Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Heading to Newark, DE and then up to Scranton this weekend. Odds on me seeing something "topic worthy" in the SE PA area?? B)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072

Maybe if I pick them up and throw them at the negligently operated controls, or at the oh so responsible and fairly paid "engineers" behind them? ;)

Out this morning ~0530, Nissan 4x4 sits at a blinking yellow turn arrow. I am on the cross street, sitting at red, which won't change until he moves. He apparently didn't understand the blinking yellow concept - I had to honk and flash my lights to wake him up. My town implemented blinking yellow turn lanes during off-peak hours to get some traffic moving, but apparently the dumbed down "diverse" local driving populace hasn't understood it 100%, as the city had to then install signs with instructions.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Apparently the traffic planners back east answer to the pols. B)

Maybe you should pick up a few traffic cones yourself. :-)

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747

@fintail said:
    He apparently didn't understand the blinking yellow concept....My town implemented blinking yellow turn lanes during off-peak hours to get some traffic moving

Those blinking yellow turn arrows are starting to show up here, too. I don't understand the need or point of them, honestly. I guess that, if nothing else, they serve as a visual break in the otherwise green lights, which does catch your attention.

Strangely, though, when the lights first turn green (for through and left-turning traffic), the turn arrow is green. It then goes to solid yellow, then to solid red for 2-3 seconds before becoming blinking yellow. I have to wonder, on the few times that I approach and enter the intersection during the yellow/red phase, whether a LEO could ticket me for "running a red light" during that sequence when it is clearly only a transition from a ROW to a yield-ROW-to-oncoming-traffic scenario. For lights that are not subject to the blinking yellow arrow (you know, the ones where drivers can actually use their own judgement... God forbid!), no such ambiguity exists.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Here, they usually start off as blinking yellow, but I think a few might make the green-to-yellow transition. Yellow = proceed with caution, I guess that isn't taught in the new style buy-your-license drivers ed in my area. The city putting up signs telling local "drivers" what to do says it all. Speaking of judgement, I will still stand by the idea that during certain hours, blinking lights are needed. But the safety crybabies won't go for it - probably get a ticket out of it now and then.
    Annoying thing I have noticed about it is when a car makes the turn on blinking yellow, the oncoming lane will turn red a couple seconds later - for no reason at all, as the turn lane is now empty. I think it's a programming glitch by the venerable "engineers" (lots of smirky quotes today). As in the morning, I am usually on almost empty roads with no revenue enforcers or cameras around, I don't respect those reds, so to speak.
    If a LEO pulled that light running trick, it would be fun to lawyer up and deliver some humility. Gotta have an ethical judge too, of course.

@xwesx said:

@fintail said:
    If a LEO pulled that light running trick, it would be fun to lawyer up and deliver some humility. Gotta have an ethical judge too, of course.

Sounds like a "perfect storm" scenario, to me! :p

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited January 2014

took gto out for 3rd time in a month. it has hancook ice-bear tires on it, and they are indeed semi-capable on snow and ice. but for the 2nd time in a month, a car ran stop sign directly in front of me, on a 35 mph dry road, had to slam on brakes massively. stopped with about 2 feet spare.
    this car passed another car at the stop sign, in order to run the stop - a 1-lane/one-way with stop sign. this person wasn't texting, amazingly. due to looking over snowbanks and the other car they passed at the stop, they probably didn't see my car because it's not as tall as SUV or truck.

anyway, even though this wasn't from texting, sooooo many people are driving and texting out there, it is amazing there aren't 100x more accidents.

In the dark rain tonight, several cars with no lights - 2x Prius, Lexus LS, Sienna. Saw a guy in a Legacy wagon with no lights, I pointed at his car, and he turned them on, yay! Also a couple of crosswalk crowders.

• jimi240jimi240 Member Posts: 2

I shop I used to run had some interesting customers. One seasoned citizen in particular was quite the star. Her husband had passed, but she was still a snowbird, maintaining two vehicles between Ohio and Florida. Every spring- as per her dead husband's orders- she brought her car in for "service" Now this old girl was nearly blind, so the fact the she had only put 13 MILES on the clock during the previous driving season had escaped her. Normally, she would put a couple hundred miles a season, but this one year gets a gold medal. She was so blind, in fact, that she would ask us how much fuel the gauge registered! Needless to say, just to get her off the lot, we would park her car right at the street, ready to go. There was no talking her out of driving either, regardless of how unsafe she was.

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

The blind can be reported to the DMV and they will require an eye examine.

Yeah, call her in. It's all you can do, as no politico will dare do anything about the issue - oldsters vote, and our so-called leaders and officials care more about the gold gained via elected office than doing anything responsible. It's going to be even more fun out there in the next couple decades, too, as youth-obsessed boomers become oldsters, and I'll wager will be very unwilling to give up the keys.

I am very respectful to my grandmother, who is almost 90, and just last year decided to stop driving. A couple little scrapes and ingress/egress problems made up her mind. Smart lady.

@jimi240 said:
    I shop I used to run had some interesting customers. One seasoned citizen in particular was quite the star. Her husband had passed, but she was still a snowbird, maintaining two vehicles between Ohio and Florida. Every spring- as per her deadThere was no talking her out of driving either, regardless of how unsafe she was.

Out on foot this morning - saw a woman in a Sentra take a free turn in front of an oncoming Accord and narrowly avoided being hit - she got some nice honking, which was deserved. Only one crosswalk crowder.
    Was out last night, I honked at what I think was an Infiniti, parked on a busy relatively narrow street with no street parking, no hazard lights, no nothing - and of course, the dbag honked back. Honked at a Focus that was at a light - driver distracted by passenger, light turns green, car does nothing, then hits the signal and turns at 1mph. Also was tailgated by a couple of young skanks in a VW cabrio, driver holding a cig, weaving through traffic but making no progress. Funny thing, I had to brake early for an upcoming turn.

• johnvantinejohnvantine Member Posts: 5

I'm sure this has been mentioned already... But the use of turn signals seems to be a regional thing, and it drives me crazy!

I spent most of my life in Pennsylvania, where the majority of people used turn signals. It becomes a second nature thing - I do it even when no one is behind me. It's a part of the turning process, so to speak.

I've been in Los Angeles for a little over 3 years now, and it seems like no one uses them out here. It drives me crazy.

Does anyone else feel like this is a regional thing?

Absolutely, John! When you take a transcontinental trip, as my family did this past September, you get to see the regions come and go in accelerated motion! Use of signals is definitely more prevalent in some areas than others.

Seattle is pretty good about signal use all in all - save for BMW and Audi drivers, and maybe those in highline SUVs and little fake race cars.

@xwesx said:
    Absolutely, John! When you take a transcontinental trip, as my family did this past September, you get to see the regions come and go in accelerated motion! Use of signals is definitely more prevalent in some areas than others.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Two cases today of "How DARE you try to get in front of me?!?" First and worst was on a rush-hour freeway in early morning, still dark, stalled car on right shoulder with state trooper behind it with lights flashing. Most traffic was moving to the middle lane to stay clear. A few drivers were too oblivious to do that, stayed in the right lane. This happened right before my exit, so after I passed the stalled car I saw there was a good-sized break in the right lane and signaled for the lane change. The black pickup at the back of the gap decided to floor it instead of just maintaining speed to let me in safely. I scanned ahead and saw a gap a couple of cars ahead, so I floored it myself and ducked into that opening, just making my exit.

A little later this morning, I was in the left lane of a 4-lane arterial (had moved around some slow traffic) and signaled to return to the right lane, and then changed lanes. Plenty of room in front of a black Durango, no drama at all. But for some reason he was upset that I got in front of him and flashed his high beams right after I changed lanes. A few blocks up he went around me, glaring at me as he passed me. He was in no hurry, doing the speed limit in the left lane so my car was alongside his for awhile. Eventually, he had to turn right so he sped up and changed lanes in front of me. Of course, I gave him a friendly flash of the high beams. :)

Drove to DC and back last night. 9:30 PM, driver in heavy traffic with absolutely no lights on. Honestly thought there was nobody behind me, just a big black hole.

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    Drove to DC and back last night. 9:30 PM, driver in heavy traffic with absolutely no lights on. Honestly thought there was nobody behind me, just a big black hole.

You should be able to tell the difference, though, as a black hole would create stronger gravity than a vehicle. :)

@backy said:
    Two cases today of "How DARE you try to get in front of me?!?" First and worst was on a rush-hour freeway in early morning, still dark, stalled car on right shoulder with state trooper behind it with lights flashing. Most traffic was moving to the middle lane to stay clear. A few drivers were too oblivious to do that, stayed in the right lane. This happened right before my exit, so after I passed the stalled car I saw there was a good-sized break in the right lane and signaled for the lane change. The black pickup at the back of the gap decided to floor it instead of just maintaining speed to let me in safely. I scanned ahead and saw a gap a couple of cars ahead, so I floored it myself and ducked into that opening, just making my exit.

A little later this morning, I was in the left lane of a 4-lane arterial (had moved around some slow traffic) and signaled to return to the right lane, and then changed lanes. Plenty of room in front of a black Durango, no drama at all. But for some reason he was upset that I got in front of him and flashed his high beams right after I changed lanes. A few blocks up he went around me, glaring at me as he passed me. He was in no hurry, doing the speed limit in the left lane so my car was alongside his for awhile. Eventually, he had to turn right so he sped up and changed lanes in front of me. Of course, I gave him a friendly flash of the high beams. :)

Those antics are usual when the other drivers don't want your wet spray to hit them headon. This is more than a frequent occurance in the GNW.

edited January 2014

@euphonium said:
    Those antics are usual when the other drivers don't want your wet spray to hit them headon. This is more than a frequent occurance in the GNW.

Well, on one side of the GNW, anyway! :p

I generally take weather conditions into play when deciding when to pull into the right lane ahead of another vehicle I recently passed. If it is dry snow like we typically get here (creates a snow blind when a vehicle drives through), I pull back in immediately ahead of the other vehicle (right lane is typically the "clear" lane due to higher traffic use) in order to minimize the snow blind effect. For heavy rain, wet snow, and other sorts of precipitation, I give more distance than usual before pulling over.

We can't control the reaction of other drivers, so we must simply do what we can to be considerate and leave their actions to them.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Had some snow blindness tonight - rain going over to the next town an hour away, moderately heavy snow coming back a couple of hours later. Light traffic as usual. And everyone was taking it easy (even me, lol). The snow and visibility really didn't get bad until the last 5 miles at least.

Only idiot was some guy on an ATV in a wide spot (one service station, one bar) who cut out in front of me crossing the highway. Naturally there were no lights on his rig. I think I know which establishment he was heading for.

Fun evening. I'll start with the nice encounter - while on foot, I crossed in front of a red Mini with no lights in the dark. I pointed at the car and looked at him, and he quickly waved at me and turned on the lights. Nice.

Driving home was a zoo. Started off fine, then got stuck at a wildly long light. Once that was done, was on a 40mph road in a line of cars, because a gold-beige Camry several cars up didn't want to push it past 33. Then on a busy 35mph street, I am cruising in the left lane, CRV pulls out from a side street, veers into the left lane, and goes a bit slower than I (wasn't going more than 5 over). I pass on the right, and he speeds up. I speed up more, and get back in the left lane, as I'll eventually have to turn left. He then flashes me, as if I cut him off. I turn left at the next light, and can see him dawdling and holding up cars as I turn.

Also saw a taxi make a ridiculous multi point U-turn, holding up at least 10 cars. Nobody honked.

Perhaps the taxi driver learned Driving in his home country.

Exactly. Bellevue is a very...diverse...driving environment.

@euphonium said:
    Perhaps the taxi driver learned Driving in his home country.

Not a lot of wet spray around when it's January in Minnesota, it's not snowing, and it's about 10 degrees. :p But if there were wet spray around... the bit of spray from my tiny Kia probably wouldn't have even reached the windshields of the big pickup or the Durango.

@euphonium said:

It is so cold in Minnesota the men wear their pants pulled up.

Got to honk twice today - CRV stopped for a green light, then floored it after I woke them up, I'll say nothing more. RXD driven by an older woman who was brushing her hair, light turned green - didn't matter to her. Also saw a guy in a big truck eating a bowl of something, tell me that's better than holding a phone. Oh, also saw a girl in an S-class with a phone to her ear.

@johnvantine said:
    I'm sure this has been mentioned already... But the use of turn signals seems to be a regional thing, and it drives me crazy!

I spent most of my life in Pennsylvania, where the majority of people used turn signals. It becomes a second nature thing - I do it even when no one is behind me. It's a part of the turning process, so to speak.

I've been in Los Angeles for a little over 3 years now, and it seems like no one uses them out here. It drives me crazy.

Does anyone else feel like this is a regional thing?

Sometimes it's seems like there isn't time for signals in CA. Driving up the 5 from SD to LA I just go with the flow and STAY ALERT ;)

edited January 2014

On foot this morning, had to waive an airhead in a Suburban through a free turn because she was engrossed in the conversation being had with the phone held to her ear, and didn't notice the lineup behind her nor the empty street in front of her. So far past the time for license endorsements for behemoths.

Crosswalk crowder today was a probably grumpy old man in an SSR of all things. Also saw a 500 Abarth blow through a red light - I don't mean the end of a yellow, this was red for probably 30 seconds before it went through. But to be fair, the light exists to let oncoming left turners through, so if it is empty ahead, no logical reason to stop, other than to appease the hardworking brave revenue enforcement sector.

@fintail said:
    But to be fair, the light exists to let oncoming left turners through, so if it is empty ahead, no logical reason to stop, other than to appease the hardworking brave revenue enforcement sector.

Well, okay, but "blow through" it? I'm an advocate of using a driver's intelligence, so I have no problem with a stop-look-go when the situation warrants. If the driver simply failed to stop, however, that can be a terribly dangerous situation given that an opposing direction undoubtedly had a green. If nothing else, stopping (or even slowing significantly) at least gives a driver enough time to make a well-informed decision about when is the best time to cross.

Probably going no more than 35, slight downhill, clear line of sight for several blocks - wouldn't be hard to see an oncoming car (there were none). What I saw wasn't dangerous or a close call per se, I was just surprised by it being so blatant. I'd wager the driver wasn't paying attention rather than intentionally running the light, which makes it worse.

Stop-look-go should be legal in many places at many times. I do it often on my early morning commute. The only thing working against it is a need for control and money.

@xwesx said:
    Well, okay, but "blow through" it? I'm an advocate of using a driver's intelligence, so I have no problem with a stop-look-go when the situation warrants. If the driver simply failed to stop, however, that can be a terribly dangerous situation given that an opposing direction undoubtedly had a green. If nothing else, stopping (or even slowing significantly) at least gives a driver enough time to make a well-informed decision about when is the best time to cross.

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707

Well, today we had a snowstorm in Maryland. And there was so much wind that it really reduced visibility.

So naturally, what did the majority of Maryland drivers do? They left their lights off.

I heard about that snowstorm! I also heard that it wasn't much fun to be out in it due to the snarled traffic....

I would like to see some colder temps and a little snowfall here, if you can believe it! It's been weeks since our last substantial snow event, and temps are hovering near freezing (which is way too warm for this time of year).

Last few commutes have been very nice - decent volumes, nothing too stupid, slowpokes only a little annoying - and even when on foot, no loud crosswalk crowders. But this evening, on-ramp with a line of traffic merging (there's a light leading up to it), greybeard in a red Mini doesn't think he should wait, floors, it, passes everyone on the right (carpool lane), then has to hit his brakes at the end of the ramp because traffic clumped up. A Mini is a BMW product, so it makes sense.

That might be a little harsh...but maybe not.

It's an epidemic in the PNW. I've noticed lately more than a couple "drivers" who think parking lights are just as good, too. I don't get the mentality - they want to be visible, just not too visible. Also, Lexus vehicles seem to be leaders in the use of fog lights on city streets in clear weather. Must be a pretend sporty thing.

Oh I'm not talking parking lights or DRL's... I see TONS of them. These folks have NO lights on at all. Just a big black hole in front of you or in the rear view mirror. I got honked at one on the beltway in DC last week because I changed lanes without seeing them and cut THEM off.

The awesomeness of XKCD cannot be overstated. :)

Clearly, this is serendipity!

edited January 2014

Oh yeah I know. It is just as bad here, maybe worse than many places as so many roads are covered with a tree canopy - makes it dark even in waning daylight. I saw a minivan out well after sunset with no lights - but NY plates, so that might explain it :)

Out today, saw a Subaru turn left onto a busy street, right in front of me, and dawdle along well under the limit. I passed on the right, but for some reason, a truck behind me wouldn't pass - and missed a light for it. The Subie deserved a pit maneuver, perhaps.

And this is so shocking, I can't believe it - there's no doubt in my mind. This sick mixture of public sector and fake businessmen seems like a foundation stone of fascism. The payer and payee deserve some...justice.

And a funny read

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    Oh I'm not talking parking lights or DRL's... I see TONS of them. These folks have NO lights on at all. Just a big black hole in front of you or in the rear view mirror. I got honked at one on the beltway in DC last week because I changed lanes without seeing them and cut THEM off.

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:

It's because many new cars now have electroluminescent dash lighting, so it's always lit up, day or night. So when it gets dark out, the driver looks down and can see the dash... which is the usual cue for one to turn on the lights (aka: when you can't clearly see the speedometer).

I'm with you on that. It's the one thing I would change on my Versa. Come out of a store in a well lit parking lot and you think you have your headlights on because the dash is lit up. I feel for that a few times before I revised my "Time to drive" checklist in my head.

But that's a feeble excuse for driving out on the open road with no lights someplace that that you had to drive for more than 5 minutes without lights on to get to.

My Sentra was like that, but cars like the Sentra with always-lighted gauges have a headlights-on indicator in the instrument cluster. I don't think some people realize it's there or what it means. Maybe that's why indicator lights like that are called "idiot lights". :)

I was going to say, I thought most cars made in the past 10 years have a "lights on" symbol in the gauge cluster. I don't know if there's much excuse aside from obliviousness.

edited January 2014

Got to honk twice today - once at a dbag in a Passat who was zooming around in a parking lot and flew up the wrong side of a lane as I was entering it. Then he slowed, as if to intentionally block me - so I laid on the horn. It was fun. Then I got behind a likely rental Avenger going 10 under, with a line of cars behind it. When it was my turn to be near it, it slowed to a virtual stop and slowly crept into a gas station parking lot. Yep, I am lost (in a town with a very simple grid style street layout), let's just freeze up.

And almost as I type this, a current style Lexus ES went by my window, no lights. Don't those have automatic lights?

And on the annoying side, several main arterial intersections had their left turn signals covered and disabled. If the questionably salaried and pensioned "engineers" who do such a fine job of making traffic move are removing these signals, the outcry will be fierce.

@PFFlyer@Edmunds said:
    I'm with you on that. It's the one thing I would change on my Versa. Come out of a store in a well lit parking lot and you think you have your headlights on because the dash is lit up. I feel for that a few times before I revised my "Time to drive" checklist in my head.

But that's a feeble excuse for driving out on the open road with no lights someplace that that you had to drive for more than 5 minutes without lights on to get to.

I totally agree.

Took a ~230 mile drive today. On my way there, no problems at all - no LLCs, smooth flowing traffic, a few LEOs out, but I never went more than 10 over, no worries. I did see a Camry that zoomed by me going maybe 85+ in a 70 pulled over maybe 10 mins later. On the way back, chaos. I lost count of the LLCs, even saw an older fellow in an R8 (!) LLCing at about 1 under the limit and being passed by a line of cars. No real speed demons or near misses or ragers (other than maybe the cloud of profanity hanging over my car as I was behind a few), just the clueless.

Out on foot this morning, both crosswalk crowders were gormless looking phone-holding middle aged women in newer CUVs. That demographic is a real headache. Also saw one similar, but likely a "new" driver if you know what I mean, Lexus RX, make a right turn from a straight only lane. Hey it works in Bangalore, let it work here too, celebrate cultural differences. Mass immigration is fun for foodies, terrible for drivers.

Then out in the car on a 4 lane arterial - I am in the left lane, right lane is going ~10 under (yay WA!). I am eventually going to turn right, so I signal and start moving into the right lane. That makes an otherwise nice looking W211 E-class decide to speed up and try to not let me in. But I did it anyway. When I turned, I did it really slow - but I had a good excuse too, the RX in front of me (different from the earlier one) was going about 4mph.

Trifecta spotted while on foot this morning. Started off with a rental Avalon, "driver" holding a phone like they were texting or reading, inconsistent speed, no signals. Second was a G37 douchecoupe that had to stand on the brakes to avoid a woman pushing a stroller in a crosswalk - she had green and the car had a red light. It was a borderline close call, enough to get me to utter a profanity. After she was out of it, coupe turned right, and droned off. Third was a new unplated 2014 Range Rover that apparently wasn't ordered with the turn signal option pack - but I am sure the driver had an excuse, out building things and creating jobs etc.

• gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116

LOL over so many of these comments! Here's a quick roundup of the San Diego traffic scene, where even cloudless skies and 70+ temps are no bar to clueless driving:

1. On the visual spectrum, we are an enclave of extremes; drivers without lights and drivers with bright lights abound in the afternoon commute. I always try to give them some sort of notice, which the majority - and the CHP apparently - ignore.

2. Como se dice "slower traffic keep right" o "keep right except to pass" en espanol? That's the one bilingual sign we really need on our freeways, especially in the northbound lanes, as cars bearing MX plates just don't seem to be aware of this law a/o the reason for it.

3. "Pump up the volume?" Fine, but not at the pump, please, where it sometimes becomes so loud as to border on igniting fumes, though it usually only leaves other folks fuming.

4. "Did they give you a turn signal on that _______?" (Insert name of hulking, overpriced SUV, 4-wheeler, a/o "luxury sport" vehicle.) Not using them remains the norm for too many, with the result that traffic is senselessly delayed or its risks needlessly increased.

5. AND THE OMNIPRESENT, UBIQUITOUS, ALL-TIME CALIFORNIA FAVORITE THAT CUTS ACROSS ALL CLASS AND GENDER LINES: Texting and talking ad nauseum et ad infinitum. C'mon, coppers, open your eyes and start writing some tickets!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2014

Lout in a monster diesel pickup--keeps it running while filling his 2 tanks---the exhaust pipe, the size of a culvert, is spewing fumes into the filling area, while the truck's Hammers of Hell clackering ricochets off the station's extended roof. Nice, real nice.