Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@stickguy said:
    It's German?

I count that in the Accord's favor...

• @akirby said:
    You don't get desensitized - it's not distracting. Besides all the other points you can't argue with the fact that Lane Watch only works on one side of the vehicle. It doesn't work at all on the left side and I change lanes to my left just as much as to my right.

Yes, but the car is in the way when looking to the right. Looking left I/you/we have no blind spot.

• @akirby said:
    So how does the mfr control whether the alcohol evaporates from the end of the nozzles? Or whether you're using washer fluid with antifreeze at all? If the car doesn't have heated washers then it's up to you to make sure they don't freeze, not the mfr.

It's winter, and the dealer topped off my windshield washer fluid using fluid provided by Kia. I have never used my own fluid, since I take the car in for oil changes and inspection every three months.

I bet the Mercedes S class has heated washer nozzles, but hey...at least I don't have a clown face dash to look at.

LOL.

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

@cski said:
    Yes, but the car is in the way when looking to the right. Looking left I/you/we have no blind spot.

Of course you have a blind spot on the left side. There are blind spots on both sides of the vehicle. If you adjust your mirrors properly you can eliminate the blind spot. And when you turn your head and look you can see if there is a car in the blind spot on either side - which I still do even with BLIS and with having my mirrors adjusted properly. These aids are just extra insurance - not a substitute.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014

**@ahightower said:
    Well. Fascinating as the blind spot debate has been, let me throw out something new. Just saw the press release for the Passat Sport.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/09/2014-vw-passat-sport-26475-pricing

Let's discuss Accord Sport vs Passat Sport. My observations:

-Accord is almost $3K cheaper.

-Passat has leather(ette?) to Accord's cloth (if leatherette, I'd prefer cloth, and the Sport's cloth is an upgrade from the LX/EX cloth (which was also upgraded for MY 2014 although I haven't seen it in person yet)).

-Passat 170 hp, 184 lb/ft. Accord 189 hp, 182 lb/ft.

-Accord manual is 6-speeds to Passat's 5-spd, and universally considered among the best MT available.

-Accord Sport does have a few extra hp vs LX/EX, due to upgraded exhaust. And it has a tightened suspension. While certainly no "sports car", it's more deserving of the Sport appelation than the Passat which appears to be entirely cosmetic touches.

-Both are sadly lacking in color choices (gray, white, or silver for Passat SPort, whereas Accord Sport can be any color unless you want the MT, in which case it's either gray or black.)

-IMHO, the Passat needed that 250 hp they teased to be compelling at this price. Or else, the Accord Sport is just a super bargain.

What other features and specs has the Passat to justify its premium?

Are you sure you don't want to talk about blind spots more? ;)

The Accord Sport is the best car value on the market, period. It is not just me that thinks that. Car and Drivers' ten best issue did as well. You may want to contemplate the Mazda 6 Touring. as well, which also made the 10 best list. The 6 is a VERY competitive car, with competitive specs, and (marginally) better handling than either the Accord and the Passat. Really the Accord is the bargain here though. I would love to have a blue one with the M/T if you are listening Honda!!

The Passat still looks like a bread box, but I have to admit that the sport model looks nice and more like the 3.6 SEL. The 1.8 turbo will leave you wanting in the power department however. Also, it offers only 5 manual cogs vs the 6-speeds in the Asian cars. The Passat is an older (comparatively) design than either of the others. 170 hp is just not enough for a car this size. Driving in this area, I would have to keep the revs up too much, which kills MPG.

For example, I really like the smooth power delivery in my 2.4 liter (Optima EX) and with the 6 speed auto, and 200 hp is just right for a 3200 lb car.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@cski said:
    For example, I really like the smooth power delivery in my 2.4 liter (Optima EX) and with the 6 speed auto, and 200 hp is just right for a 3200 lb car.

I think the Passat Sport "looks" the best. Those 19" wheels certainly look expensive and probably contribute to the higher price. I think the blacked out roof and mirrors give it a very nice look overall.

I'm probably the only one, but I don't care for the Accord design. It just looks like an old design to me. The Mazda 6 and Fusion are tops in design.

I do however have issues with a "Sport" badge that does not include any sport upgrades. Lower springs...stiffer, a slight boost in the turbo would go a long way in legitimizing the badging. An APR chip would probably fix the engine side of the "sport"...if one were so inclined...

• garythesnailgarythesnail Member Posts: 7

"Mazda6: Despite getting redesigned for the 2014 model year, a re-engineered Mazda6 is scheduled to arrive in late 2014 or early 2015 with a new interior and updated front fascia.

Since the debut this year, the redesigned Mazda6's interior has been criticized by some as bland. Sources say the new interior will include new gauges, instrument clusters, materials, center stack design and seating surfaces, as well as a version of the connectivity and infotainment system in the upcoming Mazda3. The new interior's overall aesthetic will be similar to that of the 2014 Mazda3, but more refined to help the mid-sized sedan keep its place atop the hierarchy of Mazda's cars."

Let's hope they dump that stupid leatherette (vinyl) seating material on the Touring model.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited January 2014

@garythesnail
    Usually when adding quotes one references the source. Where did you read read this? I was at my Mazda dealer yesterday and they said pretty much nothing was changing on the 6 for the 2015 model year. I was just in for service and shooting the bull with the service manager so it wasn't some salesman trying to sell the 2014 model. But it wouldn't be the first time a dealer was just not up to speed on the latest and greatest. But if you're source is right and it doesn't arrive until early 2015, it would probably be a 2016 model. Tks.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    edited January 2014

just read the autoblog preview on the passat sport, and it repeatedly said it came with a 6 speed manual.

also, anyone know if that roof opens, or is it just some sort of fixed smoked glass?

and maybe it is just me, but I can't stand those 19" wheels. Look very mis-proportioned to me. Like bad aftermarket "dubs".

17" wheels would be more than big enough to me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259

I find the BLIS / Lanewatch topics quite interesting. It makes me wonder how people managed to get from point A to point B all these years without them. I seem to have done so for 40 years of accident-free driving. It makes me wonder if the idea behind driverless cars is because the technology will be there to do it or if it is because people are too lazy to drive their own cars or if it will be because people are too dumb to drive.

• @stickguy said:
    just read the autoblog preview on the passat sport, and it repeatedly said it came with a 6 speed manual.

also, anyone know if that roof opens, or is it just some sort of fixed smoked glass?

and maybe it is just me, but I can't stand those 19" wheels. Look very mis-proportioned to me. Like bad aftermarket "dubs".

I think the rims look good...they match the car pretty well. I don't like the 170 hp in such a big car. If I am going German, I want the 2.0T in the Golf GTI. $25 or $27,500 with the sport seats and in dash GPS.

• @explorerx4 said:
    My wife's Escape has BLIS, which is useful....

It sounds like some sort of automotive Xanax. We should ALL have blis...blis is your friend. Escape with blis! :o

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952

Have the same 2.4 engine in my Hyundai Tuscon and agree with the statement about it's smoothness and refinement...it is that and more, a real pleasure to drive. Sure it's thirstier then what I have been used to but I understood this going in and the trade-off is worth it to me. An hopefully the mileage numbers will go up some once it gets past 5k on the clock. With just over 2k on it now, I still have a ways to go. But I am enjoying the ride!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited January 2014

@sandman_6472 said:
    Have the same 2.4 engine in my Hyundai Tuscon and agree with the statement about it's smoothness and refinement...it is that and more, a real pleasure to drive. Sure it's thirstier then what I have been used to but I understood this going in and the trade-off is worth it to me. An hopefully the mileage numbers will go up some once it gets past 5k on the clock. With just over 2k on it now, I still have a ways to go. But I am enjoying the ride!

The Sandman :)B)

I find that at 3/4 throttle gives me the most satisfying acceleration. The torque just kind of slings it through the gears smoothly and it feels like it has a ton more power in reserve.... they really nailed it on the smooth powertrain. I think they did a on the Optima, and it sure has nice duds to wrap it all up in. The chassis is certainly adequate, but it lacks a true sporty feeling.
    With a little more suspension experience, Honda and Toyota should be very worried.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@stickguy said:

Yeah...autoblog said 6 spd manual. I think the other mags say 5spd, and the current Passat manual is 5spd so it's probably a 5spd.

I love the 19"s :) that alone would sway me...heh, go figure.

I think it's just a regular roof...just black.

On topic for this thread, had a text from my SIL earlier (I am her "go to guy" for all things automotive. Go figure...) Anyway, she had some relative that needed a car and she wanted options. The to topic part, they wanted a mid sized sedan!

criteria seemed to be 1) cheap, and 2) anything else. In terms of a good lease price, nothing down. Foreign or domestic. Currently driving a well-worn Corolla (so yeah, bar set real low).

Gave them Camry and Sonata as probably the 2 best basic options with a low lease price now. With the Fusion a contender. And the mazda 6 as the one I liked, but likely to cost more!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited January 2014

You probably aren't going to get a Fusion lease as cheap and a Camry, without putting down a pretty good down payment, which you want to avoid, if possible.
    I'm letting mother nature wash the Fusion today. First time it's been above freezing in a while.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

@wayne21 said:
    I find the BLIS / Lanewatch topics quite interesting. It makes me wonder how people managed to get from point A to point B all these years without them. I seem to have done so for 40 years of accident-free driving. It makes me wonder if the idea behind driverless cars is because the technology will be there to do it or if it is because people are too lazy to drive their own cars or if it will be because people are too dumb to drive.

I suppose you don't need seatbelts either by that logic..

Not remotely the same logic.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Actually it's surprising how many people still don't use their seatbelts....about 15%. Given that perhaps 5% of any given population is clinically insane, that still doesn't explain the 10% who make that choice rationally.

I try to break down optional accessories into 3 categories when I'm shopping for a car:

1. Essential
    2. Useful
    3. One More Expensive Thing to Break Just Out of Warranty

_Actually it's surprising how many people still don't use their seatbelts....about 15%. Given that perhaps 5% of any given population is clinically insane, that still doesn't explain the 10% who make that choice rationally.

I try to break down optional accessories into 3 categories when I'm shopping for a car:
    1.Essential
    2.Useful
    3.One More Expensive Thing to Break Just Out of Warranty

I pretty much do the same. And although my original question was a rhetorical one I did get an answer.
    _

edited January 2014

@dudleyr said:

Over on the Optima site there are some modification enthusiasts that have done a "wiper delete" because "it looks cool" and "saves weight". While being questioned about the sanity of doing such a thing, they said "well, it doesn't rain much here" (LA). Well, of course everyone suggested other items that could go based on that logic. Like "our roads are long here... and I just realized that brakes are pretty heavy, so..."

ON SELF DRIVING CARS....

Really though, auto-drive is coming whether we like it or not. Just to play devils advocate, I bet a great number of people would rather drink their coffee and read the paper instead of slogging through an hour and a half of bumper-to-bumper on the way into work. I am one of those people. A computer is perfect for stressful, tedious, repetitious tasks like that. I want to drive when I can enjoy it. Also, computers would be better at managing the speeds and spacing between vehicles and get us there more quickly. So, there are some positives.

• I have noticed that the standard Fusion 17" wheels look a whole lot like the Optima LX 16" alloys. So, I was curious and went to the Fusion site and built my own Fusion SE, just to familiarize myself a little better with the options, like which model gets which rims, etc.

I added the 2.0 ecoboost to the base SE...and then automatically you get a nice set of 5 star 18" rims, and a decent price of $26,500. Not bad for the 240 hp model, 6 speed auto, nice black cloth seats, and the regular stereo system with all the bluetooth, USB, and aux input features included. I think that is a very competitive setup.

"Over on the Optima site there are some modification enthusiasts that have done a "wiper delete" "

Airliners of course don't use wipers--they use some kind of ultrasound system, and there is talk of putting these on cars in the future. So you may indeed see the end of windshield wipers soon enough. I think McLaren is already working on this.

• @MrShift@Edmunds said:
    "Over on the Optima site there are some modification enthusiasts that have done a "wiper delete" "

Airliners of course don't use wipers--they use some kind of ultrasound system, and there is talk of putting these on cars in the future. So you may indeed see the end of windshield wipers soon enough. I think McLaren is already working on this.

On a Mclaren it is cool. On an Optima converted into a Pep-Boys quasi-race car it isn't. Especially to save weight.

edited January 2014

Volkswagen sales down 22.7% in December. Audi, Mercedes, and BMW report strong sales increases. Almost half of Euro-branded luxury car sales have been leases in December.

Just an FYI on the VW December sales figures, which of course include the mid-size Passat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/01/03/european-automaker-december-2013-sales-vw-audi-bmw-mercedes/4297089/

@cski said:
    Volkswagen sales down 22.7% in December. Audi, Mercedes, and BMW report strong sales increases. Over half of Luxury car sales have been leases in 2013. Just an FYI on the VW December sales figures, which of course include the mid-size Passat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/01/03/european-automaker-december-2013-sales-vw-audi-bmw-mercedes/4297089/

VW still doesn't "get" the American buyer, at least not completely. And they really need to step up in reliability, whether real or perceived, if they don't want to end up as the "Renault of America" in ten years---and what I mean by that is something like "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

• b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202

@wayne21 said:

This will probably get me in trouble, but LaneWatch-type systems will be popular/needed since about 50% of the drivers out there are women, a fact that seems to be ignored in many discussion here. The vast majority of women are different drivers than men. This is really highlighted and confirmed in Hybrid forums.

@b25nut said:This will probably get me in trouble, but LaneWatch-type systems will be popular/needed since about 50% of the drivers out there are women, a fact that seems to be ignored in many discussion here. The vast majority of women are different drivers than men. This is really highlighted and confirmed in Hybrid forums.

HEY! I'm from the old school and I married a woman :) But in reality this came at just about the right time for me. My wife recently went to a funeral home for visitation. When leaving the funeral home she backed into a tree and scraped about 1" of pain off the back bumper. It's barely noticeable. We went to the funeral together 2 days later. We parked in the exact same parking spot (I was driving) and I couldn't even see a tree. In fact, I'd bet there wasn't a tree within 100 feet of the parking place. I didn't even bother asking where this tree may be located as striking up this conversation would do nothing to put the paint back on the bumper.

edited January 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    VW still doesn't "get" the American buyer, at least not completely. And they really need to step up in reliability, whether real or perceived, if they don't want to end up as the "Renault of America" in ten years---and what I mean by that is something like "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

VW launched both the Jetta and Passat during a soft market on both continents, offering good, basic cars, while others designed sexy-looking sedans with that looked more like coupes, and were packed with features and smartly designed interiors with near luxury materials. I commend VW for sticking with what they do best and offering great driving, high quality, affordable sedans...but the sales figures show which formula Americans preferred, by and large, and with the longer warranties offered by the competition, VW just couldn't keep many folks in the showroom.

Remember the Renault Alliance America? I Still do. In fact, I will never forget it. I think it had 80 hp.

Buffalo NY, 1983.

On a way to a very big wedding, 5 of us thick framed polish Americans were packed in an airport-rented Renault Alliance. We were going up a very steep hill on Military road, about 1/4 mile south of the Armory. What happened next was so surreal we almost couldn't believe it ourselves. A very very large tank broke loose from its tie-downs while being loaded on a trailer, and began rolling down the hill towards us. My father was not good with a stick, and by the time he got it together we were out of time. Panicked, he threw it in reverse, and backed us into a side road about 10 seconds before we were flattened, with about 20 reservists tearing after it as it continued rolling down the aptly named road.

My father never drove a stick shift again.

The Fusion seems to have settled in at around 24mpg for the winter. In warmer weather, it averaged 28. I do leave it home if there is going to be more than a dusting of snow.

• Not willing to risk your baby....I can relate to that.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

42 mpg from a gas-powered, non-hybrid midsized sedan... sounds pretty good to me!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/volkswagen-passat-detroit-2014/

edited January 2014

@cski said:
    Not willing to risk your baby....I can relate to that.

I still have my old bomber Explorer, so I usually drive that in the winter.
    Luckily, when it was cold a week+ ago, it wasn't snowing at the same time, so I drove the Fusion.

• @backy said:
    42 mpg from a gas-powered, non-hybrid midsized sedan... sounds pretty good to me!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/volkswagen-passat-detroit-2014/

That is the most garish shade of blue I have ever seen. Yikes. I am really, really not trying to start an argument backy, but that thing is fugly.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145

@b25nut
    I'm going to pretend I didn't just see that comment and read it as a slight aimed at the skills of female drivers. I've been driving for 30 years and have been female for a lot longer, and not only have I never been involved in an accident for which I was at fault, I've never been tempted to depart my lane into one occupied by another vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Yeah, that's really dumb of VW to offer the Passat in only that blue color, isn't it?

:)

@cski said:
    That is the most garish shade of blue I have ever seen. Yikes. I am really, really not trying to start an argument backy, but that thing is fugly.

@cski said:

Just wait until you see a Deep Impact Blue Fusion. You'll probably pass out, although it's not a Passat. :D

• @backy said:
    Yeah, that's really dumb of VW to offer the Passat in only that blue color, isn't it?

:)

It is just a publicity color to push their "Blue Motion" line of fuel efficient vehicles of course.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

@cski said:
    The Accord Sport is the best car value on the market, period. It is not just me that thinks that. Car and Drivers' ten best issue did as well....

The Accord Sport is a good deal, but I think that the Accord EX is maybe just as good.

Here's a comparison:
    Accord Sport 6 MT
    $23,715 msrp

Accord EX 6 MT
    $24,880

This is a difference of $1165. With the EX you gain: a moonroof, smart entry, push button start, heated mirrors, lockable glove box, 6 speaker stereo, Honda Lanewatch side camera.

But, and this will be a big deal to cksi, you loose the huge wheels and tires of the Sport, and you also lose the dual exhaust.

From my point of view, however, although the wheels and dual exhaust do look great, that are not really necessary. And if you keep the car for a long time, it'll be very pricey to get replacement tires since iirc, those 235/45R1894V tires cost something like $300 each at retail. And because those wheels are so big, the turning circle on the Sport, at 39.6, is larger than for the rest of the Accords, which is a more nimble 38.1.

I'm tempted by the Sport, but the EX might be more my cup of tea. And really, the LX is a great deal at $21,955. It has all the essentially goodness of the Accord for $1760 less than the Sport and $2925 less than the EX.

But since I still mostly love my 2008 Accord EXL navi 5 mt, I'm planning on sticking with it for another 2-4 years before I get my next Accord....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

I agree that the sport looks sharp, but like you, I want the features on the EX more. And I don't like the real low profile tires either, due to cost, and the fact that the roads around here are 1 giant pothole, and I want as much sidewall as I can get!

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

ben

Dont wait to long the next gen Accord in 4 years will be able to fly. your dual exhaust will be replaced with a propella

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Couple things left out that the EX Accord has but the Sport does not.

Turn signals in the mirrors.
    Rear seat heat and A/C vents in the center console
    Additional lighting - backlighting for more of the switches.
    Tighter turning radius - another disadvantage of the larger tires.

@dudleyr said:

I'd forgotten about the rear ac vents. Those are really useful for the folks in back. We have them in our 2013 Accord EXL navi, and I like them a lot.

@brian125 said:
    ben

Dont wait to long the next gen Accord in 4 years will be able to fly. your dual exhaust will be replaced with a propella

Yeah, part of me is wondering if I can wait for the 2018 Accord, which might well have a "turbo propella" lol--but I don't think I want to wait that long. But maybe.

When I got my 2008 with the navi, it was a little bit of a gamble, because I didn't know if the voice recognition would work. But it mostly does work for me. I think I must have an unusually clear voice or something, since I know for some people it just doesn't work enough to be useful.

So, on the one hand, I like a manual transmission for the sporty driving and fast acceleration. On the other hand, I love comfort and gadgets and am kind of addicted to to top of the line experience in my 2008 exl navi with the manual. I special ordered it too, and so there are probably only a dozen or so cars exactly like it in the whole country. I got nice replacement tires, Michel Pilots, just a year ago, and so those probably have another 4 years of life in them. I'm at 67,000 miles and so about 30,000 miles away from the major 100k service. I'm thinking that before the tires go again, and before the tune up is needed, I'll trade her in, but it'll be tough to let her go. I'm really fond of the "White Whale," as we call her. My wife's car, the 2013 Accord exl navi in Basque Red Pearl we call "Tabasco." I do like my wife cvt for the mpg. And the rest of the car is a step beyond mine in almost every way.

What major tuneup? The only tuneup I did on my 2007 was replace the irridium plugs at 130k (and they still looked almost new). 170k miles right now and the only non maintenance item was an o2 sensor at 120k miles. Front brakes are still original as is the clutch. If you really like the top end stick you may need to keep it a while as they are getting rare.

edited January 2014

One would expect the EX to be better equipped for more money. One has to draw the line somewhere. The LX really does have everything necessary, and more. Power everything, bluetooth, backup camera. Those are the essentials, so it seems. A solid package for a very good price. But what sold me on the Sport were its upgrades vs the LX, for not a whole lot of money ($1720):
    -dual exhaust (good for 4 whole hp, woot)
    -18-inch wheels (good design, nice stance)
    -leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob (who wants to grab a plastic steering wheel every day? EX does not have this.)
    -upgraded cloth upholstery (vs LX and EX)
    -10-way power adjustment (incl lumbar - HUGE for me, EX does not have this either, you have to go EX-L)
    -decklid spoiler (purely cosmetic, but what can I say, I haven't given up on trying to look cool yet...)
    -fog lights (not that I really need them, just that I absolutely despise blanks where fog lights are supposed to go, advertising that I got the "cheap" one)
    -sport suspension (I've read this somewhere, but not seeing it specifically called out on the Honda website)

At any rate, it's not just cosmetics. As for the larger wheels, I find the ride perfectly comfortable and quiet. I didn't compare to an LX test drive, but it's like a dang Lexus compared to my old Mazda3. I know replacement tires will be more expensive, but what can I say, they just look great. Vanity got me again. Turning radius has not been a problem, as I don't live in a tiny parking garage or an autocross course.

As for the EX's perceived benefits:
    -moonroof - tall guy, hot climate, why give up headroom and let in more sun?
    -stereo upgrade - would be nice, but I'm a talk radio/podcast nerd. Music sound quality from the
    base stereo is acceptable from digital sources (FM sucks)
    -Push-button start/smart entry. Nifty. Have had it on many rental cars, and won't deny its convenience.
    -Lane watch... see prior discussion. I guess it's cool, but I haven't missed its absence.

Frankly, I'd have the Sport over the EX even if they were the exact same price.

Moral of the story:
    Honda is a bit aggravating with their few trim levels. There are a couple things I wish I could have selected a la carte. But then you end up nickel and dimed to death as with Toyota and, to a lesser extent, Ford. So, you choose the trim that suits your needs, preferences, budget, and to each his own. I like to think of mine as the "driver's Accord".

And ya know, the EX-L is not such a stretch, and with that you get heated leather, LEDs, touchscreen, memory seats, etc... Ooh, ooh, maybe the new Hybrid!... Again, we must all draw the line somewhere. Even the guy with the Touring had to decide he wasn't going to get an Acura...

@benjaminh said:

EX-L Navi manual - you really do have something of a unicorn there!

@benjaminh said:

Which switches exactly? I did not know this.

@dudleyr said:

edited January 2014

@dudleyr said:
    What major tuneup? The only tuneup I did on my 2007 was replace the irridium plugs at 130k (and they still looked almost new). 170k miles right now and the only non maintenance item was an o2 sensor at 120k miles. Front brakes are still original as is the clutch. If you really like the top end stick you may need to keep it a while as they are getting rare.

Wow. So those iridium spark plugs can often go beyond 100k. Is iridium more durable than platinum for this application?

I don't do my own work, and so I'm not sure what the dealer would charge for a 100k service, but maybe 1k? If I go that route I should maybe shop around and/or not get everything done that they are calling for.

I do like my 2008, but my wife's 2013 is giving me some car envy. Her Accord is quieter and more luxurious, and has a lot of features mine doesn't have. I do notice that the steering of my 08, with the hydraulic, feels a little heavier and more direct, in a good way. But, frankly, the acceleration of my 190hp vtec isn't quite as fast as I would like. The new Accord is a little lighter and, more importantly, the direct injected earth dreams engine has more torque. Some 0-60 tests of the new manual Accords have shown sub 7 second times, which is probably 2 seconds faster than I can do in my 08. I know I'll never match a magazine's time, but even 7.5 would be nice for merging on the freeway with the uphill ramp that I take every day after work.

The EX does have a lot of stuff, and is about 5k less than the EXL navi iirc. I don't actually need leather seats, and slightly prefer cloth. I actually worry that the leather seats of my 08 will crack at some point. I'd better condition em again soon. And with a smart phone, maybe the navi is less needed these days. On the other hand, the CVT my wife has will probably beat the mpg of the 6 mt, and so maybe I should just save up for that. Decisions, decisions. My car still has plenty of life in it, and so it's just a fun time waster to consider what I might do some day.