Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5 transmission problems?

julesbarjulesbar Member Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in Mazda
~136 k mi.
new battery, alternator, belts, pvc valve...

been doing weird things on and off for awhile now..finally, I think it is a transmission problem because it vibrates like crazy, idles, and barely accelerates. ive been hearing various things...is it something as simple as changing a filter or an expensive tranny repair

Comments

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

Hi, julesbar. What Year and Model is your Mazda (e.g. a 2007 MAZDA3)? Knowing that will help others figure out what might be wrong with your car. Thanks.

• julesbarjulesbar Member Posts: 3
    2002 protege5
  • julesbarjulesbar Member Posts: 3
    so I took my car in. they want to charge me almost $1000 to change both my coils, spark plugs, and wires. and also change the O2 sensor. this is a firestone mechanic that ive never been to before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Some franchises are good (I used to used Midas in one city I lived in but I knew the owner). But frankly, if I were you, I'd find an independent shop and get a second opinion.

You can get dealer shop recommendations here, on Yelp, the Mechanic's Files at CarTalk and other review sites (there's a few more at my dealer shop link)..