Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,722

@explorerx4 said: 2.7 sounds like it could be a good fit in the Explorer.

For a sport model, sure. Otherwise the 2.3L EB would be the natural replacement for the 3.5L V6.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,828

@akirby said: For a sport model, sure. Otherwise the 2.3L EB would be the natural replacement for the 3.5L V6.

I was thinking the 2.7 could use the extra torque to get the Explorer moving, compared to a mid size sedan.

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,306

@akirby said: My guess is we'll see the 2.3L EB in a Fusion Sport while the MKZ gets the 2.3L EB and 2.7L EB.

I can't wait to see a high power Fusion, and a larger four should help it feel stronger off boost. One of the continuing complaints I hear over at the Optima site is poor off-boost 2.0 T performance.

The 2.3 EB is allegedly going in the new Mustang too, but not right away. C/D interviewed several Ford product planners and they said maybe in the 2016 to 2017 model year. In the meantime the 3.7 and 5.0 coyote continue on.

"Back in the day" my girlfriend in HS had a Mustang SVO with the original 2.3 turbo. It was fast for the times, but broke down a lot. I don't remember the year, but it had the aero headlights and twin spoilers on the hatch, ala Mercur XR4Ti.

Chris Skalski: Network Engineer 2012 Kia Optima EX

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,722

The 2015 mustang is getting the 2.3L EB immediately as is the 2015 Lincoln MKC - no waiting. Consider that the 2.3L EB will make over 300 lb/ft of torque compared to the current Explorer/Edge's 3.5L which only makes about 280 lb/ft and you just don't need the 2.7L EB for the mainstream model.

An AWD 2.3L EB Fusion Sport with suspension tuning would be a screamer.

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,016

"The 2.3 EB is allegedly going in the new Mustang too, but not right away. C/D interviewed several Ford product planners and they said maybe in the 2016 to 2017 model year. In the meantime the 3.7 and 5.0 coyote continue on."

Man, where do you come up with this stuff? You gotta get another source besides C/D, I guess. LOL. The 2015 is getting the 2.3 ecoboost as an upcharge over the v6 and this has been widely reported during the last few weeks on just about every car website out there. For example: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/12/2015-ford-mustang-first-look.html

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785

@akirby said: I think it will show up on Lincolns first at lower volume with more profit per vehicle, but it could eventually show up in more mainstream vehicles. It took an entire Alcoa plant just to supply the F150. The interesting thing to me is how durable it is. This is not "beer can" aluminum to quote the negatards - the military uses this for blast shields.

They also snuck a 2015 truck into the Baja 1000 disguised as a 2014 model with aluminum and the new 2.7L ecoboost engine. It wasn't fast but it finished the 800+ mile course with no breakdowns or problems. Ford also put the 2014 aluminum panels on work trucks in the real world and it performed as good if not better than steel.

This technology is here to stay - just depends on how fast and how economically they can roll it out. I think Ford has at least a 5 year head start.

I think akirkby is right that Ford has a big head start in using aluminum. Ford CEO Alan Mulally, who previously was at Boeing, was obviously comfortable with working with the material. They began the F-150 project way back in 2009, and the truck itself won't be launched until Fall of 2014 as a 2015 model, and so that does represent 5 years and billions and billions of dollars of investment.

In terms of dollars and cents, however, it's not clear how much the customer will come out ahead. On the one hand, higher mpg and higher payloads will make the new F-150 more economical and more functional. But on the other hand, list prices will probably be at least $1000 more, and apparently insurance and repair costs will be higher. And so it seems like it will probably be the best truck on the market, but in terms of money savings it might end up being only a small benefit.

edited January 21

@m6user said: "The 2.3 EB is allegedly going in the new Mustang too, but not right away. C/D interviewed several Ford product planners and they said maybe in the 2016 to 2017 model year. In the meantime the 3.7 and 5.0 coyote continue on."

Man, where do you come up with this stuff? You gotta get another source besides C/D, I guess. LOL. The 2015 is getting the 2.3 ecoboost as an upcharge over the v6 and this has been widely reported during the last few weeks on just about every car website out there. For example: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/12/2015-ford-mustang-first-look.html

Yep, I read the article wrong. "We had only a two engine lineup to start with" right underneath that line was "the 5 liter coyote and the 300 hp V6". It is on page 33. Sorry!

@benjaminh said: since 2009...

Repeat post from me. Ford has built aluminum bodied vehicles since 1989. There was a quote in one article from a Ford spokesperson citing 25 years experience. That bought me around to Jaguar.

Had a nice little snowstorm here in DC. Whole city shutdown Tuesday during the event, which is nice because we can all enjoy it. It snows 6" or more MAYBE twice a year. Packed snow traction is great, rarely did the traction control kick in, and the lumpy surface was soaked up by the suspension gracefully. Family felt safe and secure, and I did not miss my Grand Cherokee at all.

Haven't driven my Fusion this week. I'm bringing in for oil change/tire rotation on Saturday. No way to wash it this week, was 2 degrees this morning, so I'm trying bring it in only semi dirty.

@explorerx4 said: Haven't driven my Fusion this week. I'm bringing in for oil change/tire rotation on Saturday. No way to wash it this week, was 2 degrees this morning, so I'm trying bring it in only semi dirty.

A man after my own heart! When I dug out my Optima she was still clean and tires still shining from Armor-All Tire Foam, (which I recommend). It is so cold that nothing has melted, so my car is still pretty clean. SInce I live in a second floor condo, I usually go over to my moms to wash it.

I used a local brush-less car wash about a week ago, but my wheels, tires, and wheel-wells still had dirt and brake dust all over them afterward. I politely talked to the manager about it, and he said that I would have to pay for the "super wash" ($18) if I wanted my wheels treated. WHAT??? I just want them clean. I will treat them myself. As far as I know, wheels are connected to the car, and I just want them washed!! Ugggh.

@cski. I only use the brushless if I'm not going to wash it myself. It doesn't do a good job cleaning the wheels, but I do it mostly to wash off the underneath and the wheel wells.

edited January 25

It was supposed to be a simple oil change/tire rotation.

I got there a few minutes early for my appointment. The SA said they were backed up and it would take a bit longer than usual, but I made the appointment with that in mind, so it wasn't a big deal. SA came to get me from the customer lounge and says service is done, but there is a problem. Brings me over to the car and the back bumper is damaged from backing into something. How you do that with reverse sensors and a wide angle rear view camera is beyond me. We will work next week on getting it fixed. At least they owned up to it. Then, I noticed they put he wrong oil in the car, so I waited while they changed it again. It looks like the just overwrote the 2 in 5w20 on the reminder sticker with a 3. Not feeling too confident. When I got home, I decided I should check the oil life indicator and of course it was not reset. After the car cooled off, I checked the tire pressures. I had set them all last weekend.The front 2 were over inflated and the other 2 were each a different pressure. It just keeps on getting better and better.

explorerx4: Yikes, what a nightmare. Was that at a Ford dealership? Best wishes for this to somehow be resolved in a good way.

@benjaminh said: explorerx4: Yikes, what a nightmare. Was that at a Ford dealership? Best wishes for this to somehow be resolved in a good way.

Yes, it was at a Ford dealer. I have cars serviced at 3 other Ford dealers and everything goes smoothly. It was my 3rd visit to this dealer and each one has had some kind of issue.

wowza. Worth a drive to avoid that place!

I bet it is the dealer that is closest/most convenient too. Don't go back there, and make sure to write it up on Yelp so others can avoid the same hassles. I had problems at my Kia dealer too, but only when asked to go beyond oil and filter change. Your dealer didn't even get the basics right and crashed your car as a bonus??? Oh sh**.

I still check the oil before I leave the dealer (to make sure they remembered to refill it) and then I check it again the next morning to make sure they didn't cross-thread the filter or forgot to put the oil plug back in. Also, I am familiar with the towel-off-the-caps method of "topping off" or "checking" your fluids.

Following up costs me nothing, especially after a Mobil station cross-threaded the filter in my '92 Saturn causing it to run out of oil downtown in DC, where there are zero gas stations. Nice. :s

Anyone else have recent dealer issues on their mid-size?

I bought our two Hondas at two different dealers in Louisville. One of them is huge, and the other is pretty small in comparison. But so far they've both offered very good service at fairly good prices. They always as for me to rate them highly with Honda, which I do because everything has been good. But it seems like Honda is breathing down their necks a bit!

according to Auto News, Hyundai dealers are asking for added help to get rid of their 2013 models. Could be some great deals out there on the Sonata....

Hyundai dealers seek incentives to sell off 2013 models

Ryan Beene Automotive News January 27, 2014 - 4:12 pm ET NEW ORLEANS -- Hyundai's U.S. dealers are hungry for additional incentive support to clear out leftover 2013 inventory as the brand seeks to recover U.S. market share.

Despite being generally positive, with applause often punctuating Hyundai's nearly two-hour make meeting here at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention, dealers voiced concerns about excess 2013 model year inventories, and some asked the factory for extra incentives to clear out outdated models....

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20140127/RETAIL06/140129785/hyundai-dealers-seek-incentives-to-sell-off-2013-models#ixzz2rdpzXSVh Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

What about over at Kia? Is there a similar glut of 2013 models Ben?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,930

already seeing cheap leases on Sonata and Elantra GLS. if they get crazy to blow out '13s next month, certainly worth taking a look at.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

edited January 28

Kia's new flagship is to be called the K900. In their home market it is simply the K-9. Not sure I see the genius in essentially calling the car a dog! I guess someone in marketing seems to have serious cojones. It sure is a nice looking sedan; powered by the 3.8 liter V6 or the TAU 5.0 liter V8. 2 pictures are attached.

Back to the Optima,. I Just got back from a 75 mile trip. Got 33 MPG! That is an all time high. I guess my car likes the 16 degree air.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,103

K-9? Maybe that why the grille is shaped like a dog biscuit. :)

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    edited January 28

@ab348 said: K-9? Maybe that why the grille is shaped like a dog biscuit. :)

ROFLMAO. That was great. The grill on Kia's has always been my negative view. Looks like a meth user's smile.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,910

cski,

Optima 's k-9 will compete with Hyundai's new redesign 2015 Genesis. I bought my 2013 Genesis, R-Spec sedan 5.0 in Nov, with 430 hp and 0-60 in 4.2 sec. This car is so fast its scary. On the highway from 30 to 100 in seconds.. I bought a 2013 model cause i did not like the new look of the 2015 model comming this spring. If you check out the Detroit Auto show they have a 30 min presentation by hyundai on this new redesign 2015 Genesis on sale in spring time at dealerships.. The list of standard/ tech features are very impressive for 45k. Lane departure system, CO2 sensors, heads up display on dash, pw train modes from, Auto to Sport to Eco to Awd system, New underbody structure, Senserory Surround braking system with fog and rain detection. 1100 watt 18 speaker with amp lexicon radio w, 7.1 surround system.. and the list goes on.

I have the 1000 watt 17 speaker 7.1 surround in my 2013 and it is by far one of the best radio's i have had in any high end vehicle.. The Bang olufsen system is a close comparison to this if you had a Audi or Bmw or lexus with mark levinson system..

What impressed me the most in this 2015 model was the new braking system with laser camera's front back and sides that will auto brake vehicle if the system detects on comming vehicle to close or a crash.. This system alerts when vehicles are comming from behind very fast next to you.. Great feature especially at night with the rain and fog..

Hyundai Genesis may be back on top in the 40 to 50k segment. lotta bang for your buck here..

The big question is??????..................... Are folks going to buy a 45k Hyundia.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

edited January 28

>

@ab348 said: K-9? Maybe that why the grille is shaped like a dog biscuit. :)

God, I didn't see that until you pointed it out. LOL. Right away I didn't care for the Cadenza grill at all, and even though this one is done much better than the Cadenza, it does indeed look like the K-9 has a bone in it's mouth. OMG. It is the worst part of the Cadenza hands down.

Still, it doesn't bother me as much as the over $120,000 S-Class "clown wheel". Yes, I am going to attach it again...

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,756

@brian125

"Are folks going to buy a 45k Hyundai?"

Yes, as long as it had $15K worth of incentives plus 0% financing:) Oh, and a V8 would be a requirement:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,910
    edited January 28

The s class clown wheel would look even beter inside the Acura tl. The back of the Acura looks like a big smiley face..

Consumer reports had the best line on that model.. looks like this Acura got hit with the big ugly stick............. Thank god they redesigned it.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

The back of the TL looks like Ultra-mans head. Especially the 1997 2.2 TL (thinly-disguised Accord)