Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Start and Stall Problems

rts6rts6 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Nissan
Ok I do not think this is transmisson problem Last Friday while driving around 35mph my 09 rogue stalled without warning, tried to restart at least 10 times car would start for about 3 seconds and stall again. Had it towed to Nissan dealer where they did not look at until Monday, of course it ran fine and had no codes stored so was returned to me. With no explaintion of why it happened. Of course I think it is sure to happen again, has any one else had this problem 2009 SL FWD

Comments

• jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
    anything come of this??
  • rts6rts6 Member Posts: 3
    nothing yet, has not happened again
  • briamthemanbriamtheman Member Posts: 2
    Check this out - sounds like same problem but the Rogue isn't listed.
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/nissan-recalling-747000-cars-in-the-u- -s/
  • dpesdpes Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2010 nissan rouge in nov 09 and since then i have had trouble with it starting. i crank the ignition but nothing happens beside the lights in the dashboard turn on. this went on until june of 2010. It seemed that the service dept was finally able to fix it by replacing several parts that pertained to the ignition. Everything was fine until today i turned on the truck and it turned on and immediatly turned off i cranked the ignition again and nothing happend except the lights on dash cranked again and it turned on unfortunatly its the weekend and service dept is closed will have to wait till monday.And everytime i take it to the dealer they say no codes come up. I am so frustrated you dont think to have these problems when you buy a new car. I will never get another nissan in my life and will never recommend them to anyone.
  • rachelbeth12rachelbeth12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Nissan Rogue 360, a few months after purchasing my vehicle it started having issues with it not cranking. The dealership never found anything wrong since there was no error code. Now that my vehicle has 62,000 miles on it, it has started missing while driving on the interstate and will lose speed while driving. While this is happening the RPM guage (tackometer) is jumping around like crazy. I'm bringing it to the dealership this week, hopefully they can discover what is wrong with it.
  • clos2clos2 Member Posts: 1
    Rachel, did anything come of this? We got a Rogue on 10/2013 and just started having the same problem. Our looses speed and makes a hissing sound too. It has turned off once so far. This seems to happen only on trips of 30 minutes or longer though. Running around town is no problem. It seems that the A/C aggravates the problem. This started about 8 months after we bought it. Sometime the engine stays on but the gas pedal will not accelerate at all. The couple of times this has happened I pull over, wait about 5 minutes and I'm on my way. Would like to know if anyone has had this issue resolved??
  • wlt3wlt3 Member Posts: 5
    I've had this problem as well. Its very intermitent, and the car does eventually start when it wants to. This is certainly the quirkest car I have ever owned.
  • nissan_tech1nissan_tech1 Member Posts: 16

its the ipdm, there is a fuel pump relay in the ipdm that can not b accessed...if it sticks u will prolly have 3v at the fuel pump fuse as the problem is happening or no voltage at all. Replace the IPDM(independent power distribution module) and ur having no more problems.

• nissanbamanissanbama Member Posts: 1
    Nissan Rogue 2013, battery kept dying; so after place a new in..it won't say a word.. Dashboard lights came on and then ii had to have several jump offs...It keep cutoff when I stop or slow down; we could only jumpoff on the bolt so he thought a bad positive charge cable end; then we notice the fuse from the battery to the cable was blew
  • timothy65timothy65 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, it's 2017 and this problem still hasn't been addressed! I bought a 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD. The first time it stalled was 2 months ago. It starts knee jerking on it's own like the engine is starved for air. I press the accelerator and it decelerates and holds a slow speed like something is choking the engine. I could let it slowly get up to speed by any quick acceleration attempts and it chocks. I went home and the next morning no symptoms. It just happened again last night so I came home. Taking it in for service if it happens again. Not sure of the cause.
  • davidbradleydavidbradley Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    WE HAVE A 2011 ROGUE. JUST RECENTLY IT STARTED THIS THING WHEN DRIVING AT NORMAL SPEEDS, IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS TURNING THE IGNITION OFF AND ON REALLY FAST. NO CODES ARE BEING THROWN OF COURSE. WE ARE BEGINNING TO WONDER IF IT'S A PROBLEM WITH THE REMOTE STARTER WE HAD INSTALLED AT THE NISSAN DEALER BY A THIRD PARTY. NISSAN CANT DIAGNOSE IT. SOME POSTERS HAVE SUGGESTED IT COULD BE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR. THERE ARE TWO AND THEY ARE 150$ EACH. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED
  • bursin5bursin5 Member Posts: 3
    Did any of you guys figure out what the problem is with ur Rogues that have been stalling???
    I have a 2013 Rogue and lately after I've been driving it for a while sometimes when I come up to a red light and then I want to start again I accelerate slowly and it starts jerking like popping then I have to press down on the gas pedal for it to go. Also when I've been driving it a while and sometimes uphill I'll press the gas the RPM revs up but the speed will not go up and it'll actually decelerate. And I'm about 3 days ago what's happening now is after I've been driving it a while for example go to a gas station turn it off and then when I come to turn it back on again it'll crank and crank and crank with the lights on and everything but it will not start. Only when I wait for about half an hour then it'll start up again. Does anyone know what's going on if you guys had these problems what are the issues what are the fixes please help
  • donavanrgdonavanrg Member Posts: 1

WE HAVE A 2011 ROGUE. JUST RECENTLY IT STARTED THIS THING WHEN DRIVING AT NORMAL SPEEDS, IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS TURNING THE IGNITION OFF AND ON REALLY FAST. NO CODES ARE BEING THROWN OF COURSE. WE ARE BEGINNING TO WONDER IF IT'S A PROBLEM WITH THE REMOTE STARTER WE HAD INSTALLED AT THE NISSAN DEALER BY A THIRD PARTY. NISSAN CANT DIAGNOSE IT. SOME POSTERS HAVE SUGGESTED IT COULD BE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR. THERE ARE TWO AND THEY ARE 150$ EACH. WILL KEEP YOU POSTED

im having the same issue with a 2011 rogue; the remote starter was installed by the dealer also. DId you ever resolve this issue? did the sensors help?

• cassadiecassadie Member Posts: 1
    bursin5 said:
    Did any of you guys figure out what the problem is with ur Rogues that have been stalling???
    I have a 2013 Rogue and lately after I've been driving it for a while sometimes when I come up to a red light and then I want to start again I accelerate slowly and it starts jerking like popping then I have to press down on the gas pedal for it to go. Also when I've been driving it a while and sometimes uphill I'll press the gas the RPM revs up but the speed will not go up and it'll actually decelerate. And I'm about 3 days ago what's happening now is after I've been driving it a while for example go to a gas station turn it off and then when I come to turn it back on again it'll crank and crank and crank with the lights on and everything but it will not start. Only when I wait for about half an hour then it'll start up again. Does anyone know what's going on if you guys had these problems what are the issues what are the fixes please help
    Did anyone get an answer or resolution to this? I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue SV Front Weel Drive. I have these same issues. I don’t have remote start. I’ve kept all my service appointments and at mine two weeks ago at the dealership they told me that nothing is wrong. Something is wrong and this thing is going to leave me on the side of the road. 
  • JessieJessie Member Posts: 1
    we had the same problem..it quit so many times...We finally replaced the brake light switch and the alternator and it has never happened since...works like a charm..I think it was a faulty alternator right from the start
  • AsphaltDudeAsphaltDude Member Posts: 2
    Mine is a 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD. At about 60k miles, the transmission heated and caused 55 mph to be maximum speed. It happened after sitting outside on a hot sunny day. Going uphill at 75 mpg, it dropped down to 55 mph maximum pedal. A transmission cooler fixed the problem.

Today with 115k, it got the 2nd problem. It stalled at about 35 mph. After pulling to shoulder, it fully died. Cranking was like it was not getting enough gas. Cranking after waiting 5, 10, 15 minutes and more, it acted like no gas was getting to it. It is at a garage now.
  • AsphaltDudeAsphaltDude Member Posts: 2
    One problem that I had with my 2010 Nissan Rogue a year or two ago was that the gear shifter locked. For two days, I lifted the slot by the gear shifter, and pressed down on the slot opening with my pocket knife. I was then able to shift. A key or standard screwdriver works for depressing the slot as well, Two days later, it no longer had this issue.
  • JesseymcJesseymc Member Posts: 1
    Same stall problem on my 2015 nissan rogue! No recall?
  • Nickb1987Nickb1987 Member Posts: 1
    Been having issues with stalling myself. Has anyone had anything come of it. Just took mine to a shop today. It’ll start and idle but it won’t run in gear.
  • Roguerogue82Roguerogue82 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 nissan rogue. Car seemed to run fine. No CEL or anything like that. Stopped to get gas and it never started back up. Great crank but engine would not turn over. Tried everything. Fuel pump, spark plugs, crankshaft position sensor...you name it. Even relays and fuses were checked. The problem was the ECM was shot. Dont know why and dont know how. Just know it cost me about $900 to have a knew one installed and programmed. And that's a little over half of what the Nissan dealership was going to charge me. Fast forward one year and 8 months later and it did the exact same thing. Think we're screwed with these ones guys.
  • MEDIC4418MEDIC4418 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Rogue 2012 SL AWD, it stalled in the highway at 55 mph, I was able to pull to shoulder and it would not start. After a couple of hours it started, when we started driving it was jerking like it was running out of gas but i had 3/4 of tank just filled it up two days before. It did it today again had the car towed and again will not start until an hour had passed. Now it starts and run normal. Scared to drive because it just shuts off and lose steering and braking.