Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Jetta Electrical Problems

123457»

Comments

• Options
    teffabobteffabob Member Posts: 1
    I have a really frustrating electrical issue with my Jetta that continues to worsen. First off, I was in a front end collision, and since then, the radiator fans run non-stop, so I have to unhook the battery when I park.

Now for the ones that have developed over time since that happened.

One tail light has ceased to work, I have replaced both the bulbs and the socket, so that isn't the issue. The hazards still work, as do the blinkers.

The central tail light is on all the time, regardless of on/off, key in or out.

Lately, the newest conundrum, the fuel gauge indicator is out. The fuel pump is good, I replaced it a month ago and it only stopped indicating yesterday.

I'm at my wits ends, should I scour the whole vehicle for every ground? I had an earlier issue that I thought was a fuel relay which I replaced, but alas, so many issues and they keep piling. Help?
  • Options
    hokukirklandhokukirkland Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    2006 Jetta tdi diesel ~ 113,000miles
    Won't start, occasionally it will but then will die and won't start up again.
    ECU only reads anti-theft codes.
    I've taken it to several mechanics, I've gotten the feedback that it might be the ECU (needs replacing completely and will probably total the car and I should sell it~ doesn't help being a female with car problems), that it may be a key issue and I need a new key, and that it might be a camshaft problem. Because I live on Maui there are no certified dealers, and no one can re-set the ECU so I haven't been able to try that solution. I have installed new battery, one mechanic installed a new main relay and that didn't fix anything, and another mechanic changed the fuel filter and that only helped it run around the block and then back to the same problem.
    I'd like to sell it if I can get it running, or even if I can't~ any thoughts on it's worth if it isn't running?
    Thanks for any advice!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Has anyone checked the glow plugs? Have you ever replaced them? Does the glow plug light work when you turn the key just to "on"?

Did this first occur when you were driving along and heard a loud "POP" and then the car died? If that's what happened, have someone pull the intake house off your turbo to see if it grenaded itself and is blowing off airflow to the engine.

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited December 2013

I am assuming that you have only been running the VW-approved engine-oil in that TDI of yours. Using 'normal' engine-oil in a TDI can destroy the camshaft if you have the 'pumpe-duse' engine. Lets assume this is not the case.

Recall that a diesel-engine does not need very much to run.... just compression and fuel being injected. (and we can assume your engine has compression) Hence, it is VERY likely this is fuel-supply issue.

The turbocharger (compressed intake air) is not needed for the engine to run and drive.. Hence, this is unlikely the issue.

Since changing the fuel-filter is the only thing that has made any difference, it is most likely that this is a fuel-supply issue.

To isolate this further, there are several things that should be looked at:

• Did you get a tankful of dirty fuel which is plugging fuel-filters?
    • Is there an air-leak in fuel-lines allowing HPFP? (HighPressureFuelPump) to suck air?
    • Have they tried feeding diesel directly into the HPFP from a bottle under the hood?

Your main problem is mechanics who have no clue how to troubleshoot a diesel engine. They are just 'shotgunning' the problem by throwing parts at it and charging you for it.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

My point about the turbo was that on occasion these can disintegrate on the TDI and then completely block the air intake, so in that rare case turbo failure can stop the car.

• Options
    Tasch_87Tasch_87 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2003 Jetta, and the digital time & mileage located on the dash aren't turning off after the key has been removed from the ignition, and the doors have been opened/closed. I checked to make sure all the doors are closed securely.
  • Options
    patvalpatval Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta and recently began having trouble starting the vehicle. The battery must be charged (it is only one year old) and the car must be used daily. If not, the car won't start and the battery needs to be "jumped". Is there a known reason why this model and year has electrical problems? Could a short be a factor?