Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord CVT Problems

Comments

• ziggy25aziggy25a Member Posts: 24
    I don't see a link to reference where this Q and A came from, but let me say that it makes no sense that Honda would not recommend synthetic for 2 reasons.

1) Because Honda uses synthetic itself for 2013 Accord Oil changes. Note that many dealerships charge more for oil changes for 2013 Accords vs older models because they use the 0W-20 synthetic.

2) Non synthetic oil at the 0W-20 weight currently does not exist, and is not manufactured by any motor oil company!
  • tina123tina123 Member Posts: 1
    Hello

I to recently bought a 2013 accord v6, love the outside and inside but have a real issue with the transmission. It's not smooth at all. I notice the shuttering mostly when i'm accelerating to 55, around 46 it start shuttering until I reach speed of 51. The dealership said they do feel and hear the problem but it's within spec. I've noticed this happening this week on lower speeds as well with the ECON on or off, doesn't make a difference. I want this fixed.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    On my 13 Accord w/Navi the Traffic incidents says no information to display. After a few seconds it goes to the mpg screen. Anyone had this issue?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2013-14 Honda Accord, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• number_6number_6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Accord and am a somewhat anal retentive engineer. About a year ago I did an experiment to determine how my vehicle did on gasoline vs gasohol (10% ethanol blend). It was eye opening. In short, the gasoline gave me 6.4% better mileage. I'd expected 4% because ethanol only provides 60% as much energy per gallon burned as does gasoline. Assuming the engine was equally efficient at burning both, the mileage on gasohol should have been 4% worse. I attribute the 6.4 percent figure to my engine not burning gasohol as efficiently.
    Short of the story, I use pure gasoline unless the price difference is at least greater than 7% (since the test that has only happened once).
    Hope that helped.
    Note 1: My test method involved filling and running the tank to near empty, logging mileage then changing gas formulations (gas, ohol, gas, ohol, ...). I did that for 16 tanks. For intervals where my driving style or outside temperature range was significantly different than that of the comparison tank I re-filled and didn't log the aberrant driving interval. Because my driving style and environment are relatively stable and because the per tank mileages for each fuel were pretty tightly clustered, I suspect an error of 2% max in my final figure.
    Last month there was a big price difference so I ran a validation check and filled with gasohol. The drop for that tank from the previous tank was ... 6.2%.
    Note 2: Newer vehicles may be better at burning gasohol efficiently than does my '99 Accord; I've no way of knowing. I doubt that they do better than the expected 4% worse.
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    @number_6
    Thanks for sharing your test project. Not only is Americans being hoodwinked on the corn subsidy sham but small engine repair expenses are taking a toll on the middle class too! We suck to allow this to continue.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    How are you getting gasoline without ethanol? In this area it seems to be in all fuels at a rate up to 10% without labeling on the pump that it's even in the fuel.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• number_6number_6 Member Posts: 2
    Some states don't allow pure gasoline to be sold. Mine does.

If you look into how ethanol blending got and remains mandated by law you'll see one of the best examples of purchased politics I know of. We're turning diesel and gasoline into food, then into ethanol, then blending that ethanol into gasoline. The process HAS to be mandated because it makes no economic sense. The mandates cost the U.S. billions because of the inefficiency of the process but the real tragedy is it's driving the world price of corn and other grains up to benefit a well financed corn lobby. We've, in effect, mandated impoverishing and starving hundreds of millions in third world countries to serve a special interest group.

IMHO, the process is absolutely criminal. You might then ask why I would EVER buy ethanol diluted gasoline? A: Because refusing to use it would make no difference. Congress has mandated a certain percentage of corn be converted into ethanol and byproducts. By not using ethanol, I don't decrease the crime, I simply move it to someone else's tank.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    You are so right - my wife and I were just discussing today that if we had honest and competent national leadership and the proper energy policies, gas would probably cost half what it does and our economy would be thriving. Of course, it's not the only thing - there are many other policies that fall victim to the type of politics you have described.

Thanks for the insight on the use of ethanol.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2013 Accord EX-L with Navi. The traffic information has stopped working. This is when you go into information & select traffic incidents. Others in my area, zip 72205, are reporting the same issues. Dealer checked out another new 13 Accord, did the same thing. I contacted Honda tech spt. they tried to say I wasn't suppose to have it in my area or for some reason someone has stopped sending the signal. They didn't know why.
  • steve1920steve1920 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same symptoms as many of you with my 2013 Honda Accord 4-cylinder model with CVT. This is my third Honda Accord and I am very disappointed. The symptoms were: check engine warning light illuminated, loss of power, VSA/traction control warning light/symbol illuminated, tire pressure warning light/symbol illuminated, vehicle shuddered/shaked on acceleration, steering wheel warning light illuminated and shuddering was worse in initial cold operation. First time a dealer reloaded software and removed trouble codes, a second time they replaced valves in CVT transmission. After that, the warning lights did not come back, but the shuddering was still there. Third time, in collaboration with Honda Technical Support Hotline, they found that one of the fuel injector is responsible for misfiring. Finally, they replaced all four fuel injectors and reloaded the last version of software. Now, the car is running as new (no shuddering at all) and I hope that this is the solution; otherwise, I have a lemon. Both, fuel injectors and CVT are new in 2013 Honda Accord.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    What was your mileage when you experienced these problems? Sounds quite frustrating. So far so such difficulty for me after 9 months of ownership. Maybe yours is fixed now and will be trouble-free from now on.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • fair2usfair2us Member Posts: 26
    steve1920: Do you mind updating us every couple of months even if the car is not shuddering? I am interested in seeing it the fuel injectors are the problem. I now have over 5,000 miles on my 2013 Honda Accord 4-cylinder model with CVT, and the shuddering hasn't stopped on its own.
  • steve1920steve1920 Member Posts: 2
    The shuddering was present almost all time from the beginning but not so severe. With the first low temperature it was more often. When a few of warning lights came up I rushed to the dealer. They did not have any experience with such problem. Now, the car is after four repairs and I have 8000 miles on it.
    Steven1920
  • cleanroomcleanroom Member Posts: 2

Purchased my Honda Accord LX on 06/13. 6 months no issues. Great gas mileage with econ feature, averaging between 34-37 MPG per tankful, 75% highway mileage at 75 MPH. Then on 12/18, my 7th month of ownership, first noted issue. During my way to work, the car hesitated to accelerate at a stop sign in my neighborhood for 5 seconds and then severely jerked forward. I attempted to drive a few more miles but, if I accelerated past 35 miles per hour, the car would shake violently. Continued severe hesitation at stop signs. I thought the transmission was about to lock up and drop out. Turned around and headed home. I phoned the Honda dealer I purchased the car from and explained the issue. They arranged to pick up vehicle this evening, since it is unsafe to drive in this condition and the dealership is 67 miles away. Service department will look into the issue in the morning. Service manager mentioned spark plug/cylinder misfire. My inclination is transmission. Will update this post when I receive a diagnosis from the dealership.

• cleanroomcleanroom Member Posts: 2

Note: Vehicle referenced above is 2013 Honda Accord LX.

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

You will notice the Econ on when your driving on the highway for some miles.. City driven, stop and go and especially if you drive fast wont make a difference.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• yafeiyafei Member Posts: 3

After having these issues, do you guys still recommend buying a 2014 Honda Accord 4-cyl? Thanks.

Yafei,

Perfect excuse to buy the V-6.

Don't think this is a problem for most.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • hps25hps25 Member Posts: 20

Hi All Experts,

I am reading this forum from Sep/Oct and gets lot of details specially for 2013 Honda Maintenance.

I am planning to purchase 2014 - EX-L 4 Cyl by end of this month.

As this forum is full with owners, I need expert advice on purchased Honda Car.

I found that Major Honda Buyers facing Jerking problem after approx 700 mile. Even one of the expert of this Forum (Brian) also made statement that he is also facing the same problem in his 2013 V6 model. On Carcomplaints(dot)com total 76 complaints register for 2013 model out of that 80% are on the same issue (Jerk/Engine Problem) and out of that 50% are registered by NHTSA. I drove the car as test drive but didn't feel any jerk as it was too short (15 min)

Due to above issue, I can't take step forward to purchase one.

Why I chose Honda.. Answer is simple...->Good Resale Value, Safety and Good Engine.
    Question is "Is 2013 CVT Engine really good in New Honda car?"
    I am requesting here to all expert for them best advice if possible.
    [I am hoping, I am not violating any regulation/rule of this forum by asking such question at here and if I am then mod, please feel free to delete this post.]

All response will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
    HPS

Honda sells over 33000 Accords a month and you are worried about 76 complaints? A small number of problems will be reported for any vehicle you buy. Honda's reliability has been excellent and it has been recommended by a number of consumer organizations including Consumer Reports. The vast majority of buyers are very satisfied with their Accords. This forum is for those who have had problems, not the majority of owners. I have 8000 miles on my Accord, and so far it has been wonderful.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

hps25

I have the EXL V-6 Accord The V-6 is fast and gets good gas mileage no problems reported with 2500 miles on it since Feb 28th.

Suydam,,,,, makes good points in above post . I'm sure There are more than 76 complaints but still a very small number compared to the Accords being manufactored. My neighbor for one has had some jerking problems also in her cvt model.. The dealership told her not to worry thats how this trans shifts at times.

Hi Suydam and Brian,

First of all, I thank both of you so much for prompt response.

Yes, I can understand and agree with both of you that 76 complaints is very negligible number compare to Monthly sell numbers.
    However, I am comparing Honda 2008 reports: 2026 complaints (include 1050 NHTSA complaints) --> recall 1,512,107 number of Honda Cars.

Means 2013 complaints is 5% compare to 2008, which is also negligible but still need to think.($25K - Money matters ;))

Last Night I read couple book to understand CVT Engine Mechanism and I got the answer why CVT make noise, why engine rev-up but wont move car sometime after sudden stop, why it's smoother than Auto/Manual but not get the answer for jerk one. It seems like it's computer which maintain the gas flow. I will read further and update if I get answer.

Once again, Suydam and Brian, I thank both of you so much for the guideline and appreciating for the prompt response.

HPS

edited December 2013

I'm sure the numbers will go up heading into 2014 still a very small number so far . the 2008 did not have the cvt issue. .. My best guess is that if the number of complaints continue to rise honda will realize there is a problem with the system and have to look into it further... Who knows maybe they are quietly investigating this problem now.. This problem could be a computer sensor mis-read. lets wait and see. keep us posted on your findings..

• wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    edited December 2013

In the Sep 2012 MotorTrend evaluation of the 4 cyl accord CVT, they stated: The only complaint is that it's a little jerky at parking lot speeds; something we hope is unique to our pre-production test cars. motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1209_2013_honda_accord_first_test/viewall.html#ixzz2bUlmMoex

I have driven the 2013 and 2014 4 cyl accord and know exactly what they are talking about and if the people here are noticing this I don't Honda has fixed it. On Christmas day I drove a friend's 2013 4 cyl accord and noted it on his car. He had no complaints and had no idea what I was talking about. He's not remotely a car guy - he has less than 5k miles on his accord since purchasing in in Feb of last year. IDK about the older Altima CVTs, but I do know that latest generation of CVTs in the Altima suffer (or should I say experience) the same issue. I've driven a couple of them and they are just like the Honda. If you google CVT complaints for the Altima or the accord I think you'll find there are a lot of people with this issue.

Neither the reviews of the later in the year 2013 or 2014 Accord say anything about it. In fact most reviews comment on how smooth the CVT is. Lots of people have both Altima and Accord and are quite happy with them. I would say drive one for yourself and see if it is right for you.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited December 2013

__ I_ would say drive one for yourself and see if it is right for you_._

Actually, that is what I did. But I didn't drive just one - I drove several of each. The accord was my first choice, but the CVT shuttering didn't set well with me and I had a lot of road/wind noise coming in the driver's window. I rented 1 new altima and test drove 2 others. They had the same shuttering as the accord CVT, but in each of those 3 cars the light kept coming on telling me there was no airbag for the passenger. I had to stop 3-4 times daily (on the rental), have the passenger exit the car and then reenter to reset the airbag. If you google it you'll find this passenger seat airbag is an issue in the Altima. It has had a recall, but people who've had the recall work done say it didn't fix it and the rental I had was built after the recall date. But if you can live with or not be impacted by the CVTs (or the passenger seat airbag in the Altima) I'd say go for it.

Hi Wayne,

You are correct, Nissan buyer are facing 'same king of issue'(not exactly same) as Honda Accord buyer, Jerking, rev-up transmission and others, however I didn't find anything where Nissan recall them car for CVT engine problem. Recall in 2013 of Nissan was for AirBag, Tire and steering bolt. Let see, how's Honda do with them newly design CVT experiment in Accord. Time will answer...

hps25 - the only recall I was aware of with the Altima was the airbag.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited December 2013

hps25 and others: I own a 2013 Accord EXL CVT navi sedan that was purchased new in March. We have about 7000 miles on it now, and we love the car. Best car we've owned. Hwy mpg ranges from 32-38 for us, and the city mpg is c. 25-29. On average we are getting about 4 more mpg than our 2008 Accord EXL navi, which we still own, and probably a good deal of that is because of the CVT. We have not had any performance issues so far with the car. But my sympathies definitely go out to anyone who has had problems. I have confidence, however, that Honda will fix your car.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

Radio locking up.

My Radio freezes up. I keep on turning it Off and On to reload it. I noticed the problem being more constant now. As anyone return to dealer with this problem.. I'm thinking there may be a software upload or updater for this problem.

I have a question about the leather on the EX-L. I have the tan leather and it really picks up the blue from denim jeans. We owned a Nissan Maxima for 12 years prior to this and did not have this issue. Has anyone found a good protector for the leather seats or am I forced to buy some kind of seat pad?

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • janmurrjanmurr Member Posts: 2

My Accord V6 Sedan has a little over 12K miles and the vibration is maddening at low speeds as well as between 60-70 mph. A long story very short...this is my 2nd identical Accord, the first one I purchased in March 2013 but because of a faulty cooling system that could not be fixed, the dealership replaced my car. I could have opted out altogether, but other than the air conditioning problem (and wind noise), I really did like the car. New Accord (July 13) did not initially have this problem, but by the first oil change it did! I was told by the dealership that this was "normal" due to the ECO and it was actually "better than most"! WHAT!?!

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

No vibration in my I4, the V6 should be smoother still. The CVT had a "judder" at low speeds, but the 6AT does not have that. There is also a shudder as it goes down to 3 cylinders at highway speeds, maybe that is what you are feeling. Part of the price for up to 40 mpg highway with a V-6.

• janmurrjanmurr Member Posts: 2

@dudleyr It doesn't "shuddder" or "judder" it has a distinct and audible vibration that doesn't go away at those speeds. At a list price of over 30K I shouldnt have to settle, I was fine with the estimated hwy MPG. if I wanted better MPG I would have bought a 4cyl a Civic or a hybrid. Sorry, just frustrated.

• betsdancerbetsdancer Member Posts: 1

It sounds like I may have a similar problem although I can't tell if it's the transmission or something else. I'm considering pursing lemon law at this point because the problem makes it impossible to parallel park in the city.

I got a video of the car acting up, a link is below. We narrowed the problem down to three things: 1) slow speeds, 2) Forward Collision Warning has something to do with it--whether a symptom or a cause we're not sure (the indicator flashes on and the error light flashes on sometimes) and 3) it happens when you crank the wheel both right or left.

Be sure to watch with sound on because it makes a noise at the same time the car jerks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbupmJbrThM

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like honda has a problem on there hands. Your video will help them trouble shoot this problem. Dealership has a couple of tries to correct this problem before you could entertain the lemon law. Good luck.. keep us posted on what hondas solution is to fix this problem

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

This almost has to be a tire problem. If you're getting this at low speeds as well as high speeds it almost sounds like you have a tread separation.

• arpansarpans Member Posts: 1

I, too, have had the 'jerking/Rubber-Band' effect since my car was purchased in Nov 2012. I really am not satisfied with this, nor are passengers - they all think that I'm playing with the brakes! I asked the 'wonderful' dealership and they first said they never heard of that, only to be questioned again a year later when they merely said that that is the nature of the beast. If anyone has suggestions as to what course of action to take, please let me know. Thank you, Arpans

• tldtld Member Posts: 37

I found this on another Accord web site from June 8th that there is an update to the CVT issues. I don't own this model so I can't give you a first hand account.

Service Bulletin SB 13-053

REVISION SUMMARY
    Under VEHICLES AFFECTED, 2014 model VINs were
    added. Under PARTS INFORMATION, the Lower
    Valve Body Kit P/N was updated. Under SOFTWARE
    INFORMATION, the software information was updated
    SYMPTOM
    A surge, hesitation, or judder may be felt as the vehicle
    accelerates from a stop. The symptoms are more
    noticeable before the vehicle is fully warmed up.
    POSSIBLE CAUSE
    The continuously variable transmission (CVT) needs
    hardware and software updates.
    VEHICLES AFFECTED
    2013 Accord L4 CVT (Japan-built) –
    ALL VINs beginning with JHM
    2013 Accord L4 CVT (US-built) –
    ALL VINs beginning with 1HG
    The following US-built vehicles:
    2014 Accord 2-Door LX-S –
    From VIN 1HGCT1B3.EA000001 thru
    1HGCT1B3.EA012432
    2014 Accord 2-Door EX –
    From VIN 1HGCT1B7.EA000001 thru
    1HGCT1B7.EA012545
    2014 Accord 2-Door EX-L –
    From VIN 1HGCT1B8.EA000001 thru
    1HGCT1B8.EA012492
    2014 Accord 4-Door LX –
    From VIN 1HGCR2F3.EA000001 thru
    1HGCR2F3.EA213610
    2014 Accord 4-Door Sport –
    From VIN 1HGCR2F5.EA000001 thru
    1HGCR2F5.EA211625
    2014 Accord 4-Door EX –
    From VIN 1HGCR2F7.EA000001 thru
    1HGCR2F7.EA211387
    2014 Accord 4-Door EX-L –
    From VIN 1HGCR2F8.EA000001 thru
    1HGCR2F8.EA211218

• accdguy13accdguy13 Member Posts: 30

Does anyone know build dates of units before the updated valve body ? My 2013 EX-L coupe was manufactured in May of 2013. It does not have a vin with an EA in the middle but a DA instead.

• davidpotterdavidpotter Member Posts: 7

I read on the Temple of VTEC or Honda Forums of the same problem you are experiencing but no solutions as yet. I believe the general consensus so far is that is normal unless Honda Engineering can come up with a fix. I have the V6 and no issues as yet.

• anpkaanpka Member Posts: 1
    Yes I do have the same vibration problem for my Honda accord 2013. I toke back to the dealers, many time. but they couldn't fix the problem, they agreed there is a problem, but the technician from Honda said their device could not find any abnormal problem and it is the way the design. The crab experience no body wanted. It was good not bad in city around 23 to 27 miles/g and highway 36 to 43 miles/g . it was good when I was driving 43-45 mph and I got 43 miles/g. Now I am getting significantly very very low mileage. for city 13 to 18 miles , and high way 26 to 33 miles/gallon. My power also very much dropped Used to be there is not much different between normal mode and sports mode. Both have good power. Now I can really differentiate the power different. it is very low at normal mode. some time on the highway the motor was shaking. now other problem my real mileage and the actual mileage are different. when I drove 10 miles distance from my home, the mileage indicating 16 to 18 miles drove depend the speed and weather I drove. There is other problem the back camera doesn't work and the yellow line only comes. Took it dealers , and they said they couldn't find any problem. also new problem now some time I couldn't see any camera or line either. Honda should recall this cars and fix this problems.
  • billybobb46billybobb46 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Accord SE 5 speed and really like it but it shudders a bit around 35 mph during acceleration.
    I thought it might be a cv joint, so I inspect them frequently, however I happened on this forum while researching my next car. Perhaps the CVT shudder isn't in the transmission...similar feel at the steering wheel can be caused by dynamic imbalance of any one of several parts in the drive train or even a loose trunion...the latter seeming very unlikely in a newer car...though what i have read so far does sound like a manufacturing or assembly defect which a company that makes such a fine product would want to rectify.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know if the 2016 Accord(V-6) has a lag/delayed under acceleration?
  • peggy2013peggy2013 Member Posts: 4
    I too experience the hesitation and shuttering in my 2013 Honda Accord. I did not take it to the dealer. I assumed it was normal. Now I have 108,000 miles and today it jerked really bad when I put it in reverse and drive. I could not drive it over 30 mph without it shaking the car apart. I made it to the dealer, nothing showed on the diagnostics. When the tech drove it no problems. They called Honda and was told I needed to replace the transmission. $4,200.00. Has anyone else had to replace the transmission yet?
    December 2015. I have a 2013 Honda Accord LX with the CVT. I now have 108,000 miles and the transmission had a valve to go bad. I was told I need to replace the transmission. $4,500.00. I too was experiencing the hesitation and shuttering. I was told that was normal only to find out it is the beginning of the problem. Has anyone else experienced having to replace the transmission?
    All this hesitation and shuttering could be the beginning of a bigger problem!! I just had to replace my transmission on a 2013 HONDA Accord LX 4 cly CVT. I now have 108,000 miles. I was told it had a bad valve. Cost me $4,500.00. The diagnostic test did not show anything. The tech called Honda and found out the problem.
    Yes ronbrored. I have a 2013 Accord LX CVT with 108,000 miles. I just had to replace the transmission! $4,500.00. They said it had a bad valve. the hesitation and shuttering is the beginning of a bigger problem! The diagnostic test did not show anything.