Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,

We're pleased to hear that you were able to get this problem corrected. Generally, the parts warranty covers 12 months/ 12,000 miles. If you have any concerns related to warranty, or need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • wvsuburbanwvsuburban Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone...I can see from the posts that I am not alone. For the past year I have been pouring money into my low mile 2005 Suburban. Ive replaced the throttle body, wiring harness, cleaned all grounds, and a few throttle positioning sensors. The "Reduced Engine Power" will not go away. The codes have changed over time, but now it is stuck on the throttle positioning sensor even after I have replaced it a few times. This is my 3rd Suburban. The other 2 were great, but our main family car is sitting unusable. Can anyone help me figure this out.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Morgantown, WV
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    It's been 18 days that I went to my dealer to do a oil/lube/filter change and just noticed that there are spots of oil at different places up front (I always back up in my driveway) and also at the back. The rear bumper looks like smeared at one sot with oil. I past my hand underneath, inside the plastic rear bumper and can touch oily stuff.
    It must have something to do with the oil change because before that everything was oil...I when for a regular oil change and now I have oil spots on my pavement in the front and back on my HHR.
    Reminder...I always back up in my driveway and I'm the only car who parks there.
    If only I would have oil leaks in the front but...also at the rear? Weird.
    Hello,

I am sorry you are experiencing an oil leaking issue. Are you thinking about going back to the dealership to check out this concern? Let us know if you would like assistance throughout this process. We can be reached via Email at socialmedia(at)gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
  • flacoromeoflacoromeo Member Posts: 1
    I'm new here so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place. Just wondering if someone could shed some light on the engine power reduced error. Had to have my van towed to the local dealership where I live. Van is pretty much useless right now, will not even start. I wont hear from them until tomorrow after they find out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas why some Chevrolet's are having this problem? What could it be? After reading several comments about this error has got me worried. I hope they can find a quick fix and a long term fix. My van has 19,000 on it and its only a 2011. I can't believe I'm having this problem. Wondering if Chevrolet will issue any type of recall for this error? Thank God my van is still under warranty. Once again sorry if I post this in the wrong place. :mad:
  • butcherboy100butcherboy100 Member Posts: 5
    We bought this 2011 Impala last year because our last car was nickel and diming us to death...now it looks like our fairly new Impala is going to do the same thing. Our car doesn't even have to be moving and the stablitrak light comes on, and reduce engine power comes over the message board. Then when I go to accelerate there is big clunk and the car feels like it is being pulled back. After reading through this forum and other forums online I see this has been a problem for years, yet GM continues to put the same broken down parts in there Impalas year after year. Somebody please explain this to me. I also have been told that this is not under the warranty, which makes no sense to me. If the engine is being affected, then it should be under warranty. This is not right!
  • hwybearhwybear Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2009 Impala SS (only 38500 miles currently) at the dealership 5 times already. (3) for service stabilitrak and (2) for an evap problem. The first two times for the stabilitrak, they found a fouled spark plug. The first time, they cleaned it up and moved it from cyl. 5 to cyl. 1. I don't understand why they swapped it but, they did. 3 months later, I dropped a cylinder again and this time it was cylinder 1. They replaced the spark plug and everything was fine until this past week, I had the service stabilitrak message again. My computer was throwing the evap canister code but not the service stabilitrak. The dealership ended up replaing the vent solenoid and the harness. That took care of the evap problem but now, the car is running sluggish again; like there is a misfire in one of the cylinders. I guarantee that I will be dropping another cylinder again fairly soon. So, I am pretty sure that I will be back at the dealership again. On top of all of this, I am going through oil at a high pace...like 1 qt for every 1k miles. I am starting to think that I am going to break my 18 year streak with GM and go import!
  • gmiscrapgmiscrap Member Posts: 1
    As i can see from all these complaints and the ones i see when i report a complaint of nhtsa I'm not alone in my reduced engine power message. I have had it with this car! I have a 2009 Impala LT3 and its been nothing but issues for me! Within the first month of owning it the thermostat went bad, but it was still under warranty so the repair was free and my Chevy Dealership did a great job.. Now to the issue at hand, my Impala turns itself off!! Its happened to me on the highway doing 70, on single lane roads almost hitting other cars, down busy streets, in the middle of intersections with my family in the car!!! Being that i have to commute to work and have to drive all around Indiana my mileage is past warranty. Based on how many others have had this issue i find it insane to further drain my account past negative to attempt to fix a fault part that GM has to be aware of!! I have no way to afford this being in my current situation so my Impala is a death trap since i have to commute on the highway to get to work and it dies at random times. GM could careless about our safety they just care about our money. I've given GM over $60,000 on my past 3 cars and this will be my last dime spent to them! To those experiencing this issue too and not aware what is causing it, allow me to share. The issue we are seeing is due to a PCM failure caused by either a voltage spike creating a hairline crack on the computer, or its just a OEM fault from ACDelco. Either way it is a factory installed item that creates false OBD codes such as tighten gas cap or Evap Canister Leak. The only way GM will repair this is if a death is recorded and on their hands! I can't take it to a dealership because im past warranty and I cant pay out of pocket so thanks alot GM for ruining my life!!
  • dmagsdmags Member Posts: 1
    2008 impala ss with stabilizer error what does this mean. I was driving on Friday stopped, the key would not turn to off, took it to a local shop, they couldn't get the key to turn totally off told me to drive it home disconnect battery so it wouldn't run down, on way home car started spitting and spuddering lost all power to the car and the cock pit filled up with smoke.....help me please is my car totally gone??
  • lhotalinglhotaling Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2009 chevy impala and within a week service stabilitrack light came on, not covered over warranty they told me and it cost me $350.00 to fix. They replaced one wire connected to computer system. 4 weeks later, the light is on again and service stabilitrack message. I have seen hundreds of other posts with people with same problem. This needs to be a recall.
  • lhotalinglhotaling Member Posts: 2
    It cost me $350 to replace a wire going to computer system. 4 weeks later light is on again. there are hundreds of other posts about this, when are they going to recall???
    Hi ihotaling

I am so sorry that you are dealing with a repeated issue. Work/parts done at a GM dealership is warrantied for 12 months. The wire should be replaced free of charge. If you want more information or need my assistance could you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include a link to this thread or a brief description of the issue, your current mileage and VIN. I look forward to assisting you.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • justme75justme75 Member Posts: 1
    Most entries about loss of power are for 2008 - 2011 Impalas, most of which have some miles on them. I test drove a 2012 Impala that was repossessed by a Credit Union and has less than 13,000 miles on it. My main complaint was that it was sluggish, without the quick acceleration that I like in the car (and also, the seat was uncomfortable, but most of them are!) That's why I started to research Impalas. Any recommendations for what I should do to check it out further? Have there been any recalls for 2012 models? Would I still be getting the power train warranty if I buy this car? And why wouldn't it be covered under it, if it is a known problem from past years and wasn't fixed in the newer model?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe the 2012 Impala has the 3.6 liter V6 engine. Numerous problems have been reported on older versions of this engine (e.g. 2005-2008 Cadillac CTS's and 2007-2008 GMC Acadia's) with the timing chains stretching. If you want an Impala, I would look for a low mileage 2006 or 2007 model without the Stabilitrak. Most "reduce engine power" problems are associated with Stabilitrak (GM's version of electronic stability control). The 2006/2007 models have GM's 3.5 or 3.9 liter V6 engines which are generally reliable with the exception of head gasket and crossover pipe gasket problems. I would think a 2006/2007 would have had the gaskets already replaced. A well cared for 2006/2007 could be a good buy. Good luck.
  • victbtmvictbtm Member Posts: 1
    I will also never by a chevy again. I was so proud when I bought my 08 impala in 07 but I had issues practically from day 1. Thank the lord a lot of my issues surfaced while it was still under warranty, but I'm dealing with the reduced power issue now. GM...you suck!!!
  • du1152du1152 Member Posts: 5
    I can't agree more! I will never buy a GM produce. I had to replace the gas pedal, and last week I had to replace a side airbag to the tune of almost $750.00 The way they have it set up is if one air bag goes bad, it disables the complete airbag system so none of them will work. So in my opinion GM products are unsafe to even drive, and will never touch another one!
  • sbateman84sbateman84 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 malibu. This same problem started for me around 80,000 miles. I had gotten the lights before then but none of the symtoms til around 80. I get esc off, traction off and reduced engine power. I can always tell when its about to happen because it will start jumping and jerking while trying to shift. Then the lights come on along with engine light and the car starts shaking violently and then most of the time will stall out unless i turn it off for at least a few minutes. Sometimes it will be ok for a little while sometimes it comes right back on. I am currently at the dealer for the 6th time. Up until now they've been covering the repairs under the powertrain warranty. So far i have had some wires under harness replaced, ecm replaced, throttle body replaced and timing belts replaced... Today they told me its some fuel wiring and that this time i have to pay $300 out of pocket. Which i have to at this point because i need the car. My husband is a government employee currently not receiving a paycheck so its important that i get my car back and get to work. This is my second time here just this week. I just picked the car up last night because they couldnt get it to duplicate the symptoms. I picked the car up after the service dept closed or i would have taken it right back but it did it to me literally as i was turning out of the dealer. I emailed GM yesterday and theyre supposed to be calling today! I am so overly frustrated im at the point of trading it in and making it someone elses problem because nothing they do seems to fix it! The last time the wiring under harness was replaced it went 5000 miles before starting again so even if you think its fixed its probably not fixed!! Beware
  • hud1986hud1986 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Impala LT luxery edition with 41,000 miles, I bought it used about a year ago with 19,000, and it has had the Service Stabilitrak and engine power is reduced show up twice. I called the dealership that I purchased it and they told me they could run a diagnostic (for $69) to tell what is wrong, I took it to advanced auto parts and got a free diagnostic done. they said it read that there was a bad throttle positioning sensor switch. I went to the dealer and asked if it was covered under warranty, its not. I don't k know anything about mechanic work but I am going to check into price and try to do it myself. This is the only Vehicle we have and it is used to transport my two young kids (3 and 6) back and forth to school, activities, and dr. appointments. It is ignorant that it is not covered under warranty and that there are so many complaints and problems that GM is ignoring.
  • mohnkernmohnkern Member Posts: 1
    I too have this issue. 2009 Chevy Impala LT 5.3L, Accelerator Pedal Position sensor error. Not covered by warranty - WHY NOT?!
    Is there anything new about recall on this part?
    I am inclined to pick up the sensor at local parts store and replace myself.
    There appears to be a simple replacement procedure? Any reason why I should not just spend $80 for the part and replace myself vs. $350 at the dealer?
    GM should certainly look into the quality of this sensor!
    -Angry GM Customer
    404-617-6965
  • du1152du1152 Member Posts: 5
    Just buy the part and replace it yourself. It is a easy replacement. Do not give GM any of your hard earned money! I know I will never buy another GM product.
  • patalexander01patalexander01 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I son is having the same issue this morning with his 2007 Impala. Can you tell me which sensor you had changed/replaced? Thanks!

Pat
  • dgmorrowdgmorrow Member Posts: 2
    I had my car taken to the dealer and what they found causing the (engine reduced power) was a short in the wiring in the harness by the plugin socket down under the power steering pump. they cut the plugin socket off put a new one on. The part cost 35.00 dollars but the lieghbor cost was 360.00 bucks for 3 hours because they had to pull the power steering pump to get to it. from what i see this problem happens around plugins the wire gets stretched shorts out over time. i hope this helps out some.
  • daja7relldaja7rell Member Posts: 1
    What kind of sensor is it called
  • mopardewdmopardewd Member Posts: 1
    Annoyed10,

Has your car acted up since this was replaced? I dont see any posts on here since March so I'm Hoping it hasn't.

I have a friend who Finally got a nice car and now it's doing this (Chevy's Flag ship Impala).

I'm a Dodge guy but I've always liked Chevys. She's had a lot of issues this car. She got it with low miles at a pretty good price, beginning to figure out why...
  • wayniac67wayniac67 Member Posts: 12
    I have bought new tires every year since I have had mine,I was always a chevy person too,but I am thinking of switching,I have told all my friends and family of my problems,I am sure none of them will ever buy an impala.
  • pigglet27pigglet27 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Sarah,

I'm back and still disgusted. Same issue. Again. And again, while on a busy highway, in the DARK and ICY winter weather. Clearly if this is weather related (based on my Jan 2012, Jan 2013 and Dec 2013 issues), the design is shoddy. I can't wait to pay off enough of this piece of crap so I have an option besides fearing for my life every time I get into it.

When will a recall be issued for this? And please do not ask me to contact customer service. Their only assistance last time was to look up my car and tell me it was still under warranty and to take it to a dealer and "discuss my concerns". SO helpful. Not.

This is a KNOWN safety risk that continually occurs with no action on the part of GM. That is negligent in my book.

No Love,
    Me
  • allwaysgmguyallwaysgmguy Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    no recall yet?? wow. My 2006 impala
    this is ridiculous , almost got into a big accident two days ago... engine light came on and reduced engine power light, then car shut off, since wednesday been over shop and no one knows what the problem is ,snap on scanner said the amount of alcohol was ditributed to engine is 75% (not Gas) code p0172 (running rich) . Wow. why is it showing more alcohol level than Gas?
    reset the fuel ratio (scanner said 1% alcohol) and car is running fine for about two minutes then roughand 75% alcohol. funny isn't ??
    any suggestion GM? anyone?
    scared in ny
    Its 2 months later and same problem and just about had a major collision. Driving 25 mph when bells go off, engine light comes on, and my car almost completely loses all power. On top of that it is snowing and the car behind me hits his brakes and ends up on the curb so as not to rear end my car! Really GM! ?Still don't think there is a reason to recall this shotty product of yours? Yes I am angry. I put my family in this car thinking we are safe but we are not. NO MORE GM/CHEVY cars for this family. Unfortunately we will most likely have to sink our Christmas money into fixing this lemon...AGAIN! I'm stuck with this nightmare until we can find something affordable but safe. Very disappointed for your lack of concern for those who are keeping you in business. This is a problem that has been going on for years. Shame on GM!
    Its 2 months later and same problem and just about had a major collision. Driving 25 mph when bells go off, engine light comes on, and my car almost completely loses all power. On top of that it is snowing and the car behind me hits his brakes and ends up on the curb so as not to rearend my car! Really GM! ?Still don't think there is a reason to recall this shotty product of yours? Yes I am angry. I put my family in this car thinking we are safe but we are not. NO MORE GM/CHEVY cars for this family. Unfortunately we will most likely have to sink our Christmas money into fixing this lemon...AGAIN! I'm stuck with this nightmare until we can find something affordable but safe. Very disappointed for your lack of concern for those who are keeping you in business. This is a problem that has been going on for years. Shame on GM!
    So why do you only respond to certain people on here. We all have the SAME problem. In fact, I just fixed this problem 2 months ago and now it is doing it again, but 10 times worse. The 2011 Impala that your company made just about caused a wreck. It was snowing when my car almost completely lost power. Bells went off, engine light came on, reduced engine power/service stabilitrac sign came on. The poor guy behind me didn't have a clue what was happening since my car pretty much just stopped on slippery roads. He or she...ended up on the curb to avoid me. I only wish that they would have stayed so I could get them as a witness to a near collision so as to point out the importance of this safety issue with your companies vehicles. Not only am I putting myself in danger every time I get into this death trap, but also my family. Its not like I can just go out and get another car!!! Now I will probably have to pay $300. plus again to fix this witch. There goes Christmas! If you are thinking "Geez, what a jerk" ...then try putting yourself in my shoes. Would this be ok with you?
  • nukstrnukstr Member Posts: 4

FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
    "SERVICE STABILITRAK",
    "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
    "HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
    "STABILITRAK OFF",

"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"

CAUSE:

FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.

SOLUTION:
    DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
    CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
    CLEANED INJECTORS-
    RESET COMPUTER-
    FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp)

TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86

REFERENCES
    (STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2010-silverado-stabilitrak-question-47580/
    (AFM)-Definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Fuel_Management
    (ETHANOL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures
    (GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

• newvibebuyernewvibebuyer Member Posts: 14

I had the same message about Stabilitrak/Traction Control/Reduced Engine Power on my 2009 Impala SS with 94,000 miles. Car slowed to 40 mph. I pulled off and waited a couple minutes for computer to reset and drove safely to my dealer. Code for Throttle Position sensor. Since I was still within the 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty, the dealer replaced the throttle body without charge. He also found excess play in the left front wheel hub and replaced that at no charge under the power train warranty.

• avocado1avocado1 Member Posts: 1

I came across this forum tonight because the same thing just happened to me today with my 2011 Buick Lucerne CXL. I had just left my job and was about 3-4 miles along, getting onto a very backed-up ramp to the freeway (subzero temps, black ice and snow today). Another driver had just let me merge in front of them on the ramp and my car just stopped. I saw alternating warnings of 'Service Stabilitrak' and the 'Low Engine Power' thing too and also the service engine light. In my panic I can't remember for sure but at times it seemed like the brake pedal was intermittently stuck down as well (not 100% on that). I pushed the OnStar button for assistance- they called for a State Patrol Officer who arrived maybe 10-15 minutes later. My car then did move as I followed the Officer to the nearest exit and the car was pretty shaky/bumpy at times, feeling like it could stop again at any time. I had to wait a couple of hours to get a tow truck and by then the Service Stabilitrak' and low power warnings were gone- only the service engine light was still on.

I bought the Lucerne new in 2010 and it has 53,000 miles on it. I just paid about $500.00 for a 50,000 maintenance at a GM facility about 10 miles from my home and thought all would be well for the winter but obviously not! I have a 34-mile commute through heavy traffic (as well as some wicked winter weather conditions at the moment) and after reading what's been posted here am not feeling very comfortable about what might be to come. Due to transportation issues I had the vehicle towed to a local auto repair shop- not a GM specific one- so will have to see what they come up with. Obviously this issue has been going on for quite some time and it does sound like some type of recall should have been done. I know that on the 50,000 service that I just had that they did a couple of warranty things but apparently they weren't aware of this issue. Like some others have posted I too fear for my safety because with the type of weather, traffic and freeways that I have to deal with, a loss of power/control could be very dangerous to myself and others.

• whitefang1whitefang1 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2007 Impala with the engine loss of power issue. It just started today. My mother in law had a 2006 Impala that had this same problem. hers started when her mileage reached about 65,000 miles. my impala has 66,000 miles on it. I don't have the resorces to keep going to a mechanic over and over to get it fixed. I would like to see if anybody has a true fix for this issue. It sounds as if maybe a recall is in order.

I had to take my 2011 Impala in for a third time. I told the mechanic that Chevy had a pretty good money maker on their hands. Of course he didn't say anything. I asked him if this would take care of the problem and his answer was that there are several stabilitrac sensors and he couldn't say. I put $900 into this car in less than 3 months for the same problem. I almost got into an accident because of this problem that Chevy refuses to address. I would like to know what must happen before they finally do a recall on stabilitrak. I think it does more harm than good. I have written GM with no response. Am I surprised...no. We are nothing to them, they got their money maker and are not about to give it up.

• delrey713delrey713 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 chevy impala a little over 130k miles on it..i was having similar reduced engine power problems with it & finally tried replacing peddle sensor a couple weeks ago..so far its been good the engine light hasnt came back on once it was replaced but im also having problems with the engine shutting off when i come to a complete stop!!?
  • taskfamilytaskfamily Member Posts: 1

I have a 2013 Chevy Impala with the same issues. reduce power and traction control issue. It was in the shop during Christmas week and now it has been in the shop for the last 6 days and they cannot seem to find the problem. Very frustating, I drive 3 hours a day to work, very concerned with the reduce engine power while driving on interstate, safety is my major concern. You cannot drive safely on interstate at 40 mph. The car only has 24,000 miles on it and already having these type of issue.

• atandt3katandt3k Member Posts: 2

I have a 2009 Impala LT. The Reduced Engine power problem started around 42k. The dealer replaced the accelerator pedal. Then at 80k it became sporadic, but same code Reduced Engine Power. I took it to a dealer they could not find anything. Problem continued. The car will code even when sitting in the drive way. I have changed 3 throttle body's and taken it to the dealer to get programmed, and still it continues. Recently it does it when it’s raining or icy, or snowing. I believe it has to do with the wheel speed sensors and GM needs to pay attention to were they place the wiring harness mine was on top of the engine bolt. I moved it and wrapped it with electrical tape. It helped but still trips. Today I reset the codes, turned off the traction control; I drove it 2 miles from the house barely 30mph, and caught a slick spot. The Reduced Engine power came on and shut the car off while I was turning. It keeps tripping P2176, Throttle Position, P2138 Accelerator position sensor. I love the car, but it has become Dangerous and blimishing the Chevy name! The problem is not only to Impala's, but to Malibu, Equinox, Traverse, and Silverado. Please don't make it a Ford Pinto problem, and Chevy needs to recall this before people get hurt or killed.

• lakeluvr27lakeluvr27 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Add 2 more Impala's & an Express van, with same problems as everyone else, to this list.
  • littlejimmy1littlejimmy1 Member Posts: 2

Well after reading these post Chevy can count on me not buying a impala. I already own a Yukon with the same issues. Thought buying a car would make life simpler for me until the Yukon is figured out. So long GM/Chevy from a long time buyer. Now it is time to take a look at Ford!

• maugansmanmaugansman Member Posts: 1

Add another one to the list- 2010 impala same thing have not taken to service yet just came on last night then went out came back this morn. Really makes you wonder why it has not been a recall. I use to be a diehard Chevy but lately not so sure. 55,000 mile

• theprof13theprof13 Member Posts: 3
    I've had this very problem with the reduce engine power for about 6 months I've had both mufflers replaced $280, $100 for the PCM flash 6 updates they said it needs but none pertaining to this problem new TPS $280 ,new accl. pedal $75 took to the dealer for them to tell me nothings wrong. I really believe it's a faulty PCM. Which would cost GM a small fortune If they where to recall all of them. It's like a kid with a new toy they play with until it's no longer stimulating To them. The PCM is the same way with new parts It's happy for a min until it's not enough to satisfy it.
  • scotsmanusascotsmanusa Member Posts: 4

Day 1

Hi all,

As I see on the forums there are many issues with what seems to be the Throttle Body, sensor etc. Here is my wonderful story and I will be updating regularly in the next few days. I will add that I commute at least 2 hours per day and rely heavily on my car for work and to take care of my 2 children - 1 of which is special needs.

Car: 2011 Chevy Impala LS 61K miles (90% of which were highway) Running full synthetic oil - changed every 5-6K miles

Problem:

Left work last night and not driving for more than 30 seconds when the engine light came on followed quickly by what can only be described and mild to moderate jack hammering of the car and the "Service Stabilitrak & reduced power to engine" message. I pulled over, checked the manual - then Google/Edmunds which brought me here.

I got a ride home after securing the vehicle and came back this morning. Got it towed to the dealership and was told that it was out of bumper to bumper warranty and that it wouldn't be covered under the Powertrain warranty if it was the throttle body or any of the associated sensors.

I'm currently awaiting the call back from the dealership regarding the diagnostic result ($125) and will post everything as it becomes available in an attempt to help anyone else having a similar issue.

It's a shame too - after the research I had done on this car I thought it would be more reliable than my old 2005 Ford Focus. But since May 2013 I've now been left dead by the side of the road twice... first time with a blown thermostat!

So - as I said - waiting on service calling me back. I've also taken the liberty of emailing socialmedia@gm.com with the details of the vehicle. I'm trying to take a positive approach to this in the hope GM customer Service will pull through for one of its customers... I can only hope they do!

Good luck and safe driving! Updates coming soon!

Day 2

So I sent a little email to GM regarding this issue and my situation.

90 minutes after sending the email I received a call from a GM customer service rep that passed me through to a district agent. Linda (the agent) was exceptionally nice, took the details of the issues I'm having as well as previous issues with the vehicle (blown thermostat), contact info for the dealership/service center I dropped the car off at etc.

She said she'd contact the service center directly to follow through and see what could be done with my case.

Upon hanging up the service center called and confirmed that it is indeed the throttle body, that it isn't covered under the 5 year/100K powertrain (as of 2010 on all models apparently) and that it would be $650 out the door for parts & labor.

At this time as I need the vehicle I've approved the work and will be picking it up on Saturday as I'm currently travelling for work... more updates to follow!

Follow-up as of today (Day 3)...

No return call from the GM district rep but got a call today to say my vehicle had been repaired, that the GM rep had called the shop directly and that GM has discounted the cost of the repairs.

Initial cost was an even $650 + tax ($679) Discounted cost is $571.98.

At this point I'll be forking out the money as I need my car back. Not sure if anyone else has attempted to contact GM with any similar results - would be good to hear from you if you did!

Drew

• brandisangelsbrandisangels Member Posts: 1
    Well I googled this problem this morning when my car did same thing! I got in it this morning crunk it up it Isolde kinda funny to me but I went on made it to end of my rd hit hwy 26 an the service traction an engine light came on an reduced speed to 40 my car is a 2011 impala with 80,000 miles this is not the first problems I had first problem hit last year during summer when my vents quit blowing heat or air out u can hear ac kicking on but nothing will blow out vents and also my temperature gauge dropped all the way dwn past cold mark an the message read ( engine hot ac off) I pulled over popped hood nothing wasn't running hot nothing so I figured it was a censor gone bad then I have really bad corrosion on my battery so after reading some of the comments on here this morning when my car lost speed I pulled in at the store went in bought a can coke an poured it on the corrosion on my battery got back in my car crunk it up an it drove fine all the way to work witch is 62miles away so when I get back in it to travel home I pray it's just a battery I can replace if there is any more siegestions or answers to wy every impala is doing this plz help me not spend a fourtune trying to replace everything on the car! Seems to me Gm def needs a recall!!!!
  • siesie2012siesie2012 Member Posts: 2

I am totally sickened & disgusted by the fact that there are all these stories on here about people that are having serious, possibly life threatening issues with their Chevy Impala's, and nothing is being done about it. There are pages and pages of the exact same issues with not always happy endings. I got my first message this morning on my car about the engine power being reduced. After spending some time reading all of these posts, I am quite frankly terrified. Why has nothing been done about this? I am so pissed off about this. We only matter when we are paying for the vehicles?????? I'm just sick.

Hello siesie2012,

I am saddened to hear that you are experiencing reduced engine power with your Impala. I would be happy to assist you with getting this concern addressed. If this is something you would like my support with please send an email to ATTN: Jonathan A. at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your username, name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

I look forward to receiving your reply,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care

@brandisangels said:
    Well I googled this problem this morning when my car did same thing! I got in it this morning crunk it up it Isolde kinda funny to me but I went on made it to end of my rd hit hwy 26 an the service traction an engine light came on an reduced speed to 40 my car is a 2011 impala with 80,000 miles this is not the first problems I had first problem hit last year during summer when my vents quit blowing heat or air out u can hear ac kicking on but nothing will blow out vents and also my temperature gauge dropped all the way dwn past cold mark an the message read ( engine hot ac off) I pulled over popped hood nothing wasn't running hot nothing so I figured it was a censor gone bad then I have really bad corrosion on my battery so after reading some of the comments on here this morning when my car lost speed I pulled in at the store went in bought a can coke an poured it on the corrosion on my battery got back in my car crunk it up an it drove fine all the way to work witch is 62miles away so when I get back in it to travel home I pray it's just a battery I can replace if there is any more siegestions or answers to wy every impala is doing this plz help me not spend a fourtune trying to replace everything on the car! Seems to me Gm def needs a recall!!!!

Hi brandisangel,

Please keep us posted on the status of your vehicle. If you need to go into the dealership for service, we would be happy to reach out to them to see what repair options are out there for you. If you have any questions or concerns, please message us your full contact information, VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• katrinabkatrinab Member Posts: 2

I was driving and the REDUCED ENGINE POWER warning flashed and check engine light came on. Also the car dropped down to 20mph while I was driving on a very busy street.Thank God I wasn't on the highway !! I took the car to AutoZone to have the check engine light diagnosed and came up with two codes : P2119 and P2135 . 2135 goes to a throttle position sensor but they told me at AutoZone that it does not come separate and I'd have to buy the whole throttle body. I researched online and discovered that now they have started selling the replacement part separately (AC Delco part 19300180). Is there an easy way to tell what I need to replace ? I really don't want to go to a Chevy dealership as I've had bad experiences already with the two closest to me.

• novotnyjnovotnyj Member Posts: 1

Had the issue today with my 2009 Chevy Impala which has 67,000 miles on it. Was on the highway when the service transaction control and engine power reduced came on. Car would not drive over 30mph. Thank god the weather was bad and was only driving around 30-40. I was able to get off the high and drove back home. Called my dealership Sunny Side Chevy in Elyria Ohio and they had me bring it in said by me telling them they knew exactly what was wrong. $454 later the replaced my Throttle Position Sensor, Gas Pedal, Solenoid, Harness. They do a good job at the dealership and always put me in a loaner car so I can go about my day. This seems to be very common in Chevy's and even the dealership said the same thing. Why wouldn't GM recall on this. If the weather wasn't bad this could have turned out different from me and I could have been hurt or killed in an accident. This will be the last GM OR ANY AMERICAN CAR I buy. I would like to stay American unfortunately it is just not practical.

@novotnyj said:
    Had the issue today with my 2009 Chevy Impala which has 67,000 miles on it. Was on the highway when the service transaction control and engine power reduced came on. Car would not drive over 30mph. Thank god the weather was bad and was only driving around 30-40. I was able to get off the high and drove back home. Called my dealership Sunny Side Chevy in Elyria Ohio and they had me bring it in said by me telling them they knew exactly what was wrong. $454 later the replaced my Throttle Position Sensor, Gas Pedal, Solenoid, Harness. They do a good job at the dealership and always put me in a loaner car so I can go about my day. This seems to be very common in Chevy's and even the dealership said the same thing. Why wouldn't GM recall on this. If the weather wasn't bad this could have turned out different from me and I could have been hurt or killed in an accident. This will be the last GM OR ANY AMERICAN CAR I buy. I would like to stay American unfortunately it is just not practical.

Hello novotnyj,

We apologize for any inconvenience this situation has posed, and are sorry to hear that the experience with your vehicle has caused you to feel this way. We are happy to hear that your dealership was able to repair this in a timely fashion. If there is anything we can do to assist with your concerns in the future, please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care