Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero Starting-Stalling Problems

1101112131416»

Comments

• conley3conley3 Posts: 1

I have a 2003 Olds Alero 2.2 ecotech. I have had trouble with the security system and have had to reset it by turning the key on for 10min. I always works for me. Last week my car would not start, it turned over and wanted to fire, but just wouldn't go. I had the battery checked and replaced, still the same thing, then I changed the spark plugs thinking it was flooded, still no change! I read some comments here and checked the fuel regulator, it was good, there was fuel pressure in the rails. I finally took the fuel relay out and started the car to run fuel out, then reconnected the relay and the car fired right up! Thank you to everyone who posts on here, it gave me ideas of what to weed out to find the issue.

• tim618tim618 Posts: 0

This is tbs10 not sure why but i couldn't sign in under that name- anyway I have an update with my alero stalling problem- it seems to be fixed! After changing the fuel regulator it still stalled, changed the battery, it still stalled, also changed the IAC valve. Finally Daniel said to change the ignition switch and that was it! Runs fine now and test drove for over an hour and no stalls, it was stalling between 20-25 minutes of drive time. Thank you so much for your input and I am so relieved to have this issue taken care of (knock on wood). In the last 6 months i have dumped parts in this car, and while I get great deals on parts (25-40% off) i was getting annoyed that the problem wasn't fixed. Things this car got the last 6 months:

battery fuel filter spark plugs crankshaft position sensor tires fuel pump idle air control valve fuel regulator air filter brakes/rotors/calipers front wheel hubs shocks/struts starter tie rod ends ignition module ignition switch

With all this I am hoping it will last another 100,000 miles with all the new parts.

Thanks again!

• gculpexgculpex Posts: 1

tim618/tbs10 I got over 300,00 miles on my 2003 2.2L without half the stuff you replaced. Still, I'm very lucky to get this far.

• wvpipvwwvpipvw Posts: 1

I am having some difficulties with my 04 Alero. I think is is the security system but doesn't sound exactly like anyone else's problems.

It is 2004 3.4 V6. The car starts fine cold and will drive for approximately 15-20 min and then while driving it shuts down. It will not restart for 30-50 min. No codes are thrown and the security light doesn't come on.

Any help is much appreciated thanks!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,591

That doesn't sound like a security issue actually. Not every component in a car throws a code, especially fuel system components. What you'll have to do to solve this is have you or a technician jump right on the car while it is misbehaving, to determine the cause of the no-start when it occurs. This might include a spark tester, fuel pressure gauge, NOID light (for injector pulse) and VOM meter.

• jamessc56jamessc56 Posts: 2

My Oldsmobile alero will stop working while I am driving it. This has happened to me twice now, even though it has at least half a tank of gas in it. Eventually, it will start back up, but I really don't want this to happen when I am on the way to work one day. When it stops, it usually takes 20+ minutes before it will start again. After this happens, the car will work fine for a couple of weeks, then it happens again. Also, some of the dashboard lights are always on, but the dealership told me that they couldn't turn them off but not to worry about it. Anyone else have a similar problem, and find a way to fix it?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,591

Sounds like you need to go to a mechanic who knows what he's doing---scan the car for trouble codes or, better yet, take the car and see if he can make it happen so that he can betteer diagnose it.