Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4-door Fairlanes

rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
edited March 2014 in Ford
I'm looking for anyone with information on 4-door
Ford Fairlanes. My grandparnts had two 1958
models, but for all my searching, I can only find
pictures, references, ect of 2-door models. Did
Ford have a model similar to a Fairlane that was a
4-door that my grandparents drove, or did this
particular model fall prey to "4-door-itis" where
people only want to keep the 2-door models?
Shifty, if anybody can help, your vast library
(extensive knowledge? seceret website?) could.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, Ford certainly made a 4-door Fairlane in 1958, both as a Fairlane Six, body style 58A or 57B (different trim levels) and as a Fairlane 500, body style 58B and 57A.

And yes again, probably most of the 4-doors were destroyed because a) they didn't develop any collectible value, as is true with 99% of all four-doors, and b)they were not known to be one of Ford's better years in terms of build quality.

Here's one for sale--looks like somebody went kinda over the top with it, but seems to be in excellent condition. Probably restored like that, it would be worth around $5,000.

http://www.aeclassic.com/58fairlane/
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    they were not known to be one of Ford's better years in terms of build quality

I can agree with that. The first Fairlane they had ws totaled in 1960. The insurance guy found them another 58 Fairlane, and the transmission went out they day they bought it. Then it sent the camshaft through the engine block. Then, aw heck, let me just say it took a letter to the president of Ford to get that car running right. It would take twenty years after that before my grandparents bought another Ford product.

P.S. thanks for the link (and eliminating the triplicate post :-)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Do those fender skirts make that Ford look hokey or what? All it needs now is a continental kit!
    Yeah, good for handling to hang a few hundred pounds off the back bumper!

I don't know what they were thinking. The 55-56 Chevy, early T-Birds, etc., were such clean and uncluttered cars, and then right around 1958 they went nuts with chrome and fins and geegaws. These cars are collected not for their beauty but for their outrageousness.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    a 58 Buick Roadmaster Limited with chrome fender skirts and a looong continental kit?

Saw one in Las Vegas last year!
    (shiftright, running from room screaming....)
    While we're doing overkill on chrome, My roommate, while watching the newest Star Wars movie for the umpteenth time, took inspiration for his dream car from Queen Amidala's starship. He wants it solid chrome! Talk about unique.
    Well, it's gonna weigh a lot...why do you think you can't pick up a Harley after you drop it?
    Maybe that's why its never been done.
    Also chrome is a poor conductor of heat, so no part that requires air coolling should be chromed.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    I remember as a kid being mesmerized by a '58 Buick Limited four-door, gunmetal blue, that was always parked near our church. It was oddly attractive, in a hideous sort of way. The Limited had a bit of extra chrome, which the Roadmaster badly needed.
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    They had to stretch the Roadmaster so they could add the extra chrome.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Went to the Ford dealer to check out the new Taurus and trucks (neither for myself) and saw a nice '64 Fairlane in the General Manager's parking space. Chromed-up and looking like a miniature Galaxie 500. A big "NOT FOR SALE" sign on the dash seen through the windshield! Awww ........
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Yes, '64 was a good year for Fairlane styling. A black-over-red hardtop with hi-po 289 (it was available) and four-speed would be a righteous car.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    the local promoter here gives "oldies" concert goers "free parking" in a special area if you drive in with "old iron." Generally pre-'70s. Some regulars also provide their cars for display along the concourse: '60s Mustangs, '57 Bel-Airs, Nomads, Fairlanes/Galaxies, GTOs, Corvettes, etc. Kinda gets everybody in the mood.
  • rancheroranchero Member Posts: 25
    rea99d - there is a '58 fairlane 500 four door here in cheyenne, wyoming that is used every day. it is butt ugly - tan & white. the car is not preserved at all; it is a driver. it is owned by a member of the local aaca club and is driven on local cruises often. it is ugly and not worth restoring. they know it, but still seem to enjoy the old ford.
    '68 was kind of a low point for Ford in both quality and styling...actually, quite a few 1958 American cars were pretty sad for some reason..it wasn't the year we'll worship and remember I don't think.
This discussion has been closed.