Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• if someone wouldn't mind..i keep reading all these posts, and people keep mentioning trying to get 1000 + dollars off "invoice".

Is that the Factory Invoice + Destination fee? Or does "invoice" mean MSRP? Sorry, just really confused

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,149

@carkhoj said: I made an offer of $27,000 OTD for accord ex-l sedan in NJ to several dealers. No one is ready to sell me at that price. Is my offer too aggressive? I can wait till the end of this month. Suggestions?

This is in Ohio, but I just helped a friend buy a '14 EX-L Navigation. IIRC, MSRP was right around $31K, maybe a hair under.

We put together a one sheet offer. $27K which included doc fees, tinting windows (3M tint) and Accord winter mats. We added in our local tax and license fees to the $27K.

We presented the sheet to the sales person after a test drive, and told him it was a one time offer. He took it to his sales manager, who came out and asked if we were buying "today". We told him we were.

He tried to "bump" us $1,000, at which time we shook his hand and thanked him for his time, and instructed him it was a one time offer and we were going to present the offer to the next nearest dealership. We began to leave the dealership. He immeidately asked us to stop and said we had a deal if my friend was willing to take the car home that day and return later for the tint.

We agreed.

We were in and out in a little over an hour from the time we walked in, until we drove off their lot.

We had no trade. Cash deal.

I think this took place January 4th.

Different areas, different dealers will yield different results. Personally, I try to keep every deal as local as possible. And, have all my deal's details already pritned out to present before I walk in to a dealership.

Getting a deal (a GOOD deal) on the phone I've found next to impossible. You have to be in their dealership, ready to make a deal, and be willing to move on to the next dealership if you can't.

The longer you're negotiating, the more you're going to be bumped (up).

Hope that helps.

• ha14ha14 Posts: 3

11tybillion: Invoice is different from MSRP. MSRP is the "suggest retail price" and invoice is the price the dealer paid to the manufacturer. Sometimes the dealer sells the car off invoice (losing money) because they get holdback and incentive from the manufacturer so they actually make money. The folks in this forum are trying to make the dealer "lose" as much money as possible by buying the car $1000 or more below invoice.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,451
    edited January 13

11tybillion

Msrp.............................. Full price from factory

Dealers invoice price.... There cost to buy vehicle

Dest/ charge................... Price all consumers pay on top of agreed sale price of vehicle.

With dealer hold- backs, and manufactorer to dealer incentives and rebates alot of vehicles can be bought below dealer invoice price.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• carkhojcarkhoj Posts: 13

@graphicguy - Thanks. I will visit dealerships around this month end. As NJ market is very tight, I probably might have to go out of state to get a good deal. I am a bit skeptical about driving down to neighboring states. Will see what happens in next few days.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,149

@carkhoj said: graphicguy - Thanks. I will visit dealerships around this month end. As NJ market is very tight, I probably might have to go out of state to get a good deal. I am a bit skeptical about driving down to neighboring states. Will see what happens in next few days.

Good luck. Report back when you get a chance.

• ken117ken117 Posts: 189

Invoice is the price manufacturers attach to each vehicle which is a general amount each dealer pays to the manufacturer for the vehicle. However, there are several considerations with respect to that invoice.

First both manufacturers and dealers understand the majority of buyers have access to the internet. They know those buyers will not buy at MSRP and they know those buyers research prices actually paid. Therefore, the manufacturers have considered this when the establish the so-called dealer invoice. The manufacturers provide dealers several profit avenues which make the invoice somewhat deceptive.

For example, most manufacturers provide a dealer holdback for each vehicle. This differs by manufacturer but is usually 2 to 3 percent of MSRP. If, as an example, the MSRP was $30,000 and the holdback was 2 percent, the dealer would receive $600 which would lower the invoice price.

Another example is a stair-step incentive. Typically these are provided by the manufacturer for sales over a specific number over a specific time. For example, a manufacturer may offer a dealer a stair-step incentive of $1,000 for each vehicle if the dealer sells a certain number in a given month. This will, of course, further reduce the invoice price to the dealer. This type of incentive is very hard to discover. They can, however, make shopping at the end of the month or end of the quarter very lucrative for a buyer.

Also, dealers often receive a flat dealer incentive from the manufacturer. This can be a flat amount such as $2,500 or a percentage.

In any case, almost any dealer can sell at invoice or lower and still make a nice profit.

Edmunds has information for holdback and dealer incentives for each manufacturer on this web-site.

IMHO, the best method to develop a starting point for price negotiations is to start at invoice and reduce by the holdback and incentives, both those given to the dealer and to the customer. Start at that amount and wait for the dealer's response. If they counter close to your price you can safely assume there is a stair-step type incentive lurking behind the scenes. If the dealer responds with a price which is near invoice, continue to negotiate moving up from your price in small increments, say $250.

However, if the dealer counters with a price closer to MSRP, might be time to walk to another dealer. A buyer will often not get the dealer's best price until they make a move toward the door. The last thing a dealer wants to see the the back of the buyer walking out the door.

The truth is all dealers really can sell at the same price. Each, however, have different profit structures so very different pricing can be found in an area at any given time. The trick is to find the dealers with profit objectives closest to your pricing goals.

• ha14ha14 Posts: 3

Ken117: Very well explained. You must have been a dealer. Thanks.

• This is a warning about TRUECAR and all the wannabe sites which seek to extract money out of the car buying public. Please note. All comments posted are simply opinions. I just received another email this morning from a website called realcartips.com which has some fairly good information about purchasing cars - however, front and center on it was a link to go directly to TRUECAR.com - which is the greatest ripoff site for a car buyer. If you do use TRUECAR bewarned, the site no longer includes the prices which come from the high volume dealers in any area - which dramatically increases the purchase price of the cars shown on their website. They can be as much as $2500 under what is being shown as a "great value"! Additionally, TRUECAR get $300 bucks for each car it sells. So don't use them to buy a car - negotiate down the price listed by going directly to the internet managers of multiple sites and get their best price that way. Also by pass the CARS.com, real car tips website, or any website which will "email internet managers" all at once - because these friendly sites are getting your money by just simply having a transfer feature to another website. ITS YOUR MONEY - You keep it :) Happy New Year.

edited January 16

True car, Costco, Carwoo, Realcartips. these are good starting points on price. The real negotiating are done at months end thru the internet managers or at the dealerships.

On Nov, 28. I bought a 2013 Genesis R-spec sedan. msrp was 48,400. the best price i found was 39.1k.. members on the genesis boards with good deals were at 41k and 40k. When i used true car as a pricing guide here in NY and S.C. I found pricing very different here in New York.

3 dealers posted prices to sell at 40k , 38.9k and i found one dealer willing to sell at 38.3k.

My target price to buy was 38.5k to 39k at months end. i was willing to pay 39.5 if i had to.

Truecar did help me find the best deal. I tried to get 10 dealers to match but nobody was close.

My deal was 20% off of the msrp.

I will close by saying Truecar for the most part should be a starting point to check out pricing. maybe i was very lucky......... Or a car of this nature is not in high demand. Most of the dealerships had very few R-spec;s if any on there lots..

• Hey Brian125, you have a very good story - and as I indicated in my post, I was giving an opinion - or warning. Edmunds has a very good website (allowing us to post these opinions) and is a viable alternative to TRUECAR. After reading an article in an autotrade publication and getting direct quotes from the TRUECAR CEO - it was apparent that greed was a priority at RIPOFF car (TRUECAR) in its decision to no longer include the low cost high volume dealers in its "pricing charts". It was deliberate as the whole article was dedicated to let dealers know that TRUECAR was tilted to them (so they could get their grubby hands on $300 bucks per transaction). The article started out on how ticked off some dealers were that TRUECAR was showing the real prices for a period of time - and in order to earn their trust, TRUECAR backed off including them. Personally, I'd rather see hard working folks keep their $300 plus dollars instead of giving it to the purveyor of not completely true information. My hope is when you bought your car, TRUE CAR was not part of the negotiation and you were able to by pass them and they did not get their grubby hands on the $300 dollars they want to earn by deceiving (my humble opinion of course. Enjoy your new car!

edited January 16

I know the majority of members are buying Accords in this forum like we preach hear. Only a few posters asked in this forum about true car pricing. True car is a non factor in this forum... I think anyone who stumbles on this Accord site and applies how and when to buy like is suggested does better than doing it there way.

The best way to get to your target price is......

Bringing in as many dealerships your willing to travel to into the mix and buying at month's end with your target price to buy that day.. Negotiating online first via email and direct phone calls speaking to each internet mgr.............. Is how you make your best deal..

• peterpeter Posts: 1

Has anyone had any buying experiences with a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid? What prices are you seeing in the marketplace?

Most people are getting prices close to Msrp on this model.. If you want a early hybrid model you may have to pay close to sticker. As the months roll by and you find more hybrids on lots is when you may save a few more dollars.

Compare the 4cyl to the hybrid in terms of mpg and pricing. Non hybrid model= 1k plus below invoice is where your pricing is right know.. opposed to almost full sticker..

Going with the hybrid model and paying top dollar opposed to the 4cyl model and saving about 3500 to 4000 less would probably take you 3 yrs to recoup that money gas wise.

What gas numbers are we looking at for a Accord hybrid

• gthevergthever Posts: 3

Finally purchased the 2014 Accord EX CVT yesterday from Sloane Honda in Northeast Philadelphia. Price was $24,000.00 out of the door.

Selling price was $23,374. Taxes at $1402 (PA at 6%) TTL including $130.00 document fee -- $224 $500.00 Flex Cash $500.00 Recent Graduate discount.

Great experience with this dealership and previously purchased a 2006 Accord LX SE from them.

• j90606j90606 Posts: 2
    Hi all recieved a quote for 2013 Accord LX CVT sedan in So Cal. Quoted price is $20074 before,tax, title etc. is this a good price? Can i get them to lower the quote? Should I be looking for a 2014 if so what is a good price to pay? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • laker34laker34 Posts: 27

Which dealer offered you that price? I live in So Cal., and the lowest I've received so far is $20, 561.

• erikkurerikkur Posts: 4

Hello, I am in Southern Maine and looking for a good deal on a 14 EX-L with no extras. Where might be a good place? Thanks. Erik

edited January 20

Erik,

Make alist of dealers to call in your area and compare to dealerships in M.A. It might be worth the car ride or one way bus to further dealership.

Your target price to buy should be 500 to 1500 below dealers invoice price on any model you choose. Try to buy closer to the very end of any month..

Any rebates and Incentives are added onto your deal after the agreed selling price. Read thru previous boards for dealers outside of Boston area with good pricing.. .

• nanunemnanunem Posts: 8

Hi I am in Houston, TX and have the following best quote as of now for a Honda Accord LX CVT 4dr. Please help me understand if this is a good purchase price or not. MSRP: $23,545.00 Sales Price (including destination): $20,769.00 TTL: $1624.26 Total drive out: $22,393.26

Thanks!

nanunem

Invoice w dest charge = 21,619. This puts you at 850 below invoice on the LX cvt model.

I would call more dealerships to see if flex cash of 500 is being offered then have the flex cash dealership match or best your offer of 850 below invoice.

Thanks! Quick question - How did you reach to the 'invoice w dest charge' amount?

Edmunds, kbb.com, Nada pricing. . Try nada web page i find it to be quicker than edmunds.

• freshstartfreshstart Posts: 3
    edited January 21

I live in the socal area. (San Bernardino/Riverside) I am looking to get a 2014 Accord Sport. Truecars.com gave me offers for $22,220+ttl. Is it possible to get a dealer to go down to $21k+ttl? What is the best quote/deal anyone has gotten for an Accord Sport 14' in the Socal area. And no I don't qualified for military or graduate program. Any help will be appreciated. Please include dealer/city and perhaps name of salesperson. Thanks

edited January 21

Thanks Brian! So I am actually in a dilemma, I just got another deal but that is for a used Accord 2013 LX CVT with 12k miles for $19000 OTD from a Lexus dealer. Which one sounds better, going with the used car or spending at least $2.5k-3k extra to get a brand new one, considering I wont be keeping the car for more than 3-4 years? Thanks for the help folks.

nan

please provide us with the selling price of the 2013 cvt lx accord without taxes.. Just selling price.

edited January 21

Radar,

A 2013 accord cvt lx model with 4,000 demo miles.. this is a 1 year old model. invoice price was 20,579.

A fair price is 3000 off this number plus flex cash if dealer has to offer. any price under 3k walk away its not worth the sale. A new 2014 model could be had a 1k below invoice.

Im................. me and we could discuss this further...

The selling price for the 2013 accord is $17,599 and it has 12k miles on it and the carfax says it was actually sold on 12/31/2012.
    Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851

Please help launch our new Facebook tab and be one of the first to share your car shopping experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews