Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz GL450 Reliable?

124»

Comments

• Thank you, Gregory!!
    I have eliminated the GL totally. It even sounds like the 2012/13 LR4 is far more reliable than the GL. You are right, too much bad info out there to pull the trigger.
    I have narrowed down my options to wait a while and see if:
    1) the 2015 Audi redesign is worth the wait after more pics emerge or
    2) Wait till the 2015 q7 arrives and go buy a 2013/14 Q7 and save myself the depreciation
    3) Swallow the looks of teeh 2014 Lexus GX and get it for reliability reasons or
    4) Given the window of time I have, continue to research the 2012/13 Landrover LR4.

I wish you the very best with the Missus's GL.

Thank you again!!
    Cheers!
    --njexpress
  • Mine is a 2008, gl320 now with 108K miles, the only issue now is a clicking sound sometimes at 80 MPH inside the dash, driver side, car is still like new, love my car.
    Problems all got repaired by Mercedes before 50K miles: steering leak, oil cooler leak, DPF sensor. if this GL will last as long as one of our 2008 Sprinter, with now 487K miles (same engine) will be wonderful. Love mercedes
    1980 300D sold
    1983 240D sold
    1983 SD300 sold, my best car ever
    1984 300D sold
    1995 e320 wagon 175K still with us
    2002 S430 sold 139K miles
    2003 SL500 40K miles our baby since new
    2004 C320 wagon 89K still with us
    2006 R350 sold 70K miles
    2008 Sprinter 487K miles Work
    2008 GL320 108K miles love this car
    2009 sprinter 22 K miles Work
    2009 C300 wife gone lease 40K
    2010 sprinter 14K miles work
    2011 GLK wife 30K miles perfect

My secret is to choose the right Mechanic... I spend less money on all those mercedes to keep them on the road than one of our service vehicles Ford E350 6.0 Powertroke with just 100K miles...

• Now my gl320 with almost 110K miles started having air conditioning problems, very cold for days but sometimes will stop working for few minutes... today after few months stop cooling, I was researching for the real problem, my freon gauges were showing that the compressor was trying to start but will stop after just 5 PSI movement, charge was perfect, dealer added freon just to make sure when this problem started, I will be replacing the compressor and drier, ebay Denso cost around $450, mercedes dealer is asking around $2100!! lucky me I am a HVAC contractor.
  • chunachuna Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Hi, i was just searching for similar problems with a gl 450 which is what i currently have, mine is a GL 450 2012, i am leasing for 3 years, 2 more to go cant wait to get rid of it. i have had hesitation problems and back and forth to the dealer, they decided to let me swap with another Mbenz, then without an explanation they rescinded the offer and all they say was that "the way the vehicle drives is a characteristic and is how it was designed"..pretty much they are not willing to do anything. This issue has been going on since March of this year, many emails, phone calls to customer assistance care (CAC) what a joke they are, trips to the dealership bottom line they havent done anything. i feel your frustration regarding how management customer care for such a prestige company like Mbenz can care less for their customers, this is my second car with them and believe me the last one same for my family. After spending about 80K you expect to drive a car without issues and be able to have someone from management address and listen to your concerns, and not just have you go thru the 1-800 #. Hesitation/delays is dangerous when you have the right to go and your car wont respond or after a yield sign or if you need to merge into a highway or street. They have been given us the run around. Lastly they send a letter offering about 3000$ for the inconvenience, and we can use it towards a purchase of a new GL, and is valid for one year, HELLO..i already have one MB that I want to get rid of, and secondly my lease is not up until 2015... I felt insulted, and looks like they had no clue about what they were writing. i am still pursuing my case. Good luck everyone.
  • We traded the GL550 in for a Lexus RX450 hybrid.
    Took a $20k loss so we could break free from this lemon. We are so much happier! Mercedes is worst product on the planet and doesn't stand by product!
    Never buy again! We LOVE our new Lexus!
  • myposgl320myposgl320 Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

2009 GL320 Nothing but a piece of [non-permissible content removed]!!! Need to visit the repair shop every two months. Had to replace the Heating Element for Hi-Def Fluid $1382, Engine oil coolant leaking $1200. Airmatic suspension replaced under warranty both sides. Power Steering failed under warranty. There are also other issues, dealer cannot seem to find out the source of the problem. Spending $82K on this SUV is not worth it. I DON"T RECOMMEND BUYING ANOTHER MERCEDES AT ALL. POORLY ENGINEER... "The Best or Nothing" Thats [non-permissible content removed] joke!!!!

• The funny thing about the GL320/GL450/GL550 hardly any recall on this vehnicle. Let me know if there is a class action lawsuit on this POS...

• lovecarsnylovecarsny Posts: 1

Mercedes Benz 2008 GL450 ISSUES!!

When the GL450 first came out, we leased it and frankly did not have any issues. About 3 years ago, we purchased a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2008 GL450 with about 30,000 miles or so on it. The car truly was a dream until it hit exactly 70,000 miles and then suspension issue after suspension issue. Someone in the thread hit it right on the head, the dealer only goes by error codes and this car does not give error codes. I'll skip the boring details, but the car has always been serviced by the same dealer I purchased it from and they always made me feel I'm crazy as the car never dropped when they had it. They even kept it for a week and it didn't drop. Well, it dropped when I got it back and I took a cell phone video and showed them and they changed the air ride suspension and struts. Now, just today I'm driving and I have the heat at full blast as my windows were fogging up and the blower isn't working. With all of these issues, I've spoken to the dealer and they claim my experience and issues are ONLY occuring with my vehicle, clearly they need to read this forum. I love this car, but I'll never purchased a used Mercedes, too many issues. I'm just thankful I purchased the extended warranty on it.

• cm8112cm8112 Posts: 1

We purchased a brand new 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450. Fully Loaded, including entertainment and towing packages. In January 2014 our problems started. The car had just a little over 60K miles. Airmatics were gone, one after another within days. One of them even blew up. 4 Electrical problems, including radio, and door locks. All repairs costed more than $4,500 within 6 months, and it continued until we had enough. It just started to fall apart after 60K miles. I gave it away for $26K. Lost almost 50 grand in 4 years. I was lucky with that history of repairs. Do yourself a favor get a Japanese car. Our time, hard earned money and peace of mind are valuable. Stay away of this car and brand.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,431

Ouch. :'(

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• danihellzdanihellz Posts: 1

I'm so glad I got to read this now. I was going to trade in my 2011 328xi Wagon (which is with 50k miles and never gave me any problem besides replacing light bulbs once in a while) for a GL.

I just changed my mind, thanks for the feedback!

124»