Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

RainX

Comments

• mikee6mikee6 Member Posts: 3
    Guys,
    I sure did pick the perfect time to head to town! THere was a light shower this morning...on reaching the car armed with a cloth soaked with hot water, following my 'wising up' from the posts on the site, i noticed that the mist / haze was virtually gone; obviously most of it probably washed away in the light rain. Nevertheless I wiped the screen down anyhow. The best was yet to come. 10 mins later the rain was heavy, just as I was leaving. This stuff is incredible - hit 40mph and you see the droplets crawling up the windshield! Fantastic stuff. I prob. used the wipers about 3 times in total (all single swipes) in a 20min journey - one before setting off, another couple when cruising in traffic, where it's not as effective. Nevertheless, even when the tiny droplets don't run off as in traffic or city driving, you still can see through the windshield for a good while and you still hardly need the wipers! What an amazing product.
    Only snag is there was some very slight streaking left by the wipers, but this is a very minor issue (and presumably will disappear the next time it rains). Also my fingers are a bit sore - i must have accidentally got rain-x onto them at some point (I did use gloves for the most part though) - anyone had this happen to them, and any sensible remedies?
    As for the anti-fog stuff, seems to have worked ok but can't say for sure as not been up early enough / late enough to see how effective it is, and it hasn't been cold enough for serious fogging anyhow. Long live Rain-X!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,239
    You really didn't need the cloth soaked with hot water. As the bottle says, just sprinkle some drops and wipe. I agree the stuff is amazing.
  • mikee6mikee6 Member Posts: 3
    just going on some other guy's advice in here. as i say i needn't have bothered as there was a slight shower outside anyhow!

i've even read one guy's advice on another site that he doesn't even use water - he just rubs harder with a dry cloth to remove the haze - ?
    That works too. I've only had haze a couple of times, not every time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You basically buff it smooth, it's like a glass polish.

-juice
  • wt4000wt4000 Member Posts: 37
    does Rain X build up a film over time?
    No, it does not build up a film.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    I have used it for many years. The glass has to be very clean before putting it on. I avoid putting it on if I can't get it off before any condensation starts forming. I use a damp cloth to remove it, usually after 15-30 mins. I only wipe once to remove. Any residual haze goes away with the next rain, when I hit the wiper a few times at low speeds. Besides not needing wipers and having great visibility through the entire windshield, the best benefit is when I come out to the car and find a layer of thick frost on it. I just take the rubber squeegee side of my ice scraper and clean the glass in one stroke in either direction. I clean my car in 30 seconds. I do the side windows and the side view mirrors for the easy frost removal too. No pressing required. Other benefits are that bugs don't stick on as bad. Glaze from an ice storm? Take an 1/8 inch thick ice layer off all windows in a tenth of the time it takes without RainX, with less risk of stabbing the rubber molding. It only lasts a month in frost season. In summer it lasts 1-2 months, depending how often I wash the car.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In my experience if you don't re-apply it 1x a month your windows become even worse in the rain. Especially in NYC where your car is constantly pelted with dust, dirt, and other misc contaminants it seems to get dirty much faster. That's why I stopped using it about 5 years ago due to the extra work to maintain it.

-mike
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    The amount of rain an area gets is a big factor. I get a half mile from my house and then I'm on a 65 mph road so the rainx has enough wind to work. It doesn't work below 35 mph unless it's put on more often. I sometimes get 3 months out of an application in the summer when we get rain mostly at night.
  • casaviejacasavieja Member Posts: 3
    I had terrible water/mineral stains on my shower stall glass. Bon Ami worked like a charm. I then followed up with a wash with Windex, and then used Rain-X...no more hard water/mineral spots in the shower.

I then figured that if this works for a shower, it should work for a car as well. Used the same approach on all my exterior car windows and it has worked like a champ.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi wmmylesjr,

I'm going to move your question about your 2005 Pathfinder to the right place, since this topic is just about RainX for windshields.

You can find your post, and hopefully, a few answers, over here:

Technical Questions

Host
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    Please forgive the rant but this stuff is the bane of my existence. My previous car, a Land Rover, took it in to a local guy to detail, he puts rain x on the windshield and immediately it's a hazy mess when it rains, splotchy, distracting, foggy, horrible. So I take it back and say "why did you permanently fog my windshield"? His "guys" scrub it for an hour and it doesn't budge. I drive the car for another year on the lease and it NEVER goes away (I am in NY where it rains hard all the time). I tried everything, I think, to get rid of it. So, I get another car, a BMW, no one is allowed to detail it or go near the windshield, but recently I moved. My new town has a spiffy drive through wash, very hi tech, I see the rain x logo but you have to pay extra for it. But little do I know, they put rain x in ALL the soap, now my windshield is foggy, hazy and blotchy again. So the water beads up but who cares about that when the glass is hazy and blotchy.

I can't get away from the stuff, it's like a disease. IT DOES NOT WORK. IT DOES NOT COME OFF! IT'S IN THE GLASS!

So I do a little research, and some interviews. Detail car geeks HATE it and say it's a curse. People who like it, guess what, THEY DON'T SEE THE HAZE! My dopey friend has a new car, he put rain x on it (the right way) and he LOVES, LOVES to see the rain SLIDE! Wow! What an idiot, I sat in his car, it hazy all over, so evenly hazed he doesn't notice that his glass is not clear anymore. That's why some people like it and most hate it. It's not complicated.

So, you can tell how I feel, right? There are a thousand forums on the net about this subject and every time someone says they know how to clean it off, a hundred people say it doesn't work, bon ami, denatured alcohol, lighter fluid, soft scrub, goo gone, none of them work. There has to be a special chemical that breaks down the chemical in the rain x. Anyone know what it is? Thanks.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Depending on the chemical composition of Rain X either an acidic or alkaline based cleaner should work. The milder of the alkaline would be like Dawn dishwashing detergent. You might laugh until you spray a mixture onto roaches and ants and watch them die instantly. If left to dry on your window it will be permanently etched.

So I would try that first. A mixture of 10 parts water to 1 part Dawn. Wash and rinse immediately and see if there is any improvement. You should neutralize it after cleaning with a mixture of vinegar and water. Not to mention that vinegar is acidic based and should help to remove water spots as well.

Stronger caustics (alkaline) can be found in your local grocery store found in a spray/foaming type of oven cleaner. Again be careful as it will eat flesh and cause major etching if left to dry on your windshield.
    Sure it hazes up a little at first but you just buff it off. In fact apply it before you wash the car and then just wash the whole car.

When I'm done I use a squeegee to make the windows crystal clear.

After that water beads off nicely.

No problems here, in fact it's about time I re-apply to all 3 of my cars.
  • buck96buck96 Member Posts: 3
    My dash vent redirects to the def. and floor vent when pulling, can someone direct me to where I should look to correct the problem?
  • tj6968tj6968 Member Posts: 23
    I'm worried that a product that has the possibility of hazing my windshield isn't a good thing. Especially since it's been known to be hard to get off. I haven't given it a try yet.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Personally, I find it is incredible and have used it for years on all of our vehicles. Some don't like it, to each his own.

Any trip the vehicles go on, they get a new dose before leaving. Works great w/rain at highway speeds, just blows right off. Never use the wipers.
    I agree. Have never had a problem with it. Plus, it's kinda neat to be driving in a heavy rain, at highway speed, withiut the wipers. Only real problem is it hacks the wife off!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The stuff is garbage. I've tried it twice now and followed every direction to the letter.

It's like smearing my windshield with vaseline.

To each his own I suppose.
    I just re-applied on our fleet. No such problems and it's 3 different brands (Toyota, Mazda, Subaru).

Good timing because we've had a lot of rain recently.

I forget how well it works. It actually keeps the windows cleaner, because everything rolls off.
  • graceful1graceful1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried the RainX Washer Fluid with Bug Remover? I have used the regular washer fluid for years & love it. Then I bought the Bug Remover by mistake. It ATE the paint off my hood and roof, clogged the washer lines and burned up the pumps (front & rear). anyone else have a similar experience? :mad:
  • bucktooth1bucktooth1 Member Posts: 1
    After reading some of the comments here, I will be taking the RainX I purchased back. Im glad I didn't use the stuff. Thanks.
  • graceful1graceful1 Member Posts: 2
    Wait, before you take your Rain-X back. I actually LOVE their wiper blades and the windshield cleaner and especially love the REGULAR washer fluid. So, just wanted to let you know that it was just the washer fluid with the bug remover stuff in it.
    Good luck
    I just use the stuff in the yellow bottle, and it works great for me.

In fact it's about time for me to re-apply. That just reminded me.
  • toms80toms80 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me why the Rain-X windshield wipers DO NOT WORK on the passenger side?
    I have a 2004 Volvo S80 2.9 liter.
    I have learned that aftermarket windshield blades never work as well as the OEM ones do.

After the experiences I have had with Rain-X, I would NEVER use their blades!
    Well you might want to try these as they come with a 5 year warranty. I've installed it on a 2002 Denali, 2005 Titan, and 1999 C5. They all lasted over 5 years with no tears and work like new with cleaning every couple of months. These will outlast the vehicle.

http://www.silblade.com/

And their advertised silicone based grease works like a charm to preserve your weatherstripping. No tears on those either.
    I prefer those flexblades - they look very streamlined.
    Unfortunate for me those weren't available when I initially bought mine. I'm wondering how that silbead works in comparison to rain x. Seems to be an unnecessary addon since the blade leaves a coating.
  • clive18clive18 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I washed my Toyota 4runner with Rain X wash and wax 3 days ago. Yesterday I noticed my windshield molding (weatherstripping) coming loose and last night driving down the hwy it just about completely came off. I don't want to jump the gun if these things are unrelated, but how often does windshield molding lose its grip? Especially with that type of sealant. Now I have to get the molding replaced and I hope they don't break the glass when removing it. Plus, I have tar-like sealant on my paint just above the window and I have to figure a way to get that off without hurting the paint (hopefully with turtle wax bug and tar).
    Rain X does seem to "penetrate", and it's slippery, so I can see how it would loosen something. But that just means the weather sealing was not, well, sealing.

My guess is it would have come off sooner or later regardless.
  • rjk4rjk4 Member Posts: 1
    I was told that the Rain X blue and orange should not be mixed and will smear with a dangerously glaring result. Use a fluid syphon pump ($6 for a cheap one) and suck out all of the fluid. replace with some other brand, eipe down the windshield and wipers and you'll be good in a day or 2.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I have an '02 WRX with over 130k miles. After 30 minutes the engine gets coarse and loud. I was wondering if there is a concern of the turbo going? If so, how much is a replacement turbo?

Generally, the car has been very good to me, even with a great deal of hard driving. Great car.
    1.) Impossible to diagnose 'course and loud', over the internet......and conclude it is a turbo problem.

2.) What the heck does that have to do with Rain-X?
    Oops, you're in the wrong place.

Why don't you try this question in our nifty, amazing ANSWERS DEPARTMENT
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    I have to replace the water pump on my 97 JGC, 4.0L V6. I have removed the belt and the 4 nuts from the bolts that go thru the pulley. BUT, I cannot remove viscous fan drive or the pulley. Tried a 12 in. pry bar and a hammer with 1x2 wood stick. It doesn't budge. It almost seems welded on. Is there any way I can remove these items without damaging them? If you can't remove the pulley, I'm not sure I can get the water pump bolts all the way out? Or is the best way to remove the water pump and separate these items on the workbench? Any input appreciated.
    Hi---you're in the wrong place to post this type of question.

Please re-post in our ANSWERS DEPARTMENT
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    Yeah, I know. Thanks. We can't all be as perfect as you.
    That's true. No sense setting impossible goals..... :P

However, we can help you over there.
    edited October 2010
    I know the post has nothing to do with the RainX product, but what does the service manual say you should use? I would have thought a pulley puller would have been the first probable tool, if you can get it in there.
    Tell you what....post the question in Answers and meanwhile I'll go looking for repair information on my databases. My job as Host here is to make sure we stay on topic so that other visitors don't get confused when looking for RainX info. I hope you understand the need for "lane discipline" so to speak. Also in Answers we have some professional technicians who jump in as well. So it's a great place to get a possible answer.
    Shifty, after his wisecrack I have to say, you have more patience than me!
    I thought this was a great line...

"That's true. No sense setting impossible goals..... "

What's a JGC? Jeep ?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    Indeed, you handled that quite well.

I would've said something like "soak the part in RainX and all your problems will be solved".
    After the experiences I had with Rain-X I wouldn't soak anything in it!
    Works great for me.

Repells rain and I'm cancer-free!

Of course I never had cancer before, but I am cancer-free! LOL
    Yeah, I know. Some people like the stuff.

I tried it two or three times and I followed directions per the label.

I might as well have smeared my windshield with vaseline. It seemed to feed on itself.

But then, some people like Armor-All too.
  • carhunter2011carhunter2011 Member Posts: 4
    The one thing about Rain-X I will say is the stuff YOU put on is much better than the Rain-X they put on at the carwash. No comparison. Might as well flush the extra $2.50 they add to your carwash bill down the toilet. Just having Rain-x shower over your car as it goes through the car wash does very little and it lasts about 2 weeks.