Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site. I wish to extend many thanks to Kirstie, Karen, and Imidazol97 for their assistance during the last few days. There was a glitch with my recent new email address, but all should be well now. I'll post more a little later. I want to see if this post works first.

Richard

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@sterlingdog

Happy New Year to you as well Richard!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@sterlingdog said:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site. I wish to extend many thanks to Kirstie, Karen, and Imidazol97 for their assistance during the last few days. There was a glitch with my recent new email address, but all should be well now. I'll post more a little later. I want to see if this post works first.

It works just fine. Glad to see you're here.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@sterlingdog said:

Happy New Year to you and your family as well, Richard. Yes, this new site has some getting used to in order to have it function the way it was intended to function. The site works better with my PC than it does with my Iphone, but I'm only on my PC once a day, so I have to improvise a bit when I log on with the Iphone.

2021 Genesis G90

@bwia said:
    Yes indeed, MB had a strong fourth quarter. Here are the sales data for the E-Class and the entire auto industry.

I would imagine that the strong E Class sales figures are what made the difference for Daimler Benz last year along with the new CLA - as compared with sales figures for the BMW 5 Series. Mercedes seems to be more aggressive than BMW with their dealer incentives - which makes a big difference.

For the 4th quarter of 2013, BMW had a $2000 incentive on most of its vehicles while Mercedes provided $5000 for the E Class, $3000 for the CLS Class, up to $10,000 on its 2013 S Class (to reduce inventories for the unveiling of the new 2014 S Class). That aggressiveness paid off for them big time, obviously.

2021 Genesis G90

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@sterlingdog said:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site.

Oh, yay! You made it! Really glad, because our next step in the troubleshooting process involved asking you to do some clearing of cookies & cache on your end, and I know how you love technical stuffs. :)

@snakeweasel - just noticed your new signature line. Love it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

"...only salespeople have keys..."

I'm probably thinking more used car lots than new. Having said that I did go browsing new car lots when they were closed on Sunday to get a "feel" of different new cars, something you can't do online. I was sure someone would call the cops as I wandered different dealerships but no one did.

Makes you wonder how much longer that will be possible in today's world where gangs steal wheels right off the cars in full view of the street and saw off the cat for the precious metal.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

"...clearing of cookies..."

I finally figured out how to do that and it seems to have helped. The little Toyota ad that was obscuring posts is gone now. I was getting worried that my IPad was funky. Pop ups were taking over. There was even a small Hyundai ad sideways on the right margin on top of the VW ad.

There are probably parts of this new system I'll never master but at least I can post now without throwing furniture.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

@bwia said:
    MB had a strong fourth quarter. Here are the sales data for the E-Class and the entire auto industry

Thanks for the link. I think the real surprise was the improvement in Cadillac. Although, the MB figures were impressive in their contest with BMW, (not to put a damper on the party), the real test maybe who made the larger profit. If you increase incentives, and you sell lots of low price (lower profit) cars, then you may actually lose out on the more important and meaningful contest....actual profit.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@sterlingdog said:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

Nice to have you back sterlingdog,....er....Richard! Happy New year to you too....better late than never.

SHOPPING FOR A CAR USED TO BE A FUN UNDERTAKING...

When I was a young man (18+ years old) I remember shopping for a new car was an exciting adventure. My first new car was a dark green RAMBLER AMERICAN 2 door sedan. I went to the dealership with my Dad and we drove a few cars. We decided on the Rambler American (AMC) because it was cheap ($1825) and my Dad liked it because it had a whopping 90 hp UNIVERSAL engine (flat top 6 - same engine they put in Checker Cabs (this was 1964). It had automatic and a heater (heaters were optional believe it or not) and that was it. I remember Dad trying to drop the price - but no way - the sticker price was the price - period. What they used to do was throw a set of mats in it and bumper guards to make the deal. Negotiating the price was not an option .

For graduation from college, Dad said I should look for a new car - he sent me out to his friend's Olds/Chevy dealer way out on Long Island. I picked out a Chevrolet Impala SS with a 409 cu in engine. But before the car could be ordered, GM went out on strike. I had to wait go 4 months until the car was built. Those cars were so hot (in demand) that they rarely discounted them. Dad was able to buy it for $1000 off list - considered a great deal at the time.

But looking at a new car and then ordering what you wanted was the standard practice. Dealerships did not stock hundreds of new cars back then - it only took 3 weeks to special order one and take delivery. I think that was the most enjoyable part - anxiously awaiting the car to be delivered.

Nowadays, dealers stock hundreds of new cars - and deal on those in inventory much better than one that must be ordered or dealer traded. We tend to "settle more" for a different color, more options than we wanted, or fewer options than we wanted. Ordering a car is almost unheard of when back in the 1950-1970, cars were usually ordered to get exactly what you wanted. Anticipation - waiting for your new car to be built and shipped - is almost gone. There's always a car in transit, at the port, at another dealer or on the lot that you can "settle for"! Things have sure changed, haven't they?

2021 Genesis G90

@driver100...If you increase incentives, and you sell lots of low price (lower profit) cars, then you may actually lose out on the more important and meaningful contest....actual profit.

That should be the case, driver, however MB came out with the new S Class Sedan in September - they were selling every one they could produce at full MSRP - and still are. Dealers have no availability of that car and most customers are on waiting lists for their car to be built. Additionally, the new CLA is also bringing in close to MSRP money.

When you average things out, Daimler Benz is probably ahead of 2012 on terms of profit. I belong to the MB Club of America and receive a monthly newsletter as well as a beautiful magazine every 2 months. According to those reports, profits are up.

2021 Genesis G90

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@abacomike

It is a shame too. Buying a car used to be such a romantic thing. Pick out the exact car, exterior color with interior color combination, engine, transmission, options. Have your money saved up and ready to go, then the anticipation of its arrival. To me, the coolest thing was the availability of multiple V8 engines.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

@nyccarguy said:

. . . Have your money saved up and ready to go, then the anticipation of its arrival. To me, the coolest thing was the availability of multiple V8 engines.

That was then, and this is now. The EPA has created a system that minimizes the number of drive trains, since each and every one of them has to be tested to a fare-thee-well, at huge expense.

Goes a long way towards explaining why manual transmission and diesel options that are all over the place in Europe and the rest of the world, but can't be bought for any amount of money in North America.

Oh boy.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

@sterlingdog said:

Richard

Happy New year to you too.

It’s nice to see that you are back with dues fully paid up so that you can post again. Your poster buddy (‘houdini’) was concerned about you making bail. Since you can post from the slammer as long as your dues are paid, we still don’t know your whereabouts and if you actually made bail, so let us know the ‘rest of the story’. :s

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@Kirstie@Edmunds said:
    snakeweasel - just noticed your new signature line. Love it.

Glad you like it, but it will get old fast so I have to think up something new. ;)

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

@oldfarmer50 said:
    The little Toyota ad that was obscuring posts is gone now. I was getting worried that my IPad was funky. Pop ups were taking over. There was even a small Hyundai ad sideways on the right margin on top of the VW ad.

Sounds like you had some type of adware, they can be in a form of a cookie or could very well be a program that gets installed on your computer. They are pretty easy to get rid of and you can find instructions on the internet. Usually just by clearing out your cookies. Make sure your browser settings doesn't allow third party cookies.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

@cdnpinhead...

That was then, and this is now.

I agree - on most new cars, you get a choice of 1 V8 engine (if available on a V8) a couple of inline or V6 power plants, and lately, a 4 cylinder option.

When I got my Chevy SS Impala, you could opt for the standard 283 cu on V8, or the 327, 409, and then the 496. Buick used to offer their standard V8 along with a 455 option.

Not any more - engine choices are very limited now for most cars.

2021 Genesis G90

@jmonroe said:

[Richard], It’s nice to see that you are back with dues fully paid up so that you can post again.

I keep encouraging Richard and everyone to buy the lifetime membership to Edmunds, so that they won't have to worry about their annual membership lapsing and getting it paid up before posting again. :grin

@imidazol97 said:
    They won't give me a lifetime membership because I use the tech warranty too often. In fact, they are going up on my dues for 2014!

Richard

See how I am? I couldn't get imidazol's quote to go at the top of my previous post! I am so in needof help. :'(

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

@abacomike said:
    WHEN LAND IS EXPENSIVE AND LIMITED IN AVAILABILITY!

We have a dealership conglamorate in the western suburbs of Broward County that owns several dealerships within a 2 mile radius - Rick Case Honda, Volkswagen, Hyuandi, Kia, Volvo, and a few others. Since real estate has become so expensive, he has been building his dealerships vertically on lower acreage parcels. His average dealership has 8 floors of new cars - a different model on each floor. He also doubles the new car warranty and provides his customers with discounted gasoline - usually 20 cents per gallon lower than the average for the area.

His approach has been very unique and he and his wife own dealerships throughout the State and in Georgia, as well. His company (Rick Cae) has received a multitude of awards from various associations.

I've visited a few of his dealerships - they are kept impeccably spotless; he won't let a salesman on his floor without first going through 4 weeks of company paid training. After training, they become apprentices and are mentored. People I know have purchased cars from his dealerships and are completely satisfied with the treatment they received and their outstanding service.

It is obvious that his unique approach to selling cars and maintaining a well trained sales force is paying off for him. And the fact that his inventories are housed in 8 story buildings keeps his new cars fresh and out of harms way.

His closest dealership is about 15 miles away so many potential customers would be unable to take advantage of his services like cheap gas. But his location is in Weston and Pembroke Pines - the fastest growing area in Broward County.

Very impressive organization and his modis operendi is extremely effective.

Was at his VW and Hyundai store a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed one bit actually. I even met the owner and did enjoy having the vehicles sheltered from the elements. Other than that, I was not impressed one bit and so glad I bought right across the street. I think I did much better price wise though I must admit, there were plenty of people there the day I went. But to be fair, the day I bought my Tuscon, my Hyundai store was quite busy also with customers all over the place. The economy is getting better!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@sterlingdog....
    See how I am? I couldn't get imidazol's quote to go at the top of my previous post! I am so in needof help.

Richard - aren't we all in need of help here?

If you want to respond to a post, at the bottom of each post you will see a (") quotation mark. Click on the quotation mark and then post your response. See how that works for you.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511

one thing about using the quotes (yes, this is for Sandy...). When you hit quote and it gets put into your new post, the quote follows the ">" sign. When you want to type your own comments, make sure to go to the bottom of the quote, and start typing on a line without the > at the beginning. otherwise you just add to what is in the quote box.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@sterlingdog said:
    See how I am? I couldn't get imidazol's quote to go at the top of my previous post! I am so in need of help. :'(

After you've posted, roll your cursor over the post on the forum. You'll see a little gear in the upper right corner. Put your mouse on that and you'll see a little window drop down that says you can edit for 4 hours. Use the cursor to pick the 4-hours, and then you can edit your post.

The > symbol still makes words show up in a quote color box. Leave a blank line between a quote and your new words or else your words get included in the quote color box.

"For graduation from college, Dad said I should look for a new car"

funny, my dad said I should look for a job...

@sandman...
    Other than that, I was not impressed one bit and so glad I bought right across the street.

Each to his/her own, sandman. As I mentioned in my post, I know lots of people who have bought from Rick Case's dealerships and each one of them were extremely happy.

He just opened his new VW DEALERSHIP in December and, from the article in today's Sun Sentinnel, he sold more VW's that first month in business than any other VW dealership on the country. I guess close to 400 buyers last month thought much better of his dealership than did you.

But that's life I guess - one man's food is another man'a poison.

Two of my neighbors bought their Hyundai cars at Rick Case after some very bad experiences at the dealership you bought yours from.

What goes around comes around, to be sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

Whatever, I don't put much stock in heresay to be honest with ya...and the number could've been 4000 for all I care! I went and saw for myself and again, I wasn't impressed...the folks you know were...bully for them!
    I bought where I felt the most comfortable and since we had bought there before, decided to give them my business. We had also gone to a Rick Case dealership years ago but got a better deal up in north Broward. And one last thing...opinions are like rectums...everyone has one!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@sandman
    Whatever, I don't put much stock in heresay to be honest with ya...and the number could've been 4000 for all I care!

Sandy, the business section of the Sun Sentinnel IS NOT HERESAY - FACTS ARE FACTS, SALES STATISTICS ARE SALES STATISTICS.

Please do not put me down or call me a LIAR. I don't lie!!!!

GET IT!

2021 Genesis G90

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855

I just saw the new Edmunds commercial on TV. It's a guy with a car for his head that talks thru his grill saying about price guarantees.

Also, the cold snap finally got here to Virginia. Yesterday was 47 and now it's -4. On top of that we lost power for 4 hours. Fortunately we have a whole house automatic generator. A few surrounding counties have been without power for close to 6 hours. Not good with temps below zero.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

@jmonroe said:
    Your poster buddy (‘houdini’) was concerned about you making bail.

I still think he's back because all the charges were dropped. This not being able to log on is just a cover-up.

@imidazol97 said:
    The > symbol still makes words show up in a quote color box. Leave a blank line between a quote and your new words or else your words get included in the quote color box.

This is a test to see if I can follow your directions correctly. I rolled over my new words as you instructed. They highlighted in blue, but I did not see the gear box in the right hand corner that you mentioned in order to edit. Let's see if I can at least get the quote and the new post separated.

Richard

Well, at least I can now separate the quotes from the new posts. I just need a little more help on how to edit.

I received three strange emails from Edmunds yesterday. One congratulated me on reaching the mile mark of 5,000 posts. Not correct because I have over 6,000 posts just on this site alone. Second, I was congratulated for reaching the two year membership mark. Not correct because I have been here since 2007. The third one congratulated me for using a poster's name in my post. That certainly seems odd. They said that I earned a +5 points for stimulating discussion. I also got points for the number of posts and the number of years of membership. I wonder if all of these earned points will go toward paying my membership dues. :D

Richard

I'll try to get an example.

edited January 2014

He> @imidazol97 said:

I'll try to get an example.

I believe now the gear is only visible during the 4-hour edit window time.
    Here's a picture. Click on the small picture I got with Attach a File. It will open full size.

@sterlingdog said:

Well, at least I can now separate the quotes from the new posts. I just need a little more help on how to edit.

I think you got it! It takes some playing around with to separate the blue quote from your new post. Just leave a space and it seems to work. Also, good to shorten the post you are replying to.

I think imid means the cog wheel is in the upper right corner after you have posted, in case you want to edit your post....you have up to 4 hours.

Next we'll work on getting you to post some images..................

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,080

@mako1a said:
    I just saw the new Edmunds commercial on TV. It's a guy with a car for his head that talks thru his grill saying about price guarantees.

Man, that is a sorry excuse for a commercial. Just bizarre. Did you notice the windshield wipers? I guess they are supposed to be like eyebrows, because they move as he talks, but just a little bit. I hope they aren't supposed to be doing a full sweep.

If you have a long memory, you might remember seeing ads for Unisys, the computer company, back in the late '90s, that had a similar concept, except those people had computer monitors for heads. Equally bad commercials too.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Richard those emails are from notifications you have set. If you click on your profile ( the picture) one of the options is notifications. Click on that and it gives you a list you can turn on and off

The messages are a bit funky because it seems like all the history did not transfer over

We talked about people who go for test drives with no intention of buying. Or people who cash in a coupon to take a test drive but don't have any intention of buying a car in the forseesable future.

My wife belongs to a Curves fitness club nearby. They have a special offer right now, one month for free. It seems to be a great promotion as they are getting lots of new people to give the club a try. My wife was talking to a group of 8 that come from the same complex, they all come together. Most of them enjoy the program and are going to become members. A few are thinking about it. One woman said, "She'll keep coming while it is free, but she won't be joining if she has to pay for it". What do you think about that?

@ab348 said: a commercial. Just bizarre.

(Mako said) Edmunds commercial on TV. It's a guy with a car for his head that talks thru his grill saying about price guarantees.

If you think that is creepy have you seen the ad for Old Spice shown during the snow-bowl game on Sunday.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/01/old-spices-creepy-moms-ad-wins-the-web.html

The good thing about the Edmunds ad is that it makes a clear concise statement - it is an easy way to make sure you get a great price on a new car. Personally, I would be more impressed with an honest looking businessman sitting at the desk, but, I think younger people need something really different to get their attention.

I think it is fine. The club invited her. And like with cars they know a lot of people will just do the freebie but some (like your lady) in the end will buy anyway. For car dealers once you are in the door anything can happen.

I use those test drive coupons when I get them. But if I really have no immediate interest I at least go in when it is slow. And even if I am not buying I do get asked for advice quite often.

@driver100 said:
    We talked about people who go for test drives with no intention of buying. Or people who cash in a coupon to take a test drive but don't have any intention of buying a car in the forseesable future.

...One woman said, "She'll keep coming while it is free, but she won't be joining if she has to pay for it". What do you think about that?

That's 1 out of 8 in her group who are trying to take advantage of anything/everything she can, so long as it's free. I would think that percentage of 12.5 % could be about what the population of the US/Canada might be inclined to do - take advantage of what you can!

I received an invitation from the Casino last week inviting me to a "party" for jackpot winners (I won one last month so they gave me a coupon to attend for a drawing of a new car and guaranteed $500 in free play) which took place last night. I refused to go because it seems that whenever they give something away around here, droves of people (usually the retired set) attend and make it impossible to navigate anywhere around where the "give-away" is taking place.

Also, I have been invited to go to the Casino on Thursday night at 7:00 - 8:00 PM to receive a free Mont Blanc pen of my choice - which they will engrave with my name and mail to my house. So I called my Slot Host and she said she will make reservations for dinner at NYY Steak House for 6:00 PM and then accompany me over to the lounge to pick out my pen. So, for that, I decided I will participate since I have more than paid for that pen (probably worth around $250-$350) considering my losses in the slots last year.

So, I guess I am one of those 12.5% of the population, depending upon what is being given away, where, when, and who was invited. I was assured it was for only their "Elite" customers - so that probably won't be overcrowded.

Now, as for what I think of people who do what your spouse's 1 in 8 do (use the facilities so long as they are free), to each their own - whatever turns them on so long as they are not hurting anyone else.

2021 Genesis G90

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@driver100 said:
    We talked about people who go for test drives with no intention of buying. Or people who cash in a coupon to take a test drive but don't have any intention of buying a car in the forseesable future....One woman said, "She'll keep coming while it is free, but she won't be joining if she has to pay for it". What do you think about that?

IMHO, the difference there is that the mooch coming into Curves isn't taking up 100% of the time of a person earning a commission on sales. The former is using equipment, in a group class, et al of someone probably on an hourly wage.

@sterlingdog said:

I received three strange emails from Edmunds yesterday...

Same thing here, Richard. They show that I have been a member since October, 2013 - we all know I have been posting on this site since January, 2011, but...what can I say or do? Nothing. As for the number of my posts, I never really kept track, but I am sure it's been way more than 2600, which they show.

So, I guess there are some glitches here and there which I am sure both of us can live with - right? By the way, it's great to have you back posting again. I missed your wisdom and jmonroe's counter-punches.

2021 Genesis G90

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

@abacomike said:
    I have been invited to go to the Casino on Thursday night at 7:00 - 8:00 PM to receive a free Mont Blanc pen of my choice - which they will engrave with my name and mail to my house. So I called my Slot Host and she said she will make reservations for dinner at NYY Steak House for 6:00 PM and then accompany me over to the lounge to pick out my pen.

Wow, you're a fast eater, Mike. I'm pretty slow..especially if it's a big meal at a steak house with company. I like to savour every bite.. Good steak tastes good even when it has gone cold..potatoes and broccoli not so much, lol

@crkyolfrt said:

Wow, you're a fast eater, Mike. I'm pretty slow..especially if it's a big meal at a steak house with company. I like to savour every bite.. Good steak tastes good even when it has gone cold..potatoes and broccoli not so much, lol

We eat there about once a week - and from my calculations, it takes about 1-1/2 hours for dinner. That leaves 30 minutes to pick out a pen and play a few machines for 1/2 hour or so.

But I agree, 1 hour it really pushing it. My Dad especially loves their hot "pretzels" with butter that they serve for the bread course. They are salted, but about 1/2 the size of the pretzels you would find in NYC. As for his desert, he loves their Chocolate Layer Cake - he eats about 1/4 of it and takes the rest home with him. I prefer their cheesecake - great restaurant - excellent service - superb steaks - and they comp me besides.

2021 Genesis G90

@driver100 said:
    If you think that is creepy have you seen the ad for Old Spice shown during the snow-bowl game on Sunday.

Yes, I caught it partway through. Just atrocious. I hate all the Old spice ads fromt he last few years. I know they get a lot of attention and some people think they're great, but I intensely dislike them.

@robr2 said:
    IMHO, the difference there is that the mooch coming into Curves isn't taking up 100% of the time of a person earning a commission on sales. The former is using equipment, in a group class, et al of someone probably on an hourly wage.

Since the fitness industry is based largely on selling people annual memberships, knowing that perhaps 80% of them will abandon it after 2-3 months, I have no problem with people taking advantage of anything free they put out there. The fitness biz strikes me as borderline ethical at best.

edited January 2014

@crkyolfrt said:

I will say though that if I must be saddled with hole in a perfectly good roof, I'd prefer it to be metal instead of tempered glass that raises insurance premiums and worse..will sometimes just pop without provocation..

Funny you/we should be talking about sun/moon roofs last week. This morning, the sun was out, but it was 50 degrees with 35 mph winds from the north. Kind of cool for us (to be honest, I was freezing when I walked to the car this morning). Dad and I drove to my dealer for a car wash and then we went for lunch at Boca Town Center for our Chick-Fil-A "fix". On the way home, the temperature went up to 60 degrees (our high for the day), I decided to open the "sun roof". It was the first time I had opened a sun roof here in Florida in many years. It was delightful. I should do that more often - made for a pleasant drive home.

2021 Genesis G90

@ab348 said:
    Since the fitness industry is based largely on selling people annual memberships, knowing that perhaps 80% of them will abandon it after 2-3 months, I have no problem with people taking advantage of anything free they put out there. The fitness biz strikes me as borderline ethical at best.

My son is a Personal Trainer in La Quinta, CA, and works for a gym that has franchises throughout the country. One of his major problems is that even though he is excellent at what he does, when he signs a client up for a membership, he gets almost nothing in return. It's the franchise owner that gets most of the revenue/money. So, it isn't necessarily the Personal Trainers (salespeople in a fitness setting) that make the money, it's his/her manager/owner that makes out.

Whether a client continues his/her membership or not is solely dependent upon the quality of the services he/she receives from their personal trainer, not the facilities of the fitness center. Yet, he can be penalized if a client does not renew - penalized a lot more than he would have earned if he resigned them.

So, I would have to agree with your assessment ab348!

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.