Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Ford Expedition / White - value?

kticknorkticknor Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Ford

Hello, I have a 2004 White Ford Expedition w/ 3rd gear issues / transmission issues. I'd like to sell it, and was wondering what you think I could sell it for or what it is worth?

Thank you
Kathleen

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2014

We have an appraisal tool.

But Edmunds.com does not provide estimates for damaged vehicles. To derive a value for a "Damaged" vehicle, simply take the "Average" condition and subtract the cost of restoring the vehicle to "Average" condition.

So, assuming you have a 4WD XLS with 170,000 miles, the average value would be $1,083 trade-in, $1,742 private party sale.

Rebuilt transmissions can run from $1,500 to over $5,000, easy.

So, there's not much value there.

You might try finding a mechanic who could save on the labor and see they'd buy it. Try an independent shop or put a sign up at any auto salvage yard in your area.

And there's always craigslist - if you go that route, it'd really be best to get an estimate or two so you can include that in your ad.

(btw, I tweaked your title so it wouldn't look like an ad in here, since we aren't set up for buying and selling on the forum).

• kticknorkticknor Member Posts: 2

Thank you!!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Hm, saw your dupe post just now and plugged in 170k and edited my post. Not sure how I came up with $4,000 +/- before.

It's hard to find any decent used car for under $5,000 (although supply is easing some), so hopefully your paint and interior are in good shape, strong AC, etc. to entice a fixer-upper to give you something for it. Good luck!