Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jswindlerjswindler Member Posts: 2
    Post #50 was supposed to say 4x4 (not 4x5).
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    If your Tribute is leaking gallons of gasoline you soon may not need to worry about how many miles per gallon you are getting.
  • mtnbiker2mtnbiker2 Member Posts: 6
    I have 525 miles on mine. Yes, I did have a gas odor that seems to be disipating. I really noticed it after starting the car and then sitting in it reading the manual. I actually thought I had spilled gas on myself. I have tried to duplicate this since and I cannot smell it anymore. I don't smell it when I open the hood either. However, when I bring it in for the first oil change I will discuss this with the dealer. Gas mileage has been good. Moderate stop and go I am getting about 21mpg, about as good as my VR6 Jetta which I sold. I do notice a slight thump in the front susp. which was alleviated somewhat by reducing the 42 PSI! of air in the tires down to 35. Still more than the Mazda recommended 29psi. The motor is great, the trans shifts extremely smoothly and the wind noise is not as bad as I have read (to me anyway). Overall it is roomy, way more fun to drive than any SUV (I have owned a Rodeo and a Trooper) I have driven. I think the value for the dollar is excellent. I drove the Ford and this rig's styling, interior, better suspension settings, nicer wheels etc. sold me. Comments?
  • mazdaonemazdaone Member Posts: 3
    3 mpg off factory ESTIMATE is great considering that you like to accelerate quickly. How fast do you think they were going when they did the test? Have you factored in cold starts which require more fuel usage than there testing temperature required? Have you considered what the usage of oxygenated fuel could do to the economy on this vehicle? 20% economy reduction from that stuff alone. Enjoy your 15 mpg and your new Tribute.
  • mazdaonemazdaone Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I have 1300 miles on mine and every day the smile gets wider. I think its extremely well built for early production. A vehicle this unique in the market place is one that I don't mind having a few issues with.
  • rickysiurickysiu Member Posts: 1
    I bought my ES with all the trims back in early September. I drive 60 miles a day to work, so I am up to 2600 miles. I am 5' 9" 175 lbs, and I don't find the seats uncomfortable nor I have problems putting on the seatbelt.

I have a couple small issues; there is no light on the ignition key, which makes it hard to find; the floor mats for the back seats are way too small; the antenna is not automatic.

These are the only issues I have. I am getting about 20mpg since I drive mostly in highways. So I really would recommend this car to anyone.
  • nyblast2nyblast2 Member Posts: 1
    I am/was considering a Tribute or Escape but after reading the postings here I am getting real nervous about purchasing one. Does anyone know if the problems are fixed on the Tributes/Escapes being produced now - stressed sway bar, bad fuel lines, bad steering wheel nuts, etc. I know no truck is perfect and I thought these were a good value but now I am not sure.
  • paul1741paul1741 Member Posts: 10
    All of the items you mentioned have been fixed. There is no guarantee that there won't be some more in the future, but that did not stop me from taking delivery of my ES tonight.

They come with a 3 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Any problems should come up during that time. (If your still worried get an extended warranty.)
    I spoke to my dealer about the fuel odor and they said, "bring it in and let's look at it" They have been very proactive and are concerned that I am not happy, even after telling them I really like the car. This is a good dealer. They are aware of this problem as they read Edmunds Town Hall regarding Mazdas in general. They believe Mazda will issue a recall on the fuel line thing in a week or so. Regardless they will examine the car. Regarding seating, I am 5ft10in. and 170lb and I did have to fiddle with the LX seat. I now have it set up where it is very comfortable, even after a 4 hour drive. I had a GTI on tailgating me in the country the other day and lost him! I'm sure if the young punk were a better driver he could have stayed with me. But even so, I was very impressed with this SUVs handling.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    dongor: "The RAV4 is the only price competitive vehicle in the running but I'm leery of the sewing machine under the hood!"
    I'm curious -what are you leery about?
    Adequate power? Quality/durability?
    ejp
  • wasabuyerwasabuyer Member Posts: 1
    I just looked at and test drove a Mazda Tribute LX-V6. I like the size, power, and many features of this vehicle. I was not impressed with some of the cheap interior parts like the interior door handles that feel like that chromed plastic material. But, what could I expect in a low-end vehicle. The one thing that got my attention was when I looked at the right rear wheel well and saw the gas tank sitting right next to the tire. I don't feel comfortable with the placement of the gas tank in the event of a rear end collision or something being kicked up into the wheel well.
  • merlin67merlin67 Member Posts: 7
    I have owned my Tribute for about five weeks and am having trouble with a gas smell that seems to come out of the ventilation system sporadically (but often, just probably not when I take it to the dealer to have it fixed!). It seems to most often happen when I turn the car off and then restart it within 10 minutes. I saw a couple of other posts on this topic and am wondering if there are others out there having this problem and if they have had it fixed, what was the problem?

I love this car. Having driven a Honda Civic for 8 years, it is nice to be able to accelerate on uphills, with the air conditioning on and other people in the car! It is roomy, the acceleration is great, the ride is nice and I just basically like the way it looks and runs all the way around. A couple of design issues that are a little annoying are the shifter...it gets in the way when I am messing with the stereo. Also, it could use a little light where the ignition is. It's hard to find in the dark.

I did add an aftermarket cruise control (through the dealer) that is not functioning well at all and I am still in a battle with the dealership to get this fixed. Plus, they mounted it in a spot on the left hand base of the column. You cannot see it when you are driving. I would not recommend adding cruise control over buying a model with it already installed.

OH! I also forgot. Rack companies like Thule have designated the Tribute a "no fit" meaning that they do not have and will not be able to make a rack system that will safely work (on the top of the vehicle) on the Tribute . Very annoying, especially when I wanted to haul a kayak on it recently.
  • lsutygerlsutyger Member Posts: 3
    I received two recall notices from Mazda HQ today.

On a limited # of Tributes, a incorrect (4x4) Rear wheel hub could have been installed. Affects 4x2 Tributes built between May 11 and Sept. 1

The second is fuel leak on Trib's built between April 17 and Sept.1. O rings in fuel line connector at end of fuel filter damaged during vehicle assembly.

I have had my ES Tribute for over 8 weeks with over 1800 miles and have had no problems to speak of! Great vehicle , fun to drive and very responsive to road conditions!! The recalls don't bother me, it can and will happen on first year model intro's. That's why you have a bumper to bumper 3yr/50K warr.
  • kay823kay823 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Ford Escape a month ago and absolutely love it!!! In the past I have owned
    a chevy blazer and various sports cars and have
    found that this is quickly becoming my favorite
    vehicle to date!!! I have had many inquiries about my vehicle from co-workers and strangers in
    parking lots. I think Ford has hit the nail on
    the head with this one with a great looking
    affordable SUV. I have had no problems at all to
    date. I had intended to buy an Explorer but when I saw the dealership unloading the Escape off the transport, I knew that this was the SUV for me!! I bought it the same day!!
  • dyl2dyl2 Member Posts: 13
    I am also having trouble with MPG. In fact, it gets ridiculous in city driving. I must get less than 10 MPG when city driving. Highway is OK and I don't do much city driving but it just begs the question why? Anyone with a clue?
    I brought the car in for my fuel smell one noon time and did the recall on the spot. Took about an hour. No smell now. I am getting about 18 mpg in stop in go and will do my first long trip this weekend. As far as racks go, Mazda will probably have a full line of racks to go on top. Other companies (more of them everyday) will figure it out. Thule is a rip anyway. Check others, and remember, this car just came out. It may take some time for rack companies to get with it. I have no idea how anyone could get 10mpg with this car UNLESS you are leaking a lot of fuel.
  • keller33498keller33498 Member Posts: 1
    How safe is this suv??
  • dyl2dyl2 Member Posts: 13
    I recommend the Thule ski racks with custom clamps. It'll only cost you $120 and you will be able to use it on any other roof rack (You'll have to get compatible clamps though).
  • merlin67merlin67 Member Posts: 7
    I, too, got my recall notice on the fuel line and took it in today. I have been having a fuel smell since I got the vehicle. It was not the recall item, but they did not bother to check anything else. When I find out what is causing it, I will post it on the site. That's if they can figure it out.
  • lindie013lindie013 Member Posts: 1
    About a two months ago, I was in negotiations to purchase a loaded 2wd Escape. Since it was a brand new model, the dealer would not sell at MRSP and wanted a $2,900 dealer markup. I walked from the deal not only because of the price, but my perceived concern of quality issues with domestic vehicles. I am very happy that I walked from the transaction after seeing the comments on this message board.

After owning only foreign cars, I have come to expect no recalls or problems even with first year models which I have purchased two over the years.

As a consumer, you should expect only the best quality and service from an auto manufacturer and dealer due to the amount of money being spent on the vehicle.

I finally did buy a foreign SUV (2001 QX4 for $33,000)and very happy with it. As usual, I have not had to go back to the dealer for any recalls or warrantly items.
  • loki77loki77 Member Posts: 1
    I was initially very excited about the Escape/Tribute when reading about them this summer.
    I definitely want a smaller sensible SUV with some pep and styling which is why I had been waiting for the Tribute to come out.(I wish I could afford the Acura MDX!)
    Now a I am hesitant based on some the things I am reading on here and some things I have noticed since I have been looking at both the Escape and Tribute at the dealers.
    Today I went to look at the Tribute to check out the styling variance from the Escape. The showroom display was the ES V6. I noticed that the interior plastic moding that runs up the support between the front and rear door (and in which the seat belt retracts) was completely popped out of place. It seemed very cheap. I noticed the same problem on the interior moding running along the bottom of the drivers door jam, It was popped out and sticking up about 2 inches..so much that I could completely lift it and see the metal frame etc under it. The interior door handles seemed cheap too...like chrome painted plastic that would break. Maybe its aluminum but it seems fragile. I have to admit that I am skeptical about domestic cars and I am long time Honda/Acura owner so I was disappointed to see these quality problems. One difference I noticed from the Escape was the middle consol available with the Tribute that I don't think you can get on the escape. Also I like the paint color options of Mazda over the Ford. I wish the ES's did not force you into the painted bumper as opposed to the more sporty flat matt grey bumper of the DS's and the Escape.

This same dealer also had a Subaru dealership next door so I looked at the Forestor. Unlike the Tribute sales guy, the Subaru guy knew his stuff. What a nicely engineered but ugly vehicle....Subaru should hire some styling consultants and they would be hard to compete with.
  • nightowleenightowlee Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm next. I'm gonna get one of these Tribute's if it kills me. :) Just paid off my Ford Ranger, and I can't wait to have an SUV that gets good gas milage and has some V6 power !
    I've read teh complaints and frankly, dudes and dudettes, I think most of them are aobut seating problems, console problems, and "cheapish" feeling parts.......and I have no sympathy for ya ! :) I mean, didn't you check out the seats to see if they "fit" you, first, before buying the thing? :) Well, I'm not going to pick on you much....I've done things like that, too. My only problem now, is,...red...or blue...?? !! :)

ZOOM Zoom ! :)
    Get red so the tow truck can more easely find you.
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    If the armrest/covered storage floor console is what you're referring to in the Tribute ES, then yes, it is available in the Escape - but only in the XLT. You probably have only seen XLS Escapes.
  • beerman5beerman5 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone provide the web address for the site that tracks weekly production numbers for autos?
  • ii31ii31 Member Posts: 24
    Hello Everyone,

My tribute has 1800 miles now. It ES/4x4
    with all the options.

Just couple of weeks ago (at 600 miles),
    I took it for first long drive to Santa Barbara.
    It drove beautifully. However following Monday,
    I could hear a loud whistle sound near back
    wheels area. The engine is making more noise
    than normal. I took it to service/dealer
    a week later. He kept the car for 4 days
    but still couldn't figure out the cause.
    Supposedly, he has informed Mazda.

I wonder if someoneelse has noticed this
    sound and change in engine noise and
    acceleration. It helps to know that
    you are NOT alone :)

I.I.
  • jayliujayliu Member Posts: 17
    Hi Guys... Maybe it's just my luck.
    Like everyone I felt in love with the tribute when I first saw it. So I paid my Desert Metallic Tribute EX 4x2 at the sticker price just like most people. Yet, I am happy with the car, it definately looks better than Ford Escape or any SUV on the market now and it drives great.

But that's the begning of my nightmare.
    Problem 1... Trim liner in the cargo area is worn, so it does not seal properly. That's fine they said they would order a replcement panel for me, they promised in two days, but it never arrive. Now the answer is, when they got it they will call me. That's fine, I can wait I realized the car is new and most of the parts are not readliy available. No big deal I'll wait.

Problem TWO: Mysterious STALL
    I was driving home from work , and luckily just got off the interstate 285. I got three warnning lights on the dash board, the engine check, oil check, and bat check light comes up , then the engine just stalls and die. I had to steer very hard to pull over to the road. Later, thank God I was not killed, I tried to restart the engine and it does start then I drove directly back to the dealership for service.

Problem III: Mysterious Air Condition leaking noises.
    When ever I had the AC on, I will get this weird compressed noises leaking from the engine compartment every 10-15sec especially after an acceleration. And it's very annoying, because I like to enjoy a quite smooth ride.

So I take the car to the Mazda dealer at Marietta GA. To have it serviced for problem 2 and 3. (Oct 30, 2000)

They had the car for over 5 days. And the results is very dissapointement. THEY CAN NOT FIND THE PROBLEM!!! One of the service consultant actually told me, it's normal to get those weird sounds after the car has being break in.
    As far as for the stall issue, they can't find anything wrong and computer showed nothing no records of it.

So I have to take the car back (Fri. Nov 3,2000)

*** I only have the car for less than 40 days. And the odometer has only 8 miles on it!!!
    They just told me they can not find any problems and there is nothing they can do.

NOW new problem... I got the car back yesterday, so I went out driving. (Sat, Nov 4,2000)
    Problem 4: it was raining, so I got the front wiper on, and all the sudden the wiper just stuck in the middle and does not move. I was going about 45 miles per hour and I just can't see anything at all with all the water on the windshield.

I am just have enough of this defectives. I am taking the car back to the dealership and get my money back.
    Are there anyone out there have the same problem as I do?

Or any other suggestions what I can do?
  • drew37drew37 Member Posts: 62
    <<<<The following short editorial expresses the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of most of the people here, and especially Ford and Mazda who want you to keep purchasing the Triscape because after all they wouldn't mislead you, would they?>>>>>>>

IMHO, I don't know how and why people continue to buy the Triscape. Look at all the problems people here are having. Not just uncomfortable seats and shifters that get in the way, but more serious things like fuel smells, stalling, weird noises etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.. And most of the time the dealer just "can't seem to find the problem".
    Don't say that it's a new vehicle and things like this are to be expected. To the extent that problems exist with the Triscape, that excuse is absolutely not valid. These things are not to be expected. I feel sorry for the average type of consumer who goes to their local Ford or Mazda dealer without a clue as to the absurd history of problems with these vehicles. Thank you, I feel better now.
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    This may be totally different problem that cannot be picked by the computer. It could be carbon build up in the throttle (dodge engines had that problem)
    Noise may be part of the breakin in, however, watch your belts and make sure they are not loose.
    There was another recall of 800 Escapes for transmission problem.
    The whole thing (Tribute/Escape) is new, so there will be glitches and problems, just don't be shy expressing your feeling toward the product. The biggest proble with these vehicles is not all those problems (fairly common with all new models) but the buyers age. These cars are aimed at young people that could be easily intimidated and ignored by the dealers and manufacturer.
    Well, as it tunr out the dealership was close on Sunday. So I will go on Monday. I'll let you guys know what they would do for me.

And thank you again for the information.
    What was the transmission recall for?
    I am not sure what was the problem, I think it was grinding and no down shifting.
  • lori_mlori_m Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I bought my desert metallic, ES, V6, FWD,
    Luxury package,tribute about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I
    absolutely LOVE it! I have had a problem
    though...no fuel leak or wheel bearing
    recall...but.. As the weather has gotten cooler,
    my coolant light keeps coming on. I checked the
    fluid level, and it was at the full line,even added
    more....STILL the light comes on. I took her in
    for service and they tell me that it's a bad
    sensor. GET THIS...the service guy tells me that
    he checked the other Tribs on the lot to see if they
    could get the part there, but MINE IS DIFFERENT
    and has to be ordered. Has anyone else experienced
    the same situation?? Mine was manufactured in
    September. Also, it rained for the first time since
    I had it and I used both windsheild wipers (front
    and back) on the intermittent cycle...does anyone
    else notice that you can hear the slight "click" of
    the relay as the wipers go back and forth from
    your steering column?? I do and it bugs me to
    death. Please let me know if you've experienced
    the same and what your resolution was if
    so...thanks in advance!!
    Hi It's me again. Went to the dealship again this morning. Trying to get my car replaced or refunded. But no luck, they instist to check the car for the problems I stated with them two times ago.
    Anyway, just want to ask the Tri/Esp owner, do you guys notice a small noise coming from the engine compartment, (AC compressor)? The noise was not there , when I frist got my Tribute, do any of you have similar problems?

It sounds like a gas leaking noises, and it will occur after an acceleration on the gas pedal, and continute at about 5-10 interval as long as you have the gas pedal depress or cruising. Very subtle noise, but it gets annoying.

And the service center people told me it's NORMAL! (as usual) Please some one back me up here.
  • ii31ii31 Member Posts: 24
    Hi Jay,

Yes, I can hear that subtle noise too.
    I took a service guy on a test drive. He
    couldn't figure it out. After 1700-1800 miles
    you will experiece a new "whistle" noise coming
    from the gas tank near real axel! My service
    guy has reported it to Mazda's engineers
    (or so he tells me :)

Read the extended warranty booklet about
    Lemon Law protection. Make sure you follow
    that if you want to get the refund. I can't
    imagine that it would be easy or smooth.

I don't intend to do that though. As long
    as car drives well and Mazda folks can eventually
    figure out the noises, I am ok.

My car had noisier/weaker acceleration lately.
    Service guy suggested that I try gas with
    89 octane level. I did over the weekend. It
    has made a good difference in overall
    responsiveness. If you have same concern, try
    it too.

I.I.
  • mazsuvmazsuv Member Posts: 1
    Do any other Tribute owners notice a rough transition in the gears when accelerating,plus occasional clunks. Also at 1100 miles there is a squeaking noise when slowing down, esp. in second gear. Also a Whirring noise when in gear that pulsates at 25 and 45 mph.
    The servicemen rode with me to hear the noises but the roads were too rough and the noise from the tires drowned the transmission noises. Another peeve is wind noise around both front windows.
    More and more I read about problems,or even catastrophic failures,with the Tribute/Escape transmissions. Could it be that these transmissions are not rugged enough for this application and are being overstressed?

I really thought the tribute was going to be my next vehicle, but it sounds like there are some serious inherent design problems that can not be resolved in the local service department.
    As I mentioned before, there was a recall for trannys already... There may be more recalled later. I guess that 800 recalled transmissions were traced to the parts, but some parts fail later, some sooner.
  • derekzderekz Member Posts: 1
    I think I'm the only one here driving Tribute with 5 speed transmission. I hated the idea of a shifter in a steering wheel console, so picked up one with Zetec engine. The mileage is better than on my Z24 (also 5 speed) - so far about 23 mpg in a city driving, and it still has adequate power - it is DOHC engine. I have no fuel leak, or any other problems with this car. It drives a lot like a car, and I love it - especially nose dives during cornering. But I still have to put more miles on it in order to see how it will behave then.
    Thanks for the reply. Does you sound only happen when the AC is turn on. Because the Service found the source of the noise is from the AC compressor, and he tested and everything is within spec. But the sound is just pure annoying.
    Try to shut off your AC and try that and see if the sound would go away, because, when I frist hear the noise I thought it is from the rear axel as well!!!
    P.S. My car is still in the Service center.
  • pooh12pooh12 Member Posts: 2
    Will all these recalls that have been discussed here effect my Escape? I won't even be getting it until Nov 20th.
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    Does anybody know that the relability of the transmission?
  • omnibudomnibud Member Posts: 24
    a couple people posted that their tranny went very early (1800/2500miles) other posts have said there is a tranny recall. still others complain about noise and rough shifting....i thought this was essentially the same transmission that logged
    50 bazillion miles in the tarus, so you think they would have it right by now. ours seems to operate very smoothly/quietly, of course we just got it a few days ago, so only time will tell.
  • larryloularrylou Member Posts: 1
    i was thinking of trading in my '95 honda accord V6 for a new tribute. After reading these posts, i've reconsidered. sorry you are all having so many problems... it sounds as if the mazda nameplate is more ford than japan.
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Escape/Tribute tranny is the same as used in V4 auto 626, not the Taurus tranny (but V6 engine is Duratec from Taurus)
  • adamjraeadamjrae Member Posts: 65
    I was also going to buy a Tribute but found out in time it's nothing but a Ford. I got myself a Hyundai Santa Fe. You might want to check one out.
  • mydawg007mydawg007 Member Posts: 1
    Here is a techinical service bulletin for one of the tranny problems.

FORD: 1994-97 PROBE
    1994-2000 CONTOUR
    2001 ESCAPE
    MERCURY: 1994-2000 MYSTIQUE
    1999-2001 COUGAR

ISSUE:
    Some vehicles may exhibit no forward gear ranges due to the misalignment of the forward/coast clutch cylinder snap ring with respect to the legs of the forward clutch piston.

ACTION:
    During assembly of the forward/coast clutch cylinder, the gap in the select fit retaining ring should be located midway (i.e., 45 degrees) between adjacent legs of the forward clutch piston. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
    Prior to installing the forward and coast clutch plates into the cylinder, note the location of the four (4) forward piston legs (Figure 1).
    Mark the top of the cylinder with a felt tip marker midway between any two adjacent legs (i.e., 45 degrees or 4 external spline teeth from the center of any leg) (Figure 2).
    NOTE: THE FORWARD PISTON LEGS WILL NO LONGER BE VISIBLE WHEN CLUTCH PACK AND RETAINER IS INSTALLED.

Following the Service or Workshop Manual procedure, install the clutch plates.
    Position the ends of the snap ring such that the gap is aligned with the mark on the top of the cylinder (the 45 degree mark) (Figure 3).
    Perform end clearance check as required.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
    NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
    INFORMATION ONLY
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    These problems and recall seem to be an extension of FORDs tranny problems in many of their vehicles including the WIndstar 3.6L which I own. While the tranny may be from a 626, everything has to fit and work together. Seems like that is not the case. I was considering a tribute because of all the hype it was getting before it came out. I decided against it and bought an Isuzu trooper. The trooper is a great all around vehicle for about the same price. MUCH more cargo room and better legroom in the rear although the tribute isn't bad. Also, with regard to post #11, the tribute is not really an offroad vehicle due to its unibody suspension. The unibody is liable to get bent under hard offroad terrain. But the unibody will likely or almost certainly do much better than a complete frame in crash tests.
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    I have the ford Escape and the Honda CRV in my
    mind. However, I am not sure to buy which one. I
    like the Escape because it has good handling; but
    love the reliability of Honda.
    Can anyone can give me some advise?
  • steele48steele48 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out how well the Escape performs while being towed. How hard is it to hook up to a tow bar. Any special things that have to be done in order to tow it. Like putting it in 2 gear if it is an automatic. I plan to use it to tow behind my motor home.