Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Now that Park Lane was kind of a beast, pretty pimpin'. Merc's didn't seem to sell all that well in the Chicago burbs back then. It was GM territory, but not really too bad for Mopars either. seemed weird that there were big Ford dealers, but not a lot of Lincoln Mercury, and those around us were kind of small and old fashion looking. The Mercury of that era I didn't particularly care for was the 60.

I like it. it kind of reminds me of the taillight treatment on a 1962 Imperial

Some saw it as jet age like Ima mentioned, but some saw them as a pair of [non-permissible content removed]. I was kind of neutral, and still am. It did make the Merc standout from rear profiles and maybe that's what Ford was trying to do - differentiate it from all the Olds and Buicks in the parking lots without going Exnerish like over at Chrysler..

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,686

For the most part I'm not a fan of the '61-64 Mercury, but I too like the '62. I think the rear end treatment is pretty cool, and I think the front-end is pretty handsome, in a Buick-ish sort of way.

When I think of 60's Mercury's, I'm reminded of the breezeway rear windows although I think they only ran something like 63-66 or 67. My favorites though are the mid 60's Marauders.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472

@berri said:
    When I think of 60's Mercury's, I'm reminded of the breezeway rear windows although I think they only ran something like 63-66 or 67. My favorites though are the mid 60's Marauders.

The breezeway window showed up in '57 in the Turnpike Cruiser, but I think they didn't use it again until '63.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Yeah, forgot about those Turnpike Cruiser rocket ships. But in the mid 60's you could get the Breezeway as an option on a basic Monterey 4 dr sedan. I think as that option went on though, more buyers moved back to the basic rear window and the breezeway went into history. I don't think it looked all that good on the updated design 65/67. Speaking of breezeway, I remember back in the 50's and early 60's where homes sometimes had a breezeway between the back door and the garage and some used those jalousie (however you spell it) windows that cranked open all those small horizontal window pieces.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,106

I think they continued into '67, although were no longer reverse-slanted. I think by then the window only went down a few inches.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,167

Saw a nice looking W126 and a pretty clean ~73-77 Celica fastback this afternoon.

This evening, coming out of DC I spotted a pristine looking 1985-88 Nissan Maxima, in a champagne/driftwood color similar to my Park Ave, but lighter. It doesn't seem that long ago that these cars were all the rage, but I can't remember the last time I've seen one. One thing that struck me was how tiny this car was, by today's standards. They didn't seem that tiny back when they were common. Small, yes, compared to the types of cars I prefer, but back in the day, there were just more small cars on the road, so they didn't seem so dwarfed by everything else on the road.

Also spotted a first-gen Lumina sedan, paint peeled down to bare metal in places, and with some serious rust in the lower regions. Can't remember the last time I've seen one of these, either.

You need to visit western WA again, you'll get your fill of cars from that era. A co-worker drove one of that era Maxima up until just several years ago.

Only old car spotted today was a ~65 Mustang coupe. And I've been seeing a Tempo drive down my street in the evening now and then.

@andre1969 said:
    This evening, coming out of DC I spotted a pristine looking 1985-88 Nissan Maxima,

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

Heck, a lot of those once-small Japanese cars have grown tremendously. Yesterday's Accord is today's Civic. I just saw a new Nissan Altima the other day and it seemed big compared to my BIL's old Altima.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123

The current Accord looks like a Peterbilt, next to the original Acura Legend.

My uncle had an '85 Maxima wagon. Drove it until 1995. I loved that car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Was up in Bellingham today, an area known for odd cars. Saw 2x Audi V8s (parked at the same house), an Audi 90 (unrelated), another 80s VW double cab 4x4 - this one pulling a trailer rather than being shown off, about a zillion VW vans, a 63-64 Nova 2 door HT that looked to have been parked outside for years, and a later series 60s Continental 4 door.

See the Postwar Studebakers section; I recently posted a car for sale that was interesting to me that happens to be in Bellingham.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS

Out on the interstates today and saw a white Toyota Previa in pristine shape. Haven't seen one of those in years. I also saw a first for me at least, a regular UPS delivery truck towing a smaller UPS trailer that looked like a tall U-Haul in UPS livery. I'd never seen that before.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702

maybe a UPS tagalong trailer for delivering to mailbox rental service.
    photo UPStagalong_zps1dae048d.jpg

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123

UPS uses those to go to "rural" towns, that are pretty good size, but not big enough for a terminal. Sometimes, they have one big customer that will have enough inbound packages to fill the trailer... So, drive 60 miles, deliver that trailer full first, park it, then run the route in the Step-van.... then, go back and grab your trailer for the drive back.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

UPS will leave those trailers at shippers whose volume might overwhelm a package car during high volume periods like Christmas.

Saw an 87-88 T-Bird turbo this morning, and an early 80s big Blazer, diesel, camo paint - think Chet's vehicle in "Weird Science".

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708

Saw a '74-ish Plymouth Satellite 4-door in traffic yesterday. Looked to be in very good shape. First time in, well, decades...

@texases said:
    Saw a '74-ish Plymouth Satellite 4-door in traffic yesterday. Looked to be in very good shape. First time in, well, decades...

Heck, it's been long enough since I've seen one of those I had to google it to refresh my memory! I can picture the '71-72 style, thanks in part to the Brady Bunch, as well as a childhood friend whose parents had a Satellite wagon. And I can picture the coupe, as they've had a much better survival rate and they're common at car shows. Well, the Mopar show in Carlisle, at least! And thanks to just about every TV copcar in the late 70's and much of the '80's, I know the "New Small Fury" that took over for '75-78.

But anyway, the '73-74 looks pretty much like the '71-72. Anything BUT beautiful, but not ugly either. Sort of an anonymous wallflower.

It's interesting how, from 1971-74, Mopar tried hard to differentiate the coupes from the sedan/wagon models in their midsized lineups, going so far as to give them different front and rear end treatment.

Other than the bumpers, I liked the '73 and '74 Satellite better than the '71 and '72. Those earlier ones had too small of a front wheel opening IMHO! ;)

We're opposites on those Sebrings Uplander. I found the 73/74 coupes to squarish.

Happy 25th Anniversary to my 1989 Cadillac Brougham purchased new at Brenner Cadillac-Oldsmobile on Paxton Street in Harrisburg, PA on Saturday, January 28, 1989!

Congrats to you and the Brougham! Is the dealer still in Harrisburg? I work in Camp Hill every so often and I'm not familiar with that name, not that I would be. Almost certain I've seen exits for Paxton St. though.

Brenner closed that location up several years ago, I think. Oh, and to show what a small world it is, my grandmother's childhood home is about a quarter mild from that location, on Lenox Street. Right behind Faulkner Honda, which is on Paxton. FWIW, Paxton Street runs parallel to I-83 through Harrisburg, and I think is ultimately taken over by 322 as you go out towards Hershey. My guess is Paxton used to be the main road through that area, before I-83 was built.

edited January 2014

Congrats! Did you plan to keep 'er forever way back then? And still looking like new.

I'm at about 19 years with the fintail now. I think Andre has had the DeSoto for eons, too.

@lemko said:
    Happy 25th Anniversary to my 1989 Cadillac Brougham

Yeah, I bought the DeSoto in September 1990. The 25th I think, but can't remember for sure. I've only had my '85 Silverado since October 2002, but it's been in the family since new. Granddad bought it over the summer back in 1985. I think it was in July.

I bought my '63 Lark Skytop in May '88 and sold in summer '11. Bought my '64 Daytona HT in April 2009 and sold it in summer '11. Bought my '66 Daytona in fall '11 and sold fall '12. I want another old car so bad I can taste it, although I've seen service availability substantially decline between when I bought my first and when I sold my last.

edited January 2014

That Brougham is still the classic 1980 styling with the body-colored side moldings that started in '84 or maybe '85, and I always liked that feature. The next year Brougham, with the big headlights and the silver on the sides down low, never looked as nice as yours I think.

@fintail said:
    Congrats! Did you plan to keep 'er forever way back then? And still looking like new.

I'm at about 19 years with the fintail now. I think Andre has had the DeSoto for eons, too.

I had a feeling it was going to be with me a long time even back then. She almost didn't make it to see today - there was an attempted theft of it back in 1993 and the recent accident this past October.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,094

@lemko said:
    I had a feeling it was going to be with me a long time even back then. She almost didn't make it to see today - there was an attempted theft of it back in 1993 and the recent accident this past October.

That's a nice car, Lemko. Congrats!

I've had my '68 Cutlass since November of 1993, so I'm in my 20th year with it now.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@fintail said:

I fall between Fin and Lemko. I am coming up on 23 years with my 126. I didn't plan that long a tenure for it, but at this point I'm looking into being buried in it when it is my time to go (I'm convinced that it will still be running sweetly when I no longer am.)

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,319

Have had the Mustang for 22+ years. One more emissions test!

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Cool that there are so many long-term owners here. Get those rats through school so you can join the club, uplanderguy :)

For car sightings, 80s day here once again - popup lights Accord, Mercury Topaz, K-car LeBaron convertible (not woody).

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550

I may have my TL for 20 years eventually. Not because I am emotionally attached to it. Just might never be able to afford to upgrade at this point!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited January 2014

I just realized...I think my grandmother's cousin has had her ratty '89 Coupe DeVille around 22 years now. She bought it from her boyfriend in 1992 I think. I can remember a time in the summer of 1993 when she drove me up to work in it when my '68 Dart was out of commission for whatever reason.

It's pretty ratty looking these days, but I drove it about a year ago. Actually still seems pretty tight, handles fairly well, and the 4.5 V-8 sounds a LOT healthier than its rated power output of what? 170 or so?

Saw an STS-V today, kind of a rare car.

This evening spotted a Volvo 122/Amazon wagon, and a nice likely restored 70s VW van.

@fintail said:
    This evening spotted a Volvo 122/Amazon wagon, and a nice likely restored 70s VW van.

My parents owned a (new) '68 122 and I owned a (very used) '62 122, both sedans. I could really get into owning a wagon, preferably with overdrive.

edited February 2014

From the Historic Vehicle Association's site, yesterday, Jan. 31, was the day the last Chrysler, Dodge, and Studebaker automobiles were made before the full conversion to war production. Their Facebook site included this Packard photo:

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/12/last1942Packard_1000.jpg

Hard to believe that was a scant 16 years, four months before I was born. Heaven help us if we'd ever have that need to convert production, today.

Sorry, that was "last Chrysler, Plymouth, and Studebaker"...instead of Dodge. For some reason I am unable to edit that post although I just made it. Insert frown face here.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Did the gear show up at all when you tried to edit?

edited February 2014

There most likely will never be a massive intensive ground war like that again, so I wouldn't worry. Although if there is, I am sure our allies in Blighty can get us to join in again.
    And 70 years later, many defacto military occupations exist going back to that time, all via the largesse of the American taxpayer.

@uplanderguy said:
    Hard to believe that was a scant 16 years, four months before I was born. Heaven help us if we'd ever have that need to convert production, today.

edited February 2014

Steve, not seeing the usual 'gear' at all, even this morning.

edited February 2014

Thanks. Noticed one other formatting oddity this morning that's probably not related but we'll report it. Haven't heard of anyone else having editing issues (although Fin's post just above wound up "blank").

To try to rule out issues on your end maybe you can log off and see if it's back when you log on again. Or maybe something is confused in your cache.

Well, NOW I see it! Complaint averted. I definitely didn't get it the other day when I posted about the end of production pre-WWII.

edited February 2014

lol, never fails, just sent an email off. Hopefully it's just a one-off, but we'll watch for others. Thanks!

I saw a BMW E30 Touring in downtown Bellevue this morning - these were never sold new in NA. Now that the arcane arbirary 25 year rule has moved up to 1989, there are more cult cars that will come over.