Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2014

Ninety five percent

of all scientists agree

to warm is human

IPCC haiku (deepseanews.com).

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited January 2014

Roses are Red

Violets are swell

Global Warmers Like Gore

Should be Stuck with the Bill

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

@Claire@Edmunds said:
    The author makes some pretty impressive leaps, especially this:

>
    Wow, those articles were right on target.. You hit it right out of the 'ol ball park Claire.

Like Gary, I am continually amazed by the complete lack of a BS meter by the people who fall for the GW myth. I really don't think there are that many of these "suckers" out there, but that the vast majority of those who defend the GW agenda have some sort monetary and/or political interest that they are actually trying to defend.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Most warmers are wanting to look green. Pushing the alternative energy program du jour. They are removed from reality by a euphoric cloud of self indulgence. They somehow believe they are making a difference, no matter the cost to our economy and well being. They are destroying their own lifestyle unknowingly.

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703

gagrice:

I found you by accident...I realize the site has changed, just like they have changed it in the past...but I currently have no starting point, so I do not know what I am doing...I hope you receive this post...

Where do I start to learn what they have changed so I can work my way to "my watched items?"

Thanks.

Bob

edited January 2014

Hey Bob, welcome back! This is a good discussion to skim:

Welcome to Edmunds New Forums!

To find discussions that you may want to catch up in, you can go to Participated under your Profile on the right sidebar - that'll list any discussion you've ever posted in.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited January 2014

@marsha7 said:
    Where do I start to learn what they have changed so I can work my way to "my watched items?"

The Participated group helps find old ones. Next to each topic name is a blue star; click it to turn it yellow, which means it's Bookmarked (Subscribed). Then you can use the Bookmarked list in the right-hand box to navigate.

If there's a yellow highlighter on post's number in a list, there are new messages.

Good to see you make it back!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@marsha7 said:
    gagrice:

I found you by accident...I realize the site has changed, just like they have changed it in the past...but I currently have no starting point, so I do not know what I am doing...I hope you receive this post...

Thanks.

Bob

Hey Bob,
    Welcome back. Looks like the hands have put you back on track. No Rocky to harrass. He stays on FaceBook, where he can debate Sports, Unions and Politics all on the same long thread. Not nearly as easy to get through as Edmunds.

Costa Rica Declares State of Emergency As Polar Vortex Sends Temperatures Below 75 Degrees Fahrenheit

PLAYA HERMOSA – President Laura Chinchilla declared a State of Emergency yesterday as the polar vortex that froze most of North America blew in to Costa Rica and sent thermometers plunging to a record low 73°F (23 °C).

Chinchilla urged Costa Ricans to take precautions as the Nordic front pushed south, encouraging citizens to wear covered-toe sandals and heavier tank-tops or even short-sleeved shirts. She also suggested that women wear adult-sized skirts, and for men to use less hair gel in case of a deep freeze.

http://elpeji.com/2014/01/10/costa-rica-declares-state-of-emergency-as-polar-vortex-sends-temperatures-below-75-degrees-fahrenheit/

edited January 2014

Has Mike Mann trashed his own credibility??? What happened to your Hockey stick??

When a man sues for damage to his reputation and grossly inflates that reputation in the very court filings, that says something about his credibility. Unlike the obtuse groupie Revkin, Professor Roger Pielke Jr of the University of Colorado, in a post on "embellishing science", grasps the significance of Dr Mann's fraudulent Nobel claim:

Mann's embellishment has placed him in a situation where his claims are being countered by the Nobel organization itself. Mann's claim, rather than boosting his credibility actually risks having the opposite effect, a situation that was entirely avoidable and one which Mann brought upon himself by making the embellishment in the first place. The embellishment is only an issue because Mann has invoked it as a source of authority is a legal dispute. It would seem common sense that having such an embellishment within a complaint predicated on alleged misrepresentations may not sit well with a judge or jury.

This situation provides a nice illustration of what is wrong with a some aspects of climate science today -- a few scientists motivated by a desire to influence political debates over climate change have embellished claims, such as related to disasters, which then risks credibility when the claims are exposed as embellishments.

In other words, it's part of a pattern of behavior:

In the suit against his detractors, Michael Mann claims to have won the Nobel Peace Prize. He has not in fact won the Nobel Peace Prize, but has merely been associated with an organization that won it. That he didn't say it this way, but instead said that he himself had won it, tells us a couple things about him.

First, it shows that he's not very good with details. One would expect scientists, especially scientists who want to have an enormous effect on the lives of everyone on earth, to be rather good with details, but apparently Mann is not.

Second, the way that he is not very good with details is that he exaggerates things.

http://www.steynonline.com/5264/the-fraudulent-nobel-laureate

**On December 19, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals effectively erased Michael Mann’s initial court victory in his defamation lawsuit against Mark Steyn, National Review, Rand Simberg and the Competitive Enterprise Institute. **

http://www.volokh.com/2013/12/27/mann-v-steyn-mulligan/

edited January 2014

Does this make Michael Mann a Fraud?

Geir Lundestad, Director, Professor, of The Norwegian Nobel Institute emailed me back with the following:

1) Michael Mann has never been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
    2) He did not receive any personal certificate. He has taken the diploma awarded in 2007 to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (and to Al Gore) and made his own text underneath this authentic-looking diploma.
    3) The text underneath the diploma is entirely his own. We issued only the diploma to the IPCC as such. No individuals on the IPCC side received anything in 2007.

Lundestad goes on to say that, "Unfortunately we often experience that members of organizations that have indeed been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize issue various forms of personal diplomas to indicate that they personally have received the Nobel Peace Prize. They have not."

edited January 2014

One of the wags at the home office complained last week that they had to wear socks with their sandals to work.

"Merely been associated with". Mann was a lead author on the “Observed Climate Variability and Change” chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report. The group that won the prize.

So he gets compared to Jerry Sandusky. Nice.

Wanna talk about GW or shall we continue to focus on Al and the Koch boys?

btw, you might enjoy The Truth by Michael Palin about a two faced environmentalist.

I have a stack of books to read that should last until I am 90. I see the issue much more clearly than making Mann look like the fool that he is. Steyn is a comedian/historian. Very entertaining to read and listen to. Mann suing him to me shows a real lack of wisdom. He brought Climate science down the level of comedy. And his credibiltiy was trashed in the process. I can imagine that Mann considered his part in the IPCC report worthy of a prize. Truth is he was NOT awarded the Nobel Prize.

As far as GW it is a dead monkey for now. At least until we get past this mini ice age. I will stay with the consensus of credible scientists like Lindzen and Curry. This I can agree with.

Curry has stated that she is troubled by the "tribal nature" of parts of the climate-science community, and what she sees as stonewalling over the release of data and its analysis for independent review. She has written that climatologists should be more transparent in their dealings with the public and should engage with those skeptical of the scientific consensus on climate change.

Lindzen says:

**Based on the weak argument that the current models used by the IPCC couldn't reproduce the warming from about 1978 to 1998 without some forcing, and that the only forcing that they could think of was man. Even this argument assumes that these models adequately deal with natural internal variability—that is, such naturally occurring cycles as El Niño, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, etc.

Yet articles from major modeling centers acknowledged that the failure of these models to anticipate the absence of warming for the past dozen years was due to the failure of these models to account for this natural internal variability. Thus even the basis for the weak IPCC argument for anthropogenic climate change was shown to be false.

Meanwhile Scientists Back Up Climate ‘Hockey Stick’ Graph of Mann's. So they attack him and not the science. (redorbit.com)

Is Rush still addicted? Does Al Jr. still speed in his Prius? B)

**However, the findings dispute that notion.
    One of the analytical methods used in the study shows that temperatures in the Mediaeval Warm Period could have been no higher than they were in about 1980. Another method suggests they were no higher than those seen 100 years ago.

Could have been, sounds like maybe possibly. That does not take into account hard evidence that some time in the past 1000 years there was cattle farming on Greenland where there is now is ice.

In 1991 two Caribou hunters in Greenland stumbled on a Viking farm that had been buried in the permafrost for 500 years.

http://toryaardvark.com/2009/11/27/climategate-greenland-another-inconvenient-truth/

They are farming in Greenland again but it doesn't sound like it's all roses. Funny place to have drought concerns. (CNN)

There you go your article says it all. It was once what it may again become. Opportunity knocks on some doors while others get slammed shut. Learn to adapt.

Global warming may very well be a threat to humanity, but here in Greenland it seems to be pushing this country back to what it was when it was discovered by the traveler Erik the Red. A lush, green piece of land that could offer good conditions for agriculture.

edited January 2014

Something tells me it didn't take ~400 years for the current arable land to show up. :)

L'Anse aux Meadows was in the same time period but their "farm" only lasted a few years before they bugged out. Got cold again? (Wiki link)

Either way, L'Anse would make a great destination for a road trip for your VW.

Here's another greenhouse gas saver.

This Audi Can Predict When a Parking Space Will Open Up (Wired)

After living in Minnesota for 3 years I was convinced the Vikings discovered NA long before Columbus. I personally inspected the Runestone and decided it was for real. :) It is in a museum not far from my farm. In the 1970s it was taught in the public schools there. My wife taught in the local grade school.

Not sure if I would be going that far North. Trying to avoid bad weather as much as possible.

edited January 2014

lol, I was thinking more like July for your road trip. They've been without power in parts of the province for almost two weeks and now they're getting hammered by rain and high winds. Did I post pics the other day? Now that's weather! (ctvnews.com)

edited January 2014

I have opened doors to be faced with a wall of blown in snow. Kind of creepy not knowing how far you have to dig to get out of your building. If I sell out here and move East I will have more time for trips like that. That is a long ways up there to L'Anse aux Meadows. I'd rather go to Belize or Costa Rica before they are under water :p They are starting another ferry system from Tampa to Cancun. Make the drive to Belize and Costa Rica much shorter and safer.

edited January 2014

My van's been there twice, fun trip, lots of ice bergs. In your case, south may be the better idea since diesel is widely available down that way. The ferry sounds like fun, may have to check that out (I assume walk-ons are okay). Also sounds like they start one every 5 years and they don't pan out.

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    "Merely been associated with". Mann was a lead author on the “Observed Climate Variability and Change” chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Third Scientific Assessment Report. The group that won the prize.

Who does this guy think he is, a politician?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

IF the Ferry system does get going again it will make the move for my brother easier to his home being built in Belize. I don't think I am ready for such a move. He is 18 years younger than me.

http://sanctuarybelize.com/

@gagrice, sorry, the system thought you were spamming and stuck your sanctuary posts in the spam filter.

I wondered why I was shut out and just went to harrassing Rocky on his FB page. Speaking of pollution, I wonder if the Atlantic will be safer than the Pacific since Fukishima. Man Made pollution is real. My kids are worried about their water supply coming out of the Ohio River. I think there are so many more pressing environmental issues than GW.

edited January 2014

There's a way to verify people so the system won't flag posts, so that should fix the issue with you.

The Atlantic has its own issues with the Italian mob illegally dumping radioactive waste offshore but most of the waste was dumped legally by the UK. (BBC)

And the US dumped in the Atlantic too, and there's some in the Gulf of Mexico. (Wikipedia)

There's some argument that radioactive waste doesn't really dilute but simply gets spread further around (it's "diluted" but the argument is that if you happen to ingest any particles that wind up on your lettuce, your cancer risk increases). The real dilution is the half-life, and that can be very short to 24,000 years for a high level waste like Plutonium-239. Don't ask me which ones got dumped by Fukushima; there are lots and lots of different kinds of radioactive waste.

The nuke stuff is even more difficult to get your head around that all the GW papers. And the people who know the stuff are mostly in the industry so the whole trust issue boils down to believing GE or Greenpeace.

Btw, had king crab last week and some pacific haddock. But freshwater perch last night. ;)

I think that bad stuff from Fukishima is Cesium 134 & 137. Of course our communist friends in the Soviet Union dumped 100s of tons of nuclear waste in the World's oceans. One account when the cannisters did not sink they punctured them so they filled with water and sunk. That was off the coast of Norway. I guess my concern is what is going on NOW and not so much about theories of what may happen 100 years from now. Not to mention that the whole GW scam is really just corporate welfare. Take cash from GM and give to Tesla kind of thing.

Boise and Vermont in the path of Fukishima radiation??

The cesium-137 found in milk in Vermont is the first cesium detected in milk since the Fukushima-Daichi nuclear accident occurred last month. The sample contained 1.9 picoCuries per liter of cesium-137, which falls under the same 3.0 standard.

Radioactive isotopes accumulate in milk after they spread through the atmosphere, fall to earth in rain or dust, and settle on vegetation, where they are ingested by grazing cattle. Iodine-131 is known to accumulate in the thyroid gland, where it can cause cancer and other thyroid diseases. Cesium-137 accumulates in the body’s soft tissues, where it increases risk of cancer, according to EPA.

Airborne contamination continues to cross the western states, the new data shows, and Boise has seen the highest concentrations of radioactive isotopes in rain so far.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2011/04/09/radiation-detected-in-drinking-water-in-13-more-us-cities-cesium-137-in-vermont-milk/

edited January 2014

Well, it's tied in because the pro-nukers tout nuclear as a clean energy source that will reduce GW emissions.

Pick your poison. B)

Sweden remained a net exporter of energy in 2013.

Autumn storms buffeted wind power generation. (thelocal.se)

Naturally, too much wind is a problem. :p (alaskadispatch.com)

Many would say Sweden has picked all three forms of generation poorly. Hydro and Nukes are on the Eco outs. Wind killing off eagles and bats are not so good. They make a big deal of their wind yet it is only 8% of their energy production. Nice they have excess to sell.

I think Clean Coal supported by Obama is the best route for the USA.

Obama has spent more than $1 billion on carbon-capture projects tied to oil fields and has pledged billions more for clean coal. Recently, the administration said it wanted to require all new coal-fired power plants to capture carbon dioxide. Four power plants in the U.S. and Canada planning to do so intend to sell their carbon waste for oil recovery.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/22/obama-oil_n_4489311.html

edited January 2014

Heh, could have sworn the NPR blurb I heard this morning said wind was almost 60% of Sweden's electrical production. Gotta start reading my own links lol. And not rely on my hearing before my 3rd cup of coffee.

I guess these will wind up killing ants. (Engadget)

The nuke stuff is even more difficult to get your head around that all the GW papers.

Speaking of the nuke stuff, I am also confused. The radioactivity is supposed to last thousands of years and render any area unusable. But we all know that Hiroshima was nuked only about 67 years ago, and now it is a thriving city and has been for some time. And all the people seem to be doing just fine. Same with Nagasaki.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited January 2014

One of the "anti" sites I skimmed a couple of weeks ago made a big deal about the post-Hiroshima cancer studies and how they cherry picked* the data to skew the results. I think they mean the joint study that doesn't look at exposure prior to 1958. Beats me. (rerf.jp)

*Sound familiar? B) .

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703

Why is it when one eagle or spotted owl get killed by a person, the Sierra and Greenpeace wackos go into a week-long tizzy (getting much help from the mainstream media, yet it seems that these giant wind turbines are killing birds by the 1000s and nobody cares...plus, wasn't it Ted Kennedy, when alive, who did not want wind turbines placed 6 MILES of the coast of Hyannisport, because it MIGHT interfere with his view while boating on his yacht (he couldn't change course by 15 degrees and simply not look?)...

Enviro-wackos are a most hypocritical bunch...at least from what I read...

@marsha7 said:
    Why is it when one eagle or spotted owl get killed by a person, the Sierra and Greenpeace wackos go into a week-long tizzy (getting much help from the mainstream media, yet it seems that these giant wind turbines are killing birds by the 1000s and nobody cares...plus, wasn't it Ted Kennedy, when alive, who did not want wind turbines placed 6 MILES of the coast of Hyannisport, because it MIGHT interfere with his view while boating on his yacht (he couldn't change course by 15 degrees and simply not look?)...

Enviro-wackos are a most hypocritical bunch...at least from what I read...

It is even worse than that. Obama signed a waiver giving Wind Farms a free ride on killing Eagles. All under the guise of fighting GW.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/12/11/president-obama-will-sacrifice-bald-eagles-to-fight-global-warming/

I was thinking it was RFK's son?

edited January 2014

@gagrice said: It is even worse than that. Obama signed a waiver giving Wind Farms a free ride on killing Eagles. All under the guise of fighting GW.

But there is no global warming that is caused by man. 

@imidazol97 said:

Possibly 1/100th of 1%, max.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    I was thinking it was RFK's son?

Sen. Ted Kennedy and many residents who own coastal property from where they could see the wind turbines on a clear day oppose the project along with some environmental groups concerned about disrupting the patterns of migratory birds and the potential effect on local sea life.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/10/19/environment-utilities-operations-capewin-idUSN1930289620071019

Still think the whole moving parts idea is dumb.

Good riddance to bad science. Maybe now we can start addressing the REAL problems mankind faces.

The EU's reputation as a model of environmental responsibility may soon be history. The European Commission wants to forgo ambitious climate protection goals and pave the way for fracking -- jeopardizing Germany's touted energy revolution in the process. The climate between Brussels and Berlin is polluted, something European Commission officials attribute, among other things, to the "reckless" way German Chancellor Angela Merkel blocked stricter exhaust emissions during her re-election campaign to placate domestic automotive manufacturers like Daimler and BMW. This kind of blatant self-interest, officials complained at the time, is poisoning the climate.

At the request of Commission President José Manuel Barroso, EU member states are no longer to receive specific guidelines for the development ofrenewable energy. The stated aim of increasing the share of green energy across the EU to up to 27 percent will hold. But how seriously countries tackle this project will no longer be regulated within the plan. As of 2020 at the latest -- when the current commitment to further increase the share of green energy expires -- climate protection in the EU will apparently be pursued on a voluntary basis.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/european-commission-move-away-from-climate-protection-goals-a-943664.html

edited January 2014

@gagrice, here's a good one for you. Even if you don't read the article (which doesn't mention AGW), be sure you click through to the photo from Big Lake that accompanies the story. :D

"It was another notable year for all-time heat records in 2013, with six nations and three territories tying or setting records for hottest temperature on record. No nations set an all-time cold record in 2013. For comparison, five countries and two territories set all-time hottest temperature records in 2012, and the most all-time national heat records in a year was twenty nations and one territory in 2010. Since 2010, 45 nations or territories have set or tied all-time heat records, but only one nation has set an all-time cold temperature record." (wunderground.com)

Weather Underground is a site that is always up on my computer. Do I believe what they post for my area? Not a chance. How do we know these temps are true and accurate. With the people recording the data being part of the political agenda. You cannot trust them. They question the 1913 Death Valley records. So why is it not reasonable to question the data we are being told today? I know their equipment in my area is sending them false data. How many thousands of sites are improperly located? As far as the Alaska data, I am sure the interior around Fairbanks has had 100+ days. 98 degrees at Fort Rich would be hot.

That said we are having some of the strangest weather this year I can remember. The last 3 weeks it has not gone below 50 degrees at night. It has also not gone over 73 degrees during the day. Out in the sun yes it has been hot. That is not ambient temperature. Yet Weather Underground has supposedly recorded several days over 80. I just don't trust anything the NWS says. They are paid to lie to US. Anyone goes against the agenda gets drummed out.

Not being able to tell the truth seems to be a big problem for the GW folks. They just seem to have to lie, embellish, and/or hide facts and data. I don't think many people take them seriously at this point. Once you become a convicted liar the game is over in my book.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@houdini1 said:
    Not being able to tell the truth seems to be a big problem for the GW folks. They just seem to have to lie, embellish, and/or hide facts and data.

Sounds like many of our politicians these days. :grin

I was watching a story about the cooling we've been having the last 10 years. And they predict a cooling cycle for something like 30 more?

Sunspots are the main determinant of the Earth's random walk of temperatures.

They showed the Great Lakes and how much ice there is currently.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=129791
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shipping-challenges-coast-guard-clearing-iced-over-channels/

@SteveR: has the Superior frozen? With all this GW nonsense being so wrong, you may be able to walk across it to Canada before spring this year. Or drive your Subaru across.

edited January 2014

The bays "typically" freeze (and some of the bays are big). Right now the snow berms along the shore road are so high I can't see the lake. We're into tunnel vision mode. Ordinarily I can see Canada from my house. B)

Usually we can find a snowmachine track to gain access to the beach for walking but haven't seen any this year. Anyway, the shore ice varies depending on the wind; my guess is that it varies from ~15 feet to a quarter mile. "Total" freezing happens about once a decade but the definition of frozen over isn't solid. (climate.umn.edu)

The wolves of Isle Royale might be watching the ice - Wolf researchers keeping an eye on a potential ice bridge to Isle Royale (michiganradio.org)

And there's this - "Even solar activity, which waxes and wanes on fairly regular 11-year cycles, has been found to play a rather minimal role in recent global warming." (discovery.com). I found the recent el Niño stories interesting, for example. (natureworldnews.com)

@Stever@Edmunds said:

The wolves of Isle Royale might be watching the ice - Wolf researchers keeping an eye on a potential ice bridge to Isle Royale (michiganradio.org)

Why don't they just kill off the last 8 and make some nice parkas to sell at the gift shop. Or stop wasting money and trap and drop some new blood into the line. Maybe they ate all the available food. I think this answers the question more than the above article.

The ecological study of wolves on Isle Royale is the longest running large mammal predator-prey study on earth. The park celebrated the study's 50th anniversary in 2008. Research has show that all members of the Isle Royale wolf population have descended from a single female, who arrived during the late 1940s. This intense level of inbreeding has led to a 50 % loss of genetic variability within the population today. Genetic information also suggest that the island's moose population is most closely related to moose in northwestern Minnesota, perhaps challenging the long-held idea that moose swam across the lake to reach Isle Royale. Did humans bring them here?

http://www.nps.gov/isro/naturescience/index.htm

@gagrice, I think that hands off approach is a big part of the study and lots of the biologists don't want to "interfere".

"Tens of thousands of black brant geese now flock to the Arctic coast to munch marsh-loving vegetation growing along shorelines of thawed permafrost no longer safeguarded from saltwater storm surges by sea ice, according to new U.S. Geological Survey research announced Tuesday."

Research: Climate change good for Arctic geese (adn.com)

This discussion has been closed.