Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

F150 First Oil Change

just_focusjust_focus Member Posts: 53

I just had my first oil change on my 2013 F150 with the 5.0 at 4900 miles and was wondering what others are doing? I have read that guys are doing the first oil change from 1000 miles all the way up to using the onboard computer which says about 10,000 miles. I had the Ford dealer do mine because I went to the Ford Owners web site and retrieved "The Works" coupon for $19.99 and I could never do it myself for that much.

Comments

• dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729

I think some people way over think oil changes. I had the first oil change on my 14 Ram done at 5,500 mies. From now on I'll go by the oil life monitor, though I don't know if I'll go much past 7k miles. I never changed oil before 5k miles on my previous 07 expedition and never had a oil related issue over 130k miles and it never burned a drop.

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315

I Know that Ford specs out the Synthetic blended oil for most if not all of the new cars and trucks. I am curious to know if Ford corporate ever audits the dealers to make sure they are using the correct oil? A 19.99 oil change for a F150 that takes 8 quarts of oil and a tire rotation would be a losing proposition for any dealer.

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@hackattack5 said:
    I Know that Ford specs out the Synthetic blended oil for most if not all of the new cars and trucks. I am curious to know if Ford corporate ever audits the dealers to make sure they are using the correct oil? A 19.99 oil change for a F150 that takes 8 quarts of oil and a tire rotation would be a losing proposition for any dealer.

The $19.99 price is to get you in the door where they can hopefully upsell you to a full price service or at least establish a relationship where you'll consider having expensive work done there.

• jimsouthjimsouth Member Posts: 8

I have an old F 150 ( 1995 with the in line 4.9 liter six ). Brutally powerful - much torque. I have always always used Lubri Plate motor oil. Look it up.

• jimsouthjimsouth Member Posts: 8

The Lubri Plate oil I use is not a synthetic. Has fluid zinc - which actually fills in bearing scuffs.