Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• 2001yukon2001yukon Member Posts: 6
    To answer your question about the Polo Green and the Chevy Forest Green. It is paint chip number 47 for both of them. According to my dealer it is the exact same paint. I just ordered my polo green xl two days ago.
  • bgould1bgould1 Member Posts: 19
    I've had my order in for about 4 weeks and no joy, today the autoride opens ups and then 1SD is the problem. When did you place your order and better yet, from who? Could you list what you were able to order?

thanks
  • tag8tag8 Member Posts: 1
    My understanding is that the wood is real as well (although it appears fake). A couple of reliable sources provided verification.

However, I wish there were more of it. I still can't quite understand why they bothered to put such a miniscule amount in a vehicle of this class. I mean what's with the razor thin strips around the instrument panel and center cluster? I had hoped it would look more like the ML or LX 470. Could doing so have added much more than a hundred or two to the cost?

Also, I had hoped GM would have sort of dressed up the metal center seat brackets. They really stick out like a sore thumb. Again how much would it have cost to "skirt" those things?
  • curtissilvercurtissilver Member Posts: 11
    Any experiences installing an air bag cutoff switch in 2000-01?
  • henrysbeachhenrysbeach Member Posts: 9
    I got my TPW of 11/6 about 1 month back for a Yukon XL, 4wd/slt/etc. So, today, 11/7, I checked with the dealer for my VIN #. Then I ran it through Burlington Norther RR at www.bnsf.com and, lo and behold, it was shipped on 11/6 and arrives in San Diego on 11/9. WOW. Is the Internet great, or what? Now, I can't hardly wait. I've been reading the Edmunds Yukon sites for several months and now ITS MY TURN TO GET MY YUKON XL!!!!!!!!
  • cwmartincwmartin Member Posts: 89
    liquidlab: Thank you for the part numbers for the armrest/window switch woodgrain pieces. I am making the assumption that these are just for the front two armrests. Are the rear armrests also woodgrained?

I plan to get this 'factory' woodgrain to install in my 2000 Yukon. Did you get a part number and price for the piece that goes around the main instrument cluster? It looks like it will also fit the standard Yukon.

I was hoping that the Denali had woodgrain on the overhead consoles, but from what I heard it does not. This is a shame.

Clifford
  • tucson4tucson4 Member Posts: 3
    If you don't hear back from Steve K, I too got mine from Ourisman and was EXTREMELY satisfied with the professional treatment and the deal we received. I don't want to step on Steve K's toes, but if you don't hear back, post your address and I will provide the information to you.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Cliff, I thought that I read a long time ago that you were going to or did buy an aftermarket woodgrain kit. I wonder what it would cost to buy all the Danali wood pieces as opposed to the aftermarket kit? Probably a lot. Mike
  • michigander1michigander1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm glad to hear that some of you are getting your YukonXL's. I put in my order on Sept. 25th and still can't get it through. I ordered a 2500 4x4 Onyx Black, 8.1 vortec , autoride, roof lamps, 4.10 axle, graphite cloth, just about everything I ordered is being limited even the panel doors and I just talked to my dealer yesterday and he said that the graphite cloth is now on constraint. This really bum's me out.
    I was going to buy the Sherwood woodgrain kit for my Yukon, but didn't do it (so far) for two reasons. #1) Money: After paying for the Yukon, tire exchange on the Yukon, and a transmission job on my Bonneville, I was running out of money. So I decided to wait. #2) Denali Announced: When the Denali was announced and I saw it was going to have woodgrain dash pieces, I decided to wait further to see what they looked like and if they would fit my Yukon. I will have to evaluate the cost of the factory woodgrain parts vs. the Sherwood kit (which has much more woodgrain pieces) to see which is the best value, best fit, and which one I like better. Eventually I will get woodgrain on my Yukon.

Clifford
  • liquidlabliquidlab Member Posts: 23
    The rear armrests don't have woodgrain.
    Also the instrument cluster is not the same.
    On the Denali the Onstar module is placed lower on the panel.
    Where you have the 2 blanking cover under the onstar on my 2001.
    Luc.
  • rickhessrickhess Member Posts: 18
    Michigander1:

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I ordered the same vehicle (only an LT Sub) about a week after you. Where do you get your info on constraints and limited availabilities. I have been watching wheels.com "assembly line" page, but the limited availabilities listed there do not match what my dealer tells me on Fridays (after he tells me he ws unable to process my order). Is there a site for up to date, details on constraints? What is limited availability anyway?

Rick
  • diamond6diamond6 Member Posts: 4
    Someone on this board had a website for checking on current constraints on the yukon. Could who ever knows that website, please post it again. I can not find it and I have some questions on some constraints that my dealer is telling me about on the Yukon.
  • kitchenskitchens Member Posts: 12
    I sent you an E-mail with both my E-mail addresses. Let me know if you haven't received it...

Steve K.
    diamond6:

Go to www.wheels.com, click on "industry reference" then click on assembly lines. I have been watching this for a few weeks, but the "limited availability" items for the Suburban/Yukon XL do not change very much from week to week. They also do not match what my dealer is telling me regarding constraints. I wonder how accurate and current the information is. The page is updated weekly every Monday.
    atmospheres:

I ordered the LT with graphite leather interior. Over the past four weeks I have been told by my dealer that one or more constraints on autoride, the LT package and the 8.1L engine have prevented my order from being accepted. Last week he told me there were 8.1L engines available, but the LT package and autoride were constrained. I wonder what will be unavailable tomorrow.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    All of the literature on the Denali (including the Dealer brochures)states the dash and other trim pieces are "Black Cherry Woodgrain". I would think this advertising would require it to be real wood as opposed to plastic. Anyone have anymore facts on whether or not the trim is real wood?
  • tspathostspathos Member Posts: 10
    I'm no expert in wood but i would imagine that it is actually a wood veneer "The art of veneering is simply taking a thin slice of wood from a log and glueing it to something".
    So i guess that "black cherry woodgrain" could actually be a form of "wood".
    Does it feel like wood?....no
    Does it look like wood?....well maybe
    Is it flat out ugly?...probably not
    If I didn't already own a denali xl would i want to put that stuff in my suburban?...Definetly not!!

This is just a personal preference..to each his own.
  • michigander1michigander1 Member Posts: 7
    Rickhess, I have been also keeping watch on Wheels and it was my dealer that said that this week it was the cloth graphite that rejected my order. He wanted to know if I wanted to change to the lighter interior (pewter cloth ). I don't want that lighter cloth and I really don't like it. I have a big dog that goes everywhere we go and that's why I don't want the leather.

Atmospheres and Rickhess
    when you ordered your Yukon XL's did you notice that in the 2001 GMC Yukon brochure on page 7 under "Autoride" that it say's that the autoride is standard with the 8100 engine? You would think that when it say's standard, it would mean it comes with, when you order the 8100 engine, the computer charges you for the autoride. I have called the GMC 800 number and they did not even have the new 2001 brochure. I have also called General Motors headquarters here in Michigan and they can't even give me a answer.
    In the Chevy Sub brochure it say's that you have to order autoride with the 8100 engine, but Chevy and GMC's pricing is different. I have a address for someone else at GMC in Pontiac, Michigan to write to. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Maybe if were lucky we'll get ours before the 2002's come out.
    Jerry
  • mrfish64mrfish64 Member Posts: 9
    Is anyone have problems getting delivery for their window. I have been waiting 3 months for a motor. Just wondering if it the dealer or GM.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Ron , took my dealer 3 to 4 weeks to get one. Mike
    As of this past Wednesday, all of the window regulators (motors) are on national backorder. The parts department at a local Chevy dealer told me that when they need a regulator they place the part order using some special critical status type order code. That way they go to an assembly line and pull motors from there to ship to the dealership. They said under normal methods they wouldn't get a motor until next year.
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    After 10 months of waiting, I actually have a Denali XL on order. Ok, I was just ordering an XL last January, but couldn't resist the 6.0L, AWD, etc. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

You get the point...

The reason I am announcing this is that it was accepted in Garnet Red!

Yummy...
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    I seem to have done the same thing as DRB2002. I finally placed my order for a Garnet Red Denali XL on 10/28 and received my TPW of 12/18 today. Dealer informed me that it should arrive in late Jan. '01. Does this timetable align with other delivery schedules experienced by those on this forum? Any recommendation on how best to track progress other than calling my sales rep?
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I drove a Denali today (regular, not XL). It was black with gray interior. The acceleration is excellent. The stereo sounds great! The only 2 problems I noted is that the center portion of the console pops open when the large door is closed and the compartment along side the 3rd seat is difficult to open and close. The ride was very good and it was exceptionally quiet. The Michelin Cross Terrain are very quiet tires. They hold the road very well (no squealing while cornering). The ABS stopped very quickly when pushed hard.
  • suvdriversuvdriver Member Posts: 3
    I'm just now reaching 10K miles on my '00 Suburban. Here's a few observations you might want to consider...

1. Defects at delivery. I had one defect detected the day of delivery. The front left speaker had significant static.

2. Defects the first month. The infamous "in a drum" noise was detected, and was unbearable when at freeway speeds and only one rear window down. Opening a second window reduced the noise.

3. Hot light. While backing my trailer into it's storage spot on a particularly hot day (~106F), the Check Temperature warning light came on. There was no problem while pulling, just the during the slow process of backing into a very tight spot which takes about 15 minutes.

Repair on 1. and 2. After one month, nothing else developed, so I took the vehicle in. A new speaker was ordered and took two weeks to arrive. Ultimately, it turned out to be a loose ground, so after 6 weeks of static, it was repaired in 4 minutes. Regarding the "in a drum noise". The dealer's responses ranged from "I don't hear anything" to "It's the anti-skid surface on the freeway" to "It's in specs" to "They all seem to do it" to "Drive with your windows up".

Summary of 1., 2. and 3. Chevrolet service has not improved since I bought my '89 Suburban. I plan on buying the $149 service manual and doing it myself, as the dealers seem to want the vehicle for a day to diagnose and a day to repair and who has that much time. However, I'm still stuck if warranty parts are needed. The good news is that the '00 came with few defects, and was a much better and tighter product than my '89. Regarding the heating problem. When I ordered the "trailer towing package", I thought it came with a supplemental fan and extra cooling. From what I can tell, the package only included the hitch, wiring, and the brake pigtale.

4. Mileage. The mileage is pretty good, better than the '89. I've been getting 16 to 17 mpg commuting by freeway 30 miles each way to work. I got 18.5 mpg on one long trip, but most longer trips seem to be around 17.5 mpg. Pulling my 22' trailer, I got 14 mpg, but the trip was too short to really put much faith in that number.

5. Pulling. The 5.3L does not have the low end power of the '89 5.7L even when it had 150,000 miles on it. This lack of low end power did change the trailer towing experience, especially getting going from a dead stop and for backing. However, at freeway speeds, the '00 pulled fine. I did find that allowing it to wind up to higher RPMs did improve the pulling power, but this is not much help from a dead stop, but worked well on grades.

6. Chains. With the P265 70 R16 tires, the manual says to not use tire chains on the rear or front. Upon inspection, I see why. The space between the tire sidewall and vital components like shocks and emergency brake cable is only 1/4 to 1/2 inches. While 4 wheel drive is pretty good, it won't get past chain control in many areas. Any ideas on what to use? Spikes Spiders are nearly $400 and may not come large enough anyway. Anyone ever try the Spiders?

7. Overall, the '00 is a nice vehicle if you can put up with crummy Chevrolet service. I do because the Suburban is a great family and work vehicle...too bad Lexus does't make.
  • rhwoodpeckerrhwoodpecker Member Posts: 26
    Folks, if the noise you seem to be describing is what I think it is you are wasting time going to th service department and complaining. I have had 4 vehicles that did the same thing. A 1999 F-250 crew cab truck, a 1987 Jeep Cherokee, a 1990 Saab 900, and a 1980 Volkswagen Scirocco. All of them had a noise that would come up at certain speeds involving windows being open to a certain point. It is sort of a roar usually pulsating and causing pressure in your ears sometimes. The Jeep and the Ford truck involve the rear windows, the Saab and the Scirocco were sunroof driven. I think it is simply an aerodynamics problem that can't be fixed, with the possible exception of a windscreen for the sunroof. I had to adjust the windows to the point where I could get ventilation but not the noise. I doubt that it could even be anticipated in wind tunnel testing.
  • chorchchorch Member Posts: 10
    Had the same effect on my last 2 Buicks if I opened one of the back windows with the others closed. Or any combination unless fully opened. Tend to believe its aerodynamics.
  • peterb8peterb8 Member Posts: 1
    My TPW is next week, but I want to start researching some custom wheels for my GMC 3/4 yukon XL. At this point, I know it comes with 16" wheels, but I need some specific bolt pattern information to help out on my available wheel choices. The same goes for thread size for the associated lugs..Thanks.
    I just posted copies of 3 recall notices at the GMSUV forum at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV in the TSB & Service Tips section.

The recalls effect the 2000 GMC Yukon & Yukon XL as well as the 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe & Suburban.

Clifford Martin
  • mbml55amgmbml55amg Member Posts: 57
    Check @ www.tirerack.com...
  • whataridewhataride Member Posts: 1
    Shredder,

I live in Fremont and was frustrated w/ the local area dealers' refusal to budge off of MSRP ("but we're giving you $2,500 off our asking price" what a deal!)

Did some web surfing and searching, and somehow managed to land up @ Guy Schmidt GMC in Glendale. Was given a deal of $1500 over invoice (although now it seems that that has been lowered further - $900 I believe). Ordered and received, last month, a 2001 XL which now has 2000+ miles on it. The process was pretty easy and painless. Everything was conducted over the phone and with a few fax transmissions. What a breeze!! Sales guy was Larry Totter. You can have them deliver it to SJ or fly in to Burbank, and they'll pick you up at the airport.

Just my experience. Sounds like tspathos has a few more dealers there in So Cal that might be giving a better break in price.

Good Luck!
  • bstrandbbstrandb Member Posts: 12
    Just arrived back in Florida yesterday after picking up our new Suburban LT at Marchant Chevy in Ravenal, SC (near Charleston) last week. $98 over invoice. It took about eight weeks from placing the order with the dealer to delivery. We were delayed in getting up to SC so we didn't actually pick it up until last Thursday.
    If you're in the SE or mid-Atlantic states, you probably can't find a better price or a better dealer. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you our salesman's name
  • bstrandbbstrandb Member Posts: 12
    I'm interested in getting a set of Catch-All mats for our new Suburban but need to know how well their 'gray' color matches the light grey carpet GM uses in 2001 Suburbans. Our interior color combination is Lt. Grey / Neutral.
    Also, since we have 2nd row bucket seats, is there a one-piece Catch-All that would cover the second and third row foot areas as well as the 'walkway' between the 2nd row seats?
  • susie16susie16 Member Posts: 6
    I have a printout that says Vehicle Order Detail with a vehicle order number for a 2001 Denali XL. The salesman said this unit was being "built for stock." What does this mean? We could've bought this one or build one specifically that supposedly would take longer, but we liked this one just fine. I haven't gotten a TPW yet, but just finalized two days ago. Does this sound like I really might get a car? I had a somewhat similar situation with another dealer a couple of months ago,(for $500 invoice)supposedly to go into production on 10/15, but he can't get me any other info and doesn't return my calls.
    him, so I tried someone else.
  • 2001redlt2001redlt Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to let you know, one test drive and I was sold. I had the opportunity to stop by and talk to two of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys you would ever want to run into while modifying your truck and on top of that, John threw me the keys to his truck for a test drive. This system was quiet at idle with a perfect throaty note under throttle and not a hint of resonance. To say I was impressed is an understatement. There is a definite performance improvement that you can feel both in the seat and with the foot with little trade off in interior comfort.
    Quality also looks to be top notch, I was allowed to look over the shop and the product in there waiting to be shipped and I have to say these guys are serious about their work. They have their own dyno, that says a lot in itself.
    Just a note, I wasn't paid to say this, I paid to say this. My truck goes in Thursday morning. Pete

http://www.pvmufflers.com/index.htm
    I am conducting two polls at the GMSUV forum at http://www.delphi.com/GMSUV/start

The first poll is about what mileage interval people are using between their oil changes.

The second poll is whether or not I should continue with the GM SUV Information Web Site

Please feel free to stop by and vote.

Clifford Martin
  • srangussrangus Member Posts: 1
    Maybe it's just me but I think the Denali chrome grill is GAUDY. I much prefer the standard black Yukon grill. Does anyone know if they are easily interchangeable. If so, I'd look for someone with a regular Yukon/XL grill to swap with me.
    They can not be easily exchanged with a standard Yukon. The center grill is permanently attached to the chrome/plastic pieces that go around the headlight assemblies. The headlight assemblies (namely the parking light/turn signal portion) is a different shape on the Denali from the regular Yukon.
  • jeffxljeffxl Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have experience w/ the different manufacturers of the overhead TV / VCP consoles for the new SUB / XL's? Shopping around the local custom shops everyone is saying that the Audiovox has the best reputation. I am looking for the full console that wraps the front and rear A/C controls. (No sunroof) I think that the full console looks more custom than the separate unit.

Also, one shop I was in on Friday had a new Sub w/ sunroof and overhead TV console. They just used the universal pod and mounted it right behind the sunroof. Looked pretty good.

Thanks for your help.
  • one4thegipperone4thegipper Member Posts: 24
    I have the ~7" Audiovox overhead TV in my 2001 Suburban. I went with a DVD player instead of a VCP. The console does NOT incorporate front and rear climate controls - it is rear only. I don't have a sunroof, but I was told by the installer that the Audiovox console for the new body style GM SUV's does not go all the way to the front. I didn't really care whether it did or not, so I didn't press the issue. The DVD player was installed where the CD holder was below the cassette deck. We (and our kids) love it. Especially on long trips - we just took a vacation from Indiana to Florida, and it was on almost the whole way there and back. I haven't taken any pictures of it yet, but if you'd like to see what it looks like, I'm sure I can take some and put them on my website. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Rich
  • kansasyukonxlkansasyukonxl Member Posts: 2
    I received my invoice today with the option Z88 listed as "DELETE THIRD ROW FLOOR MATS" $46.00-. The dealer didn't know anything about it. I ordered the 1SD with everything, does anyone know anything about this? Where can I pick up a match to the other mats?

Thanks Clifford for the info on the hour meter.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Chains and clearance. Have you looked at cables?
    I had cables for my truck tires and they worked great. Light weight, easy to install, no noise and lasted longer than chains. Just a thought....
  • balserbalser Member Posts: 90
    If anyone wants to save a little money on TV/VCR units, we bought two 5" AC/DC TV's and and AC/DC VCR. The VCR fits under the second row of seats. One TV sits neatly on top of the center console using nylon lashing straps available at camping or outdoor shops. You can still open the console if you loop the strap around the lid. The second TV straps to the lower back frame of the second row seats for the third seat passengers. A couple of headphone jack splitters from Radio Shack and you're all set. It takes only about 10 minutes to put in when we want to use it.

The whole thing cost about $500, and we get to use the TV's and the VCR in the kids' rooms when the units are not in the 'burb. We had a conversion van with a dedicated TV/VCR unit and never really got our money's worth.
  • dspangenbergdspangenberg Member Posts: 8
    I am trying to decide when to buy a new Suburban 2500. I will probably need to order one to get what I want, so actual delivery would probably be in January 2001 now. My question is when does the model year change on Suburbans and what would be the earliest date next year that I could get a 2002? The best deal my local dealer will give me is $1000 over plus $450 for adv. I am considering going to a dealer out of state.

Also does anyone have any first hand mileage numbers for a 2500 8.1 liter with the 4.10 axle? I am curious about freeway mileage (75-80 mph) and in town mileage, and also towing 6-8000 lb. trailer.

Thanks
    Dan
  • wademwadem Member Posts: 1
    I to ordered a 2001 Yukon XL 3/4 ton 8.1,4:10 1sd with every option on 8-22-00 got a tpw of 10-16 and then move to 10-30. Built on 10-31 I also had the third row mats deleted.No big deal at least everything else is there. Will have to order from parts dept.
  • mnbuckymnbucky Member Posts: 16
    I have the gray catch-alls in my 2001 Suburban. The color matches very well and the fit is great. We have the second row bench seat so I can't help with the fit for buckets.
  • kalexander2kalexander2 Member Posts: 10
    We ordered a Yukon XL about three weeks ago. The dealer said the order was accepted and we got a code. I called the dealer the next week thinking that I would get a TPW, but I didn't. He said he would check on a regular basis and get back to me. I called the GMC customer service number and was told that the order had been received, but not accepted. He said that it could be a few weeks in between being received and accepted so I should not worry. Is this true. We ordered a black truck and I know that's on limited availability. I would be willing to take a white truck if it would cut the wait time down considerably. I'd appreciate the input from anyone who has been through this process. Thanks!
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    This waiting period varies. My order has been in a week, and accepted. At this point I still do not have a TPW. I have been reading this board for 10 months now, and you just need to be patient.

Dave
  • yossarianyossarian Member Posts: 43
    Current "contstraints" on Yukons/Tahoes/Suburbans are identified at www.wheels.com.
    Click on "Industry Reference" and then "Assembly Lines." Scroll to GM Trucks and check it out.
    Right now, it appears that there is limited availability on Cargo Doors, the LT Option Package (1SC), Redfire Metallic color, Autoride, and Sunroof.
    I believe therefore that the order process may be slow if you have selected any one of those options.
    I have also heard that the liftgate option was on constraint, but this web site does not identify it.