Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• hockeyrefhockeyref Posts: 3

2003 Denali XL, 195,000 miles. Problem same as everyone else here. without warning, check engine light, reduced power and stability system shut down. code 1516. can clear DTC code to resume, but this is a HUGE safety issue.. Cleaned throttle body, added additional ground strap, check TB wires...nothing has corrected problem. GM is at fault here and they know it...contact me if info needed for possible class action. I'll participate.

• jessebell82jessebell82 Posts: 1
    edited January 9
    hello all ive have to battle with idling around for weeks in my 03 2500 silverado and reduced engine power and after reading from these pages in this site ive finally figured out my issue! it was the combination of both the pedal and the module it plugs into. now she runs great I just want to thank you all for posting up your solutions
  • lalaleezalalaleeza Posts: 10

Ok, I have a 2004 Tahoe LT and have had it for several years. I love it. I have never had a problem with it until the last few weeks. While driving down the road it will give you the dreaded "reduced engine power" message. It is intermittent and will not do it all the time. I am experiencing the same issues as every other poster on here and it will idle down to a crawl and will not accelerate. Well, last night I went to the river to do a little gigging. I couldn't get up the boat ramp!!! Every time I went to accelerate, it would roll backwards toward the river!!! I have had it looked at a million times, and no one can tell me how to fix it and what to do. I am assuming GM is aware of this issues because this thread was started YEARS ago. Why has there not been a fix yet? I am concerned because I am a single mother of 3 young boys and CANNOT have this dangerous problem continue with my children in the car! I am scared to drive it and it now sits in my driveway which is a real problem because it is our only vehicle!! What do I need to do?! I don't think a known problem should be put on the consumer if GM knows and has known about this!! I need help!

• lalaleezalalaleeza Posts: 10

Ok, so I called the GM consumer complaint line and was given a "Case number". The woman told me on the phone that there was no active recall on this issue however "special coverage" was issued for the year make and model of my vehicle. She also said that because I was not the first owner of this vehicle that the special coverage did not apply to me because I was out of the perimeters of the coverage. All she could do was set me up an appointment at a GM dealer but I would have to pay the diagnostic fee. I have already done that several times and each time they tell me that my car is not "throwing a code" so they cannot tell me what is wrong. This is highway robbery. I am a single mom of three that invested in this vehicle because of Cheverolet's reputation of safety and longevity for the safety of my children. I got the error message again today to bring my children to school and crawled into the parking lot late and at about 4 mph. No one can seem to tell me what the problem is to fix it. If GM has known about this problem enough to issue "special coverage" then why are they so willing to just turn a blind eye. GM knows that they have a problem and will not fix it. I am beside myself. The lady on the phone told me to purchase a new vehicle if I can't get it fixed. Well, if I cannot afford a diagnostic fee every week I sure as hell cannot afford a new vehicle. This is ridiculous! The safety of myself, my children and others is at stake here. No one at GM will own up to the fact that they have an issue and won't fix it. Billions of dollars of yours, mine and every other tax payers money was used to bail out the auto industry yet they stand by and tell you there is nothing they can do to fix it. The CEO and CFO's of these auto makers are making millions of dollars per year yet I make just enough to scrape by for me and my children and yet they sit there and do nothing. I am sure that they even get their choice of BRAND NEW VEHICLES every year to drive around while I am stuck trying to drive around a car that is malfunctioning because that is in my budget. I took GM's word on their reliability of their vehicles, and safety and longevity of having a "Chevy" for "generations". THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST FLAT OUT FALSE ADVERTISING..... If anyone knows how to fix this issue without costing me thousands please any info would be great. I just need my reliable car to be just that.... reliable!

• hockeyrefhockeyref Posts: 3
    edited January 13

Update: Replaced Throttle body this weekend. $165 with shipping from Amazon...so far so good, been error code free with HWY driving. checked all wire harnesses while truck was running, pulled, wiggled etc...no code. keeping fingers crossed.

• FY Folks, a inexpensive scanner can clear the p1516 and any other DTC's to keep you running. This is not a fix but will allow you to resume normal operation once the code is cleared. well worth the investment and has saved me thousands in diagnostic reading fees and towing.

• tesbartesbar Posts: 1

We have a 2010 GMC Yukon and just yesterday experienced the REDUCED ENGINE POWER problem!!! So far it has been our first issue with the vehicle, and from what I am reading we have the potential to have many more issues. I cannot believe there is not a recall on this matter. I am lucky enough to have been close to home when it occurred as many were not. We are an active family with four young boys. We chose this vehicle for both the size and what we thought was safe.

• jordan40jordan40 farmersville, nyPosts: 109

i would do an engine over haul. but with young kids that might be the worst choice. i would get a chevy suburban any year i think its a bit bigger, some what safer and no problems that i know of. i own three. one is a 2010 one is a 2012 and the other is a 2013

@lalaleeza said: Ok, so I called the GM consumer complaint line and was given a "Case number". The woman told me on the phone that there was no active recall on this issue however "special coverage" was issued for the year make and model of my vehicle. She also said that because I was not the first owner of this vehicle that the special coverage did not apply to me because I was out of the perimeters of the coverage. All she could do was set me up an appointment at a GM dealer but I would have to pay the diagnostic fee. I have already done that several times and each time they tell me that my car is not "throwing a code" so they cannot tell me what is wrong. This is highway robbery. I am a single mom of three that invested in this vehicle because of Cheverolet's reputation of safety and longevity for the safety of my children. I got the error message again today to bring my children to school and crawled into the parking lot late and at about 4 mph. No one can seem to tell me what the problem is to fix it. If GM has known about this problem enough to issue "special coverage" then why are they so willing to just turn a blind eye. GM knows that they have a problem and will not fix it. I am beside myself. The lady on the phone told me to purchase a new vehicle if I can't get it fixed. Well, if I cannot afford a diagnostic fee every week I sure as hell cannot afford a new vehicle. This is ridiculous! The safety of myself, my children and others is at stake here. No one at GM will own up to the fact that they have an issue and won't fix it. Billions of dollars of yours, mine and every other tax payers money was used to bail out the auto industry yet they stand by and tell you there is nothing they can do to fix it. The CEO and CFO's of these auto makers are making millions of dollars per year yet I make just enough to scrape by for me and my children and yet they sit there and do nothing. I am sure that they even get their choice of BRAND NEW VEHICLES every year to drive around while I am stuck trying to drive around a car that is malfunctioning because that is in my budget. I took GM's word on their reliability of their vehicles, and safety and longevity of having a "Chevy" for "generations". THAT MY FRIENDS IS JUST FLAT OUT FALSE ADVERTISING..... If anyone knows how to fix this issue without costing me thousands please any info would be great. I just need my reliable car to be just that.... reliable!

if you want take it to your neiborhood repair shop not the big dealership. you woll get to know the mechanics and might get discounts.

• I have a 2004 Yukon Denali and am having similar problems with the reduced engine power issue. Mine do differ in that it doesn't happen while driving or at least not so far. Last night we drove about 120 miles to my daughters game and it ran fine all the way there. After about 3 hours we went to start it and come home and it immediately went in to the REP mode and the stability issue also. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then started it up and the same thing happened. I ended up leaving it sit and we caught a ride home with friends. The issue has happened before but always disconnecting the battery has got it going again. While thinking about it on the trip home I realized that I had used the cruise control last night and the previous time that it happened. I never use it but for some reason I was talking and with out thinking set it and did not even think of the problem. Also when it goes into this REP crap the dash says I driver One, for the last couple months it has said driver Two and I had no problems. I only have one set of keys so I know it should stay on one of the setting and not change between them. Last summer on a trip the ac decided to blow hot on the drivers side but worked every were else and the heated seats would come on the driver side, I could turn them off but they came back on at random times. That for some reason stopped happening. I have done all the experiments that I can find on the web and have replaced both hubs and sensors, replaced ground wires....does any one else have an idea? I am driving back this am to hopefully get my Yukon back. It stinks going an extra 300 miles on a Saturday and not being able to say I can fix it in the end.

it might be a bad regulator on the cruise control. i would get that checked. until then dont use it. and the heated seats probably had a short in the wiring. the wires are probably disconnected or cut. id have to see the suv to make sure. but i think i am correct

• I too have a 2007 Yukon XL. The car has been a lemon from the get go. Ours ate oil like crazy for a year(only 2 years old at time with less than 50k miles). Took it to several different dealerships, fought with the very unhelpful GM service reps for close to a year, kept getting the run around about how it was normal for a car(even a new one), to eat several quarts of oil between regular oil changes. Don't know how I finally managed to get them to take responsibility for the issue, but ultimately my local dealership was given the go ahead to fix the issue. Took them 5 weeks, and they rebuilt the whole engine. I should mention that the transmission also failed at 28k miles, can't even recall what they had to do to it. After the engine problem, we decided to park the thing and use it very sparingly. Weather has been bad here in Missouri and have needed a 4 wheel drive. Start driving it more regularly and now we have this exact same problem, with the Service Stabilitrack, reduced engine power. Then the vehicle completely shuts down. This has the potential to be a very deadly issue and reading all of the posts in this thread, I am really concerned with the chances of this being handled fairly. When I called my GM service dept, they were very well aware of this issue, but could not find that my VIN # was approved for this apparent fix that GM is offering to do? They want $100 to diagnose(O'Reilly already did that for free) and then will throw me to the wolves at GM to fight it out. We are not in a position to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at an issue that GM is apparently well aware that they have. I just can not believe with the thousands of people having the same problem that they have not voluntarily issued recalls and offered to rectify it at their expense. I Filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and hope that everyone else does too!

@rachelv87 said: I too have a 2007 Yukon XL. The car has been a lemon from the get go. Ours ate oil like crazy for a year(only 2 years old at time with less than 50k miles). Took it to several different dealerships, fought with the very unhelpful GM service reps for close to a year, kept getting the run around about how it was normal for a car(even a new one), to eat several quarts of oil between regular oil changes. Don't know how I finally managed to get them to take responsibility for the issue, but ultimately my local dealership was given the go ahead to fix the issue. Took them 5 weeks, and they rebuilt the whole engine. I should mention that the transmission also failed at 28k miles, can't even recall what they had to do to it. After the engine problem, we decided to park the thing and use it very sparingly. Weather has been bad here in Missouri and have needed a 4 wheel drive. Start driving it more regularly and now we have this exact same problem, with the Service Stabilitrack, reduced engine power. Then the vehicle completely shuts down. This has the potential to be a very deadly issue and reading all of the posts in this thread, I am really concerned with the chances of this being handled fairly. When I called my GM service dept, they were very well aware of this issue, but could not find that my VIN # was approved for this apparent fix that GM is offering to do? They want $100 to diagnose(O'Reilly already did that for free) and then will throw me to the wolves at GM to fight it out. We are not in a position to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at an issue that GM is apparently well aware that they have. I just can not believe with the thousands of people having the same problem that they have not voluntarily issued recalls and offered to rectify it at their expense. I Filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and hope that everyone else does too!

this problem is very serious. why gm is not helpful i dont know. i will ccheck all data for any recalls

• Everybody needs to call the NHTSA and file a complaint. This is a huge safety issue that GM is not addressing!! 1-888-327-4236. My 2008 Impala cut out on me yesterday on the highway,, " Reduced Engine Power",, scared the heck out of me. And of course GM says they know nothing about this issue. Really?? Looking into a lawyer for a class action law suit,, this is ridiculous!!

it is this is rediculous. put a scanner to it and put the trouble codes on the forum and ill put them in to all data

• I don't know what you mean,, put the scanner to it???

some shops and people have these scanners that you hook up to the vehicle. if you look under the dash on the driver side you see this connector. you hook the scanner to that connector and the trouble codes will show up.

• TSB # 11-06-04-007C explains it all. Call your local GM dealer and ask him about it. There. Done.

Better idea biffthebassman

• @biffthenassman. That sure doesn't explain much to me because I have an 04 Tahoe. The posting you put is for 2008-2011.

do ya have the same problem

i just got my first 2007 Yukon. and it had the reduced engine power message. when i got home i went into my shop and hooked the scanner up. could not find anything. So i am taking the engine out and putting a 72 chevy suburban engine in it

@rachelv87 said: I too have a 2007 Yukon XL. The car has been a lemon from the get go. Ours ate oil like crazy for a year(only 2 years old at time with less than 50k miles). Took it to several different dealerships, fought with the very unhelpful GM service reps for close to a year, kept getting the run around about how it was normal for a car(even a new one), to eat several quarts of oil between regular oil changes. Don't know how I finally managed to get them to take responsibility for the issue, but ultimately my local dealership was given the go ahead to fix the issue. Took them 5 weeks, and they rebuilt the whole engine. I should mention that the transmission also failed at 28k miles, can't even recall what they had to do to it. After the engine problem, we decided to park the thing and use it very sparingly. Weather has been bad here in Missouri and have needed a 4 wheel drive. Start driving it more regularly and now we have this exact same problem, with the Service Stabilitrack, reduced engine power. Then the vehicle completely shuts down. This has the potential to be a very deadly issue and reading all of the posts in this thread, I am really concerned with the chances of this being handled fairly. When I called my GM service dept, they were very well aware of this issue, but could not find that my VIN # was approved for this apparent fix that GM is offering to do? They want $100 to diagnose(O'Reilly already did that for free) and then will throw me to the wolves at GM to fight it out. We are not in a position to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at an issue that GM is apparently well aware that they have. I just can not believe with the thousands of people having the same problem that they have not voluntarily issued recalls and offered to rectify it at their expense. I Filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and hope that everyone else does too!

I am doing an engine swap with a trusty late 70's chevy suburban. if you dont have that vehicle i would take it to a local shop that knows you, and ask them to do an engine rebuild. i had this happen to me a few times. my used 2007 yukon has the same problem. so i have it parked in my garage next to my subuurban. hopes this solves the problem

@lalaleeza said: biffthenassman. That sure doesn't explain much to me because I have an 04 Tahoe. The posting you put is for 2008-2011.

go to google and search: Technical Service Bulletins for 2004 Chevy Tahoe

• Yes I have the same problem and it isn't easy for me to just change out the motor or even get it fixed because no one can narrow down the problem to tell me what to fix. I can't afford to "try" to replace several parts to see if that fixes the problem. Someone at GM needs to narrow it down already and find out what the exact problem is so that I can fix it and be done. I am a single mom of three boys that purchased this vehicle for 14000! First someone said it is the throttle body. Then the throttle body harness. Then check the stabilitrac. Then check the cruise? I can't replace all of these things and hope one of them is the problem!! GM is doing owners of these vehicles a huge disservice by knowing that there has been a problem all along. It is a deadly problem when on the highway and needs to be addressed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,077

@lalaleeza said: Yes I have the same problem and it isn't easy for me to just change out the motor or even get it fixed because no one can narrow down the problem to tell me what to fix. I can't afford to "try" to replace several parts to see if that fixes the problem. Someone at GM needs to narrow it down already and find out what the exact problem is so that I can fix it and be done. I am a single mom of three boys that purchased this vehicle for 14000! First someone said it is the throttle body. Then the throttle body harness. Then check the stabilitrac. Then check the cruise? I can't replace all of these things and hope one of them is the problem!! GM is doing owners of these vehicles a huge disservice by knowing that there has been a problem all along. It is a deadly problem when on the highway and needs to be addressed.

Hello lalaleeza,

We definitely recognize your frustration with this situation, and apologize that you are still experiencing issues with your vehicle after all this time. We would be more than happy to set up a case for you within our system and look into a possible resolution to your concerns. If interested, please message us your full contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• Amber N. I already have a case and I was told there is nothing GM will do or can do to help. I am not the first owner and the mileage is over the "special coverage" that the previous owner/owners never fixed because this issue has been sporadic. The special coverage doesn't cover past a certain mileage. Just because this problem that GM has known about for YEARS didn't happen with the other owners and is happening now means I am out of luck. GM prides itself on durability and the "legacy" of owning a Chevy like my great grandad, my papa, and my father but that is just really just a way to sell more vehicles. GM won't stand behind this problem and it is potentially deadly. So my 2004 Chevy Tahoe sits in my driveway and I walk my children to the store because my sporadic problem has now become to bad to do anything about and I cannot fix it because no one (including the GM dealer) knows the real problem. Throttle body, throttle body harness, cruise control??? Who the heck knows. For now we walk. Thanks GM!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,077

Hi lalaleeza,

Thank you for providing a few additional details. I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way, and certainly understand your dissatisfaction with this situation. If you are still interested in having this repaired at the dealership, I would be happy to locate another dealership in your area and stay involved throughout the repair process.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

• The cost is outrageous. I cannot afford to go to another dealership so they can tell me that they do not know exactly what the problem is. As I stated before. There are so many "potential" parts it "could be". I made an appointment. I had a diagnostic and was told that there was nothing wrong. I drive away irritated that I just paid to have someone basically tell me I had no problems and 15 minutes into my drive going 65 mph in the highway home BAM! There goes the problem reducing my speed from 65 to 4!! I don't understand how GM can know there is an issue and just turn a blind eye?!! Must be nice to be selling vehicles for millions in profit every year but when is owners have a problem, there is no explanation and no help. Your welcome GM EXECS for paying your salaries!! While I set my car in the driveway and walk, you go out to your fancy parking spot with your name on it and get into your new car and drive away without the worry of having a potentially deadly crash or accident with children in the car. Until I can actually afford to fix my car or buy a new one, it sits and we walk. By the way, walking is awesome fun in the winter with 3 little boys but thanks!!
  • I heard on the news this morning that GM has a recall out now for a faulty ignition switch,, call your local dealers people. Not sure if this is related to OUR problem, but worth a shot.