit of jaguar to it, much more modern than the old model it replaces.

I just went to the Ford website and I gotta say, that an adjective came to my mind that isn't often used to describe mainstream midsized cars... "Sexy!"

I really like that pale silvery blue-green that the hybrid on the right is sporting. Reminds me of the light jadestone that my old '82 Cutlass Supreme coupe had.

I had been thinking about buying a new car in the spring, and was leaning toward something like an Altima, Fusion, or Accord. But, I might just have to wait until this new Fusion comes out, and give it a look!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited January 2012
    I just hope, for Ford's sake, that the light jadestone is the only similarity between the '82 Gutless and the '13 Fusion. Oh, wait, they both have round tires.

On another subject, what do you think of the '13 Dart, from the pictures you've seen and the descriptions? Do you think that Dodge will display the Dart at the Washington Auto Show?
    On another subject, what do you think of the '13 Dart, from the pictures you've seen and the descriptions? Do you think that Dodge will display the Dart at the Washington Auto Show?

I have mixed feelings about it. I think it looks good, up to about the B-pillar. But beyond that, it just has sort of a lumpy, awkward, egg-shaped look to it that I don't like. And the rump is too stubby. I do like the taillights, though.

But, maybe it'll grow on me after awhile. I'll be curious to see what the Dart is like, in person. I have a feeling it'll be too small for my tastes. I could see them showing the Dart at the DC auto show. They usually have a pretty good turnout there when it comes to concepts and near-future cars.

And yeah, hopefully the 2013 Fusion will be a better car than my '82 Cutlass was! Now, that thing was a nice riding, handling, comfortable car that was roomy for its size. And fuel economy wasn't bad for the era. But it was slow from a standstill. And, the transmission went out on it at 61,000, and the 231 V-6 was pretty much trashed by ~73,000. So I hope the new Fusion does better than that! :blush:
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited January 2012
    Suppose to came with Volvo alert mirrors,which stop you from drifting into the wrong lane..
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Funny what a difference 6 years makes for the 231 V-6. The 3.8 V-6 in my 1988 Park Avenue was bulletproof.
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2012
    Good question. 237HP and 250 some-odd foot/pounds of torque isn't very much for a mid-sized-bordering-on-full-sized sedan. I sure liked the performance and economy of the V6 in the current model Fusion and Taurus; this new motor kind of seems like a step backwards to me as a replacement. In concept anyway, turbos are appealing because the "boost" (and corresponding drop in gas mileage) is only there when you need it--like passing, etc. The problem is, (at least in my experience with turbo motors), being in boost is not just a function of how hard you press down the accelerator; if you tend to drive a little faster than the speed limit, this may also cause you to be in boost, which will totally kill your gas mileage. Hopefully Ford has thought about this.
    The Edmunds review states the Ecoboost 2.0 version of the 2013 Fusion will have an AWD system which (and I quote) "will be paired with a rear-biased all-wheel-drive system for enhanced handling capabilities...".

Funny thing is, they said the same exact thing about new Taurus SHO when it was first announced, but sadly, no such AWD system even existed at Ford at that time, and I'm skeptical that one exist now.

Would appreciate any info if anyone runs across some! :)
    Good question. 237HP and 250 some-odd foot/pounds of torque isn't very much for a mid-sized-bordering-on-full-sized sedan. I sure liked the performance and economy of the V6 in the current model Fusion and Taurus; this new motor kind of seems like a step backwards to me as a replacement

Unfortunately, I've heard that most midsized cars are going to be dropping their V-6 options in the near future, because of impending stricter fuel economy standards.

Plus, V-6 production is usually relatively low in this segment. Just out of curiosity, I checked a local dealer's website to see the inventory breakdown by engine for the 2012 Toyota Camry. They carry a lot of brands, but unfortunately, no Fords,so I couldn't use the Fusion as a reference.

Anyway, they had 160 Camrys in stock.
    8 of them were hybrids (5%)
    17 were V-6 (10.6%)
    135 were 4-cyl (84.4%).

They do have 9 used Fusions in stock. 7 of them are 4-cyl, 2 are V-6.

So, alas, my guess is the V-6 is going the way of the dinosaur...in midsized cars, at least.
    So, alas, my guess is the V-6 is going the way of the dinosaur...in midsized cars, at least.

Well, that does it; I guess we'll both have to buy an SHO ;)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Isn't this forum for the Hyundai Sonata and not the Ford Fusion.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is a Fusion topic but the category lists the Sonata since it's one of the cars that's competing the Fusion. So someone searching for the Sonata (or Optima) may land here.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    I see most Ford dealerships carrying the Hyundai cars,so are they linked in business?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I wouldn't loose much sleep over the fact most are dropping the V-6 engines in mid sized cars. Modern 4 cylinder engines are more than up to the task. The Sonata nears 90 mph @ mid 16's in the 1/4 mile and neither the Accords or Camrys are "slow" either. I own a 2012 Sonata and lamented the dropping of the V-6 last year when the new 2011 Sonata came out UNTIL I drove one. They are quicker than many a V-8 from not too many years ago let alone a V-6. Not enough? TURBO!!!! which are now a whole lot less troublesome than the 1986 Omni GLH turbo I once owned. What me worry???
    Not enough? TURBO!!!! which are now a whole lot less troublesome than the 1986 Omni GLH turbo I once owned. What me worry???

I was once afflicted with a turbo from that era, as well. A 1988 Chrysler LeBaron turbo coupe which, actually, was a nice little car. It went downhill fast after around 90,000 miles. I gave it to my ex-wife when we divorced, and I think it was around 115,000 miles that the turbo finally died, and the cylinder head warped and blew the head gasket. In that car's defense, it did get stolen a few times, and I doubt the joyriders were very kind to it.

If I was going to get a new midsized car nowadays, I'd just go with the 4-cyl version as, like you said, most of them are more than fast enough. But still, I miss the effortless power of some of those bigger engines of days gone by.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Acura MDX SH-AWD system implementation overdrives the rear diff'l input by ~7% so the when rear drive is engaged torque biasing will be at the rear.

But that, like the Ford F/awd system, is only a part-time "automatic" F/awd system, only engaged at times in which loss of front traction is most likely to be compromised. Under low speed acceleration, or in a low speed turn, and/or an accelerating turn.

Significant improvement but still no CIGAR.
    Well, keep in mind I believe the new Fusion is a bit heavier than your Sonata--and the Sonata 2.0 turbo pumps out 274HP against the Fusion's 237.

Not saying the new Fusion turbo is going to be a disappointment, but I'm not really sure how that little horsepower and torque is going to move a car that heavy. I really would've thought the former V6 Duratec would've been a terrific option for this car. I personally wouldn't walk away from 28-29 MPG in a car THAT good looking, and THAT sporty.
  • new_yorkernew_yorker Member Posts: 4
    The real question, now that the Mercury Milan version of the Fusion no longer is sold, will be How Much the upcharge to reach the Lincoln MKS trim level, the ultimate Ford Fusion ? I always went for the Merc, never the Lincoln trim level. Also will the hybrid be available on the Lincoln as well.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes, the hybrid MKZ will be available. The MKZ will have much more exclusive equipment than the Fusion in 2013 - electronically controlled suspension, push button gear selection, etc. I suspect a comparably equipped base MKZ will be about $6K more than a Titanium Fusion with the same engine but you'll get a lot more for that $6K than you do now.

And the only way to get a V6 is with the MKZ.
  • j orbj orb Member Posts: 4
    Would be great to see a SHO version with AWD, twin-turbo V6 and a 6 speed stick. Europe must have a petrol version that would drop right in.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Not yet but we know the 3.7L V6 fits since it's being offered in the MKZ. And if the rumor is true that the next Taurus will be built on a stretched version of the new platform then that means it was built to handle it.

Personally I think a 300 hp AWD 2.5L EB is more likely than the 3.5L but you never know.
    edited May 2012
    High POWER engines, FWD (F/awd SHO), and stick shifts only work well for race experienced drivers. Absent the engine being automatically derated in HP for low speed acceleration (as Cadillac did with FWD and the NorthStar engine) the majority of drivers would be headed for an early grave.
    "...300 hp AWD 2.5L EB...."

Only if the torque distribution under low speed acceleration, turning tightly, or acceleration into/through a turn, would result in something like a 20/80 F/R apportioning.

Even at that with a stick shift it had better be equipped with VW's new engine "up-rev" technique for safe downshifting.