Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• khanhlekhanhle Member Posts: 5
    Oh, and btw, when I mean OTD it literally means OTD ( Freight charge, dealer processing fee, tax, tags included) :)
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    What is the actual selling price including destination fee and dealer doc fee? An out the door price doesn't help folks who aren't buying a car where you are - the mandated TTL fees differ by location.

Thanks, Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    Sale Price: 16400
    Destination: 790
    Processing fee: 485
    4% Virginia Sale Tax: 707
    +fees etc....

=18500 :)

I didn't care much about the selling price. I dealt straight up with the dealer for an OTD price :).
    I think this time of the year you can strike a lot of good deals.
    That's about 2400 below invoice - killer deal - what dealer?
  • sting23raysting23ray Member Posts: 7
    @khanhle --- Can you please tell me the dealer and the sales rep you dealt with ? Thats a darn good price for an EX....
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    When I bought my Civic, the finance manager told me I'd have to buy new, not used like I had planned, because I had less than perfect credit. His reasoning was the banks view used cars as a bigger risk because they are worth less. So I got an LX sedan, new.

On one hand this seems counter intuitive, but on the other I can kind of see the point. Is this true re new cars and credit? Or did I get hustled? Thanks.
    That's Bill Page Honda in Falls Church, VA. Koons Honda gave me a good deal too, it was 16700, but I went with the lowest one.. :D
  • harivemulaharivemula Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Honda Civic 2013 LX out the door price is 17047.00. I had to take the Honda finance to get this price. I opted for Auto Dimming Mirror which brought me to 17340.00. Dealer name is Honda Tysons Corner, Mclean, VA.

15033 (Base Price)
    790 (Destination Charges)
    351 (Auto Dimmer)
    + Virginia Sales Tax + Processing Fees (499) + Tags and Title cost = 17340.00.

There are lot of dealers who don't give you this price as they show that they are loosing money on this deal. But this is 2013 model not the 2014. Denied all the options what dealer provided. Not sure its the best price. I had to call 12 dealers around the location one dealer gave the buyers order form. I used that to negotiate again with all the dealers. Nobody agreed to give this price except Honda Tysons.
  • vmsivmsi Member Posts: 5

HI bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi -4DR Sedan OTD: Price of $22,000.00

@shrini said:
    Went to the dealer who quoted me $17,604.63. Test-drove 3 Civic cars, and found a distinct stalling in all of them when they were going from 40mph to 50mph. This stalling was different from the one we feel when a gear automatically shifts.

The dealer told me that this was a problem in Civic 2012 which was addressed in 2013, but I could still feel that problem in 2013.

Has anybody else found a similar problem in Civic 2013 sedan auto?

HI bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

Do think it is Good deal ?

Hi bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1400.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,000.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

Do you think it is a Good price ?

@shrini said:
    Went to the dealer who quoted me $17,604.63. Test-drove 3 Civic cars, and found a distinct stalling in all of them when they were going from 40mph to 50mph. This stalling was different from the one we feel when a gear automatically shifts.

The dealer told me that this was a problem in Civic 2012 which was addressed in 2013, but I could still feel that problem in 2013.

Has anybody else found a similar problem in Civic 2013 sedan auto?

• bear_crotchbear_crotch Member Posts: 1

I live near Youngstown, OH. I've been scouring the tri-state area for a deal such as this and I've had absolutely ZERO luck. I've tried just about every dealership and they won't budge from a selling price of $18,200. Tax and other fees aren't even included. We're nearly in 2014! I know when you buy Honda you buy a name but this is kind of ridiculous. Any input or tips someone can shoot my way?

@ohiogals said:
    Just got a pretty good deal at Performance Honda in Cincinnati Ohio (October)
    $17,000 + 283. (dealer and doc fees) - 1000 rebate if we finance = $16,283.

We didn't need to finance, but we did just enough to get the rebate. I see that some others are getting 1500 rebate, but we did this in late October and I think they are offering more money now. No destination charges or other stuff.

In ohio we pay 6.75 % sales tax in addition but that is not really part of the price as this is out of their control.

We also had a very old trade in, but we negotiated price without the trade in. We had shopped around at other dealers too so we knew the range of trade in value. Might have been able to get another 500 trade in somewhere else, but the rest here was pretty good.

I did it all over the internet (with Jennifer Gladwell) and they had the car ready so we didn't have to wait around. Superior Honda in Cincinnati had about the same deal but we have worked with Performance before so went with them.
    Highly recommend them.

• tqh2013tqh2013 Member Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Dealer here in Southern California is trying to sell me an alarm for Civic EX for $700. What is the difference between the "Security System with Remote Entry" and an alarm. I looked up Honda.com and "Security System with Remote Entry" is standard on EX. The Security System and alarm is the same to me. Not what is the difference and if the dealer is pulling my chains. Any help is appreciated.

@tqh2013 said:
    Hey guys,

Dealer here in Southern California is trying to sell me an alarm for Civic EX for $700. What is the difference between the "Security System with Remote Entry" and an alarm. I looked up Honda.com and "Security System with Remote Entry" is standard on EX. The Security System and alarm is the same to me. Not what is the difference and if the dealer is pulling my chains. Any help is appreciated.

If you do not want an aftermarket alarm, do not buy it - tell the dealer to provide you a unit without an alarm or go to a different dealer. Who is the dealer? Knowing what dealer is doing this will help the rest of us SoCal shoppers.

Thanks, Bill G

• ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159

Just bought a Silver '13 LX Coupe, $13998 + freight + tags + 6%MD tax, etc., OTD is $16181. Big improvement over 2012 in plastic quality.

• s_starks_stark Member Posts: 18

I'm looking to lease and like the civic lx 2013, no dealer add-ons. MSRP was 19,755. Initial deal was a special of 2k down and 159/month (excluding ttl, and I think excl destination?). I am new to leasing so a lot of the numbers are confusing to me, but would love some input.

In the end, they quoted 195 including tax (excluding title, license),

I have a trade in valued at $500
    Would put $500 cash down (though I'd rather not put anything down).
    The money factor was .00011 (I think).
    They discounted the MSRP to 17,600 (something like that);
    Residual Value: around 11,280.
    It's in las vegas, so the sales tax is 8.1%.
    the $500 down would cover first month and 197 left is cap cost reduction (I think that's how they got down to 17,600, but honestly I can't remember all of the numbers, so it could be more than 17,600).

And frankly, I didn't want to put any money down -- I still think they valued my trade too low -- kbb is 1341, edmunds is 1140 (something around there), so I was hoping to get closer to 1000 for it as a trade in and not put any money down. It's a 1997 nissan maxima GLE with 78k miles in ok cosmetic shape, but still runs great and is very low mileage wise -- I just want a nicer car.

Is this a good deal?

I'd like to get it down closer to 180 including tax (I'm from LA and just visiting family in Vegas, so I would register it in LA, and tax there is 9%, though I'd be fine with a paying the difference for LA and having it be a bit over 180). They also told me the money factor is .00065 in LA -- this confused me -- why can't I use the money factor where I lease instead of where I register? Is it because the tax is based on where I live/garage the car? Or...?

Is 165-170 plus ttl doable?

What is a good lease deal at this point?

Thanks!

• tqh2013tqh2013 Member Posts: 2

gmanusmc,

The place i visited was Honda cars of Corona. They also tried to sell me a package with wheel lock, mud-guard, trunk tray for $800. I told them thank you and walked out.

Thanks,

@tqh2013 said:
    gmanusmc,

The place i visited was Honda cars of Corona. They also tried to sell me a package with wheel lock, mud-guard, trunk tray for $800. I told them thank you and walked out.

Thanks,

Good job - don't blame you - those things can be bought for a fraction of that (if you want them, that is)

Bill G

• peter9551peter9551 Member Posts: 2

Anyone in Central NJ area that got a good deal on 2013 Civic LX? Appreciate inputs

• hmmhmm3hmmhmm3 Member Posts: 4

@ck90211 said:
    Just bought a Silver '13 LX Coupe, $13998 + freight + tags + 6%MD tax, etc., OTD is $16181. Big improvement over 2012 in plastic quality.

What dealership?

• kulikarenkulikaren Member Posts: 1

About the extend warranty for new 2013 civic sedan ex-l, anyone know is it worth to buy it? If so, what is the fair price? Thanks !!

• hmmhmm3hmmhmm3 Member Posts: 4

$16.1k seems ridiculously low. One VA dealer I called that I know sold for $17k is refusing to give a quote online or via phone. Is demanding an inperson visit for a quote.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

@hmmhmm3 said:
    $16.1k seems ridiculously low. One VA dealer I called that I know sold for $17k is refusing to give a quote online or via phone. Is demanding an inperson visit for a quote.

Some of the so called "Prices Paid" numbers in forums such as this one can be a bit...well..." enthusiastic" Be aware of that!

• chuckyzchuckyz Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Just bought a 13 Civic Lx sedan here in the Bay Area, CA.

18,300 out the door w/ tax, title, licensing, etc.

Breakdown of the fees include:

• Purchase Price of car (w/ dest) 16,338
    • DMV: 257
    • Document Fee: 80
    • Tire Tax: 8.75
    • Sales Tax 9%

Total: 18300 OTD

This included the dealer-installed options: edge guard film, mud guards, wheel locks, and a aftermarket Karr alarm.

Financed through Honda at 4.5%. Didn't get lowest rate due to credit. But very happy with price.

• veri1veri1 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2014

del

• veri1veri1 Member Posts: 6

Bought 2013 Civic LX for $16500 (OTD) in northern VA yesterday. There was an incentive of $500 for recent college grad. Hope it is a good deal. This forum helped a lot on a target price befoer approaching Dealers.

bought a New 2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi 4DR Sedan for $20,800 -$500 Honda Incentive= $20,300 + Tax $1450.00 +Doc Fee $250.00 +$50.00 Licence Fee= $22,100.00 OTD price from Honda Marrysville Dealer,Ohio.

2013 Honda Civic EX-L Navi -4DR Sedan OTD: Price of $22,100.00

I assume this is a good Deal for EXL Navi, where the true car quoting me a base price of $22,000.00 , where i got $22,100.00 OTD.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

• radar007radar007 Member Posts: 24

I'm looking for prices paid on 2014 Civic EX and EX-L models. Anyone buy one of these yet around Ohio? I've got a few internet quotes but was wondering how far below invoice they are willing to go this time of year? Thanks.

• bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58

Looking for the best price on a 2013 Honda Civic LX in Austin, TX. I got a quote of 19k before ttl, what's the lowest I can go? It looks like people are getting it in the 16k range before ttl.

• 11tybillion11tybillion Member Posts: 5

if someone wouldn't mind..i keep reading all these posts, and people keep mentioning trying to get 1000 + dollars off "invoice".

Is that the Factory Invoice + Destination fee? Or does "invoice" mean MSRP? Sorry, just really confused

• chuckyzchuckyz Member Posts: 2

@bbb99 said:
    Looking for the best price on a 2013 Honda Civic LX in Austin, TX. I got a quote of 19k before ttl, what's the lowest I can go? It looks like people are getting it in the 16k range before ttl.

You should be able to do a lot better than that. For the LX, there are a lot of reports on here where people paid around 16k before ttl. I paid 16.3k if you look a few posts back.

@11tybillion said:
    if someone wouldn't mind..i keep reading all these posts, and people keep mentioning trying to get 1000 + dollars off "invoice".

Is that the Factory Invoice + Destination fee? Or does "invoice" mean MSRP? Sorry, just really confused

Factory invoice is exactly what it is. Do a search here on edmunds under the new car buying guide. For example, the MSRP for the Civic LX is 19,775 with a factory invoice price of 18,433. There are plenty of folks on here that paid 1-2k off of invoice price before taxes, title, and licensing as those vary by state and county. For example, I paid 16.3k in CA if you look a few posts back.

Pretty sure I got ripped off badly lol. I bought a 2013 EX civic for 21k otd. They made me buy wheel locks, splash guards, and some stupid trunk thing for 499...hopefully this civic is reliable so i don't have to buy another new car for at least a decade :(

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519

@11tybillion said:
    Pretty sure I got ripped off badly lol. I bought a 2013 EX civic for 21k otd. They made me buy wheel locks, splash guards, and some stupid trunk thing for 499...hopefully this civic is reliable so i don't have to buy another new car for at least a decade :(

Maybe, maybe not. You did get a great and reliable car that should easily last a decade or more if you maintain it. Check in with us first next time - lots of folks here willing and able to help you get a great price.

Enjoy your new Civic!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mkosovermkosover Member Posts: 9

@radar007 said:
    I'm looking for prices paid on 2014 Civic EX and EX-L models. Anyone buy one of these yet around Ohio? I've got a few internet quotes but was wondering how far below invoice they are willing to go this time of year? Thanks.

What kind of price quotes did you get for EX?
    I just got $20,290 for 2014 Civic EX (car + destination fee) in CT
    Looking to see how good of a price that is.
    Max

edited January 2014

I got quotes for $20,500, $19,890 and $19,640 all plus TTL for the 2014 Civic EX. EX-L was $21,168. Most doc fees were $250 and one was $130 which was at a PA dealer. I'm still on the fence on which car I want. I would feel more comfortable around $19,000 but doubt that is doable this early in the year. Good luck.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725

Are you shopping in Ohio? The state regulates the maximum doc fee at $250.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes looking in OH but only 25 min drive from PA so got 1 quote from there and doc fee was $130.

• mkosovermkosover Member Posts: 9

@radar007 said:
    I got quotes for $20,500, $19,890 and $19,640 all plus TTL for the 2014 Civic EX. EX-L was $21,168. Most doc fees were $250 and one was $130 which was at a PA dealer. I'm still on the fence on which car I want. I would feel more comfortable around $19,000 but doubt that is doable this early in the year. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing! Because of you I was able to negotiate for 2014 Civic EX to $19700, which includes destination fee, but does not include tax/title/reg/doc fee. Dealers don't have many EX on the lot yet, so they are not as keen to negotiate.
    thanks
    Max

Great job! I know it's early in the year so negotiating is going to be tough. I'm debating between this and a leftover '13 accord LX demo for just a little more. I'm gonna target $1000 under invoice but may not get there this time of year. Enjoy your civic!!

So i recently bought my civic...after I had signed all the paperwork, the salesman then told me that they had misplaced the other two keys and remote, and owner's manual -- I said this is ok, but I want the keys and manual shipped to me via UPS (the dealership is an hour away from where I live). My friend told me that this is grounds for me to return the car. I'm actually considering it (if true), so I can upgrade to the accord. Do you guys know if there is any truth to this?

As of right now, I only have one basic key so when I have passenger's I have to manually unlock their door which is a PITA...

I should mention, I bought it last Tuesday. I called on Friday and they said they'd get back to me, and no one has yet.

"the salesman then told me"

"My friend told me"

Pretty sure that neither of those statements are going to let you return a car that you've already purchased... Just stay on the dealership about getting your keys and manual to you..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I totally agree. You have no grounds to return a car over a silly detail like that. Things happen.

If those items don't arrive very quickly I would call and ask to speak to their General Manager.

• luckypraluckypra Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

I got a quote for 2014 Civic LX,

• Internet Price - 17173 (including D&H)
    • NJ Tax - 7%
    • NJ Motor Vehicle - $276 - $301
    • Doc - $359

This is in NJ. Not sure what is NJ Motor Vehicle charges As I see new plates fee from DMV is like $60.

What you guys thinks about it?

• g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160

Trying to help my sister in law lease a new 2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L CVT Sedan with Navigation - MSRP $25,030 (includes $790 destination) 36 months / 15,000 miles.
    If I can negotiate the price to $23,800 (about $500 over invoice). She would like to only put first month down but could go up to $1,500. Does someone have the money factor / residual for the 2014 Honda Civic EX-L CVT w/nav for 36mos/15,000 miles. What would a reasonable lease price with those figures - NJ Sales Tax 7%, NJ Motor Vehicle 275, Doc Fee 269. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Note - She went to the dealer with her dad and was quoted $249/month on a 2013 Civic EX w/o navigation MSRP 21,065 (don't know what negotiated car price was) same 36mos/15,000 miles with $1,500 down. Dealer is going to waive her remaining 4 2011 lease payments on her current Civic.

Thanks!
    ER

edited January 2014

I don't have any money factor information on the 2014 Civic.. The residual for that model is 55%.

The 2013 Civic EX that was quoted probably has a lot of incentives and a low, low money factor. Rates for the 2014 loaded up model probably won't be close.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks to kyfdx and all of the great input in here, I was able to negotiate a lease for a 2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX MSRP 21,605 for $225/month 36mos / 15,000 miles a year lease.
    KYFDX is the bomb!!!

• txvhptxvhp Member Posts: 1

I'm also considering negotiating a 2013 EX lease. Was the $225/month with the $1500 down or another amount?
    Thanks!

txvhp - we wanted to keep the payments lower, so we put the $1500 down, so it was $225/month 36 mos. /15,000 miles. There is also dealer incentive cash you may be able to get for more cap reduction if you ask.