Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Quest Instrument Panel

tony47tony47 Member Posts: 2
I have seen references to a stuck tach gauge but no fixes. I have a 99 villager and with help from this forum and my friends I have been able to fix most small bugs except for the tach gauge. Any help out there?

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wish - mine's still sticky too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ndzyadykndzyadyk Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my Mercury Villager 1999.
    (Tech is stuck at 2000 RMS. Have you fixed your problem?
    If yes, please send me any suggestions or ideas.
    Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    tony47tony47 Member Posts: 2
    SORRY, NO LUCK YET. WILL LET YOU IF AND WHEN I SOLVE IT.
    TONY
  • Options
    creachdcreachd Member Posts: 1
    My 99(GLE) Quest tachometer is not working, can anyone help me with a fix
  • Options
    ebivensebivens Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I both drive 99 Quests, and both have stuck tachometers. I got curious, explored the instrument panel, and figured out a way to fix it. You will need a T15 Torx and #2 phillips screwdriver, and about 30-45 minutes to do it.
    1) If you are nervous about the electricity, consider disconnecting the battery before you start. There is a slight possibility of a hot plug touching ground and frying something, so take appropriate precautions.
    2) Take out the ashtray/cupholder (there are little release buttons on either side just inside the ashtray track). Unscrew the 2 phillips screws that are exposed when you take out the ashtray. Pull off the center-console trim piece that surrounds the radio, ashtray, and has the 3 vents at the top. This thing is just friction-fitted, so just pry it off.
    3) Pry off the sort-of-triangular trim piece on the left side of the instrument panel that holds the headlight switch. When you take it out, there will be 2 sets of wires that plug into the switches. Unplug them.
    4) Unscrew the Phillips screw exposed when you took off the headlight switch trim piece.
    5) There are two Phillips screws on the underside of the arched instrument panel - dashboard. Remove them.
    6) Loosen the large plastic trim piece that was held on by these screws above. This still has the 4 or so switches attached on the right of the instruments.
    7) Remove each of these 4 switch/plug combinations. I found that it was easier to pop each switch off, then remove the plug. Take your time & don't break anything here like I almost did. You may have to maneuver the steering wheel & gear shift lever around to get it out.
    8) The clear plastic face of the instrument cluster should be exposed now. There are 4 Phillips screws that hold it in place. Remove them.
    9) Carefully pull the instrument cluster away from its mounting location. There are 3 plugs that go into it that power everything. Remove these plugs. (Now would be a good time to replace any burned-out lights in the panel).
    10) Take the instrument cluster somewhere you can work on it. Remove the 8 or so Torx screws that hold on the clear plastic face. Remove it & set it aside.
    11) Using a pencil or similar instrument, carefully try to move the tachometer needle clockwise a higher reading on the guage & let go. It has a spring that should make the needle slowly return to zero. More than likely it doesn't move freely, which is the reason you are reading this in the first place. I found that the shaft of the tachometer is being rubbed by the faceplate just enough to make it stick.
    12) The plastic face piece that has the tachometer numbers on it is attached to the plastic backing with a mild glue. Carefully & gently use your fingernails to peel it up & reposition it so it doesn't rub against the tachometer shaft. I wanted to make sure it stayed, so I put just a little touch of hotglue underneath it to secure it.
    13) Once the tachometer moves freely, reassemble the instrument appurtanences in the reverse order in which it was disassembled.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Wow. Thanks for the info. My tach still works,(2001 Villager), but at least now I know how to get to the instrument cluster.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    I may try this when the weather warms up.

Steve, Host
    SUVs & Speed Shop
  • Options
    uncanyvilgeruncanyvilger Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how to reset the light on the dash. I filled the fluid resevior, but it still stays on. Thanks.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    It should turn off by itself. There could be something wrong with the sending unit.
  • Options
    padrianopadriano Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the fluid reservoir. Dealer services the van and of course, stealer is asking $250 to repair. I think with the above post on how to remove cluster, I am just considering removing the bulb. Its been on for.. oh.. 2 years now?!
  • Options
    schwinnschwinn Member Posts: 1
    These instructions by ebivens are EXCELLENT!! Thank you. I repaired my stuck tachometer and 5 burnt out instrument panel lights in the time you estimated. Your instructions were clear, concise and correct. Thanks for sharing your information as it really saved my a bunch of money and now my wife will drive the van again. That means I get my truck back.
  • Options
    Fixing my stuck tach is on my todo list for this Spring whenever the weather warms up. Should have played with it a couple of days ago when I had the battery disconnected to clean the terminals.

I sort of wonder if I could put a suction cup on the lens and pull the lens out far enough to clear the tach needle shaft.

Steve, visiting host
  • Options
    smile100smile100 Member Posts: 20
    I just fixed my '99 Nissan Quest stuck tachometer by following your instructions. Thanks a lot. Your instructions are so detailed, I don't have any trouble to follow them.
    Hope I don't need to fix this problem any more. :)
  • Options
    Fixed mine tonight. Took me two hours (I took some pics and reglued some of the weatherstriping around the vents, but even if I had skipped that, it took me a while). I might could do it in one hour now.

In addition to the three wiring harnesses connected to the instrument cluster, I also had to unclip and remove the PRNDL indicator at the bottom of the cluster.

My idle rev is a bit high, either because the shop that replaced my plugs and distributor didn't set it right or because I moved the gauge faceplate too far out of position when I eased it away from the shaft and reglued it. I'm guessing the latter. :shades:

I'll try to organize the pics soon and post them in a Guide.

Thanks again Ebivens!

Steve, visiting host
  • Options
    soueusoueu Member Posts: 1
    How did you fixed your Tachometer? Can send me information?

Thanks
  • Options
    smile100smile100 Member Posts: 20
    I followed the instructions from this link (http://www.carspace.com/guides/Fixing-a-Stuck-Tach-in-a-Nissan-Quest). The tachometer needle shaft was sticky by some glue. I used a toothpick to clean it up. It works.
  • Options
    I left you a comment at the Guide. So the needle isn't going all the way to both sides now?

Steve, visiting host
  • Options
    sighcobassistsighcobassist Member Posts: 1

I am so happy to have read this. It seems to be a common problem with these vans. i at first thought i got a great deal. I didn't know that the tach didn't work. I felt so stupid! After reading this--having good mechanical aptitude--I followed the instructions...hooray! While I was in there i fixed the parking brake warning light. i am so happy right now!

• Options

Mine's still working fine.