Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I've never understood why DRLs don't also illuminate the rear lights, as they do present some room for error. Given the amount of clueless drivers in my area, I am surprised full auto lights aren't mandatory yet.
    No lights cars this evening - CRV with really dim DRLs, no rear lights, and of course, it was black. G37 coupe that had douchey little aftermarket bright blue city lights, like 5 watt things - went well with the loud exhaust and wide wheels. And the no lights award goes to a rented Camry - I was on foot and pointed at the car when I walked by, driver looked at me like I was crazy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did a couple of hours driving today, maybe 25% of it in blowing snow, and there were a dozen or more people cruising down the highway, barely visible without any lights on.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Local T intersection on 30 mph road has a certain stop sign that people run routinely - almost got killed there yesterday. Easily the 20th time its happened to me in a decade or so, and the worst yet. It happens from either direction to the straight-thru traffic:
    Every month or so, a stopsign traffic driver randomly ignores the stop, causing collision or near-collision.

QUESTION:
    Is it inconsiderate to blow full or beeping/staccato horn EVERY time transiting that intersection?
    What if no other cars are visible?
    Yesterday shows they may not be visible before they run the stopsign - the person "tailgated" the driver in front of her who did stop - running the sign from a "blind spot" - a truck-length back where she was not visible until "way too late" to avoid disaster or near-disater.
    edited November 2013
    I drove a little on the highway yesterday (under 100 mile round trip) - no real LLCS, but man, the slowpokes. I was shocked at the amount of "drivers" who couldn't have been doing more than 50 (in a 60), especially on 167. Poor mergers too - I remember getting behind a Prius that seemed to stay in electric mode long after the ramp was over - couldn't have got much past 40. Also saw an H2 that was going so slow, even the slowpokes were passing it.

Drive home was nicer in most areas though - the carpool lane opens to all cars after 7pm, but nobody seems to know this. It was nice moving past the drones as they dawdled along at 59 in the left lane, probably with a two handed deathgrip on the wheel, brainwashed by the endless "speed kills" propaganda the revenue enforcement cabal has spread.

Out this morning, saw a Jeep make an abrupt unsignaled turn into a parking lot, then zoom out, then crawl down a street and make another unsignaled turn into a lot. Both lots empty, probably not a black Friday zombie. And a big lifted F250 4x4 4 door that was crawling down the road after turning at 5mph. I still want license endorsements for SUVs and big trucks. In this state, if you are on a motorcycle and get stopped without an endorsement, the bike gets impounded. Should happen to the drivers of leviathans too - their rigs are much more of a danger to other road users than bikes.
    Are there any houses nearby to be annoyed? If not, I say go for it. The clueless idiot who runs the signs might not even hear the horn over the stereo and the conversation being had with their BFF, though.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Is it inconsiderate to blow full or beeping/staccato horn EVERY time transiting that intersection?

I am going to go with yes, even more so if there are homes and/or businesses nearby. I will tell you this, every now and again I get someone blowing their horn at me in such a situation. Even though it is obvious that I am stopping, and on more than one occasion had stopped completely, some people will blow their horns. All I can think of is "Man what a #$%@ idiot".

If it is a common occurrence I would be more inclined to slow down as I approached the intersection and be prepared to break and/or perform some evasive maneuver to avoid the idiot who blows off the stop sign. Blowing your horn might not work, if they are oblivious to you they might be to the sound of the horn.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

On foot this morning, saw a new Lexus GX driven by someone who is probably inexperienced (to be nice) make a right turn from a left turn lane. Towards an occupied crosswalk when the crosswalk had green. Nice. Also a rapidly driven non-signaling Escalade (must be a BMW owner?) and a woman with a phone to hear ear in a Suburban who didn't appear to want to stop for a red light.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Blow the horn at any and all fog filled intersections. Anchored ships automatically sound their fog horns when needed so we drivers should do no less especially while moving.
    Also blow the horn when driving over speed bumps planted by the local neighbors - especially late at night. After all, "it's for the kids".
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    >>>>>>Blow the horn at any and all fog filled intersections.>>>>>

Heavy fog in my area this afternoon. Was on a road that has a stop sign at a busy 2 lane and I wanted to cross it. What I always do in this situation is roll down both the driver and passenger windows and look and listen before I cross with the radio turned off. Of course, I am not on the phone as are many idiot drivers that I observed this afternoon.
    Tonight I saw a Tesla driving douchecanoe with a phone to his ear, and accelerating pretty hard while doing so. Don't tell me that thing doesn't have bluetooth. Should be a five figure fine, right there. Also saw an early 00s Civic in the dark with only parking lights on (I pointed at it, driver didn't notice).
    edited December 2013
    This is pretty inconsiderate - respect the badge!

2 no lights cars tonight, Avalon and Impreza.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    I'm glad they are pursuing Mr. Hanke's actions, but I don't feel like Ofc. Brennan did anything wrong there. Professional courtesy isn't the same thing as letting someone get away with something. He did what he felt was the right thing to do under those circumstances and he forwarded the situation on to his supervisor(s) for them to handle.

Without additional knowledge of his past and current behavior, kudos to him as a professional LEO.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited December 2013
    If you weren't one of the badge club, would Brennan had called your wife and released you to her, had you been caught driving drunk? We both know the answer. Not very professional, unless helping a fellow frat brother escape accountability is a profession. He and those he notified (after how long?) have a lot to answer for, not just handing over censored documents, likely in a quest to avoid even more scrutiny. And then think of the salaries being collected and pensions to be scarfed down. And it will likely end with another paid vacation. Ridiculous. I don't know if any kind of driving is less considerate than the intoxicated type, although covering up for others comes close.
    The difference between your take on it and mine (which would mirror yours if not for the actions of the officer on duty (OOD)), is that you're saying the OOD was covering up for another officer. I'm saying that's not what he did. He handled the situation tactfully while looking out for the safety of the public, and remitted the infraction to his superiors for further disciplinary action (which could include or even exceed the original DUI).

He certainly could have arrested the other officer on the spot, just like he could have done so had it been any other Tom, Dick, or Harry. That doesn't mean he HAS to do so. Is it very likely that the same result would have occurred had it been you or I? No. But, that doesn't mean he handled it poorly, especially given the "badge club" mentality you mentioned.

The OOD had to consider more than addressing the immediate threat in that situation, and I believe he did so tactfully and in a way that was not designed to allow "a fellow frat brother to escape accountability."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited December 2013
    I guess I just can't buy it. Had it been you or me, we'd have our car impounded, get a free behind-the-scenes visit to a police station, have a cool aftermarket breathalyzer device fitted to our car, and incur significant financial loss even if we got off with a reckless driving charge (which these days is becoming more rare in WA, as it should). Does anyone seriously believe Joe Blow would have been let go like that? Does "tactfully" = "hushed"? Maybe it does. It's not like he had a more important matter to attend to - he even stuck as the wife moved cars. Would this happen to someone not in the club? The mention that data was apparently redacted on the paperwork says a lot, too. The "superiors" (superior to what?) need to be made to explain themselves. If the officer was treated different because he was an officer - and I see nothing to dispute this, the one on "duty" made a mistake, along with his overpaid bosses.

I don't know what is less considerate , driving drunk or getting a free pass because you're a fraternity brother. There needs to be a higher standard, especially with the insane accountability protections, and generous compensation that comes with these positions in this area. I can't imagine it being defended by anyone who doesn't have some kind of personal LEO connection, and might be wearing rose colored glasses.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Here we have the FOP badges stuck on or held on with screws on the rear license plate to mark the cars of the brothers and their family. For a time my wife was friends with a wife of a policeman. She used her get out of jail card twice during the time. Just show it to the officer who stopped you so they know your husband is one of them. "Go and sin no more," is the response.

These are the folks who here in Ohio we pay 29% of their salary toward their retirement pension and they can retire after 20 years (or is it 25% and 25 years and the 29%/20 is for firemen?).

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Blow the horn at any and all fog filled intersections. Anchored ships automatically sound their fog horns when needed so we drivers should do no less especially while moving.

Actually any ship not docked would have had to use a fog horn. The reason being is that a ship can be anywhere in the water unlike a car that is relegated to one side of the road or the other.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Anchored ships are not docked, thus they use fog horns. When in the fog, one side of the road ot the other, sounding your "fog" horn is not harmful.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    There are 2 kinds of drivers that really annoy me in snowy conditions... those who are afraid to go over 25 mph on the interstate, and those who think that the speed limit is the absolute minimum speed one should travel, regardless of conditions.

Here's what happens when those two types meet...

http://www.wlky.com/page/search/htv-lou/news/entertainment/massive-wisconsin-pil- eup-caught-on-camera/-/9365716/23398852/-/1u0six/-/index.html?utm_source=hootsui- te&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wlky%2Bnews
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Cool video. Add in those who have 4WD and think it makes them invincible. I wonder if as more drivers are more distracted than ever, if pileups will become more common, as lack of attention seems to be a factor too.

I was out on the highway a bit today. Volumes were fine, but there were several LLCs, usually guys in pickups - but one was a teenaged looking girl in a final run Tercel.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    ...so naturally, at 7 AM, there's a LUNATIC riding a bicycle along the road wearing black with no lights. They swerve to avoid some plowed snow (DUH) and fall.
    Is that the same one that Ron posted? Pretty amazing that folks just kept on coming at all speeds, despite what must have been myriad brake lights ahead in the distance. I'm not sure what goes through people's minds in that sort of situation, but getting out of your car and standing in the roadway really, REALLY shouldn't be one of them.... :sick:

If only a dozen people were injured, I'd say a whole tassel of folks got off lucky.
  • hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Sorry if I reposted - may have missed it the first time, and that wouldn't be the first time.
    I was astounded at the speeds of the vehicles prior to the crash - if the road conditions were as they appeared.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    I'm not sure what goes through people's minds in that sort of situation, but getting out of your car and standing in the roadway really, REALLY shouldn't be one of them....

If it seems like the pileup is about to be on, I can see where getting out of the car might seem like a good idea, given the possibility of ending up trapped and on fire. But I agree that standing in the roadway or anywhere in very close proximity is a bad idea. Ideally, move the car clear... if nothing else, move myself clear if I can get out of the vehicle and get a decent distance from the roadway. Preferably with as many stopped vehicles as possible between me and the idiots-at-speed.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    I completely agree! Yeah, I didn't mean that I faulted those folks for getting out of the vehicles (esp those that were still in the road for whatever reason), but if you are just standing there in harm's way, it is much better to have a few tons of auto armoring you than being naked (relatively, not literally).

Paul, with that amount of traffic and the limited visibility, I have to agree. Overall insanity. The initiating impact was your typical winter time inconsideration: Some people maintaining way too much speed differential, others not saying in the right lane where they belong.

My mother, who drives a truck with her husband (team driving, they call it), was apparently about 10' shy of being in a major crash on I70 in... Indiana? I think she said. Some liability decided that their car, which apparently stalled out, would be best parked in the LEFT lane of the roadway without any lights on in the middle of the night. Another driver, with hazards on, stops on the right shoulder to assist the driver, so all the truckers coming down the road do what they're supposed to do.... move to the left lane! Truck #1.... BOOM! Stopped car is now dust, but truck is brutalized by it, loses steering, veers of the road down an embankment, trailer turns over across the road. Second truck clips the first trailer and also turns over. They were truck #3, and they stopped about 10' short of truck #2's trailer, which was across the highway and wedged against an overpass structural upright.

Yep, that could have been REAL ugly.
    7 AM, snow covered roads, bicycles.

Nuff said
    edited December 2013
    Don't get surly on us Sneakers. :D

Lots of them in the college towns up here for the roads in the winter and the beach in the summer.

Back to back winners today! Getting off I-99 on an exit ramp to make a left at the light at the end of the ramp and go across the overpass that spans the road. The light is red, so I stop. A car coming from my left across the overpass has two options: go straight or make a left to go down the ramp to the highway. They choose Option 3 and try to make a RIGHT down the ramp that I'm sitting on. Thankfully, they stop before they plow me.

The light changes green and I make my left. It's at that point that two vehicles decide that being on the two-lane overpass is the ideal spot to stop in the middle of the road while a passenger moves from the front vehicle to the back.

edited December 2013

Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

A few no lights drivers the past couple days, which still amuses me. What doesn't amuse me is the amount of SUV/CUV drivers, mostly women (sorry) holding a phone while "driving". The lack of enforcement for this and in crosswalks amuses me even less.

@xwesx said:
    Hahahah! Hey, at least it all came at you at once. I'm sure you were more alert during the second offense. :p

It IS getting a little old having to be on DEFCON 1 all of the time. But you can't let your guard down, not even for a second

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited December 2013

OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    OMG. Learn to pass, people!

On 195 this morn, there was a white Camry camping in the left lane with a LONG line of cars stacked up behind him. I, as always, cruise in the right lane until overtaking another car(s). This Camry is hanging out maybe 20 yards behind me, but in the left. As I start approaching a slower moving truck, he THEN decides to catch up and SLOW DOWN right next to me.

I wasn't going to wait for him and the train he created to crawl by, so I goosed the right foot and pulled in front of him (not close, mind you), continuing to pull away as I passed the truck. I immediately moved back to the right and let off back to my previous cruising speed. This idiot then proceeds to catch up, pull past, finally move into the right lane but only about 15 feet in front of me, then BRAKE because he was getting off that very exit we were passing! I let him know my displeasure!

You didn't order one beer did you? LOL

Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Today I got to lay on my horn when a likely new (and I don't mean teenaged) driver pulled out from a driveway directly in front of me as I approached at 35mph. Luckily I was able to swerve into the adjacent lane. I suspect she didn't even look, as she was probably watching the road from gap between the steering wheel and top of the dash.
    Otherwise, a mess here, light rain and hordes of slow timid "drivers".

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

@xwesx said:
    Hahahahah, Q! You know you asked for that, right? After all, you were driving your 'stang! :p

I've never understood the obsession people seem to have with getting offended over being passed. If someone straight-up passes me and doesn't tippy-toe around the issue by riding my tail, creeping by me, or slowing down directly in front, I'm happy for them to have done so!

Yes, well, unfortunately, I can't seem to win in most of my cars. Get attitude for being in a bright blue mustang. Get no respect for being in a minivan. The leaf probably enrages people to think I'm turning my nose up at them. And I'm sure the Benz, although nearly 30 years old, gets dander in an uproar for having a 3-pointed star. The volvo may be the only stealthy unassuming and unprovoking car I have.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Drove a bit on 405/167/5 the past couple days. Christmas Eve featured many LLCs and speedtraps, especially on 167 which is well known for both. Christmas Day featured no speed traps, and some of the south sound local rednecks racing around in their smoke belching lifted trucks that in a logical world would require a license endorsement. Also had a Forester kind of camp beside me for what seemed like eons - it might move up or back a car length (I had criuse on), eventually it slowed down and dropped back.

I'm doing a 3-4 hour trip on Saturday morning. Wonder if I'll have any tales to tell?? :)

edited December 2013

Took another couple hour drive today - more than a couple MLCs and LLCs out there, general slowness, people randomly tapping brakes to keep that beast of a Prius from going out of control at 59mph, etc. Lowest common denominator, I love ya.
    Worst was an old guy in a late model GMC 4 door 4x4...I was cruising in the right lane going maybe 64 in a 60. He was moving down the left lane at several mph faster. He comes up beside a slow older Subaru in the right lane, and paces it. I get behind the Subaru and am stuck. He then drops back a little, so his front bumper was maybe even with the rear of the Subaru. Then he suddenly punches it and passes the Subaru, getting into the right lane. I punch it and get around both, and as I abruptly pass, I see the old [non-permissible content removed] gesturing his arms. From there, he rapidly drops back even though I never hit more than 65-66 in a 60. What the heck?

Spent a couple hours driving back to the 21st century, this morning. State highways were decent - light traffic, no LLCs at all, but did encounter a small blonde woman in an F150 4x4 who varied her speed between 60-70, and we passed each other a few times. She eventually exited.

Then hit 5 and 405 - volumes were fine, but a pretty bad mix of speeders and slowpokes. Highlights were a RSX that had to have been going 100, and a Civic on a fast downhill stretch that was going 45-50, and being dodged like a pylon.

Driving back 200 miles across I-80 in the rain on Sunday, so the most glaring offenders were those who felt they didn't need to have their lights on. Lots of fun trying to pick them out of the road spray/rain/fog

edited December 2013

Out on foot this morning, saw a Bentley Continental weaving its way through traffic, but failing due to the great equalizer of negligently maintained traffic controls. He never used his signal. I am sure he's a hardworking honest capitalist who built it himself, and operates in a world filled with accountability. Also saw a woman in a huge red Chevy 4 door 4x4 diesel make an awkward left turn against oncoming traffic, and then a real slow turn on a side street - no signals either. License endorsements dearly needed for those.

And about the lights in rain, it's an issue here too, especially in rural areas it seems - where the city dwellers are too oblivious to turn them on at night.

I think I drove less in the last couple weeks than in years. Kinda nice, actually, not having to deal with all the other folks out there. I'm sure my cars appreciated the break, too!

Had some odd weather in the area last night - high dewpoint, but the temps fell below freezing fast - so heavy frost, in many areas looking like snow. Many crashes on area roads this morning, with some being closed. And I can see why. Was out this morning, and noticed when some people would drive onto a frosty section, they'd hit the brakes. Saw a woman in a GL do it a couple times. At 25mph it might not matter, but at 60, it might be enough to do in one of these dopes.

Out in the fintail today, honked twice - both at Subarus. One was a Crosstrek who took a free turn directly in front of me against my green, then crawled up a hill (if you're holding up a 50 year old MB going uphill, you're going too slow, then eventually slowed to a near stop, then hit signal, then turned. That earned my honk. Later was behind an early 00s Outback with one of those wide rear view mirrors, and extra attachments on the side view mirror. It was the slowest car on a busy 35mph arterial where traffic moves at 40-45. I didn't care, as I was in an old car, not in a hurry, and had less than a mile before I turned. But then it too slowed to a crawl, then signaled, then turned at maybe 2mph. Honk.

@fintail said:
    Had some odd weather in the area last night - high dewpoint, but the temps fell below freezing fast - so heavy frost, in many areas looking like snow. Many crashes on area roads this morning, with some being closed. And I can see why. Was out this morning, and noticed when some people would drive onto a frosty section, they'd hit the brakes. Saw a woman in a GL do it a couple times. At 25mph it might not matter, but at 60, it might be enough to do in one of these dopes.

Out in the fintail today, honked twice - both at Subarus. One was a Crosstrek who took a free turn directly in front of me against my green, then crawled up a hill (if you're holding up a 50 year old MB going uphill, you're going too slow, then eventually slowed to a near stop, then hit signal, then turned. That earned my honk. Later was behind an early 00s Outback with one of those wide rear view mirrors, and extra attachments on the side view mirror. It was the slowest car on a busy 35mph arterial where traffic moves at 40-45. I didn't care, as I was in an old car, not in a hurry, and had less than a mile before I turned. But then it too slowed to a crawl, then signaled, then turned at maybe 2mph. Honk.

Sometimes, just sometimes... in slick road conditions, I get the feeling that AWD stands for Another Wrecked Dummy ;)

Back in the day, I remember here it seemed to be 75% Explorers in the ditch on a snowy day. Nowadays it is everything. I think people are worse now than then, even with more capable cars.
    On foot this morning, got crosswalk crowded by a phone holding taxi driver, while I had the green walk symbol. I won't say more, but typical Seattle area driver and taxi both.

edited January 2014

In the dark drizzle, saw a 90s Accord, only parking lights on, driver had a phone to their ear. A real PNW sight. Also saw a couple of box blockers, one a teenaged looking kid in a big u-haul who looked pretty freaked out, kind of felt sorry for him.

I am pretty sure local revenue enforcement officers could make their $$ quotas simply by hiding out and looking for crosswalk and turn signal violators in downtown Bellevue. I wonder why they don't.

When I was on foot, some traffic controls were pretty idiotic too, seemed worse than normal. But I guess when you answer to nobody...

Apparently the traffic planners back east answer to the pols. B)

Maybe you should pick up a few traffic cones yourself. :-)