Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Chevrolet Suburban/Tahoe Owners Club and the GMC Yukon Owners Club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in SUVs.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    dpayne1dpayne1 Member Posts: 8
    Looking for a litte advise from the group. I am looking at a 97 K1500 4x4 LT with 56,000 miles.
    The truck is in near mint condition has quite a few options. The original Sticker price was $37,117. I left with a price of 18,450, but think they will sell for $18,000. even. Did a carfax check against the VIN no problems found.
    Is this a fair price? I live in NY but the truck was from PA, no salt state. Please advise soon as I have an appointmet to deal Saturday.
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    I'm no engineer but I was under the impression that headlight relays, like the one I have installed from R&D, simply "turn on" the relays for both the low and high beams at the same time. I don't think it is trying to supply the amperage directly to the bulbs but simply send a low voltage to both the high beam relay and the low beam relay. With my R&D setup there is no difference between the flash to pass and having on quad high beam.
  • Options
    lucnoellucnoel Member Posts: 31
    If you truck have blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when you start it in the morning, that mean that the valves guide seals are bad.
    I agree that 1qt per 1000 miles is not normal but manufacturers said that to protect themselves.
    In any case since you use more than that,1qt per 600 miles,GMC should fix the problem for free.

Relay.
    It will seems that R&D is a much BETTER design than KC.
    Luc.
  • Options
    rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    I have the KC relay, the light is not good. Where can I purchase the R&D relay. Installation?
  • Options
    stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    turned in my 'old' '99 'bourbon using the GMAC Lease incentive.. no penalties/all remaining payments waived...

was looking for a loaded WHITE Z71 for the past three/four weeks in the NC-SC and surrounding areas. .. after many calls around.. I found it myself.. so much for dealer locators.. they stink... my local dealer who I just leased a Blk Bourbon on 4/30 couldn't( or wouldn't ) find me one.. I'd rather deal locally with them but they just couldn't 'produce'..

located one at MarchantChevy in Ravenel, SC ( 12 miles south of Charleston).. had been there beforein the past but this time he had it .. only option not there was a moonroof.. oh well :( didn't matter to me... jumped on it.. got the right price at $98 over invoice minus the $1000 Subn owner's Loyalty .. also minus the $1000 Dealer's Cash Incentive...

the only minor bad point.. the lease manager typed in a Lease percent factor of 8.75%.. I know it was 7.75%.. he got a little perturbed when I told him to keep the truck if he didn't change it.. he did... was it an honest mistake???.. I think not.. but knowing how to figure a lease ( from Edmunds site) I handed him my figures on paper.. not nice... darn dealers always have to leave that one little bit of bad taste in your mouth... gotta watch them all the time..

here's some links to pics of my White Z71 and my wife's Black '01 LT 4wd 'bourbons

http://greengrouper.com/ggserver/Jun30$09.jpg
    http://greengrouper.com/ggserver/Jun30$05.jpg

• Options
    R&D can be found at the following address

http://www.truckautoaccessories.com

It comes with very precise instructions and simply "crimps" into the existing wiring. Really no need for tools except maybe some pliers.

• Options
    adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    What are the changes going to be for the 2002 model year...have not been on the board as our 2000 (after several trips to the dealer with help from the board) has rolled up a trouble free year. Am thinking about ordering an 02 and wonder what will the changes be??? Thanks!
  • Options
    adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    Wondered thru a large lot of 2001 Burbs this weekend and was amazed at how the trim (black or body colored) on the LTs varied.....flares, body side moldings, bumper caps etc....is there any reason to the madness??
  • Options
    jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    No heated power recliners, or power lumbar and side bolsters either. Thought for sure that would have been on there, must be just a suspension pkg. Did you get a licence plate pocket on the black one? I want to put a front plate on my YXL, but can't find a pocket for it. What I mean by pocket is a molded plastic square that attaches to the bumper, same contours over the actual bumper, then the plate bolts to that. I think the plate floating thereon the bumper looks kind of silly, and the plate I have is plastic, so it will get ripped off the first time I run it through a car wash. In Michigan, where I live, a front plate is not required by state law, so I am wondering about in the states that do, if those trucks/SUV's have a plate pocket.
  • Options
    bobg15bobg15 Member Posts: 2
    Recently, I was in a showroom looking at a 2001 Suburban LT w/sunroof, etc. The list on it was 43,500 approx. With no haggling, they offered 7000 off. While this was almost too good to be true, when the salesman handed me the dealer spec sheet for the vehicle, I noticed something I have never seen before and got an odd feeling. On the spec sheet, it had the vehicle listed as an LS model, not an LT. Also when it got down to the options, there was a quotation "All parts are 2000 unless" then the margin was cut off. Some parts, such as the front stabilizer bar, rear speakers, airflow vents, etc had listed "(1999)" after them. When I asked the salesman if this was never titled before, he said yes. I then asked about the parts listing 1999, he replied that all new car warranties applied. To me, it seemed like this was their way of disclosure. I had that old Elmer Fudd feeling of "Somping sqwoowey going on awound heir"

I have seen other spec sheets before and they did not list out all the components like that, only the options and major std equipment. And certainly, I never seen what appears to be previous
    model parts listed.

One thing I speculate is that this vehicle may have been a salvaged vehicle before it was titled, then it was rebuilt and shipped to the dealer. Does anyone know if manufacturers can do this
  • Options
    dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Here in Texas we are supposed to have a front plate. I looked all over for a "pocket" type holder like jgmilberg describes and could not find one. Instead I purchased a chrome plated metal license plate frame (real metal not plastic) that had four bolt holes, not just two and tabs. I attached the bottom of the plate to the frame with nuts and bolts from the hardware store (with plastic pads screwed on over the end of the bolts to rest on the bumper) and then screwed the top ones into the bumper. The rigidity of the frame when all four bolts are tight keep it straight and, so far, have prevented it from being bent. I suggested the same to a friend in Louisiana (no front plate required) and he was afraid his plastic insert might still break even in the frame. He took two flat metal strips and ran them in an X pattern from the bolt holes and across the back of the plastic and has not had any problems. Our goal was to prevent the plate or insert from being broken off or bent when in the country.
  • Options
    davo418davo418 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy Yukon XL 1500 4WD w/ 1SD luxury package + running boards. Is there $1000 dealer cash available? So far, no dealer will own up to it and I am getting prices $800- $1000 over invoice. Seems I ought to be able to do better if in fact there is $1000 dealer cash.
  • Options
    bobg15bobg15 Member Posts: 2
    The manufacturer to dealer incentive of $1000.00 ended on 7-2-01. Keep an eye out to see if it returns either later in the month or in August. 'Round the Chgo area, sure does seem like there are alot of burbs and tahoes still on the lot. Keep pluggin away, you should be able to do better on the truck. Through Costco Buying Club, they were selling them for 500 over invoice for pete's
    sake! And that was before the manufacturer to dealer incentive.....
  • Options
    I'm sure you're talking about the front plate holder as my '99 Suburban that I just turned in off it's lease had... nice.. they sure did cut corners on this new one..

if you guys find one yell out.. I'll do the same.. I'm in NC .. only one plate needed but I usually put on a front 'fishing' plate of some sort on both my wife's black 'bourbon and my Z71 'bourbon..

http://greengrouper.com/ggserver/Jun30$09.jpg

http://greengrouper.com/ggserver/Jun30$07.jpg

yop.. you're right on those items missing.. but then again the Z71 is based on the LS model not the LT like my wife's Chevy made up such a nice package with the Z71 and they cut corners on small incidentals...

• Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I really like how the white monocromatic paint job looks compared to your wife's Suburban. Somehow looks sportier.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    sdharveysdharvey Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information, guys. In the end, I wound up taking my tiny, light Nokia 8260 phone back and trading it in for a brand new version of the Nokia 6160 I had for a couple years. It was cheaper, there is a full car kit for it from Nokia (works great), and it gets better reception even outside the car than the 8260 did.

I wound up getting it with an external little "disc" antenna which you hardly notice, and so far it has been great - cuts the radio off when you dial or a call comes in, back on when you are done. Since this was so straightforward, I didn't work any further on trying to figure out how to integrate with the OnStar antenna, etc.

Thanks for all the thoughts....

Scott
  • Options
    safe1safe1 Member Posts: 16
    Scott, please describe the parts and installation needed to install your Nokia cell phone. What, if any problems you encountered in the install processs and where did you purchase the necessary kits for your installation? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    thanx.. just wanted something a little 'bit different'..but not of the 'price level of the Denali's..

black does shine the best... albeit with lots of work & sweat to keep it that way... having had my previous three SUV's ( ' 95 Explorer Limited,' 97 Expedition, ' 99 'bourbon) in White almost went for a Black Z71.. then thought about it.. naw.. two black 'bourbons to take care of.. way too much.. glad I got the White one.. not as many of them around as the black..

the dealer messed up with prepping the Z71.. evidently had picked up 'train dust'( that's what they are saying) while in transport.. windows and paint stippled with grime and oily substance.. a mess... trying to get it straightened out..have tried just about everything to correct it... if dealer can't come up with a fix.. on to the 'process' and getting Chevy Regional involved..as it turns out the white one may be more work than if I had gotten a black one.. :(

have you ever heard of anything like that on a new vehcile delivery???.. first time I've encountered it in all the years I've been buying new vehicles..
  • Options
    campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    Yeah, 'train dust' or 'rail dust' is basically metal shavings from the train car wheels riding on the rails.

There are companies out there that specialize in removing this stuff. You might check out the Tom Martino website

http://www.troubleshooter.com

He had someone on recently that had this problem and found someone who specializes in removing it.

Hope that helps.

Campo57

• Options
    I have been so agitated since I bought my DXL about the on-star crap. It's a great idea but just needs to be integrated with a portable cell phone. I had my local cellular provider install a hands free kit for my regular cell phone and every thing is separated. They said no way can be integrated with the on-star. Apparently they were wrong.

Take a look at this company I found this morning. This supposedly works with any on-star equipped car with Nokia 5100/6100 phones and works with the radio just like on-star does.

http://www.uhltronics.com/

• Options
    skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    I have used slip on mirrors on my last two trucks, 95 Yukon and 97 Tahoe. I have ben unable to locate slip on mirrors for my 2001 2500 Suburban mirrors. My Suburban mirrors have a step down design along the bottom of the mirror. They are not shaped like the 2000/01 Truck mirrors, which do not have the step. Has anyone found a mirror that does not look like tack on junk for a $45k truck designed to tow? Why would GM change the configuration on the Suburban and not the trucks? The mirrors are to short to tow a 8' wide travel trailer. All the GM designers must drive BMW's, because they design a truck for pulling and make no allowances for needed accessories. They were the last Company to put on a towing package and not wire in the proper towing electrical outlet. You could not tow anything with it until you had someone or you cut into the wiring and installed the outlet and brake hook up. It took them over 10 years to finally add that to their "towing models". I guess in another 10 years they will have a telescoping mirror, which their competition has now. In the mean time they will keep the accessory manufacturers screwed up by making changing their mirror design so slide on mirrors won't be available. I'm ready to give up! Anyone got a solution, other than trading for an Excursion? Thanks, Skipjack
  • Options
    ellison5ellison5 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when any new rebates or dealer incentives will again go into effect for the southeast?
  • Options
    thanx for the info.. heading to the dealer on Mon.. should be interesting to say the least.. when I get their 'solution'..if they have one.. I'll post it..
  • Options
    fltrsei2fltrsei2 Member Posts: 9
    I just pulled my motorcycle trailer to Flordia and back over the past weekend with my 2001 YXL 3/4 8.1l using slip-on mirrors I got at VIP auto stores. They don't "slip-on" like they did when I had them on a Dodge Ram. They need to be slipped on top to bottom, almost like snapping them on. A little primitive but they work and are a good fit. No noticable scratches from snapping them on. Had a friend try them on his 2001 Silverado, and the same thing. I cant imagine that the Suburban is any different. Give them another shot and good luck.
  • Options
    rdtaylorrdtaylor Member Posts: 21
    The custom-fit CIPA mirror extensions are available for $40 from cabelas. They are just as good as the ones for the old trucks (visibility is even better), but they are slightly more difficult to put on and remove. They also tends to scratch the paint on the mirror - more noticeable than the old-style black mirrors.
  • Options
    joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
    I live in Phoenix and HD cooling is a must. I owned 3 Chevy Tahoes and all three had the optional (towing package) engine oil cooler (5.7L engine). With this package we could leave the Tahoes idling with the AC on in 115 degree plus weather and we never saw the temp guage move from normal. I also made many trips across the desert, and we never had the temp increase when climing hills. We now have a 2001 Yukon XL with the 5.3L and the engine temp will increase some when idling, and it went up some on our last trip to San Diego. You cannot order the 1/2 ton 2001s with the engine oil cooler, and I would like to add one. Apparently it is available on the 3/4 ton 2001s Anyone one know if the one from the 3/4 6.0L will fit the 1/2 ton 5.3L? I would like it to bolt on without mods if possible...joe
  • Options
    skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    Tried to email you RD, but it came back. I called CIPA after I got their number off their Web Site. They showed a mirror for 2000/01 Suburbans, with the comment that they only work on model that have mirrors as in mirror illustration. (picture showed mirror with flat
    bottom edge, as opposed to mine having a step down bottom edge) When I spoke to a representative, she said that they are not making one for my configuration.

The mirrors in Cabella's are the ones that I think fit the trucks but not my type. That might be why they are hard to put on and scratch your paint. What so you think? I would like to have
    a set of some kind as we are going on vacation later this week. Are your mirrors straight along the bottom edge or do they step down like mine. Thanks for your response. Skipjack
  • Options
    subliminalsubliminal Member Posts: 29
    I just received a referral incentive from my Chevy salesman. The first 10 or 20 (I forget) referrals will get GM Employee pricing (significantly below invoice). I get $100 gift certificate (just to be up front about this). But I know the GM Employee pricing is pretty good. So I wanted to pass it along.

I don't know about any other restrictions, I assume it is delivery from dealer stock. But last time I was there they had alot of burbs and hoes.

Email me if interested. The dealer is in Framingham MA.

Subliminal
  • Options
    gottagetaburbgottagetaburb Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone seen any information on the 2002 Suburbans? Not sure I want to buy a 2001 knowing that production has ended & the first 2002's are probably just rolling off the line...
  • Options
    jesuwhortonjesuwhorton Member Posts: 1
    While this might seem like an oxymoron... I am wondering if someone would dare to voluteer their truck's mileage... a vortec 454. Thanks
  • Options
    subliminalsubliminal Member Posts: 29
    Email: mdombros@us.oracle.com

Forgot to add this. Sorry.

Subliminal
  • Options
    hnbhnb Member Posts: 1
    Saw your post on your hands-free kit from Nokia. I just ordered the Nokia CARK-91H. My question is where did you connect the Yellow (radio mute) wire in order to mute the radio? Any other help tidbits would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Harold

http://www.mindspring.com/~miatago/sub.html

• Options
    rickhessrickhess Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up a Bugflector by VentShade Company for my 2001 Suburban. I was reading the instructions and was happy with the simple installation until I hit the final step. They want you to stick tape-backed buttons onto your painted hood and fenders at locations where the Bugflector might hit the hood when it vibrates. I still have the Bugflector wrapped in plastic and will return it before gluing anything onto my painted hood and fenders. I do not want to install it to find out if I really need these buttons, because then I might have trouble returning it.

Has anyone installed a Bugflector on a 2001 Suburban? If so, can you tell me if the stick-on buttons are necessary to keep the Bugflector from contacting the painted surfaces of the hood? If not, I will install it. All comments are appreciated.
  • Options
    rickhessrickhess Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2001 3/4T Suburban w/ 8.1L, 5500 miles, and the infamous cold start noise since day one. I have posted here regarding this noise and have read everyones much appreciated comments regarding this problem. Prompted by a post on this matter appearing on another board, I called Chevy (800-222-1020) today to hear an explanation straight from the horses mouth. I spoke with a very polite but apparently non-technical gentleman in Customer Service. The following is the essence of what he said without interpreting or editorializing. Do not shoot the messenger.

The problem is widely reported and GM is well aware of it. GMs position is that the noise is not harmful to your engine and will not reduce its useful life. There are two possible explanations for the noise. One is lack of oil in the upper part of the engine during initial operation. This is not a problem because the engine is cold during this short period of time when the noise persists because of a lack of oil. The other possible explanation (cause) is carbon build-up. This is not a likely cause for the noise on a vehicle with only 5500 miles. GM has developed a fix that will be implemented on the 2002 model year vehicles. The fix is being implemented to eliminate the noise because it is annoying, not because it is harmful. There is currently no fix for this problem for existing vehicles and it is unclear if GM will offer one. There are two or three TSBs on this problem that Chevy Dealers should have and make available upon request. The TSBs state that the noise is normal and not harmful, essentially repeating much of the above. One of the TSBs makes recommendations for addressing the carbon build-up issue.

He took my name, address and VIN number and gave me a case number. I asked him how best to follow up on this issue to see if GM comes up with a fix for existing vehicles. He invited me to call back periodically and to check with my dealer, since he would receive any related TSBs.

For what it is worth.
  • Options
    fatheroffourfatheroffour Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the mkt for a 2001 Yukon XL and have talked to a few dealers.1 out of the 3 indicated a factory to dealer rebate of $1000(I visited the dealer after 7/04).I specifically asked if he meant the Customer loyalty rebate and he replied "no".Is there one in the N.Y. area or am I getting a story from one of these guys.By the way,there doesn't seem to a shortage of these vehicles in my area .(each dealer had btw.8 and 10 of these on the lot.Most were loaded)
  • Options
    tuckpanatuckpana Member Posts: 20
    $1,000 dealer cash for KY & TN. Go to USPS.com and get zip codes and look for rebates on edmunds.
  • Options
    mnbuckymnbucky Member Posts: 16
    I have had the Bugflector on my Suburban for a year now. Temperatures have ranged from -20 to 100 degrees. The stick-on bumpers are still on tight so I don't think you have to worry about losing them and leaving a mark behind. I can't say if it would vibrate without them. I just clean and wax around them and don't ever intend to drive without the Bugflector so don't mind that they are stuck onto the hood. In my case, they are not at all noticable because I have black paint.
  • Options
    Rick I installed a Bugflector 2 on my 2001 Yukon XL WITHOUT using the stick on bumpers and I have had no problem with vibration or the Bugflector touching the paint. If you look closely, it does not come close to the paint.
  • Options
    cat1iacat1ia Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have the website sddress for southern GM in TN.?
  • Options
    The address to Southern GM is:

http://www.autos-at-cost.com/
  • Options
    I have a Bugflector by Ventshade on my wife's Black '01 bourbon...the little stickon plastic buttons are really not necessary as they have plenty of clearance.. I put them on as I did with my older '99 white 'bourbon.. they actually come off easily and can be buffed out as new if you decide to remove the buttons..... when and if you put the stickon buttons on, they go under the Bugflector.... really cannot even notice them.. will be getting another one for my new Z71 white bourbon that I p/u'd 2 weeks ago..

here they are in the photo gallery pages on Edmunds KarenS "Suburban/Tahoe Owners: Photo Gallery" Jun 30, 2001 6:54pm
  • Options
    I called Meguiars..fellow I spoke to at Meguiars had the solution to my problem right away.. they said to use the 'clay bar' with the Quik Detailer kit..... runs about 10 bucks.. it worked.. very easy to use.. picks up the rail dust out of the paint...however, only did a small test portion that nite..

... figured I should run back down to the dealer just to put it on the record, warranty-wise.... I brought the Z71 in the next day.... the owner of the dealership helped me out.. probably thought I was a 'wacko' ( no comments pleaze...??)... he felt the paint and could see the problem in the paint.. (paint will feel like 'sand' is on it).. ..agreed with me.. just in case, I brought my magnifying glass!!!! .. easy to see the specks of rail dust on the white paint... they detailed it...using.. a 'clay bar'... gave me the clay bar when I left... I went over the entire truck again the next day using their clay bar ( a lot bigger in size than Meguiars gives you) and the Meguiars Quik Detailer to use as a lubricant as per Meguiar's instructions... ... paint is now 'perfect.. smoooooooth.... followed up with a couple of coats of NuFinish Polish and Meguiars canauba wax... I'm happy...
  • Options
    don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    Did note that at media.gm.com they wanted the "true media" folks to sign that they would not list the info until AUGUST 1. You needed a password to get the media data.
    Point being we should know all about 17 days from now - Aug. 1st.
    Can`t wait in a calm matter, I want a 2002 real bad. Of prime concern to me was a document I saw some time ago that claimed the 02`s would have more second seat room and even more head clearance. My elderly passengers cant`t get in easily due to the door post in the rear seat area. Bad design.
    Would really like a straight 6 engine. I would buy a Tahoe today without knowing the prices if this engine was available. Don`t think a in-line 6 would work for the Suburban.
  • Options
    gswensongswenson Member Posts: 5
    Subliminal - Can you give any more details on the employee pricing program? For example, what is the discount on a 1500 LT (4WD) - stickers would typically be in the $44-$45k range. Deals in NY/CT area are up to $6k off sticker, $7k with the loyalty coupon (but this may decrease if the dealer incentive is not continued)
  • Options
    The instructions say to disconnect the battery, where do I disconnect it? positive or negative. Also, will I have to re-set sunroof, home link, on-star or any other electrical features? Thanks
  • Options
    I thought about having to reset the radio and home link and figured since the lights will not be on when hooking up the relay that it shouldn't matter.

I did not disconnect the battery and the installation went fine. If you do disconnect, you disconnect the pos.
  • Options
    larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    This occurs on vehicles during shipping from the train or transport truck. I would guess it occurs during a rain & could even come from the air, sticking to new paint. White or other light colors show it very well. It looks like little rust spots on your paint - NO PROBLEMS folks - Just cleaned a Firebird up for the local GM dealer today. That vehicle was a 2 hour project. All you need is clay to clean it off - PPC: makes an excellent product, along with Perfect Detail. The combination of these two product will clean & seal your paint to perfect condition!!! These products work wonderful on all colors - If you run your fingers across your paint and it drags or fills like sandpaper you could have this problem on your vehicle - PPC has an excellent product to fix this problem without damaging your paint/clearcoat.
  • Options
    larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    Attempting to post pic.
    Can view: http://www.1stopautoshop.net/01ydxl.htm