Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Subaru Forester

Comments

• I have had mine for about 1 month. The engine in mine is extremely smooth even at idle. In fact, I can hardly tell it is running. It has about 1000 miles on it now. Just had the front side windows and moon roof tinted at the dealer( 35%). My Forester is one of the quietest cars I have ever owned and rides better, is quieter, and seems more solid than the CRV we tested before choosing the Forester, not on price, but on what we liked best. It is as quiet as our 2010 V70 Volvo, but not as "plush". I have not noticed anything at all about the steering wheel alignment mentioned . As for the ticking noise, you never know what people put into their engines for oil or the oil filter used.
  • barnowlbarnowl Posts: 18
    ....may not be a mechanical "ticking" sound. It might be engine knocking or pinging. The sense I have of those posts are that the people posting may be in the Rocky Mountain region at Mile High Altitude and where Regular Gas is 85 Octane.

I recently had an Outback Rental Car in Denver and thought I noticed some engine knock in parking lots at low speed i.e. low rpm. Hard to say for sure as it disappeared as soon as the RPM's increased....and it had to be a fairly quiet area....but I thought of those posts when I wondered if I was hearing engine knock.
  • laszlo9laszlo9 Posts: 36
    I agree with >gmwalters< 100%. It is the smoothest car I have ever had. At idle it is like a limousine, absolute no vibration or it is so minimal that I think I will try to do the test of putting a quarter on its edge on the dash to see if it would stay. Apparently it has fluid engine supports and not rubber blocks. As for the noise try a tank full of mid grade and/or high test fuel. If you still have a knock take tghe car back to the dealer and complain. If you don't and still want to use regular gas have the timing adjusted by the dealer for the lower octane fuel. You will loose performance an the account of cost /gallon.
  • laszlo9laszlo9 Posts: 36
    edited October 2013
    Well as for smoothness. I have started up my car yesterday and it has been raining for about 12 hours. Imediatly I placed a Canadian $2.00 coin on the dash on its edge (I tested the coin on the table first that it can stand on its edge) The engine was running about 2000 RPM than went down to about 1200 I started to push it up to about 2200 and let the pedal go. The coin was still standing. I have taken pictures of it but have no idea how can I post them
  • At around 4400 miles my '14 XT's getting 25.7 mpg for combination city/highway. Considering the older '09 XT usually got 24 mpg for same driving, and had 25 less HP, the '14's a definite improvement.

The I-S-S# calibration selections definitely alter CVT characteristics, with I the most relaxed and S# the most aggressive wrt tip-in and shift response. The CVT's far nicer than the old 4 speed auto, and the paddle shifters really help manage engine braking as well as responsiveness.

Yeah, I know enthusiasts want a manual with the turbo, but apparently only 5 - 6% of all Forester sales are turbos, and manuals were only about 25% of those, not enough sales to justify the manual.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,645
    In what mode do you typically keep your XT, kurt? 25.7 is a great average, esp. if you've been doing local miles that whole time!
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Named the single most reliable new car in Consumer Reports' surveys:

http://youtu.be/qySWaTGkHSo?t=1m11s
  • Usually Intelligent mode, but in heavy traffic I'll briefly switch to sport mode for better responsiveness.
  • I've been driving my new 2014 Forester 2.5i Premium CVT for a week now.

No off-road experience yet.

It looks like my average MPG will be around 28-30 with about 80% freeway driving, 20% city/local. This is with a feather-light foot on the gas.

By contrast, I got that same MPG in my 2007 Impreza 2.5i 5M while flogging it like a rented mule.

The Forester is much quieter and smoother than the Impreza. The Impreza had a larger, more supportive and comfortable seat bottom; the Forester has a more comfortable and supportive seat back.

Favorite features to date: back-up camera, auto-dimming mirrors, heated seats, electronic information display, Blue Tooth phone sync.

Least favorite features to date: seat bottom

Observations on the CVT: In 40 years of driving, this is the first automobile I've owned with an automatic transmission. I think it is very well sorted out and so far haven't been missing the manual transmission, especially since the manual shifter in the Forester is so spongy.
  • Just finished a 250 mile drive on I-81 in Virginia into the blue ridge region, this is not flat folks, and a fully loaded trunk. Filled up and zeroed the trip and avg mileage indicator before I left. Ended up at 37.5 mpg with cruise control close to speed limit. I continue to be amazed at this vehicle.
  • Here is my test with the coin. And there is no trick. You can try it yourself but check if the coin will stand on the table first because some of them are rounded off from use. http://imageshack.com/i/5m2qywj
  • That is a really neat demonstration. Thanks for sharing the pic.
  • To better handle ice this winter my '14 XT's stock tires were traded for Nokian WRG2 SUV's (sadly, the superior WRG3 is not available for the 14 XT's 18" wheels, but is for base Foresters).

Ride's slightly stiffer, road noise might be slightly higher. Impact harshness seems about the same.
    For proof how bad stock tires are, visit "fastlanecar.com" on the web and watch their '14 XT snowy misadventure (the Bridgestone Duellers are awful :surprise: ).
  • Which Forester's have the LED's inside the headlight housings? I've seen review videos where 2014 Forester have LED lights inside the headlight housings. These are factory installed, not aftermarket LED. None at the local dealership have these and Suabru only shows the out dated DTR's on the exterior pics. Even the pictures of the Forester on Edmunds show the LED lights. Anyone have the scoop on this? Thank you.

• The HID equipped'14 Foresters are the ones with LED's. Other '14 Foresters make do with halogen and other incandescent lighting. BTW, overseas Forester XT's have additional lighting inside the black vertical strips up front. Lamp sockets are present and unused. For unknown reasons Subaru did not offer that lighting for USA.

• @jjdphotography said: Which Forester's have the LED's inside the headlight housings? I've seen review videos where 2014 Forester have LED lights inside the headlight housings. These are factory installed, not aftermarket LED. None at the local dealership have these and Suabru only shows the out dated DTR's on the exterior pics. Even the pictures of the Forester on Edmunds show the LED lights. Anyone have the scoop on this? Thank you.

From cars101.com:

"only the Touring model with HIDs has the LED lights, part of the optional Eyesight package. The LEDs are on with all lights except daytime running lights.. 2.5i shown with silver interior bezel. All 2.0XTs have black interior bezel"

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2014photos1.html

• jjdphotographyjjdphotography Posts: 9
    edited December 2013

Thanks to you both for the info! That cars101 link is really nice! I'll sit back and wait on the 15's as I am not interested in leather. Perhaps the "Eyesight Package" will be available on all models. Also, a lot of complaints about the placement of the back up camera in the smaller screen and base audio systems muffled sound. Definitely enough reasons for me to keep my money in my pocket another year.

ADDED: Are the headlight housings interchangeable? I would definitely consider purchasing the HIDs / headlight housings and installing after purchase. Oh, I would hate to tear a brand new car down for this, but would do so as I definitely would want the OEM HID's / LEDS. Thanks again.

• albert72albert72 Posts: 141

For all of you with the 2014 Forester's, are you satisfied with your CVT transmission.

Is the Forester CVT the same unit that has been used in the Outback? I like the Forester but with any new model, first year is more likely to have issues.

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685

0 to 60 time for the Forester is notably less than the Outback...each with a CVT but the same engine specification. With not very different weights, that suggests there could be a difference in the CVTs. I'm not referring to the Foresster XT's different higher torque rating CVT.

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,478

@saedave said: 0 to 60 time for the Forester is notably less than the Outback...each with a CVT but the same engine specification. With not very different weights, that suggests there could be a difference in the CVTs. I'm not referring to the Foresster XT's different higher torque rating CVT.

Is the Outback 0-60 time based on the CVT in D(rive) mode or is it in M(anual) using paddle shifters? Remember, Forester non-XT models do not have M mode or paddle shifters.

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685

Consumer Reports' measurements are in drive mode, I believe. Of course final drive ratio could be different except that Forester also gets outstanding highway mpg in their tests.

Could the drag coefficient of the higher Forester actually be better than the Outback?...seems unlikely.

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,749

Subaru apparently made improvements to the CVT for the regular '14 Forester, and a new short-pitched chain CVT model for both XT and (tweaked) upcoming WRX). The CVT in my '14 XT works well and relatively quietly, with little of the "rubber band" characteristics of early CVT's. 3 selectable driving modes let you choose responsiveness. Intelligent mode's "laid back", with gradual throttle response and tendency to keep engine revs low. Sport mode lets CVT rev higher and more responsively.. Sport Sharp keeps CVT hold a given gear longer as it pretends it's an 8 speed auto. IMHO Sport seems the best compromise for all but the most aggressive driving. Also, during warmup CVT keeps engine RPM's higher.

• fandangofandango Posts: 18

I got a 2014 Forester Premium CVT a few months ago and have put on almost 5k miles so far of 80/20 highway driving. Here are a few observations:

I'm averaging just over 30 mpg based on fuel purchases. The dashboard information display shows mileage to be slightly better than it actually is.

The CVT works well so far. I'm pleasantly surprised and quite pleased. However, I haven't really had it any seriously steep or rough situations where AWD was required.

My only complaints are very minor irritations, such as:

The design looks front-heavy and "jowly" to me, and the angle of approach is less than it should be for a vehicle like this.

The front seats are smaller than the seats of an Impreza, without any side support but with an aggressive lumbar support. It's comfortable...but not as comfortable as it could be.

When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls. After awhile this is annoying and there's no way to adjust the seat to avoid it.

Finally, the front seats are just a little too far from the door. This makes it awkward to rest one's arm or elbow on the window sill. The arm rests on either side are at a good height and distance, but if you're used to resting an arm out the window or on the window sill, this feels a little awkward to me in this car.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,574

@fandango said: When relaxed in a relaxed position, my left knee rests against the door and hits a sharp edge by the window controls.

That's an issue in my '97 Outback too. Keep meaning to tape some foam to that spot. Good review, thanks.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• groovingdgroovingd OKPosts: 5
    Hey I'm new here and I'm on the market for a 2014 forester 2.5i base and I read online about that owners have trouble with the oil consumption which shouldn't be happening on a new car . Anyone read about it or dealing,with that ?
    thanks in advance
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,645

This car has the same engine as was introduced in the 2011 MY, so if such a problem exists, it should be fairly well documented at this point. There is always going to be a consumption range from one engine to the next, and it will depend slightly on the user's oil properties as well.

I'm very pleased that my engine, which is a 2010 EJ rather than FB engine, generally runs the entire OCI without the need for topping off. I run my OCIs at 10-15,000 miles. I expected that I should need to add some oil every 4-5,000 from past experiences with Subaru.

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Ok yeah I understand that . I remember reading that on carcomplaints.com about the 2014 from about 5 or 6 owners . But I guess it is negligible in the pool of 2014 owners.
    I'm going to test drive the base model , the XT and the XV Thursday.
    we shall see.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,889

@groovingd

let us know your thoughts on the Forester & XV!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

null
    I certainly will :)