Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda low tire tread depth after wheel alignment

candace8candace8 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Mazda

So I got my wheels aligned in August but recently I got my car checked again at a different dealer. They informed me that my dread depth is low at 2/32 and that I should get new tires. I told them that I got my wheel aligned and thought that was supposed to help make my tires last longer. They said the dealer where I got my wheels aligned should've checked the tread depth instead of aligning it. So my question is, is it possible for tire tread to wear off in 4 months assuming that they were fine when i got them aligned? ( i commute everyday but no crazy driving). Because it doesn't make sense to me that I need a new set of tires now since everything has been fine.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

They could have been borderline 4 months ago when you had the alignment done. And alignments don't eliminate tire wear, or even uneven wear. Regular rotation at no more than 6,000 miles (I usually rotate at about 5,000) will spread that uneven wear across all 4 tires and help you get the most out of them.

Particular types of wear can indicate if you have an issue like toe-in, or a camber problem, or over or under inflation, or even worn shocks, but tires are going to wear out unevenly even when the alignment is right on spec. Roads are crowned for drainage. That can cause uneven wear. The routes you drive might happen to have more hard right turns than left. Tires are going to wear unevenly. It's natural.