Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• lil_owllil_owl Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2013
    @veers @brian125 @johnnguyen714 and other Honda enthusiasts!

Pulled the trigger last night.

Price of 2014 EX CVT sedan:

Car: $23,033
    Doc: $80
    TTL: $2,137.79

Total out the door: $25,250.79

Price paid included wheel locks and trunk tray.

Feel good about getting close to $1300 off of invoice (or 13% off of MSRP). No dealer incentives or rebates included! YAY!!!

Bank is overnighting their check. Once it clears I will have the car.

On a funny note, they tried to get information about my loan so they could attempt to match it. I repeatedly informed them it was none of their business and all they needed to worry about was their check. Put the gal from the bank on speaker phone and she basically told them the same thing. Oh and I set the timer on my phone when he would go and "talk to his manager". Yeah...you have 5 minutes....starting now! We were in and out of there in about 2 hours ;)

Thank you everyone for the tips and insights...all of the information was very useful and much appreciated!
  • johnnguyen714johnnguyen714 Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013

Did you get your at Spreen Honda? I'm going to the dealer soon to get my car and hope nothing goes wrong.

• sandiegodriversandiegodriver Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2013

I appreciate all the good tips and advice on this forum. I followed everyone's guidance and yesterday purchased a 2014 Accord EX-L (4 cyl, no nav) from Pacific Honda here in San Diego. Here's the breakdown:

$29,060 MSRP

25,500 Price paid (includes destination/handling)

+

80.00 (dealer doc fee);
    2046.40 (8% CA sales tax);
    16.00 (electronic vehicle registration fee);
    271.75 (CA license and registration fees)

=

$27,914.15 OTD

Price paid included wheel locks and mud flaps. (I didn't request or want them so I refused to pay for them since I'd been clear with the sales reps all along that I would not pay for any accessories.)

The car was built in October 2013 but had just 11 miles on the odometer, so apparently it hadn't gone out on many test drives.

The $25,500 price was supposed to include the $80 doc fee, but when it came time to seal the deal suddenly the sales rep said no. I protested and so he got his sales manager. Turns out they are required by CA law to charge all buyers the same amount for the doc fee (if they charge one person, they have to charge everyone). I told him he should then reduce the sales price by an additional $80 to cover that fee since my e-mail and phone conversations all along had stated that the $25,500 included everything but CA tax and CA registration fees. He said absolutely not. We could have argued about it for a while, but I felt I'd gotten a good enough deal that an extra $80 wasn't the end of the world, especially since they were eating the cost of the wheel locks and mud flaps.

But the $16 electronic vehicle registration fee was a surprise. It didn't show up until I was in the finance office signing the official paperwork. Again, I just had to pay up - I wasn't going to cancel the whole deal for $16. This is something they obviously know about but don't reveal until the very end. I think it's why dealers are so hesitant to commit to an OTD price in writing (especially e-mail).

All in all, it was an okay experience. I was shopping based on price so wasn't looking for or expecting a pain-free process. My salesman (Tony) was pleasant and tried to move things along as quickly as possible. But I was there for a couple hours nevertheless.

I really like this car so far. My last car was a 2009 Acura TSX, which had sloppy steering and a harsh, jittery ride. The Accord is much more composed and has pretty much the same options as the Acura, with better gas mileage.

Best of luck to everyone here. The key to getting a good deal is research, research, research! Have your numbers, be firm and polite, and if a dealership or sales rep starts playing games, just walk out the door with your head held high. There are so many cars sitting around unsold on dealer lots these days that it is truly a buyers market.

Thanks again for all the wisdom and guidance in this forum!

Yes it was Spreen Honda. Staysi helped me via email/phone and she was nice. Other person last night didn't like quite as much...but Staysi was with another customer.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699

@lil_owl said:
    veers brian125 johnnguyen714 and other Honda enthusiasts!

Pulled the trigger last night.

Price of 2014 EX CVT sedan:

Car: $23,033
    Doc: $80
    TTL: $2,137.79

Total out the door: $25,250.79

Feel good about getting close to $1300 off of invoice (or 13% off of MSRP). No dealer incentives or rebates included! YAY!!!

Bank is overnighting their check. Once it clears I will have the car.

On a funny note, they tried to get information about my loan so they could attempt to match it. I repeatedly informed them it was none of their business and all they needed to worry about was their check. Put the gal from the bank on speaker phone and she basically told them the same thing. Oh and I set the timer on my phone when he would go and "talk to his manager". Yeah...you have 5 minutes....starting now! We were in and out of there in about 2 hours ;)

Congrats on your new Accord, Florence - I'm sure it will give you many good years of service.

I'm curious as to why you were so adamant not to go through Honda Finance - our family has dealt with them for many years and probably 18 or more cars and have always received great rates and service.

Again - great job and now you can relax and enjoy your car.

Bill G

2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • veersveers Member Posts: 81

nice job lil_owl!

edited December 2013
    @gmanusmc

It was a combination of the loan product that the credit union offered that Honda finance didn't have and our loan needs. We may consider Honda finance in the future but it was not a good option for us at this time.
  • mclarenhondamclarenhonda Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

@lil_owl

How much did Spreen charge you for the accessories pack on your car? I talked to Staysi last night about an Accord Sport and was told the $995 pro pack comes installed on all cars and the price was not negotiable since I was using Truecar's base price of 21,271. The pro pack makes their OTD price less attractive along with the 40+ mile drive to the dealership.

Congrats on your purchase.

edited December 2013
    @mclarenhonda

Yes the propack was 995 and they wouldn't negotiate on it. Even with it they were still cheaper than anywhere else....compared to the other quotes I received.
  • sri_njsri_nj Member Posts: 3

Great tips on this forum everyone. I got an idea of whats a good price from your discussions.
    Purchased Accord EX-L CVT With NAV in NJ yesterday night. delivered today morning.
    msrp: 30835
    invoice: 28269
    Price paid including desination: 26835 (invoice - 1434)
    Remote starter : 800 (dealer would not budge a penny on this one)
    Registration/title : 64.50 (transferred plates from old car)
    document fee: 299
    However I sucked up and bought a 100K/7year extended warranty for 1300 (bargained it down).

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2013

sri

Great job.... please post your Dealership.. There is still a few folks looking to buy here in the NY /Nj / CT area.. The remote starter is a wonderful feature especially here in the north east.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Autosport Honda on Route 22 in bridgewater NJ. Ask for a price on the internet. They seem to be on a firesale mode now.

Another one is DCH Honda in Old Bridge which is a costco affliated dealer. The costco price was 27570 including destination charge. And they charge 354 for documentation and this price is valid till Jan 04 I believe. I was going to go with this before checking out autosport.

Not sure if I did the right thing with the extended warranty, but got scared with all the transmission related posts on the forum regarding CVT. My 98 accord(which was in good condition) fetched me 1200 at trade in time at 175K miles a couple of years back. I did only fluids, timing belt and brakes on that one.

edited December 2013

Sri

George, Over at Auto sport is very good. as long as they have your vehicle in stock..

I posted 4 or 5 dealership here in the NY NJ area ...... Auto-sport, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Hamilton, Friendly, Atlantic, Huntington, and a few others who are known to deal at months end with much better pricing.. Some months its hit or miss.

edited December 2013

To Everybody who i have been talking with on the IM messages It was my pleasure to help you. I hope what ever you took from my tips and advice has helped you make a difference in getting a good deal.. Sorry if i could not respond to everyone 3rd and 4th post. I made sure i gave you the most important info that you needed..

Here in the North East... NY, NJ, CT DE, PA. our pricing was a struggle to get close to that 1000 below mark. some folks got it and alot are still looking.

Remember what ever your best final numbers are this represents the best price in your area right now. If buying the best rated midsize car means you only got pricing of 700 or 800 below invoice really does not make a bad deal.. The folks living in upstate new york dealers are only going a few hundred at best below invoice.. Every area has a different market price. Its your job to find out what that number is and then decide .. Knowing how and when to buy will help you get better pricing..

Do I buy in my area or expand my search to save 500 to 1000 more dollars..

I bought a Chevy last night and just closed a deal on a Hyundai Santa fe this morning... Buying these 2 model vehicles was very easy. Honda is a much harder buy. I'm sure if i was buying one i might be still waiting to pull the trigger or deciding if i was buying in a better priced area...

If you do not buy today keep negotiating via email with all your contacted dealerships. Keep emailing each dealership telling them if you sell my model for xxx price i will buy it from you today.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all .

Brian

• vabeach3vabeach3 Member Posts: 7

@nb1014
    Was that a V6? I also searched prices across states and bought my EX-L V6 from Pohanka (in Salisbury) based on price.

@nb1014 said:
    Chapel Hill resident here. Yesterday, I bought a new 2014 Accord EX-L from Pohanka Honda in Fredericksburg for $25,900 OTD. I used the techniques described in the forums here and emailed about 30 dealers between Baltimore and Columbia, SC and got competitive quotes from Pohanka and the Honda dealer in Danville, VA. The dealers in the Raleigh/Durham couldn't come close to $26000 (OTD) and neither could Colonial Honda (both were also tough to communicate with).

Happy with my purchase. Happy New Year to everyone.

• radar007radar007 Member Posts: 24
    What has the best price you got on a accord sport in ohio? Is $1500 below invoice obtainable?
  • dancingdivadancingdiva Member Posts: 39

Well we just got home after a celebratory dinner. I don't know what I would have done without all of your help on this wonderfully generous forum. Special thanks to Brian, Blue and Veers for all the knowledge, empowerment and encouragement they impart. And thanks Carbuyer for sharing your neighborly info and hand holding throughout our car buying saga in our area. Hope you did great. And to all the rest who shared their experiences it was beyond helpful.

I got up this morning after another two hours sleep but I had blueberries instead of a banana. Then to the phones. Huntington had the best deal yesterday at $1500 off invoice but I found out from the manager that they had sold my color combo four days ago. Being in the lot does not constitute it being available. That would have been an aggravating waste of almost six hours round trip in traffic.

New Rochelle and Yonkers were nice and tried to be helpful but could not get the car so case was closed unless I wanted hermatite green. I had already re-massaged the Westchester and CT dealers who had $400 doc fees and other garbage added in and all being close the invoice. I held back the two dealers who were closest to me. I still was pissed at the guy from the dealership I had already bought and leased from. His attitude morphed into the pits and he not only wouldn't answer my questions about fees but also would not return my calls. As I knew the manager, I could have gone that route but held him back.

I did call my last choice. As the closest dealer, 15 minutes away and really convenient in a good area, they originally offered $1000 OVER invoice then came down to $300 OVER invoice. I spoke with the salesman and told him I wanted to speak with the manager directly. The salesman is really laid back no stress and was happy I had called back knowing they offered the worst price (of course, they didn't admit that lol). I already knew the only dealer that claimed they had my color and configuration had lied. I found out from a friend in the know that there was only one 2014 black/ivory Accord EX-L with Navi in the state and it was three hours away near RI . I was reticent with a CT dealer because the doc fees are so high here.

Well the guy massaged me and massaged back. I knew this dealer would never give me off the huge numbers some of you were lucky enough to get. But then I looked at the numbers knowing his fees and a decision had to be made since he was willing to get that one car for me without balking. The deal I got was $519 under invoice/dest, his fee was $199 and $100 to transfer my plates plus CT tax for a grand total of $29323. My gut knew he wouldn't go lower so I had him throw in wheel locks and truck tray, four oil changes and a lifetime warranty on tranny, engine and drive train. We'll have to be good keeping service records but we always do anyway. That's why the cars last so long.

One thing I caught the last minute when we checked out a white car on the lot to show my Mom the ivory interior we were getting. It had Goodyears. Never had a Honda with anything else but Michelins. My Acura couldn't get up my driveway in bad weather, but hubby's Honda with his Michelins always did. So I made sure that was in my contract. It's rare to find the Accords with other than Michelins but I didn't want to argue about it after the fact.

Needless to say, it might not be the very best deal but it was the best I could get in my area that would get us the car and had some nice stuff thrown in as well. Hubby is thrilled to be getting new gorgeous, classy wheels after being without a car for a few months. I'm thrilled for him and also to get his stuff out of my car lol and Mom was just plain thrilled and enjoyed a nice dinner out to ring in the New Year.

Thanks again all. Wishing you a happy, healthy and safe New Year. Hope you all enjoy your new rides.

Hugs, diva

• carbuyer209carbuyer209 Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2013

Congratulations, Diva. I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable New Year having put the car purchase behind you. For something that should be an exciting and enjoyable purchase, the dealers sure can take the fun out of it :-). Some people like the game, I guess, but it certainly can take a lot of time. Sounds like you did great, especially given the market and lack of selection.

I don't have my car yet, but the deal is essentially done. I have a confirmed deal, have seen tand reviewed he paper work (buyer's order) and have a nominal refundable deposit on a credit card. The car is to be prepped and I'll go finish up the paperwork and pick it up tomorrow. I'll follow up with some details after all is done and the car is actually in my garage.

A very happy, healthy and peaceful New Year to all.

• albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200

So I am not sure I have seen everything from a dealer and not certain this is possible but can a dealer alter a carfax report to make the car look more or less valuable?

sounds like everyone managed to pull off nice deals in the end. Congrats! Enjoy the cars.

• cav829cav829 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

I think I did well today. I'm in the New England area for reference, which is always a terrible market to deal with, and I've been completely torn between a couple of options. The Accord Sport was, truth be told, my second option. I love that new 2014 Mazda3 hatchback, but you'd struggle to find one around here even $1000 below sticker. I had gotten one dealer down to $21,560 a few months ago on a 2013 Accord Sport, but walked, and am glad I did. One of the dealers yesterday gave me a quote of $21,974 ($23,225 is invoice in our area, so $1251 below). That was the second lowest quote I had, but the lowest involved a mystical "rebate" the dealer refused to ever confirm the makeup of, and given Honda only offers 2 rebates, it was probably college + grad, or one of them + flex. I confirmed this offer was with destination over email, but when I went in they tried to claim they hadn't meant to offer it with destination. Still, they caved on that after the first hour and half of negotiation. I still was mixed on the whole deal (still wanted that Mazda in the back of my head), and kept stalling and attempting to leave. I had an old car (think Clinton admin, almost first term too) almost at the 200k mark, a CarFax showing it had been in an accident, and enough scratches and damage from years in New England that I was relying on a private sale through a friend with a lot who thought he could get me around $1000 profit for it and he'd just take costs. They ended up offering me $1200 for it to get the deal done. I also had the $500 college rebate. So all together, it was $22,550 out the door.

So even though I've just lurked for months, thanks for all of the help! Not exactly the $1500-$2000 below invoice some people have been getting, but worked out well and the dealership was very pleasant to deal with even if their finance guy was so backlogged I had to wait 45 minutes to get to him (though once I did, it was a 15 minute process, no games).

Carbuyer, you're right about how stressful this has been and Honda dealers surely do not make it easy. It should be a joyous process but then just being able to afford a new car and go for tests drives and dream of all the wonderful places you will get to go in your new wheels is a joy. Since I was young, a car was always freedom for me. My magic carpet ride and in those days a ticket to some mighty fine drag racing in my muscle car rofl. Ultimately we will put all the crazy dealers behind us, breathe in that new car smell and let it take us anywhere we want to go. And hopefully we will live long enough to do all this all over again.

I know in a way I had to give a little in my expectations for getting a deal of a lifetime and actually getting this car. We all have to weigh our choices and then decide what's important. A few days ago I became obsessed with how much under invoice I could get. I was literally shopping til I dropped. Those competitive juices coursing through me made me forget that there are other pieces of the puzzle like fees, availability and where we are shopping. I really frankly am not well enough to travel a very long distance for this car although certainly I didn't settle for a dealer merely because of close proximity. In the end that would just be a bonus.

When I woke up this morning, I was fully prepared to wait until January for another go around. After yesterday, if I never saw another car dealer I would have been happy. But then again, we needed another car sooner than later and if this was the best time to buy I just had to make it work. I did this deal on the phone before I even got out of bed with my last place dealer. Later this afternoon, having deal in hand, hubby, Mom and I went to the showroom and finished the deal happily. The dealer had already ordered the car from up north to arrive just before closing today.

A couple of dollars more was acceptable, which really with finders fees that some dealers wanted to get this color combo and navi or having to wait a whole other month and continue to share my car, wasn't a whole lot at all considering the fees were half of anyone else nearby and I got some nice stuff thrown in. We will spend New Year's Day thinking about our beautiful new car to be picked up on Thursday before the blizzard hits lol. Hubby doesn't even care that his first trip will be to our garage with thoughts of wondrous trips here and there after we dig out of the coming snowstorm.

I am thrilled for you, carbuyer, and all the rest that made it work. I'm proud of you all and myself included. No one in here rolls over and plays dead. That's why we come here in the first place - to arm ourselves for the fight for a new car. In the end, the dealers will still be there ripping their hair out for the neverending saga of more new sales and hopefully they are getting beat up good by smart folks like those in this forum. We get to drive our new cars to the moon or the store. Happy trails all! Keep it safe and Happy New Year!

diva

• jake1728jake1728 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2014

Lurker here, but thanks so much everyone for your help in approaching this (veers, brian, vabeach, everyone I haven't named since it's after Midnight...)

Purchased a 2014 Accord LX CVT, no options. Target was 19,400 incl. all doc/dealer fees and I think I came close.

Invoice: 21620

Sales price: 19165

Doc: 200

Out-of-state registration dealer fee: 160 (only because it was financed, dealer was willing to waive if cash deal)

+My state's sales tax

+My state's tags

OTD is $19,525 (incl. all dealer fees) + sales tax + tags

$2,095 below invoice all said and done. Definitely worth the drive to Maryland imo. Local dealers where no where close.

Dealer is O Donel Honda outside Baltimore. They were a pleasure to deal with. Upfront quote via email, no games at the dealership, and just all around great guys.

Happy New Years everyone and good luck if you're still in the market. Hope you find a deal you like!

edited January 2014

Great news from my NY homie's. Dec 31st has paid off.. Even upstate NY dealers selling at invoice price sold today to one of our members for 750 below invoice.. Enjoy your new vehicles you worked hard but it paid off.. You all played the game well and some did not even know it..

Welcome to my world..

Jake, very nice, you must have caught them in that $3,000 incentive zone. It's very tough to get them over $2k under invoice on the east coast, that is a steal.

• Sam_accordSam_accord Member Posts: 3

I bought 2014 accord ex-l (non nav, v4) yesterday. It was 25100 - 500 (flex cash) = 24600 base price including destination. With 8% tax in CA and registration it came out 27000 out the door. It has splash guards, wheel locks and trunk tray installed.

Did I get good deal? Please let me know.

@jake1728 said:
    Lurker here, but thanks so much everyone for your help in approaching this (veers, brian, vabeach, everyone I haven't named since it's after Midnight...)

Purchased a 2014 Accord LX CVT, no options. Target was 19,400 incl. all doc/dealer fees and I think I came close.

Invoice: 21620

Sales price: 19165

Doc: 200

Out-of-state registration dealer fee: 160 (only because it was financed, dealer was willing to waive if cash deal)

+My state's sales tax

+My state's tags

OTD is $19,525 (incl. all dealer fees) + sales tax + tags

$2,095 below invoice all said and done. Definitely worth the drive to Maryland imo. Local dealers where no where close.

Dealer is O Donel Honda outside Baltimore. They were a pleasure to deal with. Upfront quote via email, no games at the dealership, and just all around great guys.

Happy New Years everyone and good luck if you're still in the market. Hope you find a deal you like!

Nice deal Jake - great job!

Enjoy your new Accord.

Bill G

• texan1texan1 Member Posts: 6

I am buying Accord Sedan Sport CVT list with dealer added option25747 and I am getting drive out with TTL and all fees and wheel lock door edge guard,Trunk tray splash gurds all weather mats window tints and interior exterior protect for $23,300. Looks like good deal let me know.

• nb1014nb1014 Member Posts: 2

@vabeach3: It was a 4 cylinder with no navigation. I should also clarify that the price was $25900 including the destination charge, tax, title, and all associated fees.

@vabeach3 said:
    nb1014
    Was that a V6? I also searched prices across states and bought my EX-L V6 from Pohanka (in Salisbury) based on price.

edited January 2014

texan1

Invoice with dest/charge on your model is====23,225.. Your added accessories at close to dealership invoice price would be just over 300 dollars if you bought those items from web site. Cheap honda parts or College Hills honda.

Your at 400 below invoice if you take into account your added options. Go back thru this board and see what your area pricing is..This will help you decide if your current offer is in your area's Market price.

Anyone who posted here on the 30th and 31st about there price you most likely wont get near.

Your current offer has some more room for Negotiation. If you have high doc fee charges you need to add those onto your asking price making it a wash on the bill of sale.

edited January 2014

Folks buying this year 2014. Models.. Supply and demand and your area are always factors that effect pricing. knowing how and when to buy will help you save a couple of hundred to as much as 1000 if your play the game right..

You will find some good deals this month and at months end with some dealerships. If you cant find a good price to buy i would follow this board and wait til these 2 dates

FEB...., President week til the end of .

End of Mar...... This ends the 1st quarter for all car companies.

As all you folks have been reading this board. My suggestion is do not go crazy killing your self trying to get that knock out deal in the middle of the month . Your wasting your time . If you do your research and homework with your target list of dealerships you will make the best possible deal in your area the last 3days, to the last day of the month .

If you live in the states that were mentioned before CT ,NY, NJ, DE, PA .NC, OH nothing has changed. Pricing will continue to be frustrating with alot of dealerships.. So you may want to add boarding states to your buying search and apply the same tips and advice to make that deal your looking for.. Being prepared and deciding you will travel for that better deal gives you the most leverage when dealing with your local area places.

Your area's market prices falls into this price range for the Smart / Educated buyes like us.. This should be your high and low guide to making a good or great deal..

600 to 1500 below invoice price is where the market is right now for Accords, plus any incentives and rebates In most states . If your in States like NC your best price might be getting 700 below. That does not mean your getting a bad deal. Thats your Area's pricing. AS we get into these next 3 months buyers will find they can get dealerships to sell right around 1500 below invoice price straight up with no incentives or rebates. Until then you may have to find those dealerships willing.

I will echo brian125's comments about expanding your search area.

Strongly recommend that New Englanders and those in the mid-Atlantic consider contacting **MARYLAND **dealers for prices (Pohanka-Salisbury where I purchased, Ourisman, Waldorf, College Park). Then you can decide if you want to travel for a lower price or not. From my experience, my local Virginia dealers would not match Maryland prices.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417

@vabeach3 - so what is the catch with MD dealers? Do they charge doc fees in MD?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hi everyone. Happy New Year! So I said I would follow up with some details when the car was in the garage and it is now there … and may stay there for quite some time given the expected weather here!

First a little background. Let me say this was a difficult purchase for me because I was really torn for some time about what type of car I wanted (SUV vs. sedan) as well as what make and model. When I finally settled on getting another Accord I was pretty sure I wanted a V6 but wasn't sure if I should get the NAV model. I eventually decided to save the money and get the non-NAV. That is what I had been negotiating for and I had it down to two dealers with reasonably close quotes. I decided to go with the closer (geographically) of the two even thought their price was slightly higher due to travel convenience and because I felt they were a little easier to work with (willing to take a credit card deposit, provide buyers order, etc.). Then I found out there was a (I believe, honest) mistake and they didn't have the non-NAV in the color I wanted. I was all set to go with the other dealer, but changed my mind and decided I would rather deal closer to home and get the NAV model IF I could get a deal I was happy with. In the end, I wound up spending more money than I had initially intended (because I decided to go with NAV), but I think deep down I really wanted the NAV but had talked myself out of it. So, I think it all worked out well and I was happy with the deal.

Details:

Accord EX-L V6 w/NAV MSRP $32,190. Invoice w/destination $30,162. Sales price $28,089 including destination and $75 NY doc fee plus tax and standard motor vehicle fees. $2073 under invoice if you include the doc fee or $2148 under if the doc fee is treated separately (not sure how you guys look at it). They also agreed to throw in wheel locks and splash guards.

In the end, I felt like I got a great car at a very competitive price in a tough market and I didn't have to drive very far. The transaction at the dealer went very quickly and smoothly, having worked out everything in advance. The finance manager, of course, gave me the usual story about what a great deal it was and said when he saw it he thought it must be Christmas, New Year's and my birthday. LOL

Thanks again to Brian, Veers, Diva and everyone else who shared their wisdom and experiences. It was a huge help.

@carbuyer209

Wow! That is a great deal - you did a fantastic job carbuyer.

Enjoy your new Accord and try to keep it out of the snow - at least for a while.

Bill G

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009

@carbuyer209

Congrats on your purchase. What a great deal.
    Did your price include any incentives such as flex cash?

2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
    edited January 2014

Brian said it best: As all you folks have been reading this board. My suggestion is do not go crazy killing your self trying to get that knock out deal in the middle of the month . Your wasting your time . If you do your research and homework with your target list of dealerships you will make the best possible deal in your area the last 3days, to the last day of the month .

I just wanted to add my two cents with regards to pricing.

Let's assume that Brian is able to buy a new Accord from Dealer A at great price for $XX below invoice, after reading advice and negotiation techniques on this forum. Do not expect to get the same deal as Brian from the same dealership without doing your research. There are several factors in play, which I am not going to discuss at this time.

Time is money, so sometimes we (car buyers) have to ask ourselves whether it is worth saving a few extra bucks by waiting another month to buy a car or drive a few hundred miles for the lowest price.

For all the newbies or lurkers out there, I am going to re-post useful information you should be asking dealers when emailing them for a price quote. It is not rocket science. Here it is:

1. Sales price of the car including the $790 destination (BUT not including any incentives - This is VERY IMPORTANT)
    2. Dealer documentation fees
    3. Registration fees (should be the same across dealers in the same state)
    4. Incentives such as flex cash, military rebate or grad rebate (if you qualify)
    5. The most important question is whether they have the car you want on their lot, or if not, whether they will be able to locate it for you at no extra charge from another dealership (if supply is limited)

You can also ask them whether the car comes with any dealer-add ons (accessories).

It is simple as that. Do not waste time with salesmen and dealers that give you the run around. If a dealer cannot tell you what their doc fees are or what the sales price of the car is via email or via a phone call, then move on to the next dealership. Do not fall for any tricks by buying an extended warranty from the finance office while finalizing your deal. They are over priced.

I hope this information will help someone out there not get frustrated and be more informed.

Note: Always do your research. Do not rely on salesmen to do your homework for you. Buying a car is a big purchase for most of us, so make sure you educate yourself. Never make any assumptions about what is included in the sales price of the car (if you are not sure). If you have any doubts, ask the dealer to clarify.

Enjoy the New Year. Those of you in the Northeast, be safe out there. We are expecting more than a foot of snow in MA between today and tomorrow.

Wow Carbuyer, you did amazing! I'm so thrilled for you. Congrats to you and your wife on a beautiful new car. You can't go wrong with an Accord.

We went through the same thing only trying to figure out the 4 or 6 cyl EXL. I wanted the 6 and hubby wanted what he had before - the 4 with the better gas mileage. We already have a big SUV so we figured one car for bad weather was enough. Nav was a must for hubby and he was not flexible with the color combo so that was the problem. Our dealer had just gotten our car in today around noon and had to swap out the tires from a new touring model so we would have our Michelins. Can't believe some of the Accords are coming in with Goodyears. With the blizzard on the way we postponed pick up until Saturday, which we actually were relieved about. The dealer was too as he was going to close early. We had to fill the fridge and get more salt and sand for the driveway, which took all day.

All in all, I think next time I'll just ask you to negotiate for me and not drive myself crazy lol. I'm sure your wife won't mind as my hubby surely won't mind. But I'm satisfied and can't wait to pick up the new car this weekend.

Pray we keep power and the snow isn't too bad. We always get clobbered.

Stay warm. Stay dry. And stay safe y'all.

diva

• smachine03smachine03 Member Posts: 4

@lil_owl said:
    smachine03

I have found that most of these SoCal dealerships I have talked to add accessories. Spreen seems to put a 995 propack on everything (wheel locks and trunk tray). Moss honda (Daniel) quoted a price without accessories but then claimed he needed to get car from another dealership that put them on. Art with goudy was fair as well as JD with metro and Amir with Freeway. However none were as inexpensive as Spreen (so far....well one was but when I showed up they wouldn't honor their email quote....so avoid Sierra if you can).

Thanks for the heads up. I guess trying to get the $26,238 price in socal without accessories will be near impossible. But Spreen is the lowest even with the accessories. Corona Honda price was $28,200 with security and propack which makes it tougher for me to bit the bullet since it brings price closer the Mercedes CLA250 at $32,500 which I was cross shopping between.

edited January 2014

Thanks, Gman, Blue and Diva.

@DIva, it's just as well that you aren't picking up the car until Saturday. Your husband probably wouldn't want to drive it anyway with the snow, so like mine, it would just sit there in the garage. This way you will have something to look forward to this weekend.

After you mentioned the Michelin/Goodyear issue, that was the first thing I looked at when I went to pick up the car yesterday. LOL We have another, older Accord V6 and that came with Michelins (which I have since replaced). I don't know if it would matter to me one way or another, but fortunately it wasn't an issue because the new car had Michelin tires also.

@bluemkn57cars, this may sound strange, but I'm no longer sure if flex cash was included (there were no other incentives). I had assumed it was, but things got confused. I was very specific what I wanted in a quote, but when I received the initial number nothing was broken down. I then made my target offer and at that time I said I would finance and my target figure included flex cash. Based on my research of the market and other quotes I was getting, I honestly didn't care whether they were using flex cash or not as long as they found some way to get to my number.

The negotiations got a little crazy, especially toward the end when I was switching from the non-NAV to a NAV model. Over the course of the deal I wound up dealing with 3 different people from internet to sales and I believe there were a couple of managers involved. After the negotiation was essentially over I was asked if I was financing or paying cash, almost as an afterthought. And when I went to see the finance manager when picking up the car and mentioned something about the flex cash helping them out with the deal, he said that there was no flex cash involved as that was only available for leases (obviously not true, unless there was something specific to that dealership and how they chose to use the money). Although I would typically make sure all of this was very carefully spelled out, under the circumstances I was happy with the result and just didn't think it mattered (there was no way they were going to give me another $500 :-)).

I hope the storm is kind to all who are due to get hit tonight.

@nyccarguy
    The Maryland dealers I spoke with did charge 790 destination and 200 doc fee, but still their out-the-door price was 1500-3000 below what I could get in the other areas I searched (VA, GA).

edited January 2014

carbuyer209,

The one guy i worried about the most getting a decent deal....... pulled off what i call a Monster deal. You should be very proud of yourself. Those numbers are epic.. like i preach buying on that last day if you have the balls will reap major dividends for some. you found that one dealership willing or needed that sale...............Just to correct your post its............ 2073 - 75 doc's

New Rochelle or Huntington?????

Hey carbuyer...... looking to buy a Toyota Corrola any suggestions or tips for me....LOL

Enjoy that V-6...................... you will love it

• ha14ha14 Member Posts: 3

Without reading your discussion, I could not have purchased my LX close to 1300 below invoice in NJ. Thanks, everyone!

• mclarenhondamclarenhonda Member Posts: 2

I've been lurking for the last month and finally bought an Accord Sport for 23900 OTD from Hardin Honda. I got the color I wanted and no accessories installed.

Invoice: 23225

Sales price: 21791.53

Doc fee: 80

B.S. electronic vehicle reg fee: 29

TTL: 1999.47

I got 1400+ below invoice. My target price was to get below 24k. I'm not sure if I could have squeezed a few extra hundred as they wanted to meet their sales goal. I was told flex cash was N/A but didn't press the issue with Finance. As a first time car buyer, how did I do?

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice.

anything past $1,000 under invoice is an excellent deal. That basically eats up holdback and flex cash, meaning that they are now probably only making a few dollars directly on the car, and are actually losing money on a per unit basis after advertising, etc... You have forced them to rely on their sales incentives to make money, which is a great accomplishment as a consumer. $1500 below is already home run territory, when they are certainly losing money on the car before their sales incentives.

• ustaad9ustaad9 Member Posts: 7

Finally pulled the trigger on 2014 Accord EX 4 cyl. OTD $24,900. Dealer installed accessories are 1) Vinyl Pin-Stripe 2)Door Edge Guards 3) Wheel moldings 4)Wheel locks 5) Security Etch. Sales Tax 7%, Doc. fee $359. Production date 12/2013. Thank you @brian125, @veers and others for a very informative discussion. My special thanks to @bethpa for alerting me to the Honda Dealer Incentive. Took delivery on 31st and rang in the new year.

@ ustaad9
    Congrats on your purchase.

To help others, could you list the sale price of the car not including any accessories?
    Where did you purchase the car?

Base price = $22644. Dealership is DCH Group

Clarification on my above post. Base price of $22644 includes dealer installed accessories. I have no idea of the value but estimate at no more than $144. Dealer sticker total for all accessories was $1107!