Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031

@imidazol97 said:

When I read using my Bookmarked or Participated topics, the new forum is taking me to the first new post. I.e., on this topic it showed me your post at the top of my page and showed anything below it.

Are you using Bookmarks?

It isn't a Bookmarks question, but the style of the navigation. As was said, the old s/w would show you (for example) all 12 new posts on one screen. Depending on how they fall in this new s/w, you might see only the first 4, and have to go to the next page for the other 8, etc. If you are not in the habit of checking to see if you are on the last page you might miss those.

BTW, I found another strange thing. I thought the Bookmarks list would show all the discussions with new posts all grouped together at the top. But I follow "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" and it is always buried below a few discussions that do not have new posts in them. I've missed it a few times because I don't scroll down far enough. That's gotta be a bug.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

@ab348 said:
    Depending on how they fall in this new s/w, you might see only the first 4, and have to go to the next page for the other 8, etc.

The old forums would show new posts on one page (I don't recall how many it would set up to handle). If there more carried over on another page, those would shown after you hit "Read New Posts" either immediately or after some other subscribed forums.

@ab348 said:
    BTW, I found another strange thing. I thought the Bookmarks list would show all the discussions with new posts all grouped together at the top.

I think it did that at first.

@ab348 said:
    But I follow "Stories From the Sales Frontlines" and it is always buried below a few discussions that do not have new posts in them.

I asked the Help Desk about that and received the explanation that it has been marked in some way that it's not being put in the order chronologically of topics with new posts. Instead it's being allowed to "sink" lower in the listings. The reason given was that it's an off topic kind of forum, rather than being hard core automotive in nature. I have paraphrased the explanation.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@imidazol97 said:
    I asked the Help Desk about that and received the explanation that it has been marked in some way that it's not being put in the order chronologically of topics with new posts. Instead it's being allowed to "sink" lower in the listings. The reason given was that it's an off topic kind of forum, rather than being hard core automotive in nature. I have paraphrased the explanation.

That seems a rather strange rationale.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@imidazol97 said:
    Are you using Bookmarks

The "trick" is that with the new forums, ALL the posts are "new" to you as I discovered when I tried to track down all the discussions I follow. Fortunately, going to the last page of the discussion makes that discussion "marked as read" and you'll go to new posts the next time there are any.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Can someone tell me how these long dead topics are now showing up? Stock Market and Investing is a good example. No new posts in YEARS!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

There's new posts on the last page. Click on the highest page number and that'll catch everything up in that discussion (that "marks everything read").

OK, will try that!

• craskobcraskob Member Posts: 1

The forums are looking great! Good job!

• divinodivino Member Posts: 3

Looking forward to participating in this new forum.

@divino said:
    Looking forward to participating in this new forum.

Glad you like the new digs. If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to ask any of the moderators. That's part of why we're here!

OK, so now, under My Drafts I have one that was sent to Uplander in the Studebaker Forum.

Except I never wrote those words nor did I respond to him. ????

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@isellhondas - that's weird. Just delete those and let us know if they reappear, or if any mystery drafts reappear.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

For those with inaccurate join dates: Check out your profiles now! B)

edited January 2014

Wow, I've been here since 1945.

In my profile, I've just earned the Ancient Membership badge.

Pretty much fits. :D

I appreciate that but I actually started in 1996 not 1998. Does this mean I'm fully vested and I get 5 weeks of vacation pay?

edited January 2014

Back in those days, we had a two year probation period, so no credit for that. And no vacations, take your smartphone and keep posting. B)

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Back in those days, we had a two year probation period. No vacations, take your smartphone and keep posting.

You sure as heck didn't have a smartphone in 1998. You had to walk to Edmunds, through the rain and snow, uphill both ways, to make a post. ;)

edited January 2014

lol (and sad to say, I still don't have a smartphone). Welcome to the Ancient Member club (maybe we can lobby to change that to "seasoned" members).

@isellhondas, before my time but if you look at the Wayback Machine, apparently you had to send in your comments to Town Hall by mail by in '96 (email I assume, lol).

I think we need to make a Prehistoric Member badge just for you. :D

I'm not as ancient as some, but then again, it's not the years, but the mileage that counts :p

@isellhondas said:
    I appreciate that but I actually started in 1996 not 1998. Does this mean I'm fully vested and I get 5 weeks of vacation pay?

The date was determined from the first comment you posted in the Forums.

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222

That might happen if you hit the quote button but don't post anything. Then, when you leave the forum or head to another discussion, the quote turns into a draft. It's happened to me a few times.

@isellhondas said:
    OK, so now, under My Drafts I have one that was sent to Uplander in the Studebaker Forum.

Except I never wrote those words nor did I respond to him. ????

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

G'day

Suddenly, I have more badges than a Cub Scout!

It must be some compensation for my incompetence at ball catching when I was a real Cub!

Cheers

Graham

• grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140

I'm not comfortable that when i sign out of site,i'm really signed out.
    Sorry,but the old site was more easier to navagate.

honda

@grampy1 said:
    I'm not comfortable that when i sign out of site,i'm really signed out.
    Sorry,but the old site was more easier to navagate.

honda

You can simply not sign out. I generally don't and come back to the forums from a Favorites link and I'm signed in. On the occasions that I actually do sign out, yes, I'm signed out.

Heh... if feels like I'm telling the old joke... Doc, it hurts when I do this... B)

@Claire@Edmunds said:
    That might happen if you hit the quote button but don't post anything. Then, when you leave

the forum or head to another discussion, the quote turns into a draft. It's happened to me a few times.

Well, I went there and deleted those words that I didn't write but it still shows that I have a draft and the words are back. No big deal I suppose.>

@isellhondas said:

Well, I went there and deleted those words that I didn't write but it still shows that I have a draft and the words are back.

Did you go into "Drafts" in your navigation box on the right side? IIRC, it lists your drafts on the left side of the page. Then I moused over the draft and got a gear icon in the top right. Using that gear tool, I could delete the draft.

Good luck!

Done! Thank, you! I didn't see a gear but there was an X there that I clicked on and, poof, no more draft. I do wonder how it got there in the first place since I didn't write those words.

Drafts were a teeny bit confusing for me at first too. If you start typing, you have them after a short period of time. (A little pop up notification appears) If you post, they go away. If you don't, you can go back to them later and finish them, or delete as you see fit.

• wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582

So how do we Logoff? The 'Logoff' in the upper right hand screen doesn't work.

Wilcox??? is it really you? Long time no see!

RE: sign out - There's a problem with that at the moment. It's been reported.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

Suddenly, I have more badges than a Cub Scout!

That is because your "Join Date" has been corrected... hence the appropriate badges have been issued.

Had to log in this morning for the first time since November. Surprised me.

@ab348 said:
    Had to log in this morning for the first time since November. Surprised me.

I had to login on one of my computers this morning as well, but I don't remember if I had logged off the last time I used that one.

edited January 2014

@ab348 said: Had to log in this morning for the first time since November. Surprised me.

I haven't had any log in problems since the new format. It's a refreshing change; with the older software, there would be days where I was repeated logging in.

AND we've not had any shut down days with the software nor any days where we're getting unformatted versions of the postings. Life is good with the new software. But there are a few features I miss. And some new ones I like.

Only time I had to log in since was when I did a cleanup (Cleanup!) of old cookies, prefetch, temp files. That apparently deleted the necessary cookie for my usual log in on my Bookmarks link.

In the past, I wondered if Win XP/IE does a cleanup every few months. I get my icons on my desktop rearranged and I didn't knowingly do anything to move them. I've wondered if XP does a cleanup of the cookies when it reaches a time or full folder limit.

Ah, I love it when my computer tries to "help" me :D

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited January 2014

@imidazol97 said:

In the past, I wondered if Win XP/IE does a cleanup every few months. I get my icons on my desktop rearranged and I didn't knowingly do anything to move them. I've wondered if XP does a cleanup of the cookies when it reaches a time or full folder limit.

OK, I'm going to be "that guy" - you may want to upgrade from Win XP, with support going away it'll become less and less secure, hate to have the folks that got Target and NM after you!

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370

I can't get the helpers for_ italics _and **bold ** to work reliably. Am I missing a step?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited January 2014

testing italics testing bold
    testing_italic_testing**bold **

Interesting. Worked for me.

Edit: OK, it looks like you need to leave a space between the last letter of the regular text and the underscore for italics (or stars for bold). Also, you can't leave a space between the last letter of the intended text and the underscore (or stars). Looks like yours has some lack of spaces and spaces where they shouldn't be. Try editing your post.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    edited January 2014

Thanks, didn't realize I wasn't spacing

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited February 2014

There are a couple of tracked discussions on my list that are giving me an error, saying "You don't have permission to do that," when I try to click on them to view new posts.

Subaru Forester Windshield Cracks

How Does Gas at $4 and Higher Impact You?

Does this issue manifest for anyone else?

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

@xwesx said:
    There are a couple of tracked discussions on my list that are giving me an error, saying "You don't have permission to do that," when I try to click on them to view new posts.

I'm getting the same error when I click on your links.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@xwesx said:

Hmmm, that's weird. I'm getting the same result. Do you have any other bookmarked discussions that are behaving this way? Have you recently accessed those with no trouble? Just trying to figure out if there is time line to follow.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited February 2014

I am thinking that those URLs are just stale. Notice they have "/x/x/" in them which does not appear to be valid for the webserver. (Compare those URLs to known-good ones within the Edmunds forums)

I could "make up" 100s of URLs which produce the same results. (I am not suggesting that the OP did this on purpose.... but URLs are known to become stale from time to time)

edited February 2014

Well, I "tracked" them when we first switched to this format, and I seem to recall writing on the windshield one either shortly before or just after the move. Of the 55 discussions I have on my tracked list, these two are the only ones that do this.

I imagine one could surf to them through the forum structure as well to independently test. I have not done that.

I think peebles may be on to something with the double-x in the URL, as that section generally contains the forum structure. For example, this discussion's link includes: /general/x/welcome-to-edmunds-forums#latest when I linked in to it to read new posts. Other posts, such as "2014 Subaru Forester," replace the first two layers above to display as: /subaru/forester/2014-subaru-forester#latest.

So, I'm not sure how /x/x/ could be valid since it would say that these are, essentially, unstructured discussions. Discussions in the base directory of a particular make or section contain that second /x/ (such as /general/x/ or /subaru/x/), but I don't see how the structure would accommodate discussions without a first categorization, which is what the first /x/ implies.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Also, what happened to the "insightful" button at the bottom of posts? Did that get replaced by "like?"

edited February 2014

Yes, Insightful was swapped for "Like".

We noticed the $4 a gallon discussion issue back in mid-December and the reporting of it got lost in the shuffle I guess. That was the only one we knew about until you mention the cracked windshield one. There could be another wild one or two still out there that didn't make the transition to the new software for some reason..

All fixed! Let us know if you come across any more like this.

@Karen@Edmunds said:
    All fixed! Let us know if you come across any more like this.

Sweet! Thanks for the fix!

• boyceboyce Member Posts: 48

I have Stories from the Sales Frontlines bookmarked. On my bookmark page it shows the last post was Jan 14 and does not show any new posts since then. However there have been many posts since that date but they have not highlighted on my bookmark page. Please help, it is my favorite forum. Thanks.

2015 Mazda 3 Skyactive 6spd. auto 2008 Mazda Tribute S 4spd auto.